Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QT: Beathawk AU midi out

Hi

In AUM I'm using Beathawk AU and NOISE Melody AU. I'm using my Roli Lightpad Block M as input.

Beathawk AU sends midi to NOISE Melody.

My problem is, that while recording in Beathawk, NOISE Melody doesn't produce any sound.
But as soon as I finish recording in Beathawk and starts play back, NOISE Melody plays the recorded notes just fine!

So Beathawk is sending the midi to NOISE Melody as expected, but not while playing on the Lightpad Block and not while playing on AUM's internal keyboard. Only when playing back the recorded notes.

Midi Routing is like this:

Input to NOISE Melody is:

In Beathawk I have selected Pad 1:

And in Track/Browser I have selected Browser menu/Clear selected Pad:

In Beathawk Audio/Midi settings are:

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Comments

• @White said:

My problem is, that while recording in Beathawk, NOISE Melody doesn't produce any sound.
    But as soon as I finish recording in Beathawk and starts play back, NOISE Melody plays the recorded notes just fine!

So Beathawk is sending the midi to NOISE Melody as expected, but not while playing on the Lightpad Block and not while playing on AUM's internal keyboard. Only when playing back the recorded notes.

That is as far as I see it a bug in BeatHawk that needs fixing asap!

This is a bit of a shame since the BeatHawk sequencer could be a quite handy tool to sequence Midi CC's as well with easy access to all of them.

You could try reporting it to UVI or something...

• @Samu said:

@White said:

This is a bit of a shame since the BeatHawk sequencer could be a quite handy tool to sequence Midi CC's as well with easy access to all of them.

Thanks for the reply, I will do that πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

• @White said:

@Samu said:

@White said:

In the meantime, you can work around it by turning through off and routing the input devices to both BH and Noise and continue routing the BH output as you have it.

• edited September 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@White said:

@Samu said:

@White said:

In the meantime, you can work around it by turning through off and routing the input devices to both BH and Noise and continue routing the BH output as you have it.

Yes, I will do that, thanks 😊

• I do love this forum so much. You all should know that I have happily witnessed this troubleshooting, and though I probably will forget, it's made me think about how to approach such a problem. Thanks, @white and @espiegel123 and @Samu

• I have received a reply from UVI:

Thanks for reaching us.

I confirm you that this behavior is normal, BeatHawk's midi output only works when playing back recorded midi data in BeatHawk's sequencer,

If you want to hear the sound of NOISE Melody while recording midi you need to enable the connexion between your Lightpad Block and NOISE Melody in AUM's midi routing (see screenshot attached).

Hope this helps.

Enjoy and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    All the best from Paris,
    Support Team

So according to UVI, it’s normal behavior that midi output only works when playing back recorded midi data πŸ€”

@espiegel123, so your workaround is the way to do it πŸ‘

• It is how you deal with any app lacking Midi Thru.

• @White said:

So according to UVI, it’s normal behavior that midi output only works when playing back recorded midi data πŸ€”

This just UVI's way of making an poor excuse for not having a full midi-implementation in BH ;)
    It would be nice when editing the notes if the midi got sent as well but hey, BH is most likely meant to be used with the IAP content anyway as the sampler doesn't even include a trim to cut out slack before saving the recorded samples and no monitoring or input selection when using external audio interfaces etc. etc.

I treat BH more like a rompler even though I wish we would have a bit more access to the instrument and effects settings which are obviously there but hidden from the user. (Like tune & pan the individual sounds in 'drumkits' without having to track down each individual sample and waste pads since its 16 pads only).

Don't know if UVI ever plans to update BH or if it's just used and seen as a 'content store' without any further development taking place...

• The sampler is the most needed update for Beathawk.

• @stormywaterz said:
    The sampler is the most needed update for Beathawk.

Agreed, the sequencer and midi editing works pretty well once one gets used to it and easily being able to re-use pattern variations is quite nice. A 'transpose per pad' in song mode would have brought it up a notch and made re-using patterns even more efficient.

But agreed, at least a 'trim before save' and input selection with monitoring and well, having access to all the synthesis 'things' present in the UVI engine would have been a bonus (ie. pitch, filter & amp envelopes LFOs etc. etc.).

• BeatHawk is all about fast workflow .

Wish UVI updates the GUI , it looks old and the AU version looks garbage

• @Korakios said:

Wish UVI updates the GUI , it looks old and the AU version looks garbage

LOL, the AUv3 UI is the iPhone version :D

• FYI. New sound pack available in Beathawk. EDM drum pack.

I hope they could update the original sound packs with more presets eventually.

• I just got a new reply from UVI:

I will forward your suggestions regarding the midi output monitoring and a "Select All Notes" option in BeatHawk's Step Editor to our team.

So there's still a chance the issue gets solved 😊

• @White said:
    I just got a new reply from UVI:

I will forward your suggestions regarding the midi output monitoring and a "Select All Notes" option in BeatHawk's Step Editor to our team.

Thanks, as an AUV3 it's also a pretty good 'midi only' sequencer with access to all Midi CC's.
    So with some creative routing in AUM one instance can control 16 different AUv3's with their own CC->AUParam mappings.
    (This takes a lot of time but might be worth it once the midi output monitoring is working).

Once this midi thing is out of the way they might start to improve the sampler with you know basic things like trim before save, adding slice markers and things like that :)

• @Samu said:

@White said:

Thanks, as an AUV3 it's also a pretty good 'midi only' sequencer with access to all Midi CC's.
    So with some creative routing in AUM one instance can control 16 different AUv3's with their own CC->AUParam mappings.
    (This takes a lot of time but might be worth it once the midi output monitoring is working).

Once this midi thing is out of the way they might start to improve the sampler with you know basic things like trim before save, adding slice markers and things like that :)

Yes, Beathawk is very good, I'm using it more and more because it's the only Auv3 pianoroll editor with a songmode.

Let's hope UVI continues development on it and fixes the issues it has.

• They could do so much with Beathawk. I’m have so many ideas like a mixer window and more effects and add a synth and drum designer.

• @stormywaterz said:
    They could do so much with Beathawk. I’m have so many ideas like a mixer window and more effects and add a synth and drum designer.

Yeah, a mixer would sure be nice.

I wish the IAA had multiple audio outs. I can get 16 instruments playing in the single app, but I cannot get more than a few going as separate AU instances.

• @White said:

I was on the beta, and missed this issue. The beta is closed but I forwarded this thread to my contact at UVI

• @Littlewoodg said:

@White said:

I was on the beta, and missed this issue. The beta is closed but I forwarded this thread to my contact at UVI

Thanks πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

• 2024: The midi out problem is still there! How boring!