Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Do You Use the Shortcut App for Music Production or Audio Related Tasks?

edited September 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

How do you use the shortcut app to make music production on iOS faster, smoother, and/or easier? Just a few suggestions would be nice for those of us (or maybe it’s only me) who aren’t finding it very useful.

edit: I updated the title of this thread because I thought the original might be mistakenly interpreted as: “hey, check out this new “music tasks shortcut app”

Comments

• What is Shortcut app ?

• @dendy said:
    What is Shortcut app ?

Apple Shortcuts, shipped with iOS12...
    https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/welcome/ios

• Convert audio formats.
    Download audio from YouTube.
    Check length of a group of audio files to see if they'll fit on a tape.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Start up a batch of IAA apps then launch a host. Starting up the apps first can increase the odds of them instantiating properly in the host.

Shrink screenshots and annotate / crop them before posting them on the forum. (Saves storage space on the server).

Rip audio from video files. (Haven’t tried this one, but see the function available there)

Convert audio from one format to another quickly. (Again, haven’t tried.)

I don’t find myself doing regularly repetitive tasks regularly enough to make scripting anything worthwhile. The shrinking screenshots is the only script I use.

• I see I should have been paying closer attention. I didn’t realize it could do much more than launch apps.

Thank you for the ideas so far.

• edited September 2019

oo had no idea there is such tool.. :+1: it's like simplified version of "Automator" from MacOS

• edited September 2019

@mistercharlie said:

wait,what?TAPE?😁👍

• @Crabman said:

@mistercharlie said:

wait,what?TAPE?😁👍

:)

• @dendy said:
    oo had no idea there is such tool.. :+1: it's like simplified version of "Automator" from MacOS

It's more advanced than Automator in most ways. I love it and use it daily.

• Does it require Siri to be active?
    I hate Siri, so I hope not.

Also, the AppStore history goes back 3 years for this app. How could it remain a secret for so long?

• edited September 2019

@mistercharlie said:

@dendy said:

It's more advanced than Automator in most ways. I love it and use it daily.

checked it briefly - it has approx 5% of Automator features :)) But that's ok, for iOS it's pretty capable tool.. Funny i didn't know about that yet, Automator one of my most favourite OSX/MacOs S build in tools

• @CracklePot said:
    Does it require Siri to be active?

I don’t think so. I do have Siri enabled, but never use it with the Shortcuts app.
    It might pop up annoying “helpful” messages suggesting to enable Siri. It did that with suggesting enabling calendar access for awhile for me - then went away.

• edited September 2019

@CracklePot said:
    Does it require Siri to be active?

Also, the AppStore history goes back 3 years for this app. How could it remain a secret for so long?

It is formerly the Workflow app acquired by Apple, integrated into iOS 12 as Shortcuts and Applified :smile:
    Workflow app is like the batch (BAT) files in MS-DOS that can execute a set of instructions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=workflow+app+ios

• It helps you send GarageBand files to collaborate because you can’t sent the .band files as an iMessage or email. Shortcuts can zip them.

I made a shortcut to turn on/off bluetooth, because you know iOS 11 or 12 took that away from the control center where it disconnected bluetooth rather than turn it off. I use bluetooth MIDI sometimes so this affects music making.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@DMan said:
    It helps you send GarageBand files to collaborate because you can’t sent the .band files as an iMessage or email. Shortcuts can zip them.

I made a shortcut to turn on/off bluetooth, because you know iOS 11 or 12 took that away from the control center where it disconnected bluetooth rather than turn it off. I use bluetooth MIDI sometimes so this affects music making.

If you turn on airplane mode, then switch wifi (and cell signal if applicable) back on, Bluetooth will stay disabled until you turn it back on, but wifi/phone will still be up.

• @wim said:

@DMan said:
    It helps you send GarageBand files to collaborate because you can’t sent the .band files as an iMessage or email. Shortcuts can zip them.

If you turn on airplane mode, then switch wifi (and cell signal if applicable) back on, Bluetooth will stay disabled until you turn it back on, but wifi/phone will still be up.

I prefer being able to turn on airplane mode and have it turn everything off without thinking about anything, rather than to remember if I left WiFi on or not. I think I prefer it my way, but thanks for the an alternate way.