Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipados13 beta - many more AUv3 instances can be run, has the RAM limit per AU instance been amended?

I just noticed I can run many more au instances in ipados 13 beta. Can others confirm please?

Usually some apps will crash due to the RAM constrictions if i load two or three. Now I can load as many as I like until the ipad pro reaches CPU limit.

Ipad pro 2018 9’7 model.

Comments

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

My iPad Pro 2018 on iOS doesn’t crash per se, but reaches the said limit quite quickly and starts to make noise when it reaches CPU limit. So I don’t see any difference from your iPadOS experience.

• edited September 2019

@vov said:
    My iPad Pro 2018 on iOS doesn’t crash per se, but reaches the said limit quite quickly and starts to make noise. So I don’t see any difference from your iPadOS experience.

I not talking about the the ipad crashing, I'm talking about the amount of AU instances running in an host on ios 12 compared to ipados 13 beta. There is a RAM restriction which can crash AU apps if you run too many of them.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I just noticed I can run many more au instances in iospad beta. Can others confirm please?

Usually some apps will crash due to the RAM constrictions if i load two or three. Now I can load as many as I like until the ipad pro reaches CPU limit.

Ipad pro 2018 9’7 model.

Yes the AU subsystem does seem more stable in iPadOS. In my experience.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:
    My iPad Pro 2018 on iOS doesn’t crash per se, but reaches the said limit quite quickly and starts to make noise. So I don’t see any difference from your iPadOS experience.

I not talking about the the ipad crashing, I'm talking about the amount of AU instances running in an host on ios 12 compared to ios13 beta. There is a RAM restriction which can crash AU apps if you run too many of them.

What do you mean by an app crashing? Does it go off completely? I almost never experienced this. Or do you mean corrupt sound? I constantly get into it on my iPad. So I presume it rans out of processor juice, and RAM limit isn’t an issue for me.
    Also, could you list how many instances of what Aus you can run after update?

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

I not talking about the the ipad crashing, I'm talking about the amount of AU instances running in an host on ios 12 compared to ios13 beta. There is a RAM restriction which can crash AU apps if you run too many of them.

What do you mean by an app crashing? Does it go off completely? I almost never experienced this. Or do you mean corrupt sound? I constantly get into it on my iPad.

Dude, stop trolling me!

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

What do you mean by an app crashing? Does it go off completely? I almost never experienced this. Or do you mean corrupt sound? I constantly get into it on my iPad.

Dude, stop trolling me!

Why do you call simple technical questions trolling? :o

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Dude, stop trolling me!

Im not answering any of your questions, i tried before and you just keep trolling.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Dude, stop trolling me!

Im not answering any of your questions, i tried before and you just keep trolling.

Ok, as you wish, but I don’t.

• edited September 2019

@[Deleted User] What do you want us to test?

You say : .......I can run many more au instances in iospad beta. Which AU instances? And how many more?
    And : .......Usually some apps will crash due to the RAM constrictions. Which apps do you mean?

btw.....it's iPadOS not ipados/iospad.

• edited September 2019

@Pierre118 said:

You say : .......I can run many more au instances in iospad beta. Which AU instances? And how many more?
    And : .......Usually some apps will crash due to the RAM constrictions. Which apps do you mean?

btw.....it's iPadOS not iospad.

For instance if you try apps which use samples like tardigrain, spacecraft granular or reslice. I could run three SC instruments before an instance would crash on ios 12. Now on ipados13 i can run 9 and then its the cpu which is the blocker.

• @vov There have been many reports that the 2018 iPads have CPU load problems, probably down to the fact that they use the low-power cores even when running the audio thread, resulting in crackles even on what should be an easy load.

I don't own a 2018 iPad, but I do own an iPhone XR which uses the same CPU (A12), and it can't run audio apps as well as my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. For example the Ravenscroft piano crackles immediately on my phone, even at high buffer settings, but it runs without crackles on my iPad.

So it's possible that your issue relates to this, in my opinion the A12 CU isn't well-designed for running audio apps.

• @richardyot said:
    @vov There have been many reports that the 2018 iPads have CPU load problems, probably down to the fact that they use the low-power cores even when running the audio thread, resulting in crackles even on what should be an easy load.

I don't own a 2018 iPad, but I do own an iPhone XR which uses the same CPU (A12), and it can't run audio apps as well as my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. For example the Ravenscroft piano crackles immediately on my phone, even at high buffer settings, but it runs without crackles on my iPad.

So it's possible that your issue relates to this, in my opinion the A12 CU isn't well-designed for running audio apps.

Really interesting, could you provide more info? Proof links? Has Apple admitted to it?

• @vov said:

@richardyot said:
    @vov There have been many reports that the 2018 iPads have CPU load problems, probably down to the fact that they use the low-power cores even when running the audio thread, resulting in crackles even on what should be an easy load.

Really interesting, could you provide more info? Proof links? Has Apple admitted to it?

There were some discussions last year, both here and on Gearslutz:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29769/gen-3-ipad-pro-users-have-you-noticed-significant-cpu-spikes/p1

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30137/ipad-pro-2018-anyone-else-with-massive-crackles/p1

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31189/so-does-the-12-1-3-update-fix-the-audio-problems-on-the-new-ipad-pros

iOS 12.1.3 fixed the worst issues, but I know from my own experience with my iPhone XR vs my iPad Pro 10.5 that the older CPU just seems to run music apps better. The A10 Fusion is 2 generations older than the A12, but runs music apps better in my case at least. It's possible of course that the phone throttles sooner than the iPad (in fact it's certain) but in my case the differences are obvious immediately.

• @richardyot said:

@vov said:

@richardyot said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29769/gen-3-ipad-pro-users-have-you-noticed-significant-cpu-spikes/p1

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30137/ipad-pro-2018-anyone-else-with-massive-crackles/p1

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31189/so-does-the-12-1-3-update-fix-the-audio-problems-on-the-new-ipad-pros

iOS 12.1.3 fixed the worst issues, but I know from my own experience with my iPhone XR vs my iPad Pro 10.5 that the older CPU just seems to run music apps better. The A10 Fusion is 2 generations older than the A12, but runs music apps better in my case at least. It's possible of course that the phone throttles sooner than the iPad (in fact it's certain) but in my case the differences are obvious immediately.

Yes, that’s about my experience. I wish there were concrete data about it. I really fed up with my iPad Pro and wish I could return it.

• edited September 2019

@vov said:

@richardyot said:

@vov said:

@richardyot said:

Yes, that’s about my experience. I wish there were concrete data about it. I really fed up with my iPad Pro and wish I could return it.

This is a different subject, please create new thread. Thanks!

• Same. First-gen iPad Pro rain music apps better. My 2018 iPad Pro is almost unusable for multi-app music. It's not the crackles. It's the crashes, and the fact that sometimes, the apps just refuse to work together.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Same. First-gen iPad Pro rain music apps better. My 2018 iPad Pro is almost unusable for multi-app music. It's not the crackles. It's the crashes, and the fact that sometimes, the apps just refuse to work together.

As topic caster asked not to derail this thread I created a new one.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34747/share-your-ipad-pro-2018-experience-please#latest

• edited September 2019

@Samu

Was it possible to use different wavetables in separate instances in bs-16i in ios12?

Edit: not to worry it still doesn't reload separate wavetables in separate bs-16i instances. 👎

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Pierre118 said:

For instance if you try apps which use samples like tardigrain, spacecraft granular or reslice. I could run three SC instruments before an instance would crash on ios 12. Now on ios13 i can run 9 and then its the cpu which is the blocker.

that sounds very healthy.. with Spacecraft usually the third instance will crash all instances, maybe not right away but when you come to reopen the project (in say cubasis) the au gui will be blank .. in fact Mark the dev says 2 instances is really safe maximum for spacecraft given the rescources it uses..
    if you can get 9 of them going then... wow! that’s really quite a radical upswing for Au’s on this new ios version... it’s going to be hard to resist iPadIOS,,, and i’m a stickler for waiting it out on the sidelines...

• edited September 2019

@RockySmalls said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Pierre118 said:

For instance if you try apps which use samples like tardigrain, spacecraft granular or reslice. I could run three SC instruments before an instance would crash on ios 12. Now on ios13 i can run 9 and then its the cpu which is the blocker.

that sounds very healthy.. with Spacecraft usually the third instance will crash all instances, maybe not right away but when you come to reopen the project (in say cubasis) the au gui will be blank .. in fact Mark the dev says 2 instances is really safe maximum for spacecraft given the rescources it uses..
    if you can get 9 of them going then... wow! that’s really quite a radical upswing for Au’s on this new ios version... it’s going to be hard to resist iPadIOS,,, and i’m a stickler for waiting it out on the sidelines...

Yep, i was shocked so i wanted other Ipados 13 beta users to confirm. 👍

• I own a iPad Pro 12.9"2017. I can start 9 Spacecraft instances in AUM, cpu around 60%, so no problem. BUT, when moving the AUM interface constantly left and right the cpu sometimes come above the 100% and the sound starts to crackle. When I stop moving the cpu falls down again to around 60%. I'm on iPadOS 13.1 Beta 3.

• @Pierre118 said:
    I own a iPad Pro 12.9"2017. I can start 9 Spacecraft instances in AUM, cpu around 60%, so no problem. BUT, when moving the AUM interface constantly left and right the cpu sometimes come above the 100% and the sound starts to crackle. When I stop moving the cpu falls down again to around 60%. I'm on iPadOS 13.1 Beta 3.

Cool! Thanks for the intel 👍

• @Pierre118 said:
    I own a iPad Pro 12.9"2017. I can start 9 Spacecraft instances in AUM, cpu around 60%, so no problem. BUT, when moving the AUM interface constantly left and right the cpu sometimes come above the 100% and the sound starts to crackle. When I stop moving the cpu falls down again to around 60%. I'm on iPadOS 13.1 Beta 3.

Are you able to save and reload the project without getting any glitches? I think that would be a good test.

• @richardyot said:

@Pierre118 said:

Are you able to save and reload the project without getting any glitches? I think that would be a good test.

This +1

• Yep save and reload works in AUM for me but of course CPU is the limiter here for so many instances.

• I can save and reload the project without any glitches. The only point it crackles is when I swipe the AUM interface.

• @Pierre118 said:
    I can save and reload the project without any glitches. The only point it crackles is when I swipe the AUM interface.

Cool - it really does look like Apple have removed the RAM restrictions on AUs! That's great news.

• @richardyot said:

@Pierre118 said:
    I can save and reload the project without any glitches. The only point it crackles is when I swipe the AUM interface.

Cool - it really does look like Apple have removed the RAM restrictions on AUs! That's great news.

I can not compare it with IOS12, but maybe someone can? With a iPad Pro 2017?

• @Pierre118 said:

@richardyot said:

@Pierre118 said:

I can not compare it with IOS12, but maybe someone can? With a iPad Pro 2017?

Before when i was on ios12 i could only run 3 instances of SC max before crashes on my ipad. Now 9 + so its looking positive at the moment. Fingers crossed. 🤞👍

• @richardyot said:

@Pierre118 said:

Wow, this is really great if true!