Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB3 - Basic MIDI function doesn’t work...

edited September 2019 in Support and Feedback

I tried to run Quantum with Sunrizer, which couldn’t be any easier, right? Yet, Sunrizer can only receive MIDI on Omni, not the channel specified by Quantum, what’s the deal?!

Comments

• @cozido said:
    I tried to run Quantum with Sunrizer, which couldn’t be any easier, right? Yet, Sunrizer can only receive MIDI on Omni, not the channel specified by Quantum, what’s the deal?!

You might want to give the topic a more meaningful title.

• @cozido said:

Still it in a host AUM choose the channel from that.

• Thanks for the replies, I have changed the title as well... I don’t have AUM, why would that be needed for such simple task? I can send MIDI from Quantum to Sunrizer directly without any issue, the MIDI channel assign works just as it should. But, AB fails me...

• @cozido said:
    Thanks for the replies, I have changed the title as well... I don’t have AUM, why would that be needed for such simple task? I can send MIDI from Quantum to Sunrizer directly without any issue, the MIDI channel assign works just as it should. But, AB fails me...

You say that AB fails you, but your post doesn't mention AB. Can you provide more details about your setup?

Did you set Sunrizer's MIDI input to be only the channel you want? Omni is Sunrizer's default.

also, you might want the change the topic to something like "Sunrizer/Quantum Setup Problem". "Basic Midi Function Doesn't Work" is pretty vague and might be overlooked by people that can solve your problem.

• Hi - I’m assuming this is an Audiobus support thread? We tend to chat about all sorts of iOS music apps here hence the title comment.

I just tested adding Quantum to the MIDI lane of AB and Sunrizer to the audio output and midi appears to be working without having to change any settings. Maybe post a screenshot of your setup?

Quantum is amazing isn’t it! 🙂

• edited September 2019

As mentioned earlier, Sunrizer receives MIDI on Omni just fine, it’s when I tried to specify Channel 9 that it fails to play. The issue is not limited to Sunrizer, I tried several other synths, none of them worked, therefore I suspect that Audiobus is the problem.

As for the setup - not much there tbh, Midi lane has Quantum as the source, and a synth as the receiver. In the audio lane, the synth is the source and speaker is the output - couldn’t be any more straightforward... Did I miss a magic button in AB3 somewhere? :o

• @cozido said:
    As mentioned earlier, Sunrizer receives MIDI on Omni just fine, it’s when I tried to specify Channel 9 that it fails to play. The issue is not limited to Sunrizer, I tried several other synths, none of them worked, therefore I suspect that Audiobus is the problem.

As for the setup - not much there tbh, Midi lane has Quantum as the source, and a synth as the receiver. In the audio lane, the synth is the source and speaker is the output - couldn’t be any more straightforward... Did I miss a magic button in AB3 somewhere? :o

Maybe save and share the preset... and or include screenshots here.

Could be just one simple thing that somebody will spot from the extra info.

• Remind me where you set the MIDI output channel in Quantum? I’ll try to test.

• edited September 2019

Audiobus does not use MIDI channels. If any app that is in Audiobus MIDI lane offers a channel selector, it's broken and needs to be fixed.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Audiobus does not use MIDI channels. If any app that is in Audiobus MIDI lane offers a channel selector, it's broken and needs to be fixed.

I did not know that! I use AUM more and use the channel filtering often.

So just so I’m clear, you cannot run different apps on different midi channels in Audiobus?

• edited September 2019

@gusgranite said:

@SevenSystems said:

So just so I’m clear, you cannot run different apps on different midi channels in Audiobus?

Well, I hope I'm still current on this affair -- but when I implemented Audiobus MIDI support in Xequence, the Audiobus documentation explicitly mentioned that MIDI channels should not be used (instead, you have MIDI lanes anyway), and apps should always just leave the channel of outgoing MIDI at 1.

That's why for example in Xequence, as soon as you select Audiobus as a source or destination, the channel selector disappears.

So no, you can't, or at least aren't supposed to, run different apps over different channels on the same MIDI lane. But is there any practical situation where you would need that?

• if you don't want AB to route all the midi, you can send MIDI from Quantum directly to Sunrizer using their MIDI ports.

• @SevenSystems said:

@gusgranite said:

@SevenSystems said:

Well, I hope I'm still current on this affair -- but when I implemented Audiobus MIDI support in Xequence, the Audiobus documentation explicitly mentioned that MIDI channels should not be used (instead, you have MIDI lanes anyway), and apps should always just leave the channel of outgoing MIDI at 1.

That's why for example in Xequence, as soon as you select Audiobus as a source or destination, the channel selector disappears.

So no, you can't, or at least aren't supposed to, run different apps over different channels on the same MIDI lane. But is there any practical situation where you would need that?

I think I mostly use the midi channels to send different individual drum midi on different channels and out to different apps. From the same drum app if you know what I mean.

• edited September 2019

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

@gusgranite said:
    Remind me where you set the MIDI output channel in Quantum? I’ll try to test.

Please see the circled section:

@SevenSystems said:

Ah, that must be it. The reason why I can’t use Omni, is that I use some hardware synths, with each assigned to its own MIDI channel, so if Sunrizer/soft synth receives in Omni mode, then all the sequences from Quantum will be mixed together. I hope that makes sense.

• @cozido said:
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

@gusgranite said:
    Remind me where you set the MIDI output channel in Quantum? I’ll try to test.

Please see the circled section:

@SevenSystems said:

Ah, that must be it. The reason why I can’t use Omni, is that I use some hardware synths, with each assigned to its own MIDI channel, so if Sunrizer/soft synth receives in Omni mode, then all the sequences from Quantum will be mixed together. I hope that makes sense.

You don't need to use AB lanes to get MIDI from Quantum to Sunrizer. Quantum can send to Sunrizer on its own in which case Sunrizer will respect your midi channel settings.

• @espiegel123 said:
    if you don't want AB to route all the midi, you can send MIDI from Quantum directly to Sunrizer using their MIDI ports.

Yep I use this method all the time on my iOS 10 devices. Never have issues

• Got it, learn something new today. Thanks!