Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ASM Hydrasynth

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-key

Also available in a desktop model

Goodness the lust flows thru me for this

Comments

• Yeah. Poly AT plus ribbon...

• They did it the right way. No fanfare, no teaser "leaks". They just dropped a finished product, with videos and reviews on the same day. Bravo!

• Wow, that is beefy sounding. Would have guessed there were analog filters by the sound. But I believe it is all digital. Not quite Serum-in-a-box, but close enough for me. Verrrry interesting!

• For a modern synth with wavetable support. An SD card for uploading wavetable would've made sense. Also, I'm not convinced of editing settings on a tiny screen, but I'm used to 9.7 inches of real estate.

• It has a Random button. I love it! Lol

• I like their logo, they should sell T-shirts

• This synth will probably not sell too well, its main target audience is plugin users, and as stated earlier, not quite Serum , I really hope I'm wrong though.

• edited September 2019

@Turntablist said:
    This synth will probably not sell too well, its main target audience is plugin users, and as stated earlier, not quite Serum , I really hope I'm wrong though.

I'm not a plugin user however I ordered it. Plugin users are used to paying much lower prices than hardware users, I personally don't see how a plugin user is going to pay triple or quadruple the price of a plugin for a piece of hardware unless they want to make this their first leap into hardware away from software.
    Its generating a lot of chatter and lust on Gearsluts, perhaps based on that it could sell pretty well. The price is very competitive when compared to other hardware synths, but not when compared to a soft synth.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    $?

That’s the very bestest part! It’s free! Just send in 5 box tops of Cap’n Crunch cereal. Plus $50 for shipping. Not valid in Utah and Vermont. 🤓

• edited September 2019

@Littlewoodg said:
    $?

US$1299 for the keyboard and $799 for the desktop
    (Some synth news sites such as gearnews are saying $1599 and $999, but that's not the price its actually being sold for on places such as Sweetwater.)

$799 for a hardware synth as fully featured as this is pretty awesome, for a couple of comparisons a Novation Peak desktop is $1300 or so, the forthcoming Kyra desktop is going to be ~$2200)

• edited September 2019

Oh wait... my mistake. 🙃 From Synthtopia:

Hydrasynth is expected to come out November and cost $1299 for the keyboard and $799 for the desktop version. Details are available at the ASM site.

From ASM site:

8 Voice Advanced Wavetable synthesis

2 Wavemorphing Oscillators
    219 single cycle waveforms
    User wavetables - 8 user selectable ‘wavelist’ per osc to build user wavetables
    Every osc and patch can have its own user wavetable
    WaveScan parameter for modulating through wavetables.
    Keytracking – 0-200%
    +/- 3 octave tuning range
    1 fixed Wave OSC
    219 single cycle waveforms
    +/- 3 octave tuning range
    Keytracking – 0-200%
    Dual Mutators per oscillator
    FM – Linear FM
    Selectable Modulator source
    Built in Sine & Triangle, OSC1, OSC2, OSC3, Mutators A, B, C, D, Noise gen, Ring Mod, External Mod 1&2 input.
    WaveStack – Generates 5 detuned waves from input source. Detune amount.
    Pulse Width Mod – Adjust pulse width of ALL waveforms.
    PWSqueeze – Compresses the center section of the waveform. Differnnt type of PWM
    PW-ASM – 8 User adjustable wave squeeze/stretch points.
    Hard Sync – gives that classic sync sweep sound.
    Selectable Sync input source.
    Harmonic Sweep – will scan through the harmonics of the incoming sound.
    Dry/Wet mix to blend the original OSC source.
    Noise Generator
    White, Pink, Brown noise sources
    Ring modulator
    Selectable input sources
    OSC1, OSC2, OSC3, Noise, All Mutator outputs, External Mod ½ in.
    Depth control
    Sound source mixer
    Mix the following sources - OSC1, OSC2, OSC3, Noise, and Ring Mod.
    Panning for each source
    Filter routing mix
    Solos for each source (solo status is saved in the patch)
    Two Filters
    Series or parallel routing
    Filter 1
    12 & 24db modern ladder (compensated)
    12 & 24db vintage ladder (uncompensated)
    Threeler HP, LP
    MS20 HP, LP
    Low Pass Gate
    Vocal filter
    Multiple vowel order parameter
    Formant parameter
    Filter 2
    Continuously Variable Lowpass-Band pass-High pass (Oberheim SEM style)

• Be sure to watch the Sweetwater vids. Great stuff:

• 8 voice monotimbral digital, no thanks. Maybe for $500 but I paid less for my Blofeld which 25 voices and 16 parts.

• After all those wonderful specs, the common complaint on GS is 49 key monotimbral vs 61key poly.

• @auxmux said:
    8 voice monotimbral digital, no thanks. Maybe for $500 but I paid less for my Blofeld which 25 voices and 16 parts.

Yes, 8 voices for $1300 seems just a little stingy for digital, even of a high quality. Since they seemed to cram all sorts of wonderful features, I have a feeling that if they could, they would have added more voices if not breaking the price point. Sounds amazing. I might wait for a possible bi-timbral model. (Not that I have the $ for either, lol)

• If the Peak had user wavetables, would be all about that.

• I would think that there has to be other models down the road.

@haulin_notes said:

@auxmux said:
    8 voice monotimbral digital, no thanks. Maybe for $500 but I paid less for my Blofeld which 25 voices and 16 parts.

Yes, 8 voices for $1300 seems just a little stingy for digital, even of a high quality. Since they seemed to cram all sorts of wonderful features, I have a feeling that if they could, they would have added more voices if not breaking the price point. Sounds amazing. I might wait for a possible bi-timbral model. (Not that I have the $ for either, lol)

• edited September 2019

I think more choices of synths is better than less.

About $1000 does indeed get you the Blofeld Keyboard with 25 voices and whatever, and it's cheaper than Hydrasynth keyboard. But no polyphonic aftertouch, no CV jacks, etc.

Peak/Summit has more knobs but costs more, and no poly AT.

This forum may not show it, but on other forums it seems like people are willing to get only 8 voices and monotimbral in exchange for the poly aftertouch, CV I/O, 5 multi-waveform LFOs, 5 6-stage envelope generators and whatever else is part of the ASM.

Choice.... great to have! Choose your tool and make music!

• The hydrasynth can morph 8 waveforms at once, so to those who are comparing it to serum...it’s beyond serum’s 2
    Blofeld doesn’t compete with hydrasynth.

• Poly aftertouch and that ribbon controller really add a lot of performance control to this - plus it sounds amazing.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    The hydrasynth can morph 8 waveforms at once, so to those who are comparing it to serum...it’s beyond serum’s 2
    Blofeld doesn’t compete with hydrasynth.

But isn't a wavetable just a series of waveforms, so when you morph through a blofled or serum wavetable how is that different in principle from morphing through Hydrasynth's 8 waveforms? Indeed don't blofeld/serum/many other's wavetables effectively have actually many many more waveforms per wavetable.
    The difference with the Hydrasynth is as you can mix and match the waveforms you are creating your own wavetables, but you can load your own wavetables anyway on Blofeld/serum.

I'm just not seeing how morphing through 8 waveforms is different through traversing through a wavetable.

BTW spoiled for new wavetable hardware synths this week

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/09/argon8-is-a-powerful-8-voice-wavetable-synthesizer-for-under-1000.html?fbclid=IwAR2lDaewy-yvI9Pc6o7n6vSrkBSn2hmt-1qVx_dYu-S55LZ3UizZzeF6nks

• edited September 2019

Argon8 looks nice and might be a better fit for some. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.

Hydrasynth's poly aftertouch on both keyboard and desktop is a draw for me. And yes, the sound too.

• Wish Argon8 was keyboardless

• @auxmux said:
    Wish Argon8 was keyboardless

Me too it looks great, I ordered the Hydrasynth desktop but really liking the sound of the Argon8 (though not much to go on so far in the video), it seems less digitally harsh than the Hydra, smoother.

• @gusgranite said:
    It has a Random button. I love it! Lol

^^

• does the hydra synth not have MPE?

• edited September 2019

Specs are here. If something ain't there, it ain't there.

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-key

• that's a shame, they put so much work into it it's hard to believe they wouldn't include it, maybe it's coming in the future... I think the desktop version is going to find a nice home with me eventually.

• Yeah, I feel like all digital synths should support MPE at this point and be multi-timbral.