Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM does it have a freeze function?

So hello,

I’m getting a nice workflow going with Xequence and AUM but I would like to know if there is a freeze function within AUM? If I drag the synth over so it’s not on the channel it still does not affect dsp. I know I could render the file to audio but not ready to do that yet. Am I missing something?

Thanks Chaz

Comments

• No freeze option, you really have to record files as audio which is a problem if you only want to manage CPU ressources: how do you play them with Xequence and other midi files? You’ll have to import audio files in an Daw like BeatMaker2 and use midi sync. Workflow killler I know!!

• @Janosax Could you just use AUM File Player? I know, same manual loading of recordings, but at least no other apps are needed.

• Yes. What I mean is instead of recording that part to the file recorder, I wish I could just pull aside or drag to the side of the channel the synth or effects and it would not engage the cpu.

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    @Janosax Could you just use AUM File Player? I know, same manual loading of recordings, but at least no other apps are needed.

AUM file player is great and I use it all the time. But there are three issues here:

• when using Xequence as a linear sequencer, with some song structure, perhaps you want to freeze that lead part between n32 n40 bars. Recording audio in AUM and loading it a file player will not help here as AUM don’t have true timeline. You can use file player offset, but it tends to be out of sync when you swipe inside AUM’s kind of timeline just above transports buttons.

• you always can use Xequence to trigger file players, but you will have some sync issues if you not use file player sync option. And then you will have some issue with file player sync quantum which leads you to make Xequence parts begin one bar before file players starts. Also sometimes file players will not play audio at all. I’ve asked dev about that and it seems it’s related to the fact file players stream audio from disk, not ram.

• all of this is workflow killer, if not even impossible to manage on big projects. I’ve tried hard to use AUM and Xequence as daw combo as I love those apps and that concept, but I’ve found it’s unfortunately a no go.

iOS is a challenge for big projects. I tend to use Blocswave and record all my Xequence/Gadget midi stuff inside it with Audiobus/AUM with some AU effects in the chain, it’s nice to manage cpu ressources too. Then I use Launchpad, Garageband, Ableton Live for song structure with audio parts, always possible to add things at this stage too. IOS workflow really needs to be thinked a lot depending on our musical/artistic needs!

• @Janosax said:

@CracklePot said:
    @Janosax Could you just use AUM File Player? I know, same manual loading of recordings, but at least no other apps are needed.

AUM file player is great and I use it all the time. But there are three issues here:

• when using Xequence as a linear sequencer, with some song structure, perhaps you want to freeze that lead part between n32 n40 bars. Recording audio in AUM and loading it a file player will not help here as AUM don’t have true timeline. You can use file player offset, but it tends to be out of sync when you swipe inside AUM’s kind of timeline just above transports buttons.

• you always can use Xequence to trigger file players, but you will have some sync issues if you not use file player sync option. And then you will have some issue with file player sync quantum which leads you to make Xequence parts begin one bar before file players starts. Also sometimes file players will not play audio at all. I’ve asked dev about that and it seems it’s related to the fact file players stream audio from disk, not ram.

• all of this is workflow killer, if not even impossible to manage on big projects. I’ve tried hard to use AUM and Xequence as daw combo as I love those apps and that concept, but I’ve found it’s unfortunately a no go.

iOS is a challenge for big projects. I tend to use Blocswave and record all my Xequence/Gadget midi stuff inside it with Audiobus/AUM with some AU effects in the chain, it’s nice to manage cpu ressources too. Then I use Launchpad, Garageband, Ableton Live for song structure with audio parts, always possible to add things at this stage too. IOS workflow really needs to be thinked a lot depending on our musical/artistic needs!

Very good explanation of the issues. Thanks for that. :)

I have a question about using Blocs. I have found that it does not start properly when using Link. As in, if I have a Link session running, and I hit play in Blocs so Blocs can join in, it comes in at a random point in the Blocs timeline, usually near the end of the loop, and not synced to the start of the Link loop cycle.

Do you also encounter this, and if so, how do you get around it? I really like Blocs, but this Link problem usually makes me close it and reach for something else.

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:

@Janosax said:

@CracklePot said:

Very good explanation of the issues. Thanks for that. :)

I have a question about using Blocs. I have found that it does not start properly when using Link. As in, if I have a Link session running, and I hit play in Blocs so Blocs can join in, it comes in at a random point in the Blocs timeline, usually near the end of the loop, and not synced to the start of the Link loop cycle.

Do you also encounter this, and if so, how do you get around it? I really like Blocs, but this Link problem usually makes me close it and reach for something else.

You’re welcome. About Blocs wave Link issue, I’ve found it with other apps like Figure. Blocs wave itself starts loop immediately but loop start usually with Link and syncs with other apps. If not, you can start again other apps. For example, if using Gadget together with BW, stop Gadget and start it again, it often helps. Also, you can use free Midi Link Sync utility app which helps to reset Link quantum, pretty useful. Or use Audiobus general play button which will have same function. It’s more of Link issue in fact, I suppose new Link version fix that behavior problem but all apps need to be updated by devs.
    Also, BW has an issue with loop start if you use it to record some loops with AB: you need to be sure you click on BW record when loop quantum starts again, or the loop will not start from 1st bar. You can check that by disable Link in BW: I loop don’t start from first bar, then the fix is to do a long press on the loop and choose « flatten », it will now starts as it should. Don’t forget to activate Link again after that.
    One nice feature in Blocs wave is sample « slip » which allow you to move/offset recorded loops to add correction to iOS/apps lack of software recording latency compensation in some situations like when using BW with AB. Even Ableton Live is much more complicated when you need to do some corrections when recording Reason though Rewire, moving clips markers is not as fast as BW slip feature.

• @janosax. Thank you so much for the very detailed instructions/explanations. I know it takes time and focus to write a thorough reply to some of these questions that get asked. I really appreciate your help. :) B)

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    @janosax. Thank you so much for the very detailed instructions/explanations. I know it takes time and focus to write a thorough reply to some of these questions that get asked. I really appreciate your help. :) B)

Glad to help you :smile: Blocswave looks like a toy but is really a very powerful tool when used with AB/AUM. It has some little issues but like almost all iOS apps. I think it’s important to find workarounds like that, I often write notes or do some video captures to remember all of them. iOS music making becomes often a brain game, but it gives ultimate mobility thanks to its devices form factor and low latency audio engine, this is invaluable IMO :smiley:

@Chaztrip: managing cpu ressources on iOS really leads to work with audio more than midi. Perhaps you can use AUM as an IAA input in any capable DAW host, and use Xequence only for temporary midi parts, and then record audio in the DAW host for doing your arrangement there with audio parts instead of Xequence with midi parts. This is often what I do with GarageBand, except this setup introduces often audio crackles with cpu intensive apps like Model D. This is why I often use Blocswave at this stage, and import audio parts in GarageBand at later stage, using it with AUM only for acoustic instrument recordings, thanks to AUM fx routing/chaining capabilities. On iPad you can go Cubasis route but it seems it has some issues with AU freezing. I don’t have myself found my perfect iOS workflow yet, even if I’m close to.

• Hi @Janosax was wondering if you’d got any further with this since this thread?

• edited September 2019

Hi @gregsmith I still use mostly same workflow, rendering everything as audio at some stage. That can be using GarageBand, Blocswave, Loopy, AUM, GTL to record all parts as audio. I use a lot GB using merge feature or routing inside it sounds from Audiobus (allow for Rozeta and all kind of synced LFO stuff with AB midi sync). Enso is also a really cool new tool to freeze/export parts. I’ve also replaced Xequence by Atom and Gadget Taipei for midi stuff in AU hosts. I have in fact same kind of workflow in Ableton Live on my T440p/i7 laptop, except that freezing is far more easier/fast and reversible, but also less often needed. My 7 Plus is frozen on iOS 12.3.1 because of that workflow, will see if iOS 13 really fixes AB output slots issues.

• @Janosax said:
    Hi @gregsmith I still use mostly same workflow, rendering everything as audio at some stage. That can be using GarageBand, Blocswave, Loopy, AUM, GTL to record all parts as audio. I use a lot GB using merge feature or routing inside it sounds from Audiobus (allow for Rozeta and all kind of synced LFO stuff with AB midi sync). Enso is also a really cool new tool to freeze/export parts. I’ve also replaced Xequence by Atom and Gadget Taipei for midi stuff in AU hosts. I have in fact same kind of workflow in Ableton Live on my T440p/i7 laptop, except that freezing is far more easier/fast and reversible, but also less often needed. My 7 Plus is frozen on iOS 12.3.1 because of that workflow, will see if iOS 13 really fixes AB output slots issues.

Thanks for the details. I’ll try these things out.

• AUM got an update that supports loading a single channel from a saved project. So, saving a project creates a "frozen" configuration of a channel that deleted now and recovered into the project later. This allows for better CPU resource management in complex apps. Not sure if there are any issues related to apps settings, etc. But someone might be able to clarify how the update figures into the original question.

At this point I have hundreds of AUM files and didn't use great "naming" procedures to remember what each project was made to do.

An AUM feature to add project NOTES that could be viewed from the files menu would be a nice addition to the product workflow.

• edited September 2019

@McD said:
    AUM got an update that supports loading a single channel from a saved project. So, saving a project creates a "frozen" configuration of a channel that deleted now and recovered into the project later. This allows for better CPU resource management in complex apps. Not sure if there are any issues related to apps settings, etc. But someone might be able to clarify how the update figures into the original question.

At this point I have hundreds of AUM files and didn't use great "naming" procedures to remember what each project was made to do.

An AUM feature to add project NOTES that could be viewed from the files menu would be a nice addition to the product workflow.

Yep this makes a difference definitely. Audiobus needs this feature too!

@wim was saying that you can add in an entire preset to the current session in AB, so I guess you can delete all channels apart from the one you want to freeze, then save it as a preset, then you can add that preset in if needs be.

Good to know there’s new workarounds. It’d be great if you could unload an au and load it again with the same settings in AB and AUM

• edited September 2019

Yes it’s also possible to make intermediate presets saving in Audiobus, then you can add them later to an existing preset using add button (midi learnable too). The very desired feature is now presets folders, which will come in a future update as @Michael has already said. I forgot to mention that apeMatrix AU sampler can work in AB like AUM’s file player, this allows to play rendered audio. Same with Enso, faster to use but not as as stable with multiple instances. The idea behind all of this is really to build all the sound material for later arrangement in a DAW if needed. This is where Blocswave helps a lot with stems organisation (with Ableton Live Set export which can be also unzipped from AudioShare and then copied/pasted in any DAW folder like GarageBand File Transfer via Files app).

• edited September 2019

@Janosax said:
    Yes it’s also possible to make intermediate presets saving in Audiobus, then you can add them later to an existing preset using add button (midi learnable too). The very desired feature is now presets folders, which will come in a future update as @Michael has already said. I forgot to mention that apeMatrix AU sampler can work in AB like AUM’s file player, this allows to play rendered audio. Same with Enso, faster to use but not as as stable with multiple instances. The idea behind all of this is really to build all the sound material for later arrangement in a DAW if needed. This is where Blocswave helps a lot with stems organisation (with Ableton Live Set export which can be also unzipped from AudioShare and then copy/pasted in any DAW folder like GarageBand File Transfer via Files app).

Yes presets folders would help massively!

I’m trying to remain ‘dawless’ so would rather do all my arrangement with Xequence 2 and end up exporting the final master from AUM. That’s the plan anyway - whether I’ll manage I’m not sure!

• Yup, it's coming!

• @Michael said:
    Yup, it's coming!

Excellent! Would be great if you could see the date next to a preset as well - saves version numbers and all that ;)

• edited September 2019

@gregsmith said:

@Michael said:
    Yup, it's coming!

Excellent! Would be great if you could see the date next to a preset as well - saves version numbers and all that ;)

+1 This could be a little « i » button for all preset info.

• Sure thing

• @McD said:

There already is. Did you try the "NOTES" button in the main menu? :)

• @j_liljedahl said:
    There already is. Did you try the "NOTES" button in the main menu? :)

Thanks for the heads up... this has happened a few times with me and AUM features.
    I'm glad to know I can do this.