Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1468259834

Description:

miRack is a Eurorack-style modular synthesizer. It aims to provide user experience and audio quality close to those of the real Eurorack hardware.

miRack is based on VCV Rack by Andrew Belt, and started in 2018 as a fork optimized for single-board computers (e.g. Raspberry Pi), touch-based devices and web. Now it's available on iOS.

The app comes with a growing collection of open-source modules that are being created by third-party developers for VCV Rack and adapted for mobile devices by miRack team.

Supports Core MIDI input and background audio mode.

Newer devices are recommended for better performance. Modules may vary greatly in CPU usage, the size of the patch your device is able run will depend on the modules used.

Comments

• Do we have an 'included modules' list?
    (And well, I only have an iPad Air 2 so how well it runs on it is also a question that haunts me).

• Can we use it in UAM? Anyone bought it?

• Phenomenal work @mifki !

Wasn’t expecting this so soon.

One question. How to delete a module?

• I bought it and I didn’t even understand how to use it.
    Is there a guide or a manuale where I can study how this thing works? I’m so noob with modular.

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    Do we have an 'included modules' list?
    (And well, I only have an iPad Air 2 so how well it runs on it is also a question that haunts me).

I’m Air 2 over here as well. I’ll let you know!

Firstly, it’s awesome. I mean it really is the VCV experience. Mod rates are high, oscillators sound crisp, and drag and drop is the best way to use something like this. Can’t wait to make this a regular piece of virtual outboard gear for my main studio. Oh and tonnes of modules too. Most of what you’re likely to need. Comments/suggestions:

• Can’t figure out how to delete modules <- nvm, tap w/2 fingers!
    • A reset zoom button would be nice; there are buttons for everything else
    • Double tap to zero (as an option) would also be good
    • Any chance we can get a DSP usage bar? Especially for us paranoid Air 2 folk?
    • Browser could do with some love; a lot of wasted space below the thumbnails and the horizontal scroll is a bit janky. A grid overview with vertical scroll would be better I think

Anyway, never bought an app so fast in my life haha. A sound designers dream!

• Does it use the full screen of the iPad Pro 11"?

• @chimp_spanner said:

Good to know!
    I may end up getting this at some point...

Does it accept audio input a a modulation source?
    (And if it does, does the input selector support multiple inputs when using a multi-channel audio interface?).

How many of Mutable Instrument modules are included?

Does it load as an IAA Instrument/Generator into AUM?(That would be where I would record it's output).

Guess we'll get some videos of it in action soon :)

• @Charlesalbert said:
    I bought it and I didn’t even understand how to use it.
    Is there a guide or a manuale where I can study how this thing works? I’m so noob with modular.

1. I started with Modular Curiosity. It covers the basics of eurorack/modular system, connections, types of modules. And then it goes through the most interesting ones like Rings, Clouds, Rampage and etc.
    2. Then I learned a lot from my man Omri Cohen. He has a lot of basic stuff, tutorials for certain modules and techniques and of course a lot of live improvisations for inspiration.
    3. And if you need some advanced tips, welcome here later

If you have free 2-3 months to learn this stuff you will be regarded. Eurorack is a whole new world with a totally different approach to PC and iPad. And VCV in my opinion is the best way to get there without going broke. But before you started try to find the answer what you want from your system? Shoud it be groovebox, advanced sampling machine, comples mega synth, 24/7 ambient station (Rings thru the Clouds!), evolving drum machine with semi-random triggers or something else. it will help you choosing right modules and techniques.

Hope it will help, best luck

• Oh, this is from the Soundgrid developer! A blast from the past :-) Maybe among my first 5 apps, next to Thumbjam, Jasuto and those from the early days.

• Thats a fastest way from beta to official release you can dream on. Congrats!

If you allow requests, vote +1 for double zero tap, cpu bar and deleting modules (button? swype? throw it out of rack?)
    And I hope to see Valley and Vult modules in future releases. Vult has best filters, Valley has best Reverb and port of awesome Mutable Grids. And maybe Geodesics if it's not hard to code.

• "How to delete a module?"

Two fingers on module open module menu -> delete

• ^ Yeah figured it out just after I posted haha. This is actually probably the best way. Throwing out of the rack is fiddly. Just tried it out with a couple of MIDI controllers. Works flawlessly. Shame I gotta work now. I just wanna bleep bloop all day.

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:

@chimp_spanner said:

Good to know!

(And if it does, does the input selector support multiple inputs when using a multi-channel audio interface?).

Does it load as an IAA Instrument/Generator into AUM?(That would be where I would record it's output).

@samu the release notes, including list of modules: http://mifki.com/blog/version-1-0-of-mirack-is-finalised-and-heres-what-it-will-have/

• @lazyass said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    I bought it and I didn’t even understand how to use it.

1. I started with Modular Curiosity. It covers the basics of eurorack/modular system, connections, types of modules. And then it goes through the most interesting ones like Rings, Clouds, Rampage and etc.
    2. Then I learned a lot from my man Omri Cohen. He has a lot of basic stuff, tutorials for certain modules and techniques and of course a lot of live improvisations for inspiration.
    3. And if you need some advanced tips, welcome here later

If you have free 2-3 months to learn this stuff you will be regarded. Eurorack is a whole new world with a totally different approach to PC and iPad. And VCV in my opinion is the best way to get there without going broke. But before you started try to find the answer what you want from your system? Shoud it be groovebox, advanced sampling machine, comples mega synth, 24/7 ambient station (Rings thru the Clouds!), evolving drum machine with semi-random triggers or something else. it will help you choosing right modules and techniques.

Hope it will help, best luck

Thanks a lot. I will dive in.

• @Jocphone said:
    Phenomenal work @mifki !

@Jocphone 2 finger tap brings up a menu.

• 🙌🤘🎉🎊🎆

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

As always, all those funny ideas how to open a menu is a pain for the user.
    Long Press is standard and should be used beyond a single tap or simply a button, if REALY needed.

You never need more, and anything beyond should at best the user-configurable.

Anyway, fruitless comment.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Jocphone said:
    Phenomenal work @mifki !

@Jocphone 2 finger tap brings up a menu.

Thanks @Jumpercollins tried every other gesture I could think of. It's always the one you don't..

• Are patches compatible between VCV Rack and miRack?

• So I feel and got this one...

Nice Files.app integration for documents and stuff!
    For me a simple audio recorder would be enough to get the sounds out from the app :)
    (ie. 'Recordings' folder with 'time-stamp.wav' files for more sampler fodder for other apps hehe).

• Is there a way to send midi to the app from the same ipad yet? Or is that coming later?

• Happy happy joy.

Instabought and just playing around with the modules and routing seems the most intuitive thing in the world. A self contained sonic playground, love it already.

Looking forward to the touted updates (IAA/AB/AU connectivity and more modules, yes).

Thanks dev, I hope you shift a ton.

• @Carnbot said:
    Is there a way to send midi to the app from the same ipad yet? Or is that coming later?

@Carnbot I got Navichord to send into it.

• @Carnbot said:
    Is there a way to send midi to the app from the same ipad yet? Or is that coming later?

Yes, core midi is supported. Audiobus midi out also worked.

• @Samu said:
    So I feel and got this one...

Nice Files.app integration for documents and stuff!
    For me a simple audio recorder would be enough to get the sounds out from the app :)
    (ie. 'Recordings' folder with 'time-stamp.wav' files for more sampler fodder for other apps hehe).

I was planning to use screen recording audio for now.

• edited September 2019

@rinzai said:
    Are patches compatible between VCV Rack and miRack?

Sort of but not really. During the beta I downloaded several patches from patchstorage.com and that worked, except for the modules that are incompatible so you end up with a lot of empty space in your rack. Edit: and no cables!

MiRack is based on an older fork of VCV (0.6 I think) and as such is not VCV for iOS. It would probably be a good idea to establish its own category on Patchstorage.

• @Samu said:
    Do we have an 'included modules' list?

After a little more testing, still going pretty well. The only thing that introduces a lot of crackling/popping for me is visualisation (scopes and analysers). Everything else seems to work fine.

• @Samu said:

@chimp_spanner said:

Good to know!

Sorry just saw your reply! Atm it only has audio out (and only L+R, no support for multi-output interfaces yet).

I count 16 Audible Instruments modules!

Doesn't show up as an IAA for me in AUM. I intend to use this as a sampling source for my laptop based setup so it's not an issue for me. I can see how it would be for those producing exclusively on iPad though. I have half a mind to build a little side station for this with my Keystation Mini 32 and AKAI LPD8 permanently connected, ready to sample into Reason 10 (soon to be 11). Most exciting release on iPad in aaaages for me, despite the lack of features that I imagine will turn many iPad users off haha.

• "It would probably be a good idea to establish its own category on Patchstorage."

+1

• @bleep said:
    Oh, this is from the Soundgrid developer! A blast from the past :-) Maybe among my first 5 apps, next to Thumbjam, Jasuto and those from the early days.

Did you know SoundGrid reappeared in the store a couple of months back?