Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

controller - interface - ios workstation idea

edited September 2019 in General App Discussion

I wonder why no one builds a solid usb midi controller with like 9 faders, lots of knobs and endless encoders and 4x4 pads AAAAND with an integrated CLASS COMPLIANT 4in/4out audio interface (and mabye a 2-port usb hub) that also comes with an ios app that allows to configure midi channels/CC/PC and so on.

could be bus powered (maybe impossible) or battery powered, or just a ac adapter would be fine as well.
Maybe even with a small extendable ipad stand.

I do understand that the market for a pure iOs controller is rather small, but as it would be class compliant it could be used on mac/win as well.

i think of something like a Ableton Push, or akai force, or mpc live/x, and instead of it's own display/software, a "slot" or at least a place/stand for an ipad/iphone, as it's brain.

that would become the best stand-alone studio/live workstation EVER, considering the amount of available synths/plugins/daws on the appstore, the cpu power of the current ipads and compared to the stupid&poor proprietary plugins (sorry) that (for example) Akai is providing.

I don't think i'm asking too much - particularly not, if i compare it to the load of useless stuff that is coming out every day.

it's not even that "great idea" ... i'm more like "why isn't there such a thing already?!"

what do you guys think ?

Comments

• The market for iOS specific controller is pretty small. Also, with that many features such as audio interface plus midi controller knobs, faders, the cost would easily be close to $500, if not higher.

For example, Launch Control XL retails for $149, cheaper on sale. Midi Fighter Twistor is $219 retail. Cheap/decent audio interfaces from NI and Focusrite are around $150 or so.

Again, given the market, that would be a steep price for most iOS enthusiasts for all in one device. Most would prefer to decide on cost/features based on their needs and usage.

Some of those features are included in some midi keyboards but they vary greatly in execution. And not everyone wants a keyboard.

• well as i wrote, it would not be for ios only. it would work inside any win/mac DAW as well, given the fact that it's class compliant.

People are spending over 500 bucks for a NI Maschine or ableton push and they can use it just inside one ecosystem. "my" solution would work on any platform... and i am quite sure that it would be possible to build it for a retail price of around 400. Even a cheaper version, like a combination of the launchcountrol XL that you mentioned, with an integrated 2in/2out scarlet interface would be a good start an a great controller for AUM ...without the need of lots of cables/hubs. perfect for the mobile "IOS only" musician.

or for example: if the maschine mk3 had a usable midi-mode, was class compliant and had an ios app to programm the functions of the knobs and slider, i would buy it immediately.

• I was looking at Special Waves Mine S...but they say on their page it's just Macos and Windows...
    other than that I am really happy with the Faderfox MX12 ( amazing controller )

• y> @Sergiu said:

I was looking at Special Waves Mine S...but they say on their page it's just Macos and Windows...
    other than that I am really happy with the Faderfox MX12 ( amazing controller )

yea, they at least going in a bit a more innovative direction.
    but what i would love is a combination of flexible midi controller and Audio interface

• Maschine Mk3 if NI updates iMaschine as did with traktor... but don't hold your breath.

Also MPC Reinnassence (the big afair) are class compliant so check one at craiglist...

• the renaissance is AUDIO class compliant ?