Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Frustration with IK and IK’s Response

Well, I went back on my better judgement and purchased Syntronik. I generally do not complain about apps, but IK gets my goat every time. Perfectly fine with the app. However, when I wanted to check the manual it informed me I had to register first. First bell going off. Why dat? I mean, I bought it did I not?

Ok, so I had registered with SampleTank... I tried to log in. Would not recognize my email. Second bell ringing. I emailed support and will see if I request a refund. Just letting you know if you expect to get the manual you must supply them with personal info and agree that they can use it promoting IK... otherwise, NO MANUAL! Never again.

Comments

• I didn’t believe you, but then I found this link https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17018

I too generally dislike IK. They have a very unpleasant way of doing things.

• That's the way @ikmultimedia rolls...

Gather as much info about the customer as possible and feed them with spam e-mail spam unless one opts-out from that ;)

I've purchased a fair share of IK hardware over the years (iRig Keys, iRig Pads, iRig Mic HD, iRig Mic Field, UNOSynth and a pair of iLoud Micro Monitors) which I'm actually quite happy with...

I've never used Jampoints to get hardware since I've always gotten a better deal at the local dealers so I fail to see the point on why I should pay more on the IK web-store...

Worth to note is that it's NOT possible to use the Jampoints to buy IAPs!
    That was one case when I actually would have liked to use the Jampoints to get IAPs.

It works the other way though. Buy an app in the AppStore register it and get Jampoints to buy hardware or desktop software.

IK is IK and will most likely stay IK and there's nothing we can really do about it.
    Either we like them and like their stuff or we don't it's as simple as that...

But I agree, manuals should be 'free dowloads' so potential customers can educate themselves before forking over the greens...

• Lol @robertreynolds! Confrontation avoided! @Samu, refund requested. Rip off my money, but not my soul!

• There's this level of businesses above the small developer that adds a marketing team and they are all about collecting customer data. IK Multimedia is just about the only company serving up apps for IOS that fits in this category. The desktop world has many like Waves, etc.

For privacy sake it's easy to create files identifies and really feed them an email account you
    never use except when you need it for changing passwords, or collecting something from support, etc.

I had a bad experience disclosing too much on the internet years ago and really try to
    limit giving too much away. But I own a lot of IK hardware so I've had to "sign up" to
    use my BlueBoard or key my little USB keyboard debugged (it was a bad iPhone connector).
    Their little guitar to IOS and MIDI devices are designed for portability. Syntronik is perfect for anyone that doesn't want to learn to program synths and covets classic sounds.

Anyway, we need more solutions and companies in that tier that can make cool stuff for us.
    Propellerheads is an example... they have a lots of assets yet to be shared with us. They will give away apps to get that marketing data for the long campaign of customer capture.

Anyway, I like a fine whine on a saturday afternoon. (Keep the product, make some music).

• IK produce some of my favourite plugins and apps. The current group buy for their desktop plugins has been a real eye opener for me. Just really high quality plugins. And Syntronik plus the built in FX sounds so good.

But yes, they are very heavy handed on the marketing and seem to make decisions that just really frustrate their customers. Why would you lock a manual behind a customer login?? The whole point of a manual is you often need it when you’re in a fix. Hit a hurdle, google for manual, work it out, carry on. The last thing you want to do is try to login, reset your password, wait hours for the reset email to land in your spam folder, and then forget why you wanted the manual in the first place...

• edited September 2019

I gave up years ago caring at all about anything IK regardless of how enticing their products, apps, gear may seem.

the whole "give us your info - or no user manual" stance just confirms that I made the right choice. LOL.

[edit: and of course, there are plenty of costumers willing to play the IK game, otherwise IK would be out of business... So no hard feelings toward any happy customers out there: peace and love)

• Absolutely @Hmtx. The app is very good. Just my personal experience.

• Well, at least they have a manual.
    It is pretty good, too.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Absolutely @Hmtx. The app is very good. Just my personal experience.

So... are you keeping it or shoving it back into their pie hole. You did get even here so
    they have been served notice and might consider exposing manuals for @Samu to read before buying. He'll find errors in the manuals of course.

• I applied to Apple for a refund @McD. I also emailed IK support. We shall see.

• When @LinearLineman applies for a refund, I pay attention. I already purchased the app, but have never gone farther than that. I may have used it, but i’ve Been off using other apps so don’t remember what happened.

Maybe it’s just me, but i’m Thinking that ABF comprises a fair share of the customer base for most music apps. A bad word here about an app likely affects sales at least somewhat significantly. I wonder if IK reps ever stop by here?

• edited September 2019

Haha @motmeister, I think the app is really good. This is my third request for a refund in a year and a half. Mitosynth cause I didn’t realize no AU, and IK SampleTank inapp Miroslav Philharmonic cause it sucks, IMO and now IK again.

I doubt IK cares about any flack from this forum. I would pay attention to negatives from you all, but I doubt we have much effect on the marketplace. Although when UVI refused to address the pedal noise on the Ravenscroft 275, lots of folks got turned off. And it was from pressure on this forum that they finally put in a volume control for pedal noise. There does seem to be a goodly amount of dissatisfaction with IK here.

Edit... I did apply for a refund for PureSynth, but both Gospel Musicians And Cubasis released updates at just that moment, that fixed both PS and BASSalicious for me. Glad, cause I love them both.

• People seem to like IK's products but not their marketing department.

Use a fake email address. The old “a.hitler@gmail” works every time.😀

• They have a sail on sampletank right now..

But its still no AUv3..
    I just don’t trust them, think we will see a whole new Sampletank 2 with AUv3 support soon..
    That would be typically IK

• Syntronik for iOS is pretty good now that they fixed the sample rate issue -- only took them 12 months.

AmpliTube iOS still has no volume pedal effect or selectable MIDI control for that function -- ridiculous, particularly when you consider some of the hardware they sell. I can't understand their AmpliTube IAP system either. It seems to be designed to promote double up purchasing.

• iGrand and iElectric are broken in iOS12 ... but only for new installations, they work fine if you had them before. for new installs, the apps fail to ask for microphone import after install, and then the apps freeze on start when they can‘t access the mic. super annoying.

• @Bachus said:
    They have a sail on sampletank right now..

But its still no AUv3..
    I just don’t trust them, think we will see a whole new Sampletank 2 with AUv3 support soon..
    That would be typically IK

that is quite unlikely unless they have a way for people to carry over their IAP to the new app

• @nick said:
    iGrand and iElectric are broken in iOS12 ... but only for new installations, they work fine if you had them before. for new installs, the apps fail to ask for microphone import after install, and then the apps freeze on start when they can‘t access the mic. super annoying.

Have you tried turning mic access on under Privacy in the Settings app?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, I went back on my better judgement and purchased Syntronik. I generally do not complain about apps, but IK gets my goat every time. Perfectly fine with the app. However, when I wanted to check the manual it informed me I had to register first. First bell going off. Why dat? I mean, I bought it did I not?

Ok, so I had registered with SampleTank... I tried to log in. Would not recognize my email. Second bell ringing. I emailed support and will see if I request a refund. Just letting you know if you expect to get the manual you must supply them with personal info and agree that they can use it promoting IK... otherwise, NO MANUAL! Never again.

If you can send me a PM, I can take a look at your ticket. If you opened the ticket on a weekend, this may be why you did not get a reply back just yet. The support team is usually pretty quick to get back. I can flag your case to help speed up the process.

As for registration unlocking the manual. Many companies out there follow a similar method, but thank you for anyone chiming in with feedback, I'll be more than happy to pass these comments along.

Logging in with your IK account will normally not only the manual, but also some bonus gear to get users started.

@CracklePot Glad to hear you enjoy the app.

@motmeister We do check this forum and we do hear you guys. We appreciate your continued support.

@Bachus Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate the interest in AUv3. I can confirm we are listening.

@Vaultnaemsae We appreciate your interest in SampleTank being offered as AUv3. Our team is aware of this request and looking into possibilities moving forward. As for AmpliTube and it's volume control. There are various controls to affect your levels in AmpliTube. Either using MIDI learn with a Volume control pre-amp or post-amp on a Stomp FX pedal or using the actual Amplifiers volume. Shoot me a PM and I can help make some more in-depth suggestions.

The latest developments can be found in the IK Multimedia news letter. Sign up here. Feel free to opt-out at any point. At the bottom of your news letters you will find the option to "Manage your subscription".

• edited September 2019

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@nick said:
    iGrand and iElectric are broken in iOS12 ... but only for new installations, they work fine if you had them before. for new installs, the apps fail to ask for microphone import after install, and then the apps freeze on start when they can‘t access the mic. super annoying.

Have you tried turning mic access on under Privacy in the Settings app?

yes, and that‘s the problem: the apps are not in the list because the ask-for-mic-access routine fails on first launch. So it never asks for mic access, and then freezes because of no mic access, and I wonder why a piano app needs mic access anyway. it‘s frustrating.

@Ryan_IK are you aware of this issue?

• @Ryan_IK said:
    I can take a look at your support ticket.

This is another way a company of IK Multimedia's size differs from someone like @Brambos.
    They have a support team and process. Folks here hate extra processes and try to get support through this forum by posting a complaint like the OP.

I have worked issues (mostly on hardware products) through IK Multimedia support and they work to closure.

So, IK Multimedia has a marketing department, a support department and all the attendant process that goes with that approach to scaling a profitable business.

You contrast that with a small outfit like @Virsym where the developer answer support emails (with mixed results).

It's worth noting that getting the manual was possible using this forum for support. So, we will continue to benefit from a group mind with a "multiple personality disorder".

IK Multimedia and @Michael at AudioBus pioneered the use of iPhones and iPads.

Here' how the AudioKit Kit position Micheal's role in IOS history:

Michael Tyson is one of the single most important people in the iOS Music world. He changed history.

Before Audiobus, music apps could not communicate with each other. Audiobus was the precursor to technologies such as Inter-app Audio (IAA) and AUv3 plug-ins.

Plus, musicians including Robert Plant (from legendary rock band, Led Zepplin) and Billy Joel have used his apps on national TV.

Michael also created The Amazing Audio Engine (TAAE). TAAE was a popular framework used to create audio apps. His work helped build countless music apps. In fact, Michael’s code is still used by AudioKit today, allowing the next generation of developers to add advanced music functionality to apps.

Equally important, he gave the community a voice and central hub to exchange ideas via the AudioKit Forum. The Audiobus forum is the largest and most active public forum of iOS musicians on the planet.

To contrast business models, this is where the development of AudioBus occurred in the first year:

The Marketing dept. was housed in the water closet, "many people are saying".

TL;DR: it's always about great developers making great apps. All the rest is just "client engagement" seeking to create "stickiness". Sticky can be icky or comforting.

• edited September 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    I applied to Apple for a refund @McD. I also emailed IK support. We shall see.

Bit ironic given...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/09/09/technology/apple-app-store-competition.html

Fox, hen house seems strangely apt

• @McD said:
    To contrast business models, this is where the development of AudioBus occurred in the first year:

The Marketing dept. was housed in the water closet, "many people are saying".

Ahh good times! Chilly times..

• Honestly I can’t say much bad about IK. Sure there are some frustrating things, but I have had issues seen through to completion, and in the end IK is what helped me get into iOS music, and ultimately this forum, in the first place.

• I've had nothing but frustration with IK as well. I could get into it, but I'll leave it at that. Registering, popups, spam.. I hate it. I got rid of the apps, and the blueboard sits collecting dust as the firmware updater does not work on any of my machines, and I never could get it operating to its full potential.

on the other hand.. I do love my micromonitors. but the name.. iloud? oof..

• We gotta get iLectric & iGrand to AU. Really the whole bunch from IK, they’ve aggravated us with pop ups and whatnot over the years, but they got great apps.

• Well, iTunes granted me a refund. To be fair. IK responded shortly after and arranged to clear up the registration snafu. But, on principle, unless forwarned that I won’t have access to the manual unless I pony up my date of birth, etc (sure, I can lie, but wtf?) I take umbrage with the policy. I mean, I think it’s in the US Constitution... the right to bear manuals... article whatchamacallit.

I think Syntronik would have been a great app for me. The sounds are great and I am a preset guy...especially combined with 0.99 Shaper. But there are plenty of synths in the sea and I have quite a few already.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, iTunes granted me a refund. To be fair. IK responded shortly after and arranged to clear up the registration snafu. But, on principle, unless forwarned that I won’t have access to the manual unless I pony up my date of birth, etc (sure, I can lie, but wtf?) I take umbrage with the policy. I mean, I think it’s in the US Constitution... the right to bear manuals... article whatchamacallit.

I think Syntronik would have been a great app for me. The sounds are great and I am a preset guy...especially combined with 0.99 Shaper. But there are plenty of synths in the sea and I have quite a few already.

Do you also refund apps that don't have manuals? If Syntronik did have one would you be using it now? I bought it and to be honest I haven't open it since I started getting serious about my guitar skills. I also signed up for a years worth on online piano training and got my drums back and played my first gig.

Pick your fights but keep fighting. It helps you feel like you have control over something in this every changing world. I think this one was really your loss since you love presets.
    Pick a classic synth and rifle through the presets.

Have you heard @kuhl's renderings of Bach and Elgar using the amazon Pure Synth?
    Maybe I'll render something with Syntronik and see if it freezes in Cubasis without issues.
    Stravinski is haunting my imagination... the best orchestrator ever.

• I have only gotten refunds three times @McD. IK twice and Mitosynth cause not AU. Your musical endeavors sound great. Keep it up.

• I’m sure that IK would like me to buy more from them, they send me enough emails to that effect. And yet Sampletank “IOS professional fully-featured blah blah” does not have AUv3. How can it be professional and fully featured when it does not work with Apple’s stated plugin standard? They have the ability to do it, so where is it? So I’m not buying anything more from IK until we get this.