Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Imagine you can design a hypothetical iOS/iPadOs Music App, what would it do?

Imagine you can design a hypothetical Music App, and have it become a reality.
Describe what it would do.....

This is one of mine:

I'd really like to have a simple way to create and play custom sound samples, that I can make make by layering the sounds from multiple "programable" AU-v3 synths, and effects.

My ideal App will be able to host multiple AU-v3 programable Synths.

I would be able to load one or more synths, and be able to use AU-v3 effects with them.

Then after I program the synths, layer their sounds together, add effects, and have a new sound I want to keep.

The App has a very easy to use sampler section. All I have to do is press one button, and the App automatically builds a "full keyboard range" playable sample, from the layers of sounds that I just made.

After my new sound is sampled. I can save it to my own bank of custom sounds.

The App can then be switched to "play mode" and I can select my custom sound patches using a simple interface, and play them using either an on screen keyboard, or a Midi keyboard controller.

I need to be able to play and record my sounds in a DAW. So I need the app to somehow include an AU-v3 loadable "player module" that can be loaded into a DAW.

If it's not possible for the AU-v3 "player module" to be a part of the same App. Then the "player module" will have to be a separate AU-v3 app. And it has to have the ability to access the same folder of saved custom sound patches as the main App, so I can choose my patches from within the AU-v3 "player module" loaded in the DAW.

Comments

• That sounds sweet and possible!

• edited September 2019

@horsetrainer Sounds like you could accomplish this using AudioLayer and Synthjacker.

Use Synthjacker to multiple sample the patches from different synths you enjoy. Load those patch samples into AudioLayer.

Add multiple layers of samples/patched to the same AudioLayer instrument instance to create stacked presets.

Save those as AUM presets. Repeat above.

Set up AUM to have program change messages for your favorite AudioLayer patches.

Play. Switch patches as needed using program changes.

The beauty of AudioLayer is that most patches load immediately.

• edited September 2019

I just want Serato Sample (or maybe a app like Ableton’ Simpler) as an AU on iOS. I have pretty much everything else I want/need covered.

• @auxmux said:
    @horsetrainer Sounds like you could accomplish this using AudioLayer and Synthjacker.

Use Synthjacker to multiple sample the patches from different synths you enjoy. Load those patch samples into AudioLayer.

Add multiple layers of samples/patched to the same AudioLayer instrument instance to create stacked presets.

Save those as AUM presets. Repeat above.

Set up AUM to have program change messages for your favorite AudioLayer patches.

Play. Switch patches as needed using program changes.

The beauty of AudioLayer is that most patches load immediately.

Thank you for your helpful idea of how to accomplish that. :)

The reason I'd like my imagined App. Is because it's really simple. All I have to do is Just press one button and my sound is sampled.

No bouncing back and forth between different Apps. All my focus can be on making cool new sounds. With no interruption to conduct a distracting "process" to have to save a sound.

It would be like AUM combined with it's own integrated one-step auto-sampler, and a screen dedicated to playing the saved samples.

I've been trying to get the hang of using Chameleon to make patches in AUM, but It's not what I think of as a "simple" process (for me anyway).

I like simple and easy to understand. It makes more time for having fun and being creative :)

• edited September 2019

@AudioGus said:
    That sounds sweet and possible!

Yea.

I'd also like to have a drum machine/step sequencer App that lets you build, play and sequence your own "kits" by sampling the AU-v3 "layers of sounds" in the same way. It would also have an AU-v3 part to load into a DAW that lets you program the drum machine and step sequencer in a Daw.

Also have another version for building loops, arranging and playing loops. It would also have an AU-v3 programer/player component for use in a DAW too.

That would be my idea of the perfect Trio.

• A daw that can run auv3 audio and midi plugins, and have clips and arrangement.
    Midi, audio and ableton set export, cubasis like cpu optimized cpu usage, and updated constantly to be solid.
    Seems that this is a very hard thing to pull

• AU clip launcher

• • Auv3 midi microtuner ala TBX2 https://hpi.zentral.zone/tbx2
    I'm going to learn Mozaic solely in an attempt to create such a thing, even if it takes me years to complete. A dedicated app that implemented the brilliant TuneUp for Audiokit and could load various scale types would be ideal.

• Auv3 that runs Supercollider

• Auv3 realtime pitch to midi

• An au looper that always floats in front of all apps and lets me record and stop my jam with one press, then automatically start looping in a linear sequence so I can continue to add more layers..
    Trying to juggle to enso, loopy HD isn't always as freeing as something like this, with all the set up and app switching...
    Just a good ol floating loopy would be great..
    Sure you can resize enso, but it's too big...
    This would basically be a button, a small button that is somehow connected to a player app loaded in AUM.
    Impossible ya

• Looks like "one button" is the way forward :smiley:

• Cant really comment as havent used ios much and something similar might be achieveable but not neccessary. AUM updates the file player. If you have a decent midi/hardware/software setup in AUM. A file player allows you to live produce an album. The file player plays some music or interlude whilst at the same time loads all the next song channels but intelligently arranges so that they are no 100 percent spikes.

• If you think its good or if it isnt, then please do comment as AUM might move to the next level of performance and garuntee its future in IOS.

• The other idea was for Audiobus to allow Xequence 2 to have an indictater on the Audiobus sidebar. In Xequence 2 you could set lines on the line bar. When it gets near the line a countdown would appear in the sidebar. This might be good for breaks or when a beat kicks in. It would work well with non midi audio and apps like tc performer and external gear or if you need xequence in the background.

• For me, if you could smash Stagelight inside of AUM together as one app, I think I'd be set with everything else we have already.

It would be AUM, but the main mixer view is just one of three tabs. The other two being the Clips and Timeline capabilities of Stagelight. You add a track in mixer in AUM mixer view, it shows up as new track in other two tabs. Incorporate Stagelight's piano roll as well and we have a party.

• edited September 2019

Are you saying... make an App that reminds people to take a break from music and get something to Eat?
    Brilliant!

• @horsetrainer said:

Are you saying... make an App that reminds people to take a break from music and get something to Eat?
    Brilliant!

• Quit loafing around and make music.

• Ps. I still want a good multitrack audio editor. You know for editing, mixing and such. (Insert bludgeoned demised horse gif)

• Roland vsynth!

• I suck at playing keyboards and I don't play much else. So besides practicing I always wanted an app that separated the notes from the rhythm.

So an app where I could plunk down a chord progression or a melody line and apply a rhythm to it would be cool. There are several sortofs in the app store already but nothing great.

• I would love a really great percussion app. Not just the sounds but the different playing styles too.

• edited September 2019

Oh boy, hypothetical is like cheese to mice for me...

Full featured, I mean FULL, Maschine from NI. I want to plug my already paid for Maschine2 into my iPad and use it as intended.

Full featured, I mean FULL, Traktor from NI. I want to plug my already paid for S5 into my iPad and use it as intended.

Grid style looper as an AU, which you can sample incoming audio and loop immediately with quantization of loop in/out points. Multiple channels a plus, or just multiple instances.

This isn't an app, just a major iOS request... A cross app file management system that devs can drop into their apps and au's that has very detailed saving and sorting and folders and access of presets across all everything. I know you can do it iOS, but I also know you can't make everyone happy exactly when they want it...

I think I will stop asking and start using whats already here... Why bark at the food bowl, when the bag is right in front of me??