Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are you fingering....Is it good ?

I'm currently on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s, the 6s is a fairly recent thing, a few months, but have had the Air 2 around for a while.

I can stress the CPU on the Air 2 quite easily..but as long as I'm careful about what I try to use together then it is generally fine. It is still going strong and not overly limiting. Nice size for couch music making.

I am having fun with the phone, more so than I thought I would...some apps are just too fiddly on the small screen but others work really well. I think playing rather than editing is the key.

I'd like easier transfer of stuff from the phone to the iPad, but hey, you can't have everything :)

Comments

• iPhone XR and 2018 iPad. Agreed, editing on the iPhone is pants. Some stuff I do prefer on the iPhone (Blocs wave and Auxy come to mind). Everything else really requires the iPad. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 2018 model but I don't really throw anything too intensive at it.

• 😂 Nominated for thread title of the year. Might walk away with the award. Fingers crossed, lol.

• iPad Air (first generation) had it around 6 years and it works as well as it did the day I bought it ... which is, essentially, not great with more than a couple of apps open. It seems to have a mind of its own on which day to let apps play nicely together without crackles. Also have iPhone 6s since it was the current iPhone. Good compromise between size and again usability for iOS music apps... think the battery could do with replacing TBH.
    More recently, I’ve been using both as standalone evantide Blackhole hosts in my hardware set up 😎

• Squier Affinity Tele, it's pretty stellar for the price under 200€. Last time I played was around 20 years ago and this quality would have easily cost double back then. Of course, there are the downsides, like the odd fret that sticks out just so you have to either file it or adjust to a larger string height, or the jack, which keeps unscrewing itself, but those are fixable… one day.

I'd love to make it compatible with iOS but it isn't in this year's budget.

• @Stiksi , Hi, Connecting your guitar to ipad/iphone doesn’t have to be expensive, the IK Multimedia irig 2 for example isn’t expensive (I don’t have it, but it seems an ok solution if your budget isn’t great). That is if you have an ipad/iphone, which is not clear to me.

• edited September 2019

I'm still soldiering along with my trusty iPad Air 1. I generally use a desktop DAW and use the iPad either as an idea generator (starting beats in Gadget, Beathawk, or iMaschine etc. and then exporting out), or as an external synth via Studiomux, IDAM, etc. I can't run later versions of GarageBand w/ Alchemy (and other cool later additions) and Ravenscroft Piano is not a very viable experience for me, but other than that, since I stay within limitations, I haven't felt that much of a crunch. I won't be able to upgrade to iPadOS, so that may start to hasten my need to upgrade. But I kinda feel like the desktop DAW is just so much more efficient and powerful (and is likely to remain that way for some time -- I mean, the screen real estate alone!), that even if I had the latest, most powerful iPad, I would probably continue to do most of my serious, final production on the desktop. Mostly, as someone who also does graphic design/illustration in addition to music, I'm probably more motivated to upgrade by curiosity about the Apple Pencil.

• iPad Pro 11" here, which I'm very happy with still. Only complaint I really have is that the Apple cover for it is getting all wrinkly (for lack of a better word) for no reason, thou it sounds like this is kinda common sadly.

Just ordered an iPhone Pro too. I like my X a lot, but the lightening connector and battery charging have been giving me a lot of issues lately. And yes, I cleaned it out 🙃 I upgrade my phone every other release cycle anyway, so I'd probably have upgraded regardless.

• edited September 2019

I’m fingering my Air2 and the valves on my trumpet! Air2 working as well as ever.

• edited September 2019

I have quite the pristine collection consisting of the glorious iPhone 6, the ever fabulous Air 1, and the always stylish Mini 2, although I must be delicate with this one since I dropped it face down on the floor and cracked the shit out of the screen I’ve yet to replace. Alongside those, I have a Yamaha PSS-480 and a Westone guitar I’m playing with

• Rocking a 2016 9.7” iPad Pro 128gb and an iPhone 6S+. No complaints...although I’ve been seriously tempted to upgrade to a 2017 10.5” Pro w/at least 256gb. I would be all about the new 11” Pro, but, I really can’t live without a dedicated headphone jack.

• Air 2 still going strong for me.
    I got an iPod Touch 6th gen recently.
    I came to the same conclusion, playing on the small device is more enjoyable for me.
    Editing on the small device is hell.

To transfer between, Airdrop is amazing.
    BT Midi between devices is pretty awesome too.
    Recording any non-connected apps is so easy with an audio device plugged into one or the other.

I still have an old iPad 2, but that just runs some old-timey apps. I hardly fire that one up anymore.

• 32 gig 9.7 iPad, should have got a 128 but I had no idea how much I’d actually use it. Other than space limits, I’ve got no complaints.

• iPad 2018 WiFi 128GB. Display backlight broke after only 7 months of very light indoor use, it was never dropped or got too hot. Luckily was within the warranty period so I got it replaced, hopefully the new one will last longer.
    Some say that the display was of low quality compared to the pro models but even though I do a lot of photography, viewing and simple editing on it, it's good enough for me.

• @Marcel said:
    @Stiksi , Hi, Connecting your guitar to ipad/iphone doesn’t have to be expensive, the IK Multimedia irig 2 for example isn’t expensive (I don’t have it, but it seems an ok solution if your budget isn’t great). That is if you have an ipad/iphone, which is not clear to me.

Thanks for the suggestion Marcel, but I have a fairly high standard when it comes to IO. Irigs, especially the ones that rely on the headphone jack, don’t really produce the quality I’m after. I need a high quality input and outputs and preferably also an expression pedal input in the interface.

I’ve bought cheap dongles in the past, but it’s invariably been wasted money, I’d just get the expensive one later anyway and the resale value of a cheap dongle is pretty nonexistent. 😕

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I'm currently on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s, the 6s is a fairly recent thing, a few months, but have had the Air 2 around for a while.

I can stress the CPU on the Air 2 quite easily..but as long as I'm careful about what I try to use together then it is generally fine. It is still going strong and not overly limiting. Nice size for couch music making.

I am having fun with the phone, more so than I thought I would...some apps are just too fiddly on the small screen but others work really well. I think playing rather than editing is the key.

I'd like easier transfer of stuff from the phone to the iPad, but hey, you can't have everything :)

My __________________.

• I have gifted myself with many things to finger. My fingers are fickle.
    Mainly fingering an iPad Pro 10.5, Surface Pro 3, and a beautiful (and forbidden, sort of) Huawei tablet, where I’ve found apps, including Android only stuff, that would keep me happy on a desert island with no Apple products in sight. I’d keep the SP3 on the island too.

• edited September 2019

A discussion on a potentially vulgar term appears below. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the please, carry on!

Is anybody else totally put off by the use of "fingering"? Maybe it's just an American idiom, but gah! It always grosses me out when Jakob uses it (even with his charming accent). It's OK if you tell me I'm the one with the problem, but I feel like I'm in a junior high locker room! Basically, if you were ever a 12-year-old American boy, "fingering" means one thing and one thing only.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    A discussion on a potentially vulgar term appears below. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the please, carry on!

Is anybody else totally put off by the use of "fingering"? Maybe it's just an American idiom, but gah! It always grosses me out when Jakob uses it (even with his charming accent). It's OK if you tell me I'm the one with the problem, but I feel like I'm in a junior high locker room! Basically, if you were ever a 12-year-old American boy, "fingering" means one thing and one thing only.

Awww it's a beautiful thing...

• @ExAsperis99 Merriam-Webster Definition of fingering:

1a : the act or method of using the fingers in playing an instrument
    b : the marking (as by figures on a musical score) of the method of fingering
    2 : the act or process of handling or touching with the fingers

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fingering

According to Merriam Webster, Jakob is using exactly the right term to describe what we are doing. But what do I know, English is not my mother tongue.

• There beneath the blue suburban skies
    A four of fish and finger pies

The Beatles “Penny Lane”
    🤔