Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QuantiLoop or Loopy HD

Which do you prefer and why please?

Also can anyone recommend a
Bluetooth midi controller for iOS or is a wired midi controller
such as the Behringer FCB1010 more preferable?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Loopy for non guitar stuff

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve had loopy since I started in iOS. Just recently picked up Quantiloop and I love it. Very much like the BOSS looping pedals and can load IAA, AUv3 instruments and FX right in the app. Intuitive for me. I use the iRig blueboard but I know that doesn’t work for everyone.

• edited September 2019

@d4d0ug

Thanks for that, I like the look of that controller more rugged it seems then
    the Behringer and I like my foot pedals to feel like foot pedals.
    Have you tried any expression pedals as well.
    Thinking about getting the wah happening on Tonestack live.
    I do have an original crybaby but I like the wah after the distortion not before.

@mjcouche

Cool, I'll most probably get both but sounds like Quantiloops
    is going to be the main one for me as I like the fact that you can add
    in instruments, IAA, Auv3 and fx.
    Also I was about to buy a Boss RC-300 and as it does the same thing
    and I have all my other stuff on the ipad that's the way to go.

Thank you.

• @d4d0ug said:
    Group The Loop (or Loopy HD) here.

GTL is getting an update soon....

I find Quantiloop UX a bit impenetrable, or maybe I find the others more direct / faster.

My new midi foot controller arrives tomorrow. I’m going all in with a looping based rig.

GTL for vocals and iPhone stuff....

• I've had harley benton Mp 100 for a few days. I sent it back because it didn't have a true momentary mode if I remember correctly. Well made and can be programmed on the unit but I couldn't live with the issue. I don't think it is more rugged than FCB. FCB is like it's been built in the 80's but it is also massive. Hb's footprint is small but you'll have to deal with smaller spacing between pedals.

• @Gravitas Maybe we need a little more information on what your setup looks like or what your vision of a setup would look like? are you just starting out into looping? Do you play physical instruments or mainly routing iOS synths and drum machines into a looper?

Generally LoopyHd is great, depending on your setup but will need Audiobus in order to route any AU sounds into it. It has no AUv3 support or effects. Lots of midi binding options for controlling loops.

Quantiloop is somewhere between an RC-30 and an RC-505. has 4 independent tracks and a can have a rhythm section. It is an AUv3 host, which means it can host AUv3 effects and instruments for input, input effects and track effects. plus it has some built in effects.

like @d4d0ug said, the interface is a little, unintuitive but you can midi map pretty much all the functions to an external midi controller so that helps.

GroupTheloop is getting an update that is pretty awesome. The interface is pretty intuitive but having a midi controller helps. It also has a lot of midi bindings. Its strength is, it has a master group that always plays (usually for drums or the groove) and sub groups, which can represent different parts of a song.

• There's also Roland FC200 and 300 to consider as well as IK multimedia BlueBoard and positive grid bt 4.

I'm personally using a modified keith mcmillen's softstep 1.

• edited September 2019

Both Loopy HD and GroupTheLoop are awesome. Loopy is a bit more easier to learn for beginners, and it’s more classic looping stuff. GroupTheLoop is another world, looping on groups is much more challenging but you can also go much deeper in your music IMO. After two years on Loopy I switched to GTL for all my looping stuff, beta version on iPhone 7 Plus. BlueBoard is very reliable, works very well with MidiFire script.

• @gmslayton said:
    @Gravitas Maybe we need a little more information on what your setup looks like or what your vision of a setup would look like? are you just starting out into looping? Do you play physical instruments or mainly routing iOS synths and drum machines into a looper?

Generally LoopyHd is great, depending on your setup but will need Audiobus in order to route any AU sounds into it. It has no AUv3 support or effects. Lots of midi binding options for controlling loops.

Quantiloop is somewhere between an RC-30 and an RC-505. has 4 independent tracks and a can have a rhythm section. It is an AUv3 host, which means it can host AUv3 effects and instruments for input, input effects and track effects. plus it has some built in effects.

like @d4d0ug said, the interface is a little, unintuitive but you can midi map pretty much all the functions to an external midi controller so that helps.

GroupTheloop is getting an update that is pretty awesome. The interface is pretty intuitive but having a midi controller helps. It also has a lot of midi bindings. Its strength is, it has a master group that always plays (usually for drums or the groove) and sub groups, which can represent different parts of a song.

I'm a multi-instrumentalist.
    Drums, bass guitar, guitar, vocals, percussion and keys
    I'm starting out in terms of live looping rather than studio based stuff.
    Studio isn't a problem at all.

So basically I need to be able to record in this order for now

Live guitar
    Percussion
    Bass guitar
    Live drums

and to be able to create A/B sections switchable live.

I like the idea of Ableton style looping but if I can do
    the majority live then yep I'll be more than happy.

• Group the loop deo my favourite or the loopy HD

• edited September 2019

@Gravitas said:

@gmslayton said:
    @Gravitas Maybe we need a little more information on what your setup looks like or what your vision of a setup would look like? are you just starting out into looping? Do you play physical instruments or mainly routing iOS synths and drum machines into a looper?

Live guitar
    Percussion
    Bass guitar
    Live drums

GroupTheLoop is a bit like Live session mode, but is even better for looping with fixed audio loop lenght and powerful midi control (looping control can be applied on selected group). Works very well with AUM or Audiobus too.

• @d4d0ug said:
    On the controller from I’ve ordered one of these

https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_mp_100_midi_foot_controller.htm

It’s wired

I’d probably use the batteries and the 5-pin midi out into the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapter and make it wireless and use 2 extra add on pedals for volume and expression controls. Please comment on the button quality which is the most pressing complaint with the excellent 4 button BlueBoard. Those buttons are NOT like the Boss Loopers for haptic feedback which is important I think for accurate grooves so you can learn the device intuitively.

• @McD

I agree, I've tried loopers before and I have always
    found the click a little off in regards to timing.

Still, I wasn't that motivated at that time to do live looping.

Thank you for advice so far,
    all round good food for thought especially
    in regards to the foot pedals which
    I know is going to be the decider for me.

• edited September 2019

I use one of these (did have a Blueboard initially but prefer this):
    https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-bt200s-4-controller

They also do a 2 button and 6 button model.

• edited September 2019

@TimRussell said:
    I use one of these (did have a Blueboard initially but prefer this):
    https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-bt200s-4-controller

They also do a 2 button and 6 button model.

Looks very good, thanks for the link.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Loopy for non guitar stuff

Why?

• Loopy HD is a perfect tool for guitar practice

• @Gravitas said:

@gmslayton said:

Live guitar
    Percussion
    Bass guitar
    Live drums

I have a similar user case and happily use loopy but GTL has that magical AB feature that will work for you if you want the part switching feature. It’s in the name of the app I guess. The dev is well responsive and betas roll in fairly regularly so it seems to be a safe choice.

• As soon as I have a set ready I think that
    I'm going to go for QuantiLoop.
    It seems straight forward enough.

For foot controllers I'll test a few before purchase.
    The feel of them is definitely going to be the decider.

Once again thank you all for your input.

• @ttk said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Loopy for non guitar stuff

Why?

+1

• For Quantiloop the IK Multimedia Blueboard works pretty well.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    For Quantiloop the IK Multimedia Blueboard works pretty well.

I need to be able to use either Tonestack or AmpliTube as well as Quantiloop.

Saying that I could always use actual foot pedals for
    the instruments and the Blueboard for Quantiloop.

Thank you for the recommendation.

• Or vice versa

• @Gravitas said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    For Quantiloop the IK Multimedia Blueboard works pretty well.

I need to be able to use either Tonestack or AmpliTube as well as Quantiloop.

Saying that I could always use actual foot pedals for
    the instruments and the Blueboard for Quantiloop.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Do you mean at the same time? If not, the Blueboard works well with all of those. I think there may be a way to do multiple apps at the same time, but I am not sure. I think the Blueboard app allows for that customization.

• Group the loop is good. I have never understood or liked the GUI of Loopy. I think stagelight is good too even though it's a DAW it works very well as a looper.