Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify GrooveBox Creations Thread

Comments

• edited September 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    @SpookyZoo
    What a great vibe, and I'm so happy to hear such bright sounds coming out of Groovebox.
    @echoopera I love that piece. Are you loading the loops from Ableton export into the AUM file player? That's quite clever.

Thanks. No I'm just creating the loops in GrooveBox and directly recording the loop into AUM. It allows me to have a more organic 'build' process and can stay in the zone longer :)

It also allows me to go beyond the 8 track limitation of GrooveBox. Just loading it into AUM as an interApp Audio channel.

• Fascinated by your protean processes!

So these loops: are they the full drum/bass/lead/pad complement? Or do you play and record the drums first, then solo the bass, etc....

I also like the VERY precise tempo you've got there.....

• edited September 2019

I record my loops into GrooveBox, and then Solo the tracks and record the loops into AUM.

After I fill it up to a sensible bunch, I then add on top based on what feels and sounds right...It's a bit of an old school process, but I'm kind of digging it, because it's forcing me to listen a little differently than I am accustomed to. It's like I'm jamming with myself :)

AUM is my loop catcher and fx powerhouse :)
    https://media.giphy.com/media/gkX8b3el98hyrXyciE/giphy.gif

• I love it.
    But...this won't make me go schizo, will it?

• edited September 2019

Hahaha. Nah...but it is letting me do crazy stuff like this:

Think of it as playing your parts into the 4 track recorder. The way a session musician does. They play their part and the studio engineer records in their part, and the producer puts it all together.

You might become obsessive about it though 🤪

• @echoopera said:

Think of it as playing your parts into the 4 track recorder. The way a session musician does. They play their part and the studio engineer records in their part, and the producer puts it all together.

This is the sound of that gif!

• I love your style! It’s sort of how I used to do my recordings when I had my Tascam 688 cassette recorder! One track at a time🤪🎸🎹😳

But I got a lot more recordings done! It seems that’s why you put out so much! Makes sense! While I’m worrying about settings, midi here midi there , nothing is getting recorded🤓😲

Mmmmmm... you might be into something brother....IOS revolution ☝️😂😂❤️🤯🐶

@echoopera said:

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

This is the sound of that gif!

Hahaha. You are right!🤪

• edited September 2019

@Tones4Christ

True. Some times the traditional ways are the right ways. 🙏🏼💕

Definitely more focused this way.

• edited September 2019

Tried something different today. Used the OP-Z to sequence GrooveBox. Arps Galore in this one...not sure what to think of the track...but hey, you learn something new every time you lay down patterns ya know :)

As far as Process, I just sequenced things in 1 at a time and recorded them per channel. I didn't have the OP-Z driving all 8 tracks at the same time...just sequenced and then recorded the patterns in GB. I did this because I wanted to use multiple Arps on the instruments in GB, and the OP-Z only offers 1 Arp channel.

It was a "slowish" process, but kind of fun and seriously allowed me to focus on things.

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    Tried something different today. Used the OP-Z to sequence GrooveBox. Arps Galore in this one...not sure what to think of the track...but hey, you learn something new every time you lay down patterns ya know :)

As far as Process, I just sequenced things in 1 at a time and recorded them per channel. I didn't have the OP-Z driving all 8 tracks at the same time...just sequenced and then recorded the patterns in GB. I did this because I wanted to use multiple Arps on the instruments in GB, and the OP-Z only offers 1 Arp channel.

It was a "slowish" process, but kind of fun and seriously allowed me to focus on things.

You can tell you're boxing with one hand tied behind your back (there's a couple of uncharacteristically awkward transitions). But the limitations seem to have inspired a really cool vibe that probably wouldn't have come out otherwise.

(Does it go without saying that it’s great?)

• Yeah. Not my best work but i did learn a thing or two during the process.

• @echoopera , big thanks for sharing your love of Groovebox. I've been in the hunt for a long time for an app that allows quick and fun sketching while not at a computer. This thread totally inspired me. I've had GB for a while, but never pressed on with it. Here's the end result:

Here's the workflow...

*Sketched a tune on the iphone with 5 scenes using the free version of GB. I'll likely be buying the "Pro" upgrade. @echoopera you should be getting a commission. :)

*Exported an Ableton project

*Imported the loops from the Ableton project into Launchpad and mangled some using Launchpad effects

*Imported mangled loops + original Ableton export into Ableton. Arranging and much hand audio editing ensued.

*Very light mixing and mastering

All sounds are from Groovebox

• edited September 2019

@ecamburn said:
    @echoopera , big thanks for sharing your love of Groovebox. I've been in the hunt for a long time for an app that allows quick and fun sketching while not at a computer. This thread totally inspired me. I've had GB for a while, but never pressed on with it. Here's the end result:

Here's the workflow...

*Sketched a tune on the iphone with 5 scenes using the free version of GB. I'll likely be buying the "Pro" upgrade. @echoopera you should be getting a commission. :)

*Exported an Ableton project

*Imported the loops from the Ableton project into Launchpad and mangled some using Launchpad effects

*Imported mangled loops + original Ableton export into Ableton. Arranging and much hand audio editing ensued.

*Very light mixing and mastering

All sounds are from Groovebox

Nice. Totally love this piece. Yeah GB is a very sweet app once you understand it’s intended workflow. I think too often we try and bend apps to our will...when the best solution is to bend to the apps will and do the best you can with it.

Keep sharing. Digging the style 👊🏼™️

FWIW, the LaunchKey 25 has been a great investment for this new relationship i have with GrooveBox. Makes composing a delight and happy accidents occur all the time. If you’ve been on the fence about one of these, come on over. It’s a great setup with the app on iOS and with Ableton on the desktop.

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    Here are some of my unmastered Stems from the GrooveBox sessions:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt6mz2tfn5u0u0p/GrooveBox Samples.zip?dl=0

pretty inspirative pack :-) has this any name ? looks like i've made remix of that :-) a bit speeded it up (to 120 bpm) and added some jazzy beat and ep melody ... will upload it tomorrow after i fine tune some details ;)
    Of course if you agree :-)

• edited September 2019

Awesome...looking forward to it. Call the track whatever you want, and just add my name: echo opera in ( ) at the end of the track name you chose.

So much fun. OI’ve never been remixed 👊🏼™️🤪

• edited September 2019

Awesome...looking forward to it. Call the track whatever you want, and just add my name: echo opera in ( ) at the end of the track name you chose.

Ok agreed :-) Will post it as separate thread including link to your original sample pack, so we both get more attention :lol:

• Sounds good 👊🏼™️

• Having a little mellow time tonight noodling around on a simple 4 bar loop:

Man, if only we could record automation to the timeline...oh well...at least it was captured in the vid 👊🏼™️

Thanks as always for watching and commenting🙏🏼💕

• That's crazy. I recently got back to using Groovebox, LaunchPad, and Blocs wave this September and I didn't know about this thread.

• edited October 2019

That trinity has been my main workflow lately here @Samflash3

Got the new Launchkey mini and it’s an excellent controller for Groovebox, can lose myself for hours with that arpeggiator

• @echoopera said:
    Well...I've had the app for ever and had just been noodling on it from time to time, but this week I decided to go deep on the app and it's sibling BlocsWave.

I was always impressed with the app, and after I spent a few hours with it and the Novation Launchkey mini plugged in to it, I realized the magic it possesses. Sure, we don't have automation and a sensible song mode...but who cares. THE SOUNDS!!!

I love the sound of the drums, pads, leads, bass and wavetables...it feels so good deep down in my soul.

Anyhoo, I thought with the recent update of state saving, it made sense to give the app some more attention and exposure on this forum.

So with that, I open the thread to one and all to share their musical GrooveBox musings, and maybe a little break down of how you made the piece.

Here's my first post for the thread...with more to follow...well, at least until the next shiny shiny shows up on our shores. :)

BTW thanks to @jolico for the Bark thread...helped bring this track out of the dark 👊🏼™️

Harmonic Error
    Apps used:
    GrooveBox for all the main musical bits
    BlocsWave for some background pads and light drums
    AUM to record everything
    Aparillo for some additional layering of Pads and gritty glitch bits

Track:

Many blessings to all!
    echo opera

LOVE THAT LAYOUT VISUALLY! So cool

• @echoopera

Man, if only we could record automation to the timeline...

+1. Or just recording knob movements would be cool.

• Another awesome track! ❤️👍🏼☝️

@echoopera said:

Having a little mellow time tonight noodling around on a simple 4 bar loop:

Man, if only we could record automation to the timeline...oh well...at least it was captured in the vid 👊🏼™️

Thanks as always for watching and commenting🙏🏼💕

@RUST( i )K said:

@echoopera said:
    Well...I've had the app for ever and had just been noodling on it from time to time, but this week I decided to go deep on the app and it's sibling BlocsWave.

I was always impressed with the app, and after I spent a few hours with it and the Novation Launchkey mini plugged in to it, I realized the magic it possesses. Sure, we don't have automation and a sensible song mode...but who cares. THE SOUNDS!!!

I love the sound of the drums, pads, leads, bass and wavetables...it feels so good deep down in my soul.

Anyhoo, I thought with the recent update of state saving, it made sense to give the app some more attention and exposure on this forum.

So with that, I open the thread to one and all to share their musical GrooveBox musings, and maybe a little break down of how you made the piece.

Here's my first post for the thread...with more to follow...well, at least until the next shiny shiny shows up on our shores. :)

BTW thanks to @jolico for the Bark thread...helped bring this track out of the dark 👊🏼™️

Harmonic Error
    Apps used:
    GrooveBox for all the main musical bits
    BlocsWave for some background pads and light drums
    AUM to record everything
    Aparillo for some additional layering of Pads and gritty glitch bits

Track:

Many blessings to all!
    echo opera

LOVE THAT LAYOUT VISUALLY! So cool

• Groovebox And GTL . Yes

• Something a bit more upbeat here:

• Some great tips here on workarounds to using the Ampify apps together.

BlocsWave to LaunchPad app is so smooth it would be great to have that for Groovebox too eventually.

• Had some time at lunch today to perform a little in GrooveBox and guess what?

I did 👊🏼™️💕 just that 😬

• @echoopera said:
    Had some time at lunch today to perform a little in GrooveBox and guess what?

I did 👊🏼™️💕 just that 😬

Outstanding stuff and very inspiring!

More, please!

• edited January 2020

Just starting to use Blocs Wave and Groovebox with the Pro features just bought: I find them pretty interesting and fun to use for loops.

I haven't a physical Launchpad and cannot think if using the Launchpad App too (that I have not at this time in the Pro feature) could be mostly useful.

What do you think? Could be worth purchasing the Pro feature for LP? It's dfficult for me to understand what this could improve my looping stuff. I was thinking yo use DAW like BM3 and/or Cubasis2.
    Thanks a lot

Edit: I have Roli Blocks Lightpad M; any of you is using it with Ampify Apps?
    Edit 2: Nevermind my question, it was solved buying LP Pro feat. too: it's interesting indeed working together with BW