Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Time-keepers daughter

edited September 2019 in Creations

More sequencing with Cracklefield
Hope you like
Strange the music I produce is not the music I would expected I might make...
Does the same happen to you?

Comments

• Sorry forgot to post the link... DER...

• @Metalman said:

My Mac shows no link but Ipad does very weird

• I didn't recognize the app named "Cracklefield". It looks like it runs on a desktop running Kontakt. Do you connect Desktop to iPad or transfer a MIDI file into an iPad app?

I think the interesting thing about Generative composition is the act of selecting what to publish or build on. You own the result in a way that an editor fashions a publication with
    editorial intent.

It's cool that the music surprises you but it also means you hear something special that delights you. If not you would just start again. Its a lot like the visual process of collage for me. At first I felt like a fraud since I didn't "play" the notes but the results came through me.

• Thank you so much for your wonderful comments it really means a lot to me. I am slowly been taken over by arthritus and deppression (plus am a dyslexick... lol),as an artist I have been able to create but music as come to the rescue. I always believe that if you are creative you will always have an itch to scratch.
    I love my Ipad but get frustrated at trying to produce whole songs upon it... I just end up with “thats nice snippets”... unworked ideas... realy anoying... bit like my spelling.... Polyphase on the Ipad I believe is the best generative app there is on the Ipad. but then I struggle when it comes to Midi and its connections. TC-Data is great but I find I can only get to connect properly to Cubasis (and I really am not fond of that sequencer, editor too small to see, connections really confussing). Nanostudio is easy to programme but hard to connect and Auria the same. And I find myself on my trusty Mac, got Logic originally and struggled the same way as the Ipad. Connections and broken ideas, then I discovered Live 9 more non lineiner (somebody please take my brain out and bash it with a stick) Live 9 coupled with Kontakt and Max4 Live brilliant. Access to great libraries and wonderful seqeuncing capabilities amazing.
    Track produced on Cracklefield, link below, great tutorials, using Kontakt and sound libraries from Atom.
    I have sent raw midi files to another user on Audiobus forum for him to work some musical ideas of his own just to discover where this rabbit hole may lead. I f you like working with raw midi and have a nose for musical motifs I could send you a couple if you wish. If this idea kicks off I thought I might run a sort of competion where any participant could take the midi file and produce their own track. When all creations are back we could run a poll to discover the winner. What do you reckon?
    http://waveforms.fairlyconfusing.net/2017/07/cracklefield.html
    Cheers buddy

• @Metalman said:
    I thought I might run a sort of competion where any participant could take the midi file and produce their own track. When all creations are back we could run a poll to discover the winner. What do you reckon?

Sure. @LinearLineman started a render some MIDI thread that was fun for a couple weeks and had some solid participation. Can you think of a way you could make the MIDI file public. We used dropbox last time for most file sharing. I'm not sure to run a poll but simply enjoy the music that gets made for it's own sake. Only a handful will probably engage since most have no problem doing their own projects and don't need a prompt to create. Just my thoughts. Take it for what it's worth to you.

• @McD said:

@Metalman said:
    I thought I might run a sort of competion where any participant could take the midi file and produce their own track. When all creations are back we could run a poll to discover the winner. What do you reckon?

Sure. @LinearLineman started a render some MIDI thread that was fun for a couple weeks and had some solid participation. Can you think of a way you could make the MIDI file public. We used dropbox last time for most file sharing. I'm not sure to run a poll but simply enjoy the music that gets made for it's own sake. Only a handful will probably engage since most have no problem doing their own projects and don't need a prompt to create. Just my thoughts. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Sounds good. Got work out how to do a public dropbox, though I know how to do a private.
    And yes probably leave the poll.
    Thanks for your input.

• @Metalman said:
    Sounds good. Got work out how to do a public dropbox, though I know how to do a private.

I recall dropbox offers you the option to generate a link to the current folder and you paste that link
    into a comment here and we can click and get the file(s) from that folder. Give it a shot in this thread as a test.

• @Metalman Do I understand you correctly in that you prefer pattern-based workflow over a linear timeline? If so, have you tried (the free LE version of) Korg Gadget?
    Or Imaginando's "LK" app which more or less mirrors Ableton Live's piano roll on the iPad so you can compose in Live (or even just on the iPad) with your fingers.

• @rs2000 said:
    @Metalman Do I understand you correctly in that you prefer pattern-based workflow over a linear timeline? If so, have you tried (the free LE version of) Korg Gadget?
    Or Imaginando's "LK" app which more or less mirrors Ableton Live's piano roll on the iPad so you can compose in Live (or even just on the iPad) with your fingers.

I have Gadget (the full version) though not tried LK. Gadget is cool though a little closed shop, however the new midi has opened some doors. I like yellowfier for some unusual results equally reslice and egoist are interesting but both mainly sample slice triiggering. Arthritus and poor eyesight are too obstacles.
    Creammobile is cool though sometimes a little shaky.

• @rs2000 said:
    @Metalman Do I understand you correctly in that you prefer pattern-based workflow over a linear timeline? If so, have you tried (the free LE version of) Korg Gadget?

Ok see if this works.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h2xbn1bxoz7420/last man.mid?dl=0

Cheers

• Here's a rendering of your MIDI file:

• Cool, love it. How much manipulating/editing did you do? Did you extract the bass and synth pads and how? Which DAW did you use?

• @Metalman said:
    Cool, love it. How much manipulating/editing did you do? Did you extract the bass and synth pads and how? Which DAW did you use?

1. I imported the MIDI file in Cubasis (good DAW for fact MIDI Rendering)
    2. I cloned the MIDI to 3 tracks
    3. track 1 is a Syntronik Reset
    4. track 2 is GM Pure Sythn bass preset with the original transposed down 2 octaves
    5. track 3 is an AudioLayer orchestral strings sample with ToneBoosters Reverb on a Shimmer setting
    6. using Shimmer makes notes show up much later obscurely the MIDI notes starts and create extra complexity
    7. track 4 is the AXON 2 drum machine processed with FAC Transient and UltraTap for some extra delays
    8. I create a mix down to a Wave file
    9. exported the Wave to Audioshare and trimmed it down to a few minutes from the original 9-10 minutes
    10. uploaded to SoundCloud

I don't really like the drums myself but none of the LUMbeats apps show up in Cubasis.
    I think I have to run LUMbeats in AudioBus and direct the audio out into Cubasis to use those apps
    with that DAW.

I'd also generally play some improvised instruments or drums over the top of a MIDI that's generated
    but I think that misses the point of just using MIDI as a starting point to build something up using Synths and FX units.

• @McD said:

@Metalman said:
    Cool, love it. How much manipulating/editing did you do? Did you extract the bass and synth pads and how? Which DAW did you use?

4. track 2 is GM Pure Sythn bass preset with the original transposed down 2 octaves
    5. track 3 is an AudioLayer orchestral strings sample with ToneBoosters Reverb on a Shimmer setting
    6. using Shimmer makes notes show up much later obscurely the MIDI notes starts and create extra complexity
    7. track 4 is the AXON 2 drum machine processed with FAC Transient and UltraTap for some extra delays
    9. exported the Wave to Audioshare and trimmed it down to a few minutes from the original 9-10 minutes

I don't really like the drums myself but none of the LUMbeats apps show up in Cubasis.
    I think I have to run LUMbeats in AudioBus and direct the audio out into Cubasis to use those apps
    with that DAW.

I'd also generally play some improvised instruments or drums over the top of a MIDI that's generated
    but I think that misses the point of just using MIDI as a starting point to build something up using Synths and FX units.

Thanks for the detailed unwrap. Maybe I should get back into Ipad editing though I have just upgraded Live 9 to 10. Cheers buddy

• @Metalman said:
    Thanks for the detailed unwrap. Maybe I should get back into Ipad editing though I have just upgraded Live 9 to 10. Cheers buddy

It took me a second to comprehend your comment... I try NOT to spent time around Mac OS users. It always costs me money when I read about to really good toys.

A touch screen interface is great for anyone with hand issues. Especially the wonder Apps like Gestrument Pro, TC-11 with great sounds and TC-Data which outputs MIDI streams. So much better than just generated looping sounds IMHO and easy to control like a complex instrument with simple touch gestures.

There are many great generating apps too. Stravinski is free and might suit your ear for subtle musical textures. It has a cheese sound engine but can output MIDI and drive a synth in AUM. Once the MIDI hits AUM you can use the new MIDI FX apps and transpose, echo, randomize, lobotomize, dissect and neuter it all inside AUM in realtime. it can be a performance surface with great touch interfaces.

Bottom line: save a lot of money on software and have a better GUI for your hands. It takes some time to master but we often have time to invest and less money than not. If you have too much money gift apps to the great supporting souls here.

• @McD said:

@Metalman said:

It took me a second to comprehend your comment... I try NOT to spent time around Mac OS users. It always costs me money when I read about to really good toys.

A touch screen interface is great for anyone with hand issues. Especially the wonder Apps like Gestrument Pro, TC-11 with great sounds and TC-Data which outputs MIDI streams. So much better than just generated looping sounds IMHO and easy to control like a complex instrument with simple touch gestures.

There are many great generating apps too. Stravinski is free and might suit your ear for subtle musical textures. It has a cheese sound engine but can output MIDI and drive a synth in AUM. Once the MIDI hits AUM you can use the new MIDI FX apps and transpose, echo, randomize, lobotomize, dissect and neuter it all inside AUM in realtime. it can be a performance surface with great touch interfaces.

Bottom line: save a lot of money on software and have a better GUI for your hands. It takes some time to master but we often have time to invest and less money than not. If you have too much money gift apps to the great supporting souls here.

I understand where you are coming from here. IOS apps and Mac apps the difference between the 2 is huge... especially in cost. Ye I love Gestrument and TC-11 though not tried Stravinski and I should.
    My daughter played me a game of table football on the Ipad, (in 1975 art college days memories) I still won but my hands afterwards oooooouch!
    Serriously though music in any form best painkiller there is.

• edited September 2019

Hi @Metalman, I took your challenge, the result is here:

My thing is Dark Ambient soundscaping, so I began with Hainbach’s advice: ‘the right speed is half speed’. In fact, I dropped the tempo to 20 bpm.

Opened the midi in Photon in AUM, used Atom to record the live midi (as Atom doesn’t currently import midi files), created three channels in AUM, opened three instances of the new Atom copies, dropped one two octaves and cut out the ‘upper half’ of the notes to leave a bass line in Audiokit’s Synth One, fed another via MIDifltr to drop the note stream to 20% on that channel for atmospherics, and the third left straight. Ran all three through Brambos’ Scaler to make sure everything stayed in D Minor harmonic, the key I always use (I know nothing about keys btw, - it’s just if I set everything to the same one, I can be reasonably sure my efforts will be mostly musical!) Used DRC run through RB1 Tape Delay and TB1 reverb for the main line, Recorded all three as audio into Cubasis, staggered the start times and set fade in and outs, added some In-app Steinberg ‘dark hall’ reverb on the final mix to pull it all together - job done.

• @McD said:

@Metalman said:

with that DAW.

To run Lumbeats in Cubasis, you need to load them onto an Audio track...then you can route MIDI from a MIDI track to the Lumbeat app via MIDI routing in Cubasis.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton said:
    To run Lumbeats in Cubasis, you need to load them onto an Audio track...then you can route MIDI from a MIDI track to the Lumbeat app via MIDI routing in Cubasis.

Thanks. Lumbeats would sound better here. Especially the Mid East drummer for ambient sounding audio use cases.

Can someone else take this mdid file from @Metalman and apply some IOS voodoo?

Ok see if this works.
    [https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h2xbn1bxoz7420/last man.mid?dl=0

@LinearLineman - this is your type of collaboration challenge.

• For anyone having problems with your hands but wanting to make music on IOS consider this possible approach on an iPhone no less:

This app was coded by the gifted AUM developer @j_liljedahl

• @McD said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks. Lumbeats would sound better here. Especially the Mid East drummer for ambient sounding audio use cases.

Can someone else take this mdid file from @Metalman and apply some IOS voodoo?

Ok see if this works.
    [https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h2xbn1bxoz7420/last man.mid?dl=0

@LinearLineman - this is your type of collaboration challenge.

Yes would be great if anyone else could run with the challenge

• It might be smart to start a new discussion announcing the MIDI rendering challenge using your MIDI file.
    Many don't listen to every creation track and the challenge is embedded in such a thread so a lot of competitive IOS folks haven't seen the creative challenge yet. You can link to this thread for reference
    purposes.

• @Metalman Very fun! I’m going to finally have a chance tonight to dig into the MIDIs you sent me.
    Also, I’m curious if you created the rendering of the clock?

• edited September 2019

@Metalman said:

“Yes would be great if anyone else could run with the challenge”

Er... see above? :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    My thing is Dark Ambient soundscaping

Nice. I like your process.

I took another approach and made this 2nd version using a completely different workflow based on the BoB-DAW (Bets of the Best) that combines the forces of Xequence (MIDI) + AudioBus 3 (Inter-App Sync and Preset saving) + AUM (Mixing and internal recorder)

1 loaded the original MIDI in Xequence 2 and pointed it towards AUM and dropped the BPM to 40.

I started AudioBus 3 and configure the Xeqence 2 to AUM MIDI linkage so I can start and start the project from the AB3 sidebar in any app.

In AUM I loaded Pure Synth for Strings, BeatHawk Female Choirs, AudioLayer Bass sample and then added a Thumbjam "English Horn" improvised solo using it's internal keyboard. I had a Mid East Drum track too but forgot to route it to the Mid Bus A that was doing the recording. Still, works.

• edited September 2019

@Svetlovska said:

My thing is Dark Ambient soundscaping, so I began with Hainbach’s advice: ‘the right speed is half speed’. In fact, I dropped the tempo to 20 bpm.

Opened the midi in Photon in AUM, used Atom to record the live midi (as Atom doesn’t currently import midi files), created three channels in AUM, opened three instances of the new Atom copies, dropped one two octaves and cut out the ‘upper half’ of the notes to leave a bass line in Audiokit’s Synth One, fed another via MIDifltr to drop the note stream to 20% on that channel for atmospherics, and the third left straight. Ran all three through Brambos’ Scaler to make sure everything stayed in D Minor harmonic, the key I always use (I know nothing about keys btw, - it’s just if I set everything to the same one, I can be reasonably sure my efforts will be mostly musical!) Used DRC run through RB1 Tape Delay and TB1 reverb for the main line, Recorded all three as audio into Cubasis, staggered the start times and set fade in and outs, added some In-app Steinberg ‘dark hall’ reverb on the final mix to pull it all together - job done.

Bravo! Thanks for the detailed rundown. I might be naughty and copy some of that 😉
    Liking your other tracks too, and good art, I’ll be following you on SoundCloud.

• Thanks both! :)

• @Svetlovska said:

Amazing its like give a musician a piano. The results are wild and incredible. Masterchef for musicians, I love it.

• Thank you for the fun exercise! :)