Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shredding Frankenstein

I'm a guitar player who has dabbled in iOS music production in the past, so I knew where to go for suggestions! I'm starting to learn Edgar Winter's Frankenstein on guitar (just as a backup to anything our keyboard player doesn't learn) and wonder if anyone can tell me how Edgar accomplished one of the solos.

After the mid-song drum solo, there is what sounds like a very fast solo. Only this solo sounds like Edgar is riding an arpeggiator or echo or something. My plan is to simply insert some guitar shredding (at which I suck!), but I would like to get it to sound "correct".

Anyone know how that solo was performed on Edgar's Arp 2600?

Comments

• Watch him do it at about the 5:07 mark:

• Found this interesting info about the recording session.

Winter played his ARP in the studio as he had onstage, moving around with his keyboard attached. He also switched between the ARP’s various patches. The main patch—which Winter used for the song’s signature riff, as well as its bass line and solo—became known as “Frank Solo.” The sound was played straight for most of the song, although Winter used a wah-wah pedal through the solo. For the song’s 6/8 section, Winter used another patch he donned “Acid Bath,” which was just a square wave modulating. Another signature patch, heard about three-quarters of the way through the song, “was done by changing the filter resonance while turning the ARP’s internal clock to give it that pulse,” Winter says. To give the ARP an added stereo effect on the recording, Szymczyk used a device called The Cube. “Bill had this little thing you would plug into that created this little boxy, small-room sound,” Derringer says. “We put Edgar’s main sound on one channel, and then also put it through the Cube and [brought] the processed sound up on the other channel. Coincidentally, the two [sounds] fit together like cogs in a wheel, creating this amazing stereo effect.”

Here is the link to the whole article.
    https://www.mixonline.com/recording/classic-tracks-edgar-winter-groups-frankenstein-366279

• edited September 2019

Two hands and mono/legato mode + some delay.

On guitar you could probably approximate it with tapping.

• Damn, that is some really fast playing on that particular section!

• Thanks for the replies! Very interesting info about the recording.

This is one of those songs that just sticks with me, and I “need” to learn every last note! Probably something to discuss with my shrink :)

• edited September 2019

I love that for the entire performance, he wears the keyboard controller AROUND HIS NECK!!! That thing must weigh about 100 lbs. Plays the sax and timbales with it on (and is incredible) - what a rock star!

Check out Rick Derringer on guitar. And that ascot the bassist is rockin' - I love this video so much. And it would be even sillier if they weren't absolutely MURDERING this tune.

There is not nearly enough of this level of unabashed rocktitude in the world. No one has ever made sliding a tiny fader on a 2600 look so cool.

• edited September 2019

@Markomatic said:
    I'm a guitar player who has dabbled in iOS music production in the past, so I knew where to go for suggestions! I'm starting to learn Edgar Winter's Frankenstein on guitar (just as a backup to anything our keyboard player doesn't learn) and wonder if anyone can tell me how Edgar accomplished one of the solos.

After the mid-song drum solo, there is what sounds like a very fast solo. Only this solo sounds like Edgar is riding an arpeggiator or echo or something. My plan is to simply insert some guitar shredding (at which I suck!), but I would like to get it to sound "correct".

Anyone know how that solo was performed on Edgar's Arp 2600?

The band Overkill makes a cover of Frankenstein and all the solos are played on guitar. This may give you ideas.

The part you are referring to are arpeggios and are played using tapping on the Overkill version. If you have never done tapping don’t worry it’s not that difficult and it can be learned in hardly no time.

• I forgot to say you will need your wah pedal for that part.

• I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos in the last day or 2, and this Overkill version of the solo in question sounds pretty close to the original recording to me. I find it interesting that in all these versions, the song itself is so strong that it can take almost anything as an arrangement and it still shines through as very musical.

While I’m always looking for reasons to step on my wah wah, this whole tapping thing is something I’ve not really been able to pull off before. My hapless tapping might just Scare real shredders this Halloween!

• edited September 2019

@Markomatic Find a good video on YouTube teaching you how. Then practice 15 minutes a day for a couple days and you should get it. Tapping is one of the first techniques I learned on guitar. I could tap before I could play chords.

Yeah not the best orders to learn.