Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favorite 'run and gun' audio recorder on iOS??

I am wading through literally hundreds of apps trying to find something I can make quick voice recordings with - primarily using it to write lyrics, almost like an audio 'notepad'...

Here is what I need:

• Ad Free!!
  • Must be SIMPLE to get running, inspiration gets killed when I have to set up lots of things.
  • Ability to pause in the middle of recording, then resume, keeping all on one file
  • Intelligent file management system with folders, sort by date / length of recording etc
  • Simple trim ability, as well as 'join', loop playback (for precise trims) a bonus.
  • Export, zip, etc...
  • More bonus: Auv3 slots or at least 'maximize' and 'limiter'.
  • Super bonus: Voice to text and text export, simple metronome.

Even though I know I could cobble something together with existing apps, I think if someone made a new one, and it was marketed as a 'Rap' or 'Hip Hop' or 'Lyric' tool, I think it would sell quite well...

I would love to use AudioShare for this, but there is no pause button that I've found... Unless I'm an idiot? LMK

Comments

• @scottsunn said:
    I am wading through literally hundreds of apps trying to find something I can make quick voice recordings with - primarily using it to write lyrics, almost like an audio 'notepad'...

Here is what I need:

• Ad Free!!
    • Must be SIMPLE to get running, inspiration gets killed when I have to set up lots of things.
    • Ability to pause in the middle of recording, then resume, keeping all on one file
    • Intelligent file management system with folders, sort by date / length of recording etc
    • Simple trim ability, as well as 'join', loop playback (for precise trims) a bonus.
    • Export, zip, etc...

Even though I know I could cobble something together with existing apps, I think if someone made a new one, and it was marketed as a 'Rap' or 'Hip Hop' or 'Lyric' tool, I think it would sell quite well...

I would love to use AudioShare for this, but there is no pause button that I've found... Unless I'm an idiot? LMK

I use AudioShare for this sort of thing. And while it doesn't have a pause button, it has folders to keep things together that one would like to merge into a take. When I need to merge things, I just use drag 'n drop to bring them into a DAW and merge them.

I just find AudioShare so convenient to use and use with other apps that I found it more productive to just use what I have.

That being said, you might want to look at Hokusai and the related Ferrite. Some people really like them.

• Garageband. Set up a template (that you then duplicate to make a new song) that already has an audio track with microphone input set, and set the length of the section to a suitable number of measures (set it to 300 measures or something, if you record sketches longer than that you are writing entire operas I guess!).

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

I’ve always just used AudioShare, but I think you definitely should check out Rooms! Audio Recorder.

Rooms! - Audio Recorder by Markus Sigg https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rooms-audio-recorder/id572894725

Universal, standalone, AUv3, good file and folder management. And it opens by default straight to a nice, big, fat, red, old fashioned, record/stop/play button. You can’t miss it.

Bonus: includes an excellent AUv3 impluse response loader for awesome reverbs and guitar cabinet emulation.

• I use TwistedWave for all my on the go audio recordings.
    Twisted Recorder is free to try and can be IAPed to the full TwistedWave.

• Then there’s the one from Hokusai developer for pdcasts but I personally can’t cope with them...

• Audioshare
    Audioshare
    Audioshare

• Just Press Record. Not sure if it can join, though.

• edited September 2019

AudioShare.

Voice recorder or music memos by Apple are also really quick

Voice Memos: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/music-memos/id1036437162

It’s made for recording piano or guitar ideas primarily (it has drums and bass backibg tracks that automatically follow what you’re playing) but it works fine with vocals too and you can tag what you record to find it easily layer (tags like chorus, verse etc, or male your own tag system).

It has multiple takes but not a pause button.

But it loads really quickly. You can then export easily to GarageBand for all the other things you need such as AUs limiters etc.

Also you can add notes to each clip such as lyrics.

It’s not perfect but fits the most important aspect of speed. You get a bug record button instantly every time you launch the app.

Just a thought.

• Tape by Focusrite has most of what you’re looking for.
    Record and stop and you can add a “studio master” to your recording.
    Trim and open in/export to other apps.
    Even has a cool retro reel to reel look.
    No pause though.

• edited September 2019

I use apples voice memos as it is so quick to use and has a pause button and as soon as I have done the recording I send it to audioshare for file management. I use metronome bounce tempo app from dmitry klochkov as it has Ableton link enabled and is super easy with a volume button so it can link apps together and not be heard if you don’t want it. It is a stand alone app. For super fine editing of the audio file I am not sure!

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    I use TwistedWave for all my on the go audio recordings.

I went ahead and bought twisted, because I like the name and it does most of what I want. But I mostly use / love AudioShare and hope they add some features or upgrade, because its nice to have all simple recording tasks in one...

• Audioshare would be so badass if you could just drop a couple AU's in while recording, nothing trying to be a daw, just, you know, a recorder with some bonus points.

• edited September 2019

A new app would kill on this though, something made specifically for lyricists and MC's, sitting on the bus and thinking of lyrics. The real tech would be to provide a variety of rhythmic structures to work with, and have the app place the syllables in the right places, move them around, etc....

Devs should just hire me to come up with ideas LOL Sometimes I wish I could stop the ideas from coming, so many of them, no time to follow through. Thats life I guess.

• @scottsunn said:

Here is what I need:

• Ad Free!!
    • Export, zip, etc...

What you describe is quite exactly my wishlist for Audioshare features.
    But it just doesn't happen.
    If I had to choose a quick and simple lyrics snippets recorder, today it would be Koala.
    It couldn't get much faster than that.
    Hit a new pad for each recording, trimming is done by your finger while recording and later you either trigger the recordings using its sequencer or export the audio files and place them precisely on the DAW timeline (Cubasis, Audio Evolution, Garageband...).

• @rs2000 said:
    Hit a new pad for each recording, trimming is done by your finger while recording and later you either trigger the recordings using its sequencer or export the audio files and place them precisely on the DAW timeline (Cubasis, Audio Evolution, Garageband...).

That's great if you want to use the sample straight away but if you want to store a ton of samples and and come back to them later good luck finding your sample easily in Koala. AudioShare is better for long term storing and filing of sounds. Nothing againt Koala - it's great.

• @scottsunn said:
    Audioshare would be so badass if you could just drop a couple AU's in while recording, nothing trying to be a daw, just, you know, a recorder with some bonus points.

The 'work around' here is to use AUM as it saves all the files directly into AudioShare.

Once you've found an AUv3 effects chain you like you can save it as a session in AUM.
    When inspiration strikes fire up AUM load the session and tap record to capture...

In AUM the Rec button will start recording as soon as it's tapped and record each channel with R enabled to a separate file.
    In order to directly stop the recording tap the Pause button as tapping on Rec button will wait for the next quantum...

I've honestly not checked if AUM continues to record to the same file when pressing pause again as I usually tap pause and then stop.

Another app that has quite capable audio editor and is free is AudioCopy but it has its own fare share of issues.
    Might be worth a shot for quick recordings...

• edited September 2019

I used to use this Audio Recorder by YAMAHA a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=cBb_ViBdbPo

Don't know if it would suit you.

At least it is free so you can try it at no cost...

• @Simon said:

@rs2000 said:

That's great if you want to use the sample straight away but if you want to store a ton of samples and and come back to them later good luck finding your sample easily in Koala. AudioShare is better for long term storing and filing of sounds. Nothing againt Koala - it's great.

Just name the Koala project (i.e. the lyrics snippets) like the song you're writing the lyrics for.

• edited September 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Just name the Koala project (i.e. the lyrics snippets) like the song you're writing the lyrics for.

You are right - you could do that.

OK... I like AudioShare's built in server so you can transfer files acorss your network to your laptop or other devices. Can Koala do that...? :)

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    I use TwistedWave for all my on the go audio recordings.

Twisted wave seems to check all the boxes except file management. However, I use it with Audioshare's file management so that works for me.

It is also a very good simple editor. I use it to edit all kinds of sounds for samples. Can use Au3s for effects, but is still simple, not a DAW. I can open it really quick and capture field sounds I like for samples.

• edited September 2019

Voice Record Pro 7 by Dayana Networks Ltd This ones nice and free if you can hang with a small banner at the bottom of the screen. You can’t use AU3 but it has several effects like echo, reverb, pitch & speed, distortion and a couple more built in. Editing is easy using trim, split and append. Saves to the usual cloud services to include SoundCloud. You can add notes and it transcribes. It does a ton of stuff that could cover many needs. I chose VRP7 because it’s an apple watch app as well. Recording anything is as simple as tapping my watch.

• Voice record (pro) as simple or complex as you need

• AudioShare is mostly what I use for this, but Rode's Rec app is a little more fully featured while still easy to use.

• Another vote for Twisted Wave.... only gripe I have is not being able to enable/disable locator tracking. As I recall, it is always enabled, which makes editing start/end points on loops difficult while playing (if you’re zoomed in).

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

I'm not seeing why AUM isn't ideal. Set it up once, save the preset. Save the session with a new name. Recorded files go into the folder with the session name. Audioshare for quick trimming and for sharing with other devices, or apps, such as Twisted Wave if you need to do more precise editing.

Another nice thing about using AUM is you can listen to the track with FX applied while recording on a different track dry if you want.

And a built-in notepad.

• @wim said:
    I'm not seeing why AUM isn't ideal. Set it up once, save the preset. Save the session with a new name. Recorded files go into the folder with the session name. Audioshare for quick trimming and for sharing with other devices, or apps, such as Twisted Wave if you need to do more precise editing.

Another nice thing about using AUM is you can listen to the track with FX applied while recording on a different track dry if you want.

++++++++++++++++++1

• @Simon said:

@rs2000 said:

You are right - you could do that.

OK... I like AudioShare's built in server so you can transfer files acorss your network to your laptop or other devices. Can Koala do that...? :)

Actually, every iOS audio app should support local WiFi (WebDAV) file sharing!! :+1:

• @Simon said:
    I used to use this Audio Recorder by YAMAHA a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=cBb_ViBdbPo

Don't know if it would suit you.

At least it is free so you can try it at no cost...

Hey thanks for that one. Similar to Tape. Great for getting quick ideas down.
    Free is a good price too.