Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @Satie thank you for the help - I understand now!

• @DMan said:
    I’ve really been enjoying Aphelian quite a bit. It’s a great way to make some music without using a keyboard. I’m hoping we can get some more beats per bar on the drums though to do some time signatures other than 5/4, etc. I’ve been getting some bad crashes last night. It seems to happen when trying to paint in a long note and happens more often while the sequencer is running. I was using MIDI Out during these crashes.

Here is a quick track I did with Aphelian sequencing some Volcas.

Lovely track. This app is calling me ... i believe.

• @Satie said:

@JuanB said:

@cuscolima said:
    Sure. In AUM you can see the list of the available parameters (midi ctrl -> chan2 -> parameters)
    Then just do a midi learn on the parameter you want to automatize and that’s it. Note the CC2 on chanel 1

Thanks for the explanation!
    One more thing: you can use the THEACH in Aphelian to stop the others CC from the same channel, enabling an effective use of the "LEARN" of the outer synth (in other words, it works like a SOLO in a mixer). If you send many CC at the same time, the remote synth couldn't know what CC it should "LEARN".

I didn‘t get this. Where can I use the TEACH functionality in Aphelian?

Did you even get this sorted?

Here is where the ‘Teach’ function is...
    1. Select an Orbit.
    2. Select the waveform button.
    3. Select the Midi tab.
    4. Add a controller if you have none.
    5. Here is the Teach button.

• I'm still loving aphelian a lot!
    Just used it last night to drive sounds into enso!

• @CracklePot said:

@Satie said:

@JuanB said:

@cuscolima said:
    Sure. In AUM you can see the list of the available parameters (midi ctrl -> chan2 -> parameters)
    Then just do a midi learn on the parameter you want to automatize and that’s it. Note the CC2 on chanel 1

Thanks for the explanation!
    One more thing: you can use the THEACH in Aphelian to stop the others CC from the same channel, enabling an effective use of the "LEARN" of the outer synth (in other words, it works like a SOLO in a mixer). If you send many CC at the same time, the remote synth couldn't know what CC it should "LEARN".

I didn‘t get this. Where can I use the TEACH functionality in Aphelian?

Did you even get this sorted?

Here is where the ‘Teach’ function is...
    1. Select an Orbit.
    2. Select the waveform button.
    3. Select the Midi tab.
    4. Add a controller if you have none.
    5. Here is the Teach button.

Thanks a lot - that helped!!

• @reasOne said:
    I'm still loving aphelian a lot!
    Just used it last night to drive sounds into enso!

Hmmm. That might just be a thing.
    I’m going to try, but anyone know for sure if there’s a way to hit record in both Photon and Enzo at the same time?

• Looks like the team are working on making Aphelian AU cool beans !

https://www.facebook.com/468051703690472/posts/655185441643763?sfns=mo

• Is the $11.99 regular or is app on special price?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Is the $11.99 regular or is app on special price?

I think that is the regular price.

• Thanks!

@CracklePot said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Is the $11.99 regular or is app on special price?

I think that is the regular price.

• It's a great price for all Aphellian does. :)

Can't wait for the AU!!!

• @wim I wonder if there would be a possibility to create a Mosaic script that sees the incoming midi from Aphelian and slows you to change it to what ever chord you want and have it latch at that chord until you select a new chord. That would be so cool! Cause one of the main reasons I stopped Playing Oscilab was because I couldn’t transpose anything to make a real song with chord changes or progressions.

Is this some kind of possibility for Aphelian use with Mosaic?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    @wim I wonder if there would be a possibility to create a Mosaic script that sees the incoming midi from Aphelian and slows you to change it to what ever chord you want and have it latch at that chord until you select a new chord. That would be so cool! Cause one of the main reasons I stopped Playing Oscilab was because I couldn’t transpose anything to make a real song with chord changes or progressions.

I’m sure it’s possible, but don’t understand enough about what you’re trying to do from your description to say. I’m also not too up on how to use Aphelian. Sure is a cool app, but I haven’t spent enough time with it.

• You can set up Song Mode in Aphelian, and it will follow the chord changes and durations you pre-program into the Song Mode page. Check out some of the demo files to see how they are set up.

But if you want to change chords in performance, I don’t think Aphelian has any Midi in to trigger the internal pattern changing, so you would need a Midi processor plugin to transpose the Midi output from Aphelian to the chord you want, when you want.

Are you looking to stay in a certain key or change to any chord you want?

• Yeah I don’t have it yet either. But yeah I wanna stay in the same key. Like if I’m building a song in key of G major. I’d like to stay in the same key scale.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    @wim I wonder if there would be a possibility to create a Mosaic script that sees the incoming midi from Aphelian and slows you to change it to what ever chord you want and have it latch at that chord until you select a new chord. That would be so cool! Cause one of the main reasons I stopped Playing Oscilab was because I couldn’t transpose anything to make a real song with chord changes or progressions.

I’m sure it’s possible, but don’t understand enough about what you’re trying to do from your description to say. I’m also not too up on how to use Aphelian. Sure is a cool app, but I haven’t spent enough time with it.

• If you use 4 lanes with basically the same pattern, you can set each to the respective chord of your scale. Then switch between them by solo-ing one of the lanes ;)

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Yeah I don’t have it yet either. But yeah I wanna stay in the same key. Like if I’m building a song in key of G major. I’d like to stay in the same key scale.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:

If you get it and your ideas of how it needs to work crystallize, then try to describe them. There’s probably a solution.

• I've been straddling the fence on this for awhile. My recent use of Oscilab has me revisiting this. I do have a question though:
    Can you enter exact notes for a sequence or is it somewhat "chance"? It can be achieved in Oscilab but it seems to be easier in that app to generate approximate melodic material, if you know what I mean.

I'm tempted to get this on my love of Oscilab but don't want to get lost in something that I cannot use. Thanks!

• @kinkujin said:
    I've been straddling the fence on this for awhile. My recent use of Oscilab has me revisiting this. I do have a question though:
    Can you enter exact notes for a sequence or is it somewhat "chance"? It can be achieved in Oscilab but it seems to be easier in that app to generate approximate melodic material, if you know what I mean.

I'm tempted to get this on my love of Oscilab but don't want to get lost in something that I cannot use. Thanks!

If one takes the time to understand how the notes and rhythms are determined, you can select the notes and determine the rhythm. But you need to understand that you can't pick arbitrary notes as the possible notes are constrained by the shape that the ppayhead travels on.

• So say I’m working on a song based on the key of A, is there a way to have this app create stuff on the scale of A major?

@espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:
    I've been straddling the fence on this for awhile. My recent use of Oscilab has me revisiting this. I do have a question though:

If one takes the time to understand how the notes and rhythms are determined, you can select the notes and determine the rhythm. But you need to understand that you can't pick arbitrary notes as the possible notes are constrained by the shape that the ppayhead travels on.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    So say I’m working on a song based on the key of A, is there a way to have this app create stuff on the scale of A major?

@espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:

But not put in a note that is not in the key of A?

• What do you mean?

For me I’d like to be able to create chord progressions in whatever key I want my song to be in.

@kinkujin said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    So say I’m working on a song based on the key of A, is there a way to have this app create stuff on the scale of A major?

@espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:

But not put in a note that is not in the key of A?

• edited September 2019

For instance, i've entered A for key of a sequence. But, in the course of things, I'd like to put in a C natural (not in key of A). Would I/we be able to do this?
    And more importantly, is there any sort of control of where I put that C natural (I gather from @espiegel123 reply - thanks) that there is. But, not in a piano roll sort of way. So - this leads me to think that the app is determinative/chance in a way?

• Oh I see. Yeah that’s one thing that has me on the fence as well. I just recently got Gestrument Pro since @echoopera has got some really nice results with it and it inspired me as well. With it we are able to select the key to work with and I like that a lot.

What entices me so much about god app is the inspiration behind how it came about; mostly the fact the it’s based on the universe making melodies and music. If I’m correct, the Bible speaks of this and that all creation sings to God the creator of it all. So that is something special I like about this app.

@kinkujin said:
    For instance, i've entered A for key of a sequence. But, in the course of things, I'd like to put in a C natural (not in key of A). Would I/we be able to do this?
    And more importantly, is there any sort of control of where I put that C natural (I gather from @espiegel123 reply - thanks) that there is. But, not in a piano roll sort of way. So - this leads me to think that the app is determinative/chance in a way?

• 🙏😂☝️🙂

The Stars singing God’s praises: You gotta see this:

Absolutely!

That’s why this app has me intrigued as to how it was inspired by the developer.

@kinkujin said:
    @Tones4Christ
    god app Huh?

• Ah, thanks.

• So ... any of you users out there who wish to comment on this "But, not in a piano roll sort of way. So - this leads me to think that the app is determinative/chance in a way?" .... I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

• @kinkujin said:
    So ... any of you users out there who wish to comment on this "But, not in a piano roll sort of way. So - this leads me to think that the app is determinative/chance in a way?" .... I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

It is hard to pigeonhole. Short version, there is a notes grid. So, each position in space corresponds to a particular note. You choose the scale. The "shape" is a track around which the playhead travels. It can play a note anywhere on that track -- and you can (if you want) select precisely where on the track notes are played. The pitch is determined by the intersection of the playhead and the notes grid.

Imagine that you have a normal staff with a key signature. Imagine that composing is comprised of placing shape cutouts on the staff and you can place dots that will cause a note to sound where it intersects the staff. You are constrained by the shape you put down, but within those constraints you have choice. You can alter the orientation of the shape to adjust your choices, but you are constrained.

Because Aphelian can generating interesting stuff without actually understanding it, people tend (from what I can tell) to treat it as a random generator. But you can bring intentionality to it by understanding it.

The whole idea though is (I think) to take you out of your standard approach in order to coerce you into doing something different than you would do if you were using a piano roll or notation sequencer.

If one wants to work in a standard notational/piano roll sort of way, this app probably won't be very fun. I bring intentionality to it -- but am happy for it forcing me out of my normal habits.

• @espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:
    So ... any of you users out there who wish to comment on this "But, not in a piano roll sort of way. So - this leads me to think that the app is determinative/chance in a way?" .... I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

It is hard to pigeonhole. Short version, there is a notes grid. So, each position in space corresponds to a particular note. You choose the scale. The "shape" is a track around which the playhead travels. It can play a note anywhere on that track -- and you can (if you want) select precisely where on the track notes are played. The pitch is determined by the intersection of the playhead and the notes grid.

Imagine that you have a normal staff with a key signature. Imagine that composing is comprised of placing shape cutouts on the staff and you can place dots that will cause a note to sound where it intersects the staff. You are constrained by the shape you put down, but within those constraints you have choice. You can alter the orientation of the shape to adjust your choices, but you are constrained.

Because Aphelian can generating interesting stuff without actually understanding it, people tend (from what I can tell) to treat it as a random generator. But you can bring intentionality to it by understanding it.

The whole idea though is (I think) to take you out of your standard approach in order to coerce you into doing something different than you would do if you were using a piano roll or notation sequencer.

If one wants to work in a standard notational/piano roll sort of way, this app probably won't be very fun. I bring intentionality to it -- but am happy for it forcing me out of my normal habits.

THAT is much appreciated and an excellent write up. What you describe is what I'm looking for - get me to do things, quickly, differently, but and this is the big but for me, be able to dig in and edit the details when the need presents itself. I think this app is for me, if I'm reading your correctly. I think I am.