Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT- Helpful Hints for Recording on iOS (what’s in your secret sauce? 🤫)

Ok, we’ve learned of the most helpful Barkfilter Jedi mastering tip...

What things have you learned by years of determined effort and the sweat of your brow that we can steal borrow and benefit from your wisdom? Anything relating to recording, especially on iOS. The weirder the better. What’s in your secret sauce? (It won’t leave this room! 😶)

I’ll go first with kind of an obvious one... if you aren’t getting any sound out of your DAW, before you throw your iPad out of a third-storey window, maybe make sure you didn’t accidentally turn all the outputs off while trying to get the mic working.

Comments

• My favourite trick is to to use FabFilter Pro-R with the blue curve to "tune" the reverb to the timbre of an instrument or vocal (I've mentioned this trick a few times before so it's not much of a secret). You can do something similar with the cheaper ToneBoosters reverb as well. It's magic on vocals IMO, really gives them a lift. You basically shape the reflections to emphasize the frequencies that flatter the vocal or instrument timbre. I use this technique in all my tracks (this is just the latest example):

Another plugin I really like to use is Klevgrand's ReAmp, because you can choose to use fewer harmonics in the saturation/distortion, and I find this gives much nicer and subtler results compared to other similar plugins. I actually prefer ReAmp to FabFilter's Saturn on most things for this reason, Saturn can make things too fizzy for my tastes, whereas with ReAmp you can add just a smidge of saturation to add some character and imperfection without the high end turning to fuzz.

• Super nice track man! Really like that song and your sound!

@richardyot said:
    My favourite trick is to to use FabFilter Pro-R with the blue curve to "tune" the reverb to the timbre of an instrument or vocal (I've mentioned this trick a few times before so it's not much of a secret). You can do something similar with the cheaper ToneBoosters reverb as well. It's magic on vocals IMO, really gives them a lift. You basically shape the reflections to emphasize the frequencies that flatter the vocal or instrument timbre. I use this technique in all my tracks (this is just the latest example):

Another plugin I really like to use is Klevgrand's ReAmp, because you can choose to use fewer harmonics in the saturation/distortion, and I find this gives much nicer and subtler results compared to other similar plugins. I actually prefer ReAmp to FabFilter's Saturn on most things for this reason, Saturn can make things too fizzy for my tastes, whereas with ReAmp you can add just a smidge of saturation to add some character and imperfection without the high end turning to fuzz.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Super nice track man! Really like that song and your sound!

@richardyot said:
    My favourite trick is to to use FabFilter Pro-R with the blue curve to "tune" the reverb to the timbre of an instrument or vocal (I've mentioned this trick a few times before so it's not much of a secret). You can do something similar with the cheaper ToneBoosters reverb as well. It's magic on vocals IMO, really gives them a lift. You basically shape the reflections to emphasize the frequencies that flatter the vocal or instrument timbre. I use this technique in all my tracks (this is just the latest example):

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

• @richardyot is there a video of you using this method?

• @mjcouche said:
    @richardyot is there a video of you using this method?

No, sorry, I've not had the time to record any videos recently.

• Amazing track @richardyot! Thanks for sharing it with us.