Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GAS Face Thread: "blue balls for a metal box with knobs......."

edited October 2019 in Market Place

Is this closest competitor we have seen in a while?
What do you think side by side?
What jumps out?
Similarities?
Differences?
Pros?
Cons?

Any word on Elektron pre Xmas launches?

Comments

• Having vested pretty heavy in the Elektron world the 707 is looking like a strong competitor. I watched some of the videos posted in the Roland thread and I was pretty impressed. Would like to see more reviews though. Also, the full manual. From what I can tell no song mode which is surprising. As far as side by side... hmm well it’s kind of like getting an Octatrack and system 1 in the same package. It’s almost a new beast in its own right.

• edited September 2019

A handful of things I thought about as i was watching the reviews of the 707 and wondering the same thing:
    What the 707 is missing:
    . Cannot perform per step Sample switching
    . Inability to create sliced samples to pads
    . No slicing whatsoever
    . No overdub for the Looper
    . Can’t play audio and midi tracks independently
    . Cannot create Multi-stack effects with Thru Tracks
    . No per track ARP functionality with Midi tracks
    . No CrossFader control
    . No Song Mode

Well that’s my list based on what i use the Octatrack MKII for in my workflow. If the 707 had the above I’d be selling the OT in a heart beat. I doubt we’ll see all of these added...but if it gets the following I’ll seriously consider it:
    . Song Mode
    . ARPS
    . Play audio and midi independently
    . Slice samples to pads

Hope this list helps sway the GAS Attack we might have felt 🤔🤪👊🏼™️

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    A handful of things I thought about as i was watching the reviews of the 707 and wondering the same thing:
    What the 707 is missing:
    . No slicing whatsoever
    . No CrossFader control
    . No Song Mode

Well that’s my list based on what i use the Octatrack MKII for in my workflow. If the 707 had the above I’d be selling the OT in a heart beat. I doubt we’ll see all of these added...but if it gets the following I’ll seriously consider it:
    . Song Mode
    . ARPS
    . Slice samples to pads

Nice list, I think the deal breaker for me would definitely be no sample flip. That is one of the essential Elektron functions that has become a must in my workflow.

• edited September 2019

Sample flip. That’s the feature i meant. 👊🏼™️

• Damn you guys made short work of that, good job

• @kobamoto said:
    Damn you guys made short work of that, good job

😂

It could all be in there still, but if their one page fold out manual is all there is to it then it’s a pretty shallow machine.

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    What the 707 is missing:
    . No slicing whatsoever
    . No CrossFader control
    . No Song Mode

. Song Mode
    . ARPS
    . Slice samples to pads

This post ought to be bookmarked or something.

I've tried to explain to the OP before what the OT was about but your post sums it up much more clearly than I could.

• There's a LOT the 707 has too though like a ton more synthesis options from many of rolands flagship synths, a lot of the guitar effects from their top guitar processors, dozens of high end reverbs and multi effects, easy to set up loop recording, the option to have each clip trigger completely new sounds and sequences PER TRACK, assignable knobs, way more filter types, user definable color coding, ability to reverse and ping pong clip playback, ability to edit sequencer data in the background, two midi outs, etc.

• @Tarekith said:
    There's a LOT the 707 has too though like a ton more synthesis options from many of rolands flagship synths, a lot of the guitar effects from their top guitar processors, dozens of high end reverbs and multi effects, easy to set up loop recording, the option to have each clip trigger completely new sounds and sequences PER TRACK, assignable knobs, way more filter types, user definable color coding, ability to reverse and ping pong clip playback, ability to edit sequencer data in the background, two midi outs, etc.

For a hobbyist with an OT there’s not enough there there for me to sell the OT and switch. Maybe as the device matures and gets some of those things i love from the OT, i will...but for now...the 707 doesn’t fit my needs...

Anyone know Rolands track record of big feature enhancements with their gear? Do they listen? My gut says they’ll just enable Song Mode and clean up some bugs. I don’t see them offering Sample flipping nor independent audio and midi sequencing on the 707...but i do hope I’m wrong.

I do hope it evolves though to make Elektron up their game a bit though 🤯👊🏼™️

• @echoopera said:

@Tarekith said:
    There's a LOT the 707 has too though like a ton more synthesis options from many of rolands flagship synths, a lot of the guitar effects from their top guitar processors, dozens of high end reverbs and multi effects, easy to set up loop recording, the option to have each clip trigger completely new sounds and sequences PER TRACK, assignable knobs, way more filter types, user definable color coding, ability to reverse and ping pong clip playback, ability to edit sequencer data in the background, two midi outs, etc.

For a hobbyist with an OT there’s not enough there there for me to sell the OT and switch. Maybe as the device matures and gets some of those things i love from the OT, i will...but for now...the 707 doesn’t fit my needs...

Anyone know Rolands track record of big feature enhancements with their gear? Do they listen? My gut says they’ll just enable Song Mode and clean up some bugs. I don’t see them offering Sample flipping nor independent audio and midi sequencing on the 707...but i do hope I’m wrong.

I do hope it evolves though to make Elektron up their game a bit though 🤯👊🏼™️

Agree, on all accounts. That said, at the price point and (pretty impressive to start) feature set with a synth built in they will sell by the truckloads I bet. Roland has the legs to push this to the front of the pile.

• edited September 2019

I wonder if Novation will ever get the SL MkIII into a groovebox format:

• doubt it, but they will tell you that that is exactly what all of their engineers want.

• Honestly I never once thought the OT and MC707 were really in the same category and were comparable anyway. Totally different devices with totally different purposes. I wouldn't really call the OT a groovebox the same way I wouldn't call the 707 a performance sampler.

• @Tarekith said:

Also, 64 voices total. Each track has no limitation on voices per track. I think Octatrack has 3 voice polyphony per track.

Sample flip is major missing feature for me. All about the flip.

• @Tarekith said:
    Honestly I never once thought the OT and MC707 were really in the same category and were comparable anyway. Totally different devices with totally different purposes. I wouldn't really call the OT a groovebox the same way I wouldn't call the 707 a performance sampler.

That's because you had an OT so you understand what it is, and isn't already. I know because I learned how to use my OT from your videos, as well as other resources.

The OP doesn't have that level of understanding, and I'm not sure if it's possible without actually having an OT in possession for a while. He's not the only one.

• edited September 2019

That's true, it's hard to grok the OT and what it is and isn't without using one for awhile.

Also @auxmux OT only has 1 voice poly per track, you trigger a new note it cuts off whatever is playing on that track. Voice count is actually one thing I'm a little worried about on the 707 actually, using any of the 4-pole filters uses more voices than the 2-pole filters I read, sort of like the newer electribes. Roland keeps pulling the manual online to make corrections to it, so I haven't been to confirm this myself yet. Sure hope mine gets here soon though!

(BTW, anyone want to buy my MC505?). :)

• edited September 2019

@Tarekith said:
    Honestly I never once thought the OT and MC707 were really in the same category and were comparable anyway. Totally different devices with totally different purposes. I wouldn't really call the OT a groovebox the same way I wouldn't call the 707 a performance sampler.

That’s a fair point. If I’m being honest, I’d love to get the 707, but honestly i want something like the 707 with some of the finer niceties of the OT. Basically my list above in a 707 sort of layout.

Hopefully some awesome dev on iOS will have that same vision 😉👊🏼™️

• @Tarekith said:
    That's true, it's hard to grok the OT and what it is and isn't without using one for awhile.

Also @auxmux OT only has 1 voice poly per track, you trigger a new note it cuts off whatever is playing on that track. Voice count is actually one thing I'm a little worried about on the 707 actually, using any of the 4-pole filters uses more voices than the 2-pole filters I read, sort of like the newer electribes. Roland keeps pulling the manual online to make corrections to it, so I haven't been to confirm this myself yet. Sure hope mine gets here soon though!

(BTW, anyone want to buy my MC505?). :)

I loved my 505, it’s really the reason I fell in love with “groovebox’s” in the first place. Also why I ended up with a Elektron collect them all wallet numbing addiction. I would love to see the 707 become something amazing, even if I don’t get one. Nostalgia has its place sometimes.

• I think ultimately the important thing to realize is that @RUST( i )K has the gear attention span of a puppy on four cups of strong coffee.

😅

• really all the octatrack needs is an updated and streamlined version of itself Imo , these Roland offerings are looking interesting but I think they are only moving Roland's needle, not much of the other devs out there

• @Tarekith said:
    I think ultimately the important thing to realize is that @RUST( i )K has the gear attention span of a puppy on four cups of strong coffee.

😅

haha at least it's one of the better addictions to have... of course this is the ab forum where scrolling through my list of hundreds of apps to find the 5 I'll use is a daily tribulation

• No idea why Octatrack isn't supported by Overbridge, the fact that you route all track audio over USB with MC707 is a big plus.

• They both can do pling-plong.

OT has oled. M7 has LCD.
    OT has clicky sound when operating. M7 is silent. That is a huge one when needed to progam in silence, like when next to sleeping partner in bed.
    M7 has many submenus when deeper editing of sound. OT can pretty much learned by muscle memory and without looking at the screen.
    Both screens are not angled so you have to look at them pretty much from the top.

TR-8, TR-8S, MC-707... they get bigger, better, more badass. I am sure there will be more until they get more sampler-workstation-like, similar to mv8800. Its like a rennaissance from the 90-2000 with its sampler iterations, a resurrance of evolution of grooveboxes.

The MC-101 looks so cute too. I cant decide yet which of them will get partnered up with my OT first.

• @kobamoto said:
    really all the octatrack needs is an updated and streamlined version of itself Imo , these Roland offerings are looking interesting but I think they are only moving Roland's needle, not much of the other devs out there

its the digitakt

• You sure OT is OLED? Doesn't look like it, that's surprising.

• @dreamrobe said:

@kobamoto said:
    really all the octatrack needs is an updated and streamlined version of itself Imo , these Roland offerings are looking interesting but I think they are only moving Roland's needle, not much of the other devs out there

its the digitakt

This is true.

• @Tarekith said:
    You sure OT is OLED? Doesn't look like it, that's surprising.

sry. mk1 is lcd, mk2 is oled

• imo the Digitakt only went a 3rd of the way, an octatrack that really updated itself would do so past the digitakt... it would be a digitakt with more memory, more storage, a better per project along with all samples used back up, and better I/o ... and way better sample editing features.

• @echoopera said:
    I wonder if Novation will ever get the SL MkIII into a groovebox format:

They could/should but probably not as @kobamoto pointed...

The formfactor isn’t so distant...

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    Anyone know Rolands track record of big feature enhancements with their gear? Do they listen?

Most Roland stuff gets quite a few new features in firmware updates. They're pretty good with that in my experience. Only downside is that those usually need to be accessed with some arcane button combinations (which I tend to forget unless I write them down :D )