Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poll: Would you like an option to mute threads or categories on the forum?

edited September 2019 in Other

this forum has been kinda bumming me out lately...

Is there a way to silence threads (or better yet - entire categories)?

I'm already well aware that the world is polarized and full of self-righteous bigots and social justice warriors that have a hard time finding common ground. I don't come here to look for suggestions of shows to watch and whether the thing your watching is good. It's fine that people are bored and just wanna chat, but it makes this place feel more like facebook than a focused forum about iOS music.

Yeah, I know.. I could just not click the clickbait.. but c'mon. I'm human after all :s

If there isn't a way to silence threads... is there any way this feature could be added?

Edit: Anyone know who to address to make an official feature request of this type? Am I alone in wanting this?

To mute or not to mute
  1. Would you like an option to mute threads?42 votes
    1. YES
      61.90%
    2. NO
      38.10%

Comments

• @palm The forum as different categories for that exact purpose. Just don’t go in the “Off topic” categorie.

• Yah i started just going here most of the time during weekdays...

https://forum.audiob.us/categories/general

• Come on guys this comes up every time there’s a yucky thread. The only thing that’s going to save you is your own self restraint. :D

• @palm said:
    this forum has been kinda bumming me out lately...

Is there a way to silence threads (or better yet - entire categories)?

I'm already well aware that the world is polarized and full of self-righteous bigots and social justice warriors that have a hard time finding common ground. I don't come here to look for suggestions of shows to watch and whether the thing your watching is good. It's fine that people are bored and just wanna chat, but it makes this place feel more like facebook than a focused forum about iOS music.

Yeah, I know.. I could just not click the clickbait.. but c'mon. I'm human after all :s

If there isn't a way to silence threads... is there any way this feature could be added?

You can at least mute individual members.

• I agree that this forum has lost a bit of it’s music mojo lately. There’s still enough to keep me coming back though.

• @DCJ said:
    Come on guys this comes up every time there’s a yucky thread. The only thing that’s going to save you is your own self restraint.

It's not that I don't think these conversations need to happen. Discussions about difficult topics are an essential part of cutting through the problem of us/them thinking.

But from what I've witnessed, forums where we hide behind anonymous avatars, don't often lead to constructive discussions. Seems to me that it more often feeds polarizing viewpoints rather than leading to common ground or clarity. Not saying that good can't come of it, but imho, time could be better spent having these discussions with real people, face to face.

All I'm saying is that I would like to see the option to silence threads. Not to avoid difficult topics, but to avoid getting sucked into another clickbaity "Ableton on the iPad!" thread again when I see it now has 34 new replies. It's not because it's "icky" or because I'm pro censorship, but because in this era of sensory overload, I'd like to keep my distractions to a minimum. Until there's a mute button, I'll take the advice of @AudioGus. But my point is that there are threads on there that I'd love to mute as well.

It's the same reason I stopped using facebook. Not because the topics being discussed aren't interesting or prescient, but because I would sign in to simply check the time of an event... and two hours later find myself sucked into the black hole of some argument, ad hominems, insults and all that. And facebook isn't anonymous like most forums! It's even worse when there are zero consequences to saying awful things.

Might be time to confront the real problem - my addiction to checking the forum for the mythical Drambo drop :#

• edited September 2019

@gusgranite said:
    I agree that this forum has lost a bit of it’s music mojo lately. There’s still enough to keep me coming back though.

I think a lot of that music mojo bubble popped when Apple announced IAA depreciation, and it wasn't then so clear how existing Apps would fare in the transition to iOS13 and iPadOs.

But now that things are beginning to look better. Perhaps people can begin to relax and look forward to new and better Apps becoming possible due to a new range of iPadOs features.

• Thanks.
    Now I am distracted by this thread YOU started!
    ;)

• @CracklePot said:
    Thanks.
    Now I am distracted by this thread YOU started!
    ;)

exactly! wouldn't it be nice to be able to silence this obnoxious thread?

• @palm haha. Man I totally get it. What you’re asking isn’t too much. I wish it were an option for you. I just see the request every time these threads come up and just assume it would have been implemented by now. But who knows. Maybe it’s in the works.

• edited September 2019

@DCJ said:
    @palm haha. Man I totally get it.

How dare you assume my gender!!!

I kid, I kid...

• edited September 2019

@palm said:

My "conspiracies" off topic thread is more fractious, but at least it isn't as boring as this dull, whingy thread...LOL :)

• edited September 2019

@Simon said:

@palm said:

My "conspiracies" off topic thread is more fractious, but at least it isn't as boring as this dull, whingy thread...LOL :)

I can never tell your level of sarcasm. maybe it's time we implemented the reddit /s to indicate attempts at humor. is that what the smiley is supposed to mean? the line between joker and troll is often a fine one.

regardless.. feature requests are typically more boring than racially charged, antique conspiracy theories. This is simply a feature request.

• just added a poll for for the hell of it.

• edited September 2019

Now look what ya did... y'all started a trainwreck thread, and by noon tomorrow it will have over a thousand views and be five pages long...

\ :o /
    ..||

• @horsetrainer said:
    Now look what ya did... y'all started a trainwreak thread, and by noon tomorrow it will have over a thousand views and be five pages long...

..||

you could just not click on it?

/s

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Who wouldn’t want that as an option? But personally I’d rather learn to exercise my own self control than to have Michael waste his valuable time compensating for my weakness. Just sayin’.

• @horsetrainer said:
    Now look what ya did... y'all started a trainwreak thread, and by noon tomorrow it will have over a thousand views and be five pages long...

..||

/s

Maybe so... but the title of the thread made me curious to see what was in the thread?

Kinda like starting a thread titled..... "Don't read this thread"... you know everyone is going to click on it. :)

• @horsetrainer said:

@horsetrainer said:

..||

/s

Maybe so... but the title of the thread made me curious to see what was in the thread?

Kinda like starting a thread titled..... "Don't read this thread"... you know everyone is going to click on it. :)

Yes. Exactly my point.

I too am weak when it comes to clickbait. It would be cool if there was a tool to weed some of it out. That is all.

• @wim said:
    Who wouldn’t want that as an option?

masochists?

click-bait fiends?

...dunno, that's why I asked.

• Well, you asked an open question to the forum at large...
    Would you like an option to mute threads or categories on the forum?

My answer is....

I might like that option for the sake of being able to more easily find the threads I want to follow.

But... I really don't think I'd ever use that feature, because sometimes I discover interesting ideas mixed in with the non-interesting stuff.

My opinion about this forum, is that I feel the members here are genuinely interested in trying to be helpful to others.

So I think I might feel kinda bad if I blocked specific threads.

I like the idea of communities, and I think in healthy communities, people learn to tolerate those who they may sometimes view offensive..... But I'm not saying tolerate those who do nothing but make offensive remarks.

Just think everyone deserves a chance. And if someone, at some point, is acting "out of character". I'm more likely to think they might have some kinds of problems that are bothering them, they are really just reacting to that, and it just comes out here cause perhaps they feel this is their "safe place".

Those are my thoughts about this.

• I said yes just for you <3

• @palm said:
    I can never tell your level of sarcasm

Tell me about it - I can't tell my level of sarcasm either. But, yes, I was joking. The smiley and LOL were there to indicate I was kidding. :) :) :) <3 o:) ;) B) etc...

• I feel your pain... and probably cause some of it :^)

This Forum runs the "Vanilla Community Forum" Open Source or Business Version software. If Vanilla has that feature @michael could consider enabling it otherwise it's probably not likely. He's adding the final touches to [some amazing application or app update] and needs to make that job #1.

I also would like to see the threads I'm currently tracking in some efficient way and then scan for new threads.

One useful workflow trick is to open pertinent threads in a browser tab and refresh each tab for new comments and then scan the front page for something new worth following.

It's also helpful to use the "Notifications" Bell widget to see a list of new comments that mention you specifically and jump to that new comment. That assumes you are a player and not a lurker seeking to take our jewels and dash.

I personally like to see a River of News stream up all the new comments in reverse chronological order as a way to see what conversation are going on. If Vanilla had RSS output we could do that in any News Reader app.

• @Simon said:

@palm said:
    I can never tell your level of sarcasm

Tell me about it - I can't tell my level of sarcasm either. But, yes, I was joking. The smiley and LOL were there to indicate I was kidding. :) :) :) <3 o:) ;) B) etc...

As a sarcastic asshat who has a hard time taking anything very seriously.. I've learned that Poe's Law proves itself to be true about 100% of the time. Humor rarely translates well to text, and emoji's help clarify intent by about 2% :p <3

• @McD said:
    I feel your pain... and probably cause some of it :^)

This Forum runs the "Vanilla Community Forum" Open Source or Business Version software. If Vanilla has that feature @michael could consider enabling it otherwise it's probably not likely. He's adding the final touches to [some amazing application or app update] and needs to make that job #1.

I also would like to see the threads I'm currently tracking in some efficient way and then scan for new threads.

One useful workflow trick is to open pertinent threads in a browser tab and refresh each tab for new comments and then scan the front page for something new worth following.

It's also helpful to use the "Notifications" Bell widget to see a list of new comments that mention you specifically and jump to that new comment. That assumes you are a player and not a lurker seeking to take our jewels and dash.

I personally like to see a River of News stream up all the new comments in reverse chronological order as a way to see what conversation are going on. If Vanilla had RSS output we could do that in any News Reader app.

ah cool, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that this was all the work of @Michael . I foolishly assumed there were other folks involved with upkeep and the like. Apologies for my naivete, and for coming off as demanding. I have close to zero knowledge about what goes into creating and maintaining such a forum, so if this is a big ask, then no worries.. carry on.

• edited September 2019

Yes folks, we need more regulations, rules and boundaries on the forum so adults can soften this hardened place.lol

FYI I voted yes in the spirit of being progressive.

However, the current simple Bookmarking/Fav Star button and just sticking to your own interests is pretty easy for discerning minds.

Even a cave man can do it.

*i do wish I could mute all of the gluten and dairy products in the grocery store so I can just see the stuff I want.

• edited September 2019

For me it is basically like the semi-olde days of tv cable where you could remove channels so when you click through it just skips over the ones you aren’t interested in (the french channel, food network etc).

Impulse control and the fascist nanny state, oh my, so dramatic!

• edited September 2019

I don't know what is possible technically but moderators are able to ‘sink’ threads so that they do not propagate to the top when new posts are added.

Maybe the gear icon could appear on all threads (not just announcements) and have a local ‘sink’ option?

• @WillieNegus said:
    Yes folks, we need more regulations, rules and boundaries on the forum so adults can soften this hardened place.lol

FYI I voted yes in the spirit of being progressive.

However, the current simple Bookmarking/Fav Star button and just sticking to your own interests is pretty easy for discerning minds.

Even a cave man can do it.

*i do wish I could mute all of the gluten and dairy products in the grocery store so I can just see the stuff I want.

I agree that selecting the star for any topics you want to follow is a straight forward way to generate a list of threads you want to follow. If you should want to stop following or add a thread, toggle the star as needed. Simply don’t read threads that are posted to a topic you’re not interested in.

I would prefer to have Michael spend his time on more productive activities than spending his precious time replicating this thread selection/ mute functionality in a slightly different way.