Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can ppl share their experience with ios simulation apps like Korg, Moogs, 303, Guitar amps etc ???

I was hoping people could share their experience retro simulation apps on ios like what closest 303, piano, moog,, guitar amp etc are.

As for a 303 i got this app called bassline, i like the features, i wish it had the original look with the KAOS pad like option Korg offers, but i still to find that aggressive feel the real 303 hardware offers,

Moog module and animoog sound fantastic, almos as good as the real deal (im sure it suds better face to face)..

anyway , please share what apps you guys fund on ios that really sound like the instrument its emulating.... as for guitar amps i went with Bias on ios to have it all (metal to blues etc)

Thanks!

Comments

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

Moogs and Korgs are fantastic. My only grudge is that I can’t use more than 3 or 4 of those apps in a host... with enough fx plugins even on iPad Pro, but they do sound great. And patching cables is fun too.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

BeBot is hands-down the best retro singing robot emulation I have ever found on any platform.

Or maybe he's real. I'm not so sure any more.

• @wim said:
    BeBot is hands-down the best retro singing robot emulation I have ever found on any platform.

Or maybe he's real. I'm not so sure any more.

Indeed. It's really just a controller app. There's a warehouse someplace in Romania filled with singing robots. The sound you hear is captured audio, piped back.

• I suspected as much. I hope they're well cared for and they're not held against their will in some moisture laden, power fluctuating, hell hole. And that they don't have to pay for their own tuxedos and oil changes.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

MV08 for best 808 emulator, IMO.

• I was hoping people could share their experience retro simulation apps on ios like what closest 303, piano, moog,, guitar amp etc are.

Bassline is fantastic 303 emulation. There's also Bram Bos' Troublemaker.

Elliot Garage make pretty bang on Roland Drum Machine emulations. Ruismaker is more fun though. FunkBox comes with an amazing set of classic drum machine samples.

Moog Model D and Model 15 are magic.

Sunrizer is a great all round synth and is sorta modeled on the JP-8000.

All of the Korg emulations are very very good at sounding like the originals.

For DX7 there's a few. I like KQ Dixie. AudioKit FM Player 2: DX + AU is also popular. Bram's Phasemaker is the most FM fun for me though. Not a DX7 emulation—just an easy, musical FM synth.

You already found Module. Folks also seem to dig Ravenscroft 275 for piano but I've never tried.

For electric piano, Neo-Soul keys is prolly the one to beat. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/neo-soul-keys/id579058867

For organs, I love Galileo. There are two versions. V2 is universal and works as an AUv3. V1 sounds just as good to my ears but is ipad only and doesn't work as an AUv3. V1 is cheaper. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/galileo-organ-2/id1376362836

For a general purpose 'natural' instrument emulation app, Thumbjam still rules. Lots of included instrument samples (strings, bells, percussion, etc) and is awfully fun to play. For natural percussion, it's cousin DrumJam is basically the best. Also very fun to play.

I think BeatHawk comes with a lot of 'natural' instruments too but I haven't opened it in a long while.

• All the Elliot Garage drum machines do an excellent job of recreating the vibe, interface-wise, of the older drum machines. Sound-wise, they're good enough in a basic sense, but they're romplers really, so it's possible to do just as well with samples collected from the internet in any sampler. But the combination of ease of grabbing a recognizable retro sound, enhanced by retro looks works for me. They're fun.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

iELECTRIBE!! That shoulda been first to my mind. To be fair, it gets sidelined as I prefer AU's more and more.

• I am currently of the opinion that the Digital-to-Analog conversion process of an iPad/iPhone straight guitar dooms the results significantly. So better equipment in front of the iPad is needed. This week I was told to get the Joyo JF-14 Amp Sim pedal for a good cheap solution at $40 and it seems to help for my classic Fender needs. I suspect a Metal player might need something else and maybe the Joyo British (Marshall) or Calfornian (Mesa Boogie) Joyo would be the right start.

Front end any of the IOS Amp Sim's and it will be a lot better to give that app a better starting signal to process.

There are expensive A-to-D audio interfaces that probably would also change the outcome of an analog musical device.

I get a lot of solid advice along these lines from @richardyot for studio tools and @flo26 for guitar recordings.

For EDM you can't find better than @samu and many others. I'm just clueless about that world. I have a nephew that I did turn on to NanoStudio 2 recently. He has a studio full of classic EDM hardware collected over 30 years but never took an IOS app seriously. He was truly impressed with NS2's synth and workflow like many here. He made a complete project in a hour and was blown away by the app design and results.

• Uno love retro apps. First few think of -

IFX Rack
    Reamp
    Galileo 2
    FM Tines
    ToneStack (motherload)

• @vov ... are you not freezing tracks? Unless you do your track numbers will always be limited.

• I settle for less than best when using acoustic iOS sounds. However, some are amazingly good, like BeatHawk Mallets inapp. The Baroque BeatHawk classical guitar also quite excellent. Guys like @flo26 can tweak presets to amp up the realism. Ravenscroft 275 pretty damn good.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @vov ... are you not freezing tracks? Unless you do your track numbers will always be limited.

I haven’t found this feature in BM3 or NS2, I don’t think there’s one in any DAW I can use.

• @vov... not certain about that. Maybe the more knowledgeable will chime in. It might be better to go for a more conventional DAW, like Auria (for the elite) or Cubasis (the lo-pros, like me). It seems like the lack of multiple tracks will always be a frustration for you. Maybe you can import from BM3 or NS2 into a more traditional DAW?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @vov... not certain about that. Maybe the more knowledgeable will chime in. It might be better to go for a more conventional DAW, like Auria (for the elite) or Cubasis (the lo-pros, like me). It seems like the lack of multiple tracks will always be a frustration for you. Maybe you can import from BM3 or NS2 into a more traditional DAW?

I tried them I don’t think it’ll help for synths heavy music unless multicore audio processing is utilized, which doesn’t seem to be the case now on iOS. :(

• Maybe @Samu @wim @CracklePot has some insight on how to solve this problem?

• @vov said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @vov ... are you not freezing tracks? Unless you do your track numbers will always be limited.

I haven’t found this feature in BM3 or NS2, I don’t think there’s one in any DAW I can use.

I don't know about NS2 or BM3. Auria Pro and Cubasis have track freezing. GarageBand has something similar.

Are you sure that neither NS2 or BM3 has it?

• @GavrielProductions said:
    As for a 303 i got this app called bassline, i like the features, i wish it had the original look with the KAOS pad like option Korg offers, but i still to find that aggressive feel the real 303 hardware offers,

Moog module and animoog sound fantastic, almos as good as the real deal (im sure it suds better face to face)..

anyway , please share what apps you guys fund on ios that really sound like the instrument its emulating.... as for guitar amps i went with Bias on ios to have it all (metal to blues etc)

I like Troublemaker but haven't gone through the Trouble (haha) of comparing extensively with my Bassbot TT-303, which in turn is also an emulation of the real thing, but in hardware.

Animoog was not based on a real Moog synth, btw. I love Model 15 but tend to watch the DSP% display in AUM more than for other apps because it does impose a bit of a load. Never had the pleasure to compare to a real Model 15

Korg iMS-20 sounds close enough to my MS-20 Mini.

I haven't used the amp modelers much since I got a Boss Katana. However when working on an IOS project sometimes I like to use Tonestack. The model of Katana that I have does is not USB class compliant, and therefore cannot be used to record into iPad.

• @espiegel123 said:

@vov said:

@LinearLineman said:

I don't know about NS2 or BM3. Auria Pro and Cubasis have track freezing. GarageBand has something similar.

Can NS2 freeze if it has no Audio Tracks?
    Would it freeze to the Sampler?
    I have NS2, but haven’t even used it.
    Been waiting for it to get those Audio tracks.

• The few I can think of that I think weren’t already mentioned:
    Syntronik - I like it. IK been getting beat up around here lately, so proceed with caution. Maybe check the free version if they still offer it.
    Synclavier Go - I have no experience with the real one, but I think this app sounds awesome.
    DM-1 - sample based, but sounds good, lots of kits, very affordable.

For Acoustic stuff, I am looking at those 4 Embertone apps lately. Right now, I use mostly Beathawk and ThumbJam, sometimes GarageBand for these types of instruments and sounds.

Almost forgot about iOptigan and Steel Guitar. First one is weird fun, second one is amazingly realistic and fun.

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@vov said:

@LinearLineman said:

Can NS2 freeze if it has no Audio Tracks?
    Would it freeze to the Sampler?
    I have NS2, but haven’t even used it.
    Been waiting for it to get those Audio tracks.

As I said, I can't speak for NS2, but he can use other apps if he needs freezing.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

Sorry... wrong thread.

• Gadget is full of retro gear.

• Poison-202 has some very familiar sounding presets.
    Preset sounds that you can’t believe are coming out of the same synth.

• edited September 2019

@CracklePot said:
    The few I can think of that I think weren’t already mentioned:
    Syntronik - I like it. IK been getting beat up around here lately, so proceed with caution. Maybe check the free version if they still offer it.
    Synclavier Go - I have no experience with the real one, but I think this app sounds awesome.

For Acoustic stuff, I am looking at those 4 Embertone apps lately. Right now, I use mostly Beathawk and ThumbJam, sometimes GarageBand for these types of instruments and sounds.

Almost forgot about iOptigan and Steel Guitar. First one is weird fun, second one is amazingly realistic and fun.

Just tried and returned Syntronik, some synths sounded ok but the 303 was so bad compared to retronyms “tabletop’s “ 303 version or bassline,

i should also mention that i had a horrible experience trying to find my way around the whole Syntronik hierarchy system, i finally reminded myself that its IK Multimedia, like Apple they want to appear simple yet they make everything so complicated to extort you into believing that spending tons of money on their accessories will solve your own problem when it was them all along who set it up!

• @McD said:
    I am currently of the opinion that the Digital-to-Analog conversion process of an iPad/iPhone straight guitar dooms the results significantly. So better equipment in front of the iPad is needed. This week I was told to get the Joyo JF-14 Amp Sim pedal for a good cheap solution at $40 and it seems to help for my classic Fender needs. I suspect a Metal player might need something else and maybe the Joyo British (Marshall) or Calfornian (Mesa Boogie) Joyo would be the right start.

Front end any of the IOS Amp Sim's and it will be a lot better to give that app a better starting signal to process.

There are expensive A-to-D audio interfaces that probably would also change the outcome of an analog musical device.

I get a lot of solid advice along these lines from @richardyot for studio tools and @flo26 for guitar recordings.

For EDM you can't find better than @samu and many others. I'm just clueless about that world. I have a nephew that I did turn on to NanoStudio 2 recently. He has a studio full of classic EDM hardware collected over 30 years but never took an IOS app seriously. He was truly impressed with NS2's synth and workflow like many here. He made a complete project in a hour and was blown away by the app design and results.

I got a universal audio apollo x8 this summer for my Mac, and I can say that with the front end of that thing, amp Sims sound much much better, so even though that is not for iPad, you are correct that a better front end is going to make a difference. Amplitube sounds tremendously better (on Mac) when interfacing through the apollo than any of the interfaces I've been able to use on my ios devices previously- I couldn't believe the difference in conversion from my focusrite 18i6 to the apollo (apollo is thunderbolt so it won't ever be ios compatible).

Still, my focusrite itrack pocket works fine for using amplitube or the like to warm up or learn songs while on a gig.

• @GavrielProductions said:

@CracklePot said:
    The few I can think of that I think weren’t already mentioned:

Just tried and returned Syntronik, some synths sounded ok but the 303 was so bad compared to retro ups tabletops version or bass line.

@mrufino1 said:

@McD said:
    I am currently of the opinion that the Digital-to-Analog conversion process of an iPad/iPhone straight guitar dooms the results significantly. So better equipment in front of the iPad is needed. This week I was told to get the Joyo JF-14 Amp Sim pedal for a good cheap solution at $40 and it seems to help for my classic Fender needs. I suspect a Metal player might need something else and maybe the Joyo British (Marshall) or Calfornian (Mesa Boogie) Joyo would be the right start.

I got a universal audio apollo x8 this summer for my Mac, and I can say that with the front end of that thing, amp Sims sound much much better, so even though that is not for iPad, you are correct that a better front end is going to make a difference. Amplitube sounds tremendously better (on Mac) when interfacing through the apollo than any of the interfaces I've been able to use on my ios devices previously- I couldn't believe the difference in conversion from my focusrite 18i6 to the apollo (apollo is thunderbolt so it won't ever be ios compatible).

Still, my focusrite itrack pocket works fine for using amplitube or the like to warm up or learn songs while on a gig.

I like both and especially the focusrite Neve stuff...i dont see how Ampliube can benefit from a apollo x8, doe sit come as a plug in for UA ios?

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Gadget is full of retro gear.

Gadget is great, i use it allot but im still frustrated with exporting/sharing sessions, i work on an ipad pro and like he idea of using my iphone on the go for quick ideas, but i cant export or import sessions, only bounced audio (wav) tracks, very frustrating as i wanted to tweak something here and there.

• @McD said:

For EDM you can't find better than @samu and many others.

I know nada about EDM but ChipSounds, Sampling and Trackerstuff are topics I'm really into just in case... :)

• @Samu said:

@McD said:

For EDM you can't find better than @samu and many others.

I know nada about EDM but ChipSounds, Sampling and Trackerstuff are topics I'm really into just in case... :)

Well... obviously I know less about EDM than you do. For me it's music based on electronic
    sounds. Sad but I try to learn when facts are shared and I'll even follow strong opinions.
    You can re-use facts and passionate opinions. I just learned something about 3 historic sub-genres of computer music.

When did anyone mention SunVox. I got over it. It's still an elegant piece of software... I just
    got tired of it's sounds.