Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Podcast / Audiobook Production on iOS... experiences, workflow, tips, etc.

Podcast and Audiobook Production on iOS... experiences, workflow, tips, etc.

Who has used iOS to record, edit, and master any (mostly) spoken word material like audiobooks and podcasts? What has your experience been? What other gear do you use besides the iPad or iPhone? What versions of iPads have you used? Any noticeable advantages using an iPad Pro?

Favorite DAW or apps for recording and editing? Using included effects for mastering or using AUV3s? Are you able to complete the whole process on the iPad, or do you export to desktop? Any features you wish would come to iOS to make your workflow better or easier?

IPadOS looks very interesting (for those recording long sessions) with its external drive support, among other things...

edit: and feel free to add any comments or tips about voice projection and style, microphone techniques, and preferences when it comes to what speakers / narrators whose style you enjoy...

Comments

• edited September 2019

RX is the best thing for this, would be possible on iOS of course but lots more work to get similar results.

Depending on how many issues are in the material this can be a very time consuming task!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    RX is the best thing for this, would be possible on iOS of course but lots more work to get similar results.

Depending on how many issues are in the material this can be a very time consuming task!

Ah yes, would be very nice if there were something like Izotope RX 7 on iOS. (Recently, i started a thread asking about it). Have you used RX much for longish speaking tracks? It’s obviously great at cleaning up boo boos. Can you use it for recording as well, one-stop-shopping kind of thing?

It can potentially be very time consuming for sure. Audiobooks of 10 or 20 hours. Yikes. I’m just getting started, but have found it definitely helps not to make the mistakes in the first place. (no, really? 😄) Or at least reduce them as much as humanly possible. Strange how different it is to read a paragraph out loud, as opposed to reading it silently to yourself. So many a slip between cup and lip. Or perhaps between page, brain, and lip. For example, when there are more than three consecutive words that start with a vowel, I almost inevitably fudge it unless I slow down.

And thank goodness for that little feature on iOS where you can quickly select a word and have it pronounced without having to google it. 😊

• edited September 2019

It takes an average of 2-6 hours work per hour of finished audio. That’s not including recording time. Have had some extreme trainwreck dialogue that would be the 6 hour point.

Using RX since version 2 so usually end up with something workable.

You are right about trying to minimise issues during recording and also very brave to wear all those hats at once!!

I wouldn’t attempt this on iOS personally but very interested in how it works out for you 👍

Edit: This article just appeared on my Facebook feed, might be useful for you

https://medium.com/@drew.arigadas/improve-your-podcast-sound-without-spending-money-tips-from-an-audio-engineer-9a077721aca5

• @BlueGreenSpiral
    👍 Thanks for the reply and the link. Article has useful advice.

I have been going back and forth whether to go for an iPad Pro, or get a Windows laptop and run Reaper on it. Leaning towards the iPad. The Air 2 gets maxed out sometimes, and requires bouncing the track but shows me that it can get the job done. Without Brusfri noise removal (bit of a CPU hog, but great) and the Fabfilter apps, I would not stay on the iPad for the whole process. Those apps and others from 4 Pockets and Jens Guell are most helpful.

• No worries @haulin_notes

I should have mentioned that if there’s background music you can spend less time on the dialogue editing.

RX Elements is discounted at $29 quite often and should be easily available at KVR marketplace forum for a bit less than that. It will cover all the basics.

Reports on the Pro regarding audio have been mixed, I don’t have one but have noticed a few complaints here. Perhaps the regular iPad and a used laptop might be a good choice?

• @BlueGreenSpiral
    Thanks!

Yes, the Air 3 compares favorably with the Pro, at least in single core usage. Multi-core the Pro wins handily. But for nearly half the price, the Air 3 is bang-for-the-buck. (Curious if there will be a new Pro released this year. At least if that happened, the 2018 Pros would drop in $£€.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/ios_devices/58

Reaper is awesome (have it on desktop). Totally respect its ability and its business model. Just a little spoiled (and blown away) with the Fabfilter apps on iPad. Rebuying all them for Windows would hurt a bit... even though they are worth it. Also spoiled not being tried to the desk. Not saying that i edit in the loo... ok, I’ll admit that i do. Plus it has a natural reverb! 😄