Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Orchestra Building / current state of bismark bs-16i ?

I am looking for a full set of symphonic instruments and choir sounds, and I think (but would love your advice) that soundfonts would be a good place to start. Bs-16i seems the obvious choice for playing soundfonts. But I noticed some people have had issues with bs-16i in the past. Is it working well for you now? I will be loading it as an AU into AUM.

Another question is: I was about to tap the $7.99 buy button when I noticed it has IAPs. There is $4.99 “High-Res Synthesizer Engine”, and also $2.99 “128 Polyphony”. So I’m wondering what I get for the base $7.99? Does it sound okay and have reasonable polyphony as is, or are the IAPs pretty much mandatory? If so, $16 starts to be real money for me, and I definitely want to make sure it’s fully functional these days. And also be wondering if there are optional soundfont players to consider?

Bonus question: Is there one silver bullet app you could recommend that offers a full range of orchestra/choir sounds? Hopefully without paying $100 in IAPs.

Thanks for your advice friends! 🧐

Comments

• edited September 2019

@audiorangutan said:
    I am looking for a full set of symphonic instruments and choir sounds

iSymphonic

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isymphonic-orchestra/id892220800

• Errr if £16 for Bismarck is expensive, don’t even think about isymphonic

• Hi there the high res iap is for 96khz sample rate.

• @audiorangutan said:
    I am looking for a full set of symphonic instruments and choir sounds, and I think (but would love your advice) that soundfonts would be a good place to start. Bs-16i seems the obvious choice for playing soundfonts. But I noticed some people have had issues with bs-16i in the past. Is it working well for you now? I will be loading it as an AU into AUM.

Another question is: I was about to tap the $7.99 buy button when I noticed it has IAPs. There is $4.99 “High-Res Synthesizer Engine”, and also $2.99 “128 Polyphony”. So I’m wondering what I get for the base $7.99? Does it sound okay and have reasonable polyphony as is, or are the IAPs pretty much mandatory? If so, $16 starts to be real money for me, and I definitely want to make sure it’s fully functional these days. And also be wondering if there are optional soundfont players to consider?

Bonus question: Is there one silver bullet app you could recommend that offers a full range of orchestra/choir sounds? Hopefully without paying $100 in IAPs.

Thanks for your advice friends! 🧐

128 notes poly: You decide.
    High-res Synth engine: I have yet to find somebody who can clearly explain what effect it has on CPU usage and LPF/interpolation quality.
    Good anti-alias filters allow for more compact sampled instruments by downsampling every sample according to its high frequency content.
    Note that this would require to build your own sound fonts though.
    In the age of AKAI S-series samplers that was common practice in order to fit as many samples into 8MB RAM as possible.
    Going close to the theoretical limits requires very good aa filters and I can say that stock bs-16i does not have them.

• Check out Chameleon by 4pockets.

• @jolico said:
    Check out Chameleon by 4pockets.

Right you are friend! I have Chameleon and forgot it came with good presets. I just checked them and definitely is some good ones to get me started. Do you know how I can get more sounds into it? They don't seem to be selling any. But obviously it's a sampler so I can record and load anything into it I fancy. Is there a quick conversion method to get soundfonts into Chameleon perhaps?

• I have labored for hours to build a virtual orchestra and bought everything mentioned.

BS-16i provides a good SF2 engine (IAP's not needed initially)
    SF2's available tend to be collections of General MIDI sets with 128 instruments of fair quality
    You can make orchestral music this way.
    Freezing BS-16i tracks in Cubasis never worked well for me and too many instances also crashed a lot.

So, I started buying great sounding apps:
    iSymphonic with $100's in IAPs - they just don't allow you to scale up in a DAW and sometimes don't freeze well. But the recordings are great and sound wonderful.

Thumbjam - some great sounds in the built-in product. Not AUv3, seems to freeze better

BeatHawk - $100's in IAP's but excellent sounds and OK scaling with good freezing

AudioLayer to make clones of all the above apps in AUM. The results sound great but again 2-3 instances of the resulting sampled apps max. Seems to freeze with some stability issues. Too bad. A lot like iSymphonic... you just wish you could load more at once to cut out extra time rendering audio all day
    in 2-3 minutes batches of time.

Chameleon - waste of money for me as a sampler - 15 notes max as I recall.

My current favorite solution is documented here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33481/secrets-of-the-ios-masters-scottvanzandt-and-nanostudio2-no-auv3-instruments

I'm hoping @coniferprod updates SynthJacker to support 20 second samples to make building to sample sets less painful for import but if you do the work this is the best iPad orchestral workstation, in my experience based upon the results.

I have great sounds and paid for the benefits but running 10-30 instrument tracks requires a very well optimized and stable DAW. Nanostudio 2 is built with amazing optimizations for running many Obsidian instances and it can load 3 layer samples. 3 layers is likely enough to fool the audience that it was an orchestra being recorded for film score styles.

The alternative is to load an app in a DAW and freeze each in order until you get to 10-30 audio tracks.
    Cubasis and Auria Pro would be needed and they will hit scaling issues at some stage of your project.
    Certainly fewer tracks than NS2 can support.

NOTE: The Notion App offers a complete $45 IAP orchestral sound package if you would like to write your music out in score form and hear it. I think it's based on something like the SF2 orchestras out there. Fair sounding like MuseScore.sf2 loaded into BS-16i. They might have demo's to let you hear the results before buying the app and IAP for $55. I had issues with MIDI file importing and got a refund.

You can drop a MIDI file into Cubasis and start assigning and freezing tracks and make some great results if you don't hit the freezing bugs that too many apps exhibit.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio can load SF2 sound sets. I had some issues with stability and audio freezing so I stopped using it. It might be better since it's been a while. The developer fixes issues FAST. SF2's just don't have the level of realism I crave... the samples are too small and many just sound flawed because they need to package 128 instruments in one loadable file.

Anyway you go you'll find limitations and see workarounds but great results can be achieved with perseverance.

I hope you document your journey and share your results.

• @McD
    Wow, this seems to be the most elaborate real-world sampler shootout so far.
    Thank you!
    Theoretically, nothing stops us from building our own top-notch SF2 sample collection (except lack of time!!) but BM3 and NS2 look like the best options for 3 (NS2) or more (BM3) velocity layers in sampled instruments.
    When creating sample sets, I've come to limit sample lengths to about 7 seconds length or less. I found that I almost never need longer samples and that helps keeping the memory footprint on a reasonable level, as most samplers/romplers won't stream from disk but rather load the whole instrument into RAM.
    Such reduced sets are a sufficiently good compromise for me and when I need a "proper" orchestra, I'll switch to Logic/Live/Kontakt anyway.

By the way, an SF2 file can contain any number of instruments, not necessarily 128, and at least from AEM I know that only the selected instrument in an SF2 will be loaded into RAM.
    Also, using e.g. Awave Studio, an existing SF2 can be hacked quite easily (e.g. delete instruments from it or reassemble new collections).

• For orchestral, in my opinion, nothing beats “Edirol Orchestral”, but it’s only on PC :(

• @rs2000 said:

Thanks. A couple comments on your additional details.

Theoretically, nothing stops us from building our own top-notch SF2 sample collection

Is there an IOS App to help? SynthJacker makes bare bones SFZ's with very little metadata.

BM3 and NS2 look like the best options for 3 (NS2) or more (BM3) velocity layers in sampled instruments

How many tracks do you suspect BM3 can support in the quest for an orchestra? Is there an optimized way to get samples into BM3 like the SynthJacker to NS2 option?

When creating sample sets, I've come to limit sample lengths to about 7 seconds length or less.

Me too. SynthJacker ends up providing samples that seem to need hand editing with loop points to be useful. (Basically I gave up on this quest).

I found that I almost never need longer samples and that helps keeping the memory footprint on a reasonable level, as most samplers/romplers won't stream from disk but rather load the whole instrument into RAM.

I'm following the advice of @ScottVanZandt and his approach so I want longer samples. I could re-consider IF I get the drive to resume this quest. I have changed my short term goals but the OP seems to be starting down the same road.

Such reduced sets are a sufficiently good compromise for me and when I need a "proper" orchestra, I'll switch to Logic/Live/Kontakt anyway.

Me too. No one is eager;y awaiting my orchestral efforts. So, I'm trying to please myself.

By the way, an SF2 file can contain any number of instruments, not necessarily 128, and at least from AEM I know that only the selected instrument in an SF2 will be loaded into RAM.

I didn't know that about RAM use. Most current orchestral SF2's like the MuseScore package is around 1GB so the individual samples are somewhat thin. The AudioLayer 5 layer/10 second instruments sampled every 3 or 4 half-steps get pretty damn big. An SF2 make from them would be multi-GB's. I wish someone would make one for us.

Also, using e.g. Awave Studio, an existing SF2 can be hacked quite easily (e.g. delete instruments from it or reassemble new collections).

Isn't Awave a Windows Application? Mac's use polyphone, I recall.

Maybe someone will pick up the quest in a way that we can all leverage without doing the hand work @ScottVanZandt did to make a personal orchestral sample collection for NS2.

• @McD said:
    I have labored for hours to build a virtual orchestra and bought everything mentioned.

BS-16i provides a good SF2 engine (IAP's not needed initially)
    SF2's available tend to be collections of General MIDI sets with 128 instruments of fair quality
    You can make orchestral music this way.
    Freezing BS-16i tracks in Cubasis never worked well for me and too many instances also crashed a lot.

So, I started buying great sounding apps:
    iSymphonic with $100's in IAPs - they just don't allow you to scale up in a DAW and sometimes don't freeze well. But the recordings are great and sound wonderful.

Thumbjam - some great sounds in the built-in product. Not AUv3, seems to freeze better

BeatHawk - $100's in IAP's but excellent sounds and OK scaling with good freezing

AudioLayer to make clones of all the above apps in AUM. The results sound great but again 2-3 instances of the resulting sampled apps max. Seems to freeze with some stability issues. Too bad. A lot like iSymphonic... you just wish you could load more at once to cut out extra time rendering audio all day
    in 2-3 minutes batches of time.

Chameleon - waste of money for me as a sampler - 15 notes max as I recall.

My current favorite solution is documented here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33481/secrets-of-the-ios-masters-scottvanzandt-and-nanostudio2-no-auv3-instruments

I'm hoping @coniferprod updates SynthJacker to support 20 second samples to make building to sample sets less painful for import but if you do the work this is the best iPad orchestral workstation, in my experience based upon the results.

I have great sounds and paid for the benefits but running 10-30 instrument tracks requires a very well optimized and stable DAW. Nanostudio 2 is built with amazing optimizations for running many Obsidian instances and it can load 3 layer samples. 3 layers is likely enough to fool the audience that it was an orchestra being recorded for film score styles.

The alternative is to load an app in a DAW and freeze each in order until you get to 10-30 audio tracks.
    Cubasis and Auria Pro would be needed and they will hit scaling issues at some stage of your project.
    Certainly fewer tracks than NS2 can support.

NOTE: The Notion App offers a complete $45 IAP orchestral sound package if you would like to write your music out in score form and hear it. I think it's based on something like the SF2 orchestras out there. Fair sounding like MuseScore.sf2 loaded into BS-16i. They might have demo's to let you hear the results before buying the app and IAP for $55. I had issues with MIDI file importing and got a refund.

You can drop a MIDI file into Cubasis and start assigning and freezing tracks and make some great results if you don't hit the freezing bugs that too many apps exhibit.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio can load SF2 sound sets. I had some issues with stability and audio freezing so I stopped using it. It might be better since it's been a while. The developer fixes issues FAST. SF2's just don't have the level of realism I crave... the samples are too small and many just sound flawed because they need to package 128 instruments in one loadable file.

Anyway you go you'll find limitations and see workarounds but great results can be achieved with perseverance.

I hope you document your journey and share your results.

Thanks for this. Is it in the Wiki?

• @McD said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks. A couple comments on your additional details.

Theoretically, nothing stops us from building our own top-notch SF2 sample collection

Is there an IOS App to help? SynthJacker makes bare bones SFZ's with very little metadata.

No, not at all. It would have to be able to read, dissect, rearrange and reassemble an SF2 file.
    Unlikely to happen soon on iOS although technically perfectly possible.

BM3 and NS2 look like the best options for 3 (NS2) or more (BM3) velocity layers in sampled instruments

How many tracks do you suspect BM3 can support in the quest for an orchestra? Is there an optimized way to get samples into BM3 like the SynthJacker to NS2 option?

Have not tried to push it to its limits.
    Yes, you can use the free BM2 bank creator utility (will require wav files AFAIR) and import the BM2 bank into BM3.

When creating sample sets, I've come to limit sample lengths to about 7 seconds length or less.

Me too. SynthJacker ends up providing samples that seem to need hand editing with loop points to be useful. (Basically I gave up on this quest).

The problem with loops is that a simple crossfade sometimes isn't sufficient.
    Again, more sophisticated tools only available on Win/Mac.
    I've used the old Redmatica AutoSampler extensively when building the Digital D1 PCM expansion sets.
    People say that Mainstage could do the same but I haven't found the same depth of control as in Redmatica's wonderful software.

Me too. No one is eager;y awaiting my orchestral efforts. So, I'm trying to please myself.

😅
    I only do it "by demand". Creating sample sets properly is such a boring and time-consuming task.

I didn't know that about RAM use. Most current orchestral SF2's like the MuseScore package is around 1GB so the individual samples are somewhat thin. The AudioLayer 5 layer/10 second instruments sampled every 3 or 4 half-steps get pretty damn big. An SF2 make from them would be multi-GB's. I wish someone would make one for us.

Actually what I meant to say is that some apps will load the whole SF2 into RAM while others only load what's required. AudioLayer has the huge advantage of being able to stream directly from disk so whenever you build a monster patch with large samples or many velocity layers, you better do it in AL.

Isn't Awave a Windows Application? Mac's use polyphone, I recall.

Exactly.

Maybe someone will pick up the quest in a way that we can all leverage without doing the hand work @ScottVanZandt did to make a personal orchestral sample collection for NS2.

If I remember correctly then NS2 programs are XML files, no?
    Converting SFZ to NS2 should be within reach then, at least for guys who know a bit about coding.

• edited September 2019

@audiorangutan, not sure what DAW you are using, but Cubasis2 is now on sale $23.99. Incredible bargain. Get Waves inapp on sale as well.

+1 for @McD’s analysis. If I could only have one and only one app for what you are looking for I would recommend PureSynth Platinum. It covers all the bases adequately... and better than any other single synth.

However, no substitute for a combo of BeatHawk, iSymph and ThumbJam for acoustic, IMO. iSymphonic basic app for strings, Cupra inapp for horns, Aulos inapp for woodwinds and Tosca inapp for humdinger Choirs and a wonderful soprano singer.

BeatHawk Mallets, Choirs, Brass Ensemble, Baroque (harpsichord and Classical Guitar), Acoustic Piano
    (Tho I prefer RC275, this one polled number 2 on the forum), Woodwinds.

Good luck!

• edited September 2019

It looks like the landscape will be changing somewhat in regards to AU samplers if the ipados beta has anything to go by. Currently the ram restrictions seem to have changed, to what extent i do not know but when the ipados goes live on the 30th sept some of these AUv3 might run 🏃‍♀️ a little better in term of sample size and amount of instances. Hopefully the devs can chime in once the ipados goes live.

• The app just crashes on me when loading into Cubasis as a auv3 for awhile now.

• @McD Thanks, that is a lot of great information! I admire your dedication.

• @gregsmith said:

Editing the wiki doesn't have the immediacy of the forum for generating conversations and feedback.
    Is it thriving? It doesn't get much mention as a resource here and that's sad.

• @McD said:

@gregsmith said:

Editing the wiki doesn't have the immediacy of the forum for generating conversations and feedback.
    Is it thriving? It doesn't get much mention as a resource here and that's sad.

Dunno to be honest. I’ve used a couple of bits of advice on there.

I guess this is an ongoing conversation. Your findings so far could save people a lot of time and money chasing the best orchestral setup 😉

• @gregsmith said:
    I guess this is an ongoing conversation. Your findings so far could save people a lot of time and money chasing the best orchestral setup 😉

It's like the quest for the holy grail. Great symphonic music on IOS requires a lot of laborious process steps
    but it's possible with effort and patience. I think I erred on the side of wanting every sample to be the best possible sounding option and Crudebytes (iSymphonic) and UVI (BeatHawk) won't allow scaling for a complete orchestral mix. That's why the import into NS2 seems so attractive to benefit for the optimizations that NanoStudio 2's developer offers. By sidestepping audio tracks he drilled into making the best multi-track synth workflow and added 3 layer samples as a feature of his synth engine. This seems to be the best compromise between sample realism and IOS resource use. I just hesitate to do the weeks of sample import.

We just need a really ROCK SOLID auto-sampler. SynthJacker is very close but still a few details short for me. Setting 10 seconds for a sample run will often produce many sample that are significantly shorter than 10 seconds. @coniferprod - is there one more update coming? I know it's always about ROI for any developer and maybe this app category is played out for new users.

• edited September 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    @audiorangutan, not sure what DAW you are using, but Cubasis2 is now on sale $23.99. Incredible bargain. Get Waves inapp on sale as well.

+1 for @McD’s analysis. If I could only have one and only one app for what you are looking for I would recommend PureSynth Platinum. It covers all the bases adequately... and better than any other single synth.

However, no substitute for a combo of BeatHawk, iSymph and ThumbJam for acoustic, IMO. iSymphonic basic app for strings, Cupra inapp for horns, Aulos inapp for woodwinds and Tosca inapp for humdinger Choirs and a wonderful soprano singer.

BeatHawk Mallets, Choirs, Brass Ensemble, Baroque (harpsichord and Classical Guitar), Acoustic Piano
    (Tho I prefer RC275, this one polled number 2 on the forum), Woodwinds.

Good luck!

This is a great curated list of buys! These would get me to a full enough collection. I think I’m leaning this direction over the bs-16i soundfont route. And, really I don’t need a full orchestra of instruments right off. I just need the key instruments, played and nuanced well.
    @McD I really learned a lot from you sharing your experiences! And the synthjacker/NS2 workflow looks promising.
    Big thanks @rs2000 and everyone else for your input!

• @[Deleted User] said:
    It looks like the landscape will be changing somewhat in regards to AU samplers if the ipados beta has anything to go by. Currently the ram restrictions seem to have changed, to what extent i do not know but when the ipados goes live on the 30th sept some of these AUv3 might run 🏃‍♀️ a little better in term of sample size and amount of instances. Hopefully the devs can chime in once the ipados goes live.

I’ve sworn off any further updates to my current music iPads, but this is what would tempt me! I hope it’s true.

• @audiorangutan said:
    This is a great curated list of buys! These would get me to a full enough collection. I think I’m leaning this direction over the bs-16i soundfont route. And, really I don’t need a full orchestra of instruments right off. I just need the key instruments, played and nuanced well.
    @McD I really learned a lot from you sharing your experiences! And the synthjacker/NS2 workflow looks promising.
    Big thanks @rs2000 and everyone else for your input!

I left out something worth considering:

BS-16i with the standard and many other SF2's can play "general midi" files across 16 tracks.
    Roland sells an IOS version of it's "Sound Canvas" hardware module.

They are "good enough" but you'll get the urge for the best sounds and that's what makes you chase perfection. the NS2 sampling requires you to buy the good sample-based apps and spend the big bucks.

We would all do well to make more music and spend less just trying to get ready to make more music.

Most just move to desktops and start buying Orchestras costing $100's and a $400-500 DAW to driven them.

Please document your journey and show us how it can be done.

• edited September 2019

Garageband has you covered.

For a more expensive option you can get Gadget and Module with the various expansions. M1 and Wavestation, but M1 in particular, have orchestral sounds and Gadget's Marseille PCM synth also has some useable orchestral sounds.

• The Roli Noise app needs to open up the Swarm packs properly as there is lots of orchestral ones to be had in there.

• edited September 2019

Before my 1st iPad got stolen I had managed to
    load the Versilian Studios free Orchestral Library
    into Auria Pro as sfz with quite good results.
    Bear in mind that they do not have the articulation
    functions that Kontakt have with their sample library.
    I also have iSymphonic and whilst iSymphonic
    as iAA runs okay the Auv3 is problematic.
    Still saying that combining both would produce
    at the very least good enough sketches to write from
    and with care could be quite presentable.

https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The Roli Noise app needs to open up the Swarm packs properly as there is lots of orchestral ones to be had in there.

It's sad, but that will not happen. The developer of the Swarm packs(Audio Modeling) has the exclusive rights, they do not want that it will be used in the AUv3 environments like AUM. It's mostly requested on the Roli forum but without any result.

• @Pierre118 said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The Roli Noise app needs to open up the Swarm packs properly as there is lots of orchestral ones to be had in there.

It's sad, but that will not happen. The developer of the Swarm packs(Audio Modeling) has the exclusive rights, they do not want that it will be used in the AUv3 environments like AUM. It's mostly requested on the Roli forum but without any result.

However I thought I read somewhere that they are developing their own Auv3?

• @McD said:
    We just need a really ROCK SOLID auto-sampler. SynthJacker is very close but still a few details short for me. Setting 10 seconds for a sample run will often produce many sample that are significantly shorter than 10 seconds. @coniferprod - is there one more update coming? I know it's always about ROI for any developer and maybe this app category is played out for new users.

Just sent a new SynthJacker beta build to Apple for TestFlight, hopefully it will be available in a few days after they review it. It’s mainly about the new BYOAF (Being Your Own Audio File) feature, so that you can bring in an externally recorded audio file for slicing.

To be honest, I was going to up the sample time, but forgot... I wanted to get one update in before I dive into properly supporting iOS 13 (as many iOS musicians will probably be a little conservative in updating iOS).

I noticed the discussion about SF2 and SFZ above. Just a reminder, SoundFont 2.0 (SF2) and SFZ are completely different. SynthJacker outputs an SFZ file with just the samples and regions. There are no loop points yet, but those should be easy to add after the fact if you have a the tools (audio editor to show you the loop points, and text editor to enter them in the SFZ file).

• @coniferprod said:
    To be honest, I was going to up the sample time, but forgot...

Thanks for the update. Good to know you're still pushing this app forward.
    Chopping audio is a great enhancement and probably more helpful for many than my
    request for samples in excess of 10 seconds.

Still, I'll continue to pester you since you have the only auto-sampler functionality on IOS
    for those of us using ROM-pler style Sampled Synths vs the Akai Sampler folks that want
    a whole different set of features.

AudioLayer has gone quiet after months of anticipated updates. It appears he's busy making his apps stable for IOS 13.

• @McD said:
    Thanks for the update. Good to know you're still pushing this app forward.
    Chopping audio is a great enhancement and probably more helpful for many than my
    request for samples in excess of 10 seconds.

But you can have both! Because I just finished upping the sample time to 30 seconds max. Actually I timed the very lowest note on my Kawai digital piano, and it rang out for about 20 seconds. So I hope you can manage with this...

There is now also an informative calculation about the disk space required, but since I had 3 GB free, and I couldn't push the number past 500 MB (if my calculation was correct), even with including all MIDI notes and many, many velocity layers, I decided to not warn or prohibit anything. Although probably your iPad will halt and catch fire if you do manage to fill it up. (Nah, just kidding. Most likely SynthJacker will crash in that situation.)

Still, I'll continue to pester you since you have the only auto-sampler functionality on IOS
    for those of us using ROM-pler style Sampled Synths vs the Akai Sampler folks that want
    a whole different set of features.

Can you elaborate on these differences? I've explored this space recently, so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

AudioLayer has gone quiet after months of anticipated updates. It appears he's busy making his apps stable for IOS 13.

And iPadOS! :smile: