Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launch Control XL

Thinking of picking up a Novation Launch Control XL. Would use largely with AUM or Cubasis, but also Groovebox and Ableton.

But the Akai MIDImix seems to do the same thing for $60 less.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Comments

• I have the MidiMix but i cannot stand the Encoders. They are very small and don’t feel good while turning. Regret it as a purchase fwiw.

• edited September 2019

Get the XL. I was debating same but lots of complaints online for both knobs and faders being cheap and small on the midi mix. I creates a custom mapping for AUM using Novation's editor and the XL works great.

• the XL is great. smooth faders and knobs with 8 banks.
    Editor is extremely basic and pretty clunky (no ios editor)

• I have the XL. No regrets.

• edited September 2019

Don't expect to be able to use either of those with Groovebox, I think Launchkey is the only supported controller. Also pretty sure they won't work with Cubasis mixer either, you can use it with synths/FX hosted in Cubasis though .
    XL is a great controller, and will work great in AUM and Ableton.

• Shouldn't they have updated the XL with bluetooth by now? Soon 2020 and all. I'm sure they do right after I decide to finally pick one up ...

• @bleep said:
    Shouldn't they have updated the XL with bluetooth by now? Soon 2020 and all. I'm sure they do right after I decide to finally pick one up ...

And then iOS 14 will break the Bluetooth....

• edited May 2020

Launch control xl is probably the best money i've spent in a very long time. My workflow has changed drastically. Now all my apps that doesnt have midi support of any kind are getting slowly abandoned.. or waiting till they get it. It is my central piece of equipment on my iOs studio and I f%#$ love it.

Buy it. My two cents.

• @Vlad11 said:
    Launch control xl is probably the best money i've spent in a very long time. My workflow has changed drastically. Now all my apps that doesnt have midi support of any kind are getting slowly abandoned.. or waiting till they get it. It is my central piece of equipment on my iOs studio and I f%#$ love it.

Buy it. My two cents.

Can I ask, do you just map each app to the LCXL and then use it from there? I'm a newborn baby when it comes to all this.

• @ashh said:

@Vlad11 said:

Buy it. My two cents.

Can I ask, do you just map each app to the LCXL and then use it from there? I'm a newborn baby when it comes to all this.

You can do that, loads up to 8 easily switchable templates. It’s a solid device BUT the MacOS editor is 32 bit, so it won’t work in Catalina. There’s an iOS app out there with an IAP around $10. Forgot the name but it’s mentioned in another thread, and has (had?) a serious bug so be sure it’s fixed.

• @ashh said:

@Vlad11 said:

Buy it. My two cents.

Yes. And you have 8 working scenes that you could map with different cc midi even on the same synth or an app like AUM. So you change the scene on the fly and have tons of controls for almost everything....

I have different templates on AUM and whenever I want to start a project i load the template and every control I need is on my hand.

And what to say about the faders.... just amazingly robust and gorgeous to play with.

The app for layout midi control the LCXL is midisynth. I'm beta testing some issues that had the previous version and so far so good it seems fixed. It is expensive but worthy if you don't have a desktop.

• Hey, thanks for the replies. Yes, I got it, but I have since moved offices for the pandemic. Good news: I have taken over the guest room as a studio/study. Bad news, nothing is connected anymore. The real good news is that now that I have a dedicated space, every peripheral will get its space. But that's another thread (COMING SOON: HOW DO I MAKE MY STUFF TALK TO EACH OTHER?)

• @audiblevideo said:
    The iOS LCXL editing app is MidiSynthControl

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midisynth-control/id1366849280

I have no idea how to use or what’s going on with this app. Wish I wouldn’t have spent $10 on it. Can’t seem to find and any documentation on how to use it with my launch control xl. Will it also activate the pad LEDs?

• I was in the same boat, indeed no documentation, plus you’ll need a direct connection to your iPad , no hub ( at least it didn’t work with mine)

• This works with a hub for me. Also, never looked for documentation, but essentially, it loads a screen that looks like the LCXL; you select a parameter and set what it controls (just like the desktop editor, which no longer works on my OS btw so this is a life saver), and send changes to the device. But it can’t do anything the regular editor can’t, like pad leds. Is there a specific thing that isn’t working for you? I reported a bug by paging the dev here or emailing, can’t recall, but he fixed the issue I had very quickly. Devs user name is leehu, and there’s a contact email in the app for questions.

• Is there a way to make launch control’s pads to light up?

• If its not built into the app, like LK or launchpad, youll have to script it with something

• edited August 2021

@supadom said:
    Is there a way to make launch control’s pads to light up?

It's all described in the programmer's reference:
    https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/9922/launch-control-xl-programmers-reference-guide.pdf