Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Interface Suggestions?

I’ve been using apogee duet and the apogee one as my iOS audio interface. However after recently getting a 2018 IPad Pro (with usb-c), Maestro (apogee’s app to control the interface on iOS) doesn’t see the the interface anymore (they say it’s a mfi issue since that was the protocol it used over lightning.) it will play out sound thru the speakers but mic preamps are a Nogo. So until they fix that I’m out of a usable 2018 iPad Pro interface for my needs.

Any suggestions on a high quality interface with good mic pres that will work? I’d prefer something on the more portable side, and would like to stay away from ‘entry level’ stuff and don’t really care about budget if the quality is there. Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2019

Love the Yamaha AG-06, very flexible and USB powered. Would be great to have an app to change the effects settings.

Surprised more people aren’t using these

Edit: Missed the USB C bit, hope Apogee sort this out!

• Jeeez that a nice audio device you have, i hope they update the firmware quick on that!

• Out of my price range but the RME baby-face pro is supposed to have stellar quality and works with iOS.

• @klownshed said:
    Out of my price range but the RME baby-face pro is supposed to have stellar quality and works with iOS.

Yep i was thinking the same, not sure if the RME works with usb c yet? Again another beautiful audio device.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Love the Yamaha AG-06, very flexible and USB powered. Would be great to have an app to change the effects settings.

Surprised more people aren’t using these

Edit: Missed the USB C bit, hope Apogee sort this out!

I’ve never seen this but it looks really cool 😎. How r the pres? Auria Pro needs to add this to their hardware list http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Jeeez that a nice audio device you have, i hope they update the firmware quick on that!

Ya I’m livid. I own every current apogee interface they make (except the quartet) and would’ve expected better from them on this, especially given their unique Apple relationship. So much potential down the drain. And it’s been nearly a year since iPads release so I’m loosing faith that they’ll fix it.

• edited August 2019

I’ve only been plugging in iOS devices and my Korg Monologue into them (onboard effects are excellent) so can’t comment on how they work with high end microphones etc @ipadbeatmaking

They are Yamaha D preamps and the interface will do 24 bit 196kHz

The three modes make it very flexible and you can change those with a switch on the mixer.

Very low latency on my windows desktop too. Running at 32 samples with no issues!

• edited August 2019

What about MOTU? They make quite a few nice interfaces with iOS support...

https://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

The best interface I ever owned was a Motu. Lasted years until I no longer had a Mac with pci slots and the rackount part still works as a standalone 24 channel AD converter with ADAT.

• edited August 2019

I mean i love the ICA4+ which i use now but sound quality is not in the league of a apogee or RME. It also has the mfi but im not using a ipad with usb c so i cant confirm if it works. Also the ICA4+ is not really so portable.

• @klownshed said:
    What about MOTU? They make quite a few nice interfaces with iOS support...

https://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

The best interface I ever owned was a Motu. Lasted years until I no longer had a Mac with pci slots and the rackount part still works as a standalone 24 channel AD converter with ADAT.

Damn bro, that looks pretty sweet! I just wish it wasn’t a/c power required 🤔😫. I’m definitely gonna do some more research on it.

• I recently bought a 2018 Pro 11” and Steinberg UR 44.
    Working well so far.
    Sound quality is an upgrade from the Alesis iodock (which still works) I’ve been using with my Air 2. Twice the inputs too.

• KMI Kmix is so far working well with IPad Air 2 thru camera connection kit. Using Aum, Ferrite, Cubasis... Kmix is really small for all the functionality it crams in there. 👍

• @Ben said:
    I recently bought a 2018 Pro 11” and Steinberg UR 44.
    Working well so far.
    Sound quality is an upgrade from the Alesis iodock (which still works) I’ve been using with my Air 2. Twice the inputs too.

I’ll look into it, thanks.

• edited September 2019

@haulin_notes said:
    KMI Kmix is so far working well with IPad Air 2 thru camera connection kit. Using Aum, Ferrite, Cubasis... Kmix is really small for all the functionality it crams in there. 👍

Whoa, what the fu...future is this?

• Ha! Just in case you were ever going to record the sound of passing trains. (You know you want to, lol)

• @haulin_notes said:
    Ha! Just in case you were ever going to record the sound of passing trains. (You know you want to, lol)

I’m seriously wondering how I’ve never heard of this! They need to tighten their marketing.

What’s your thoughts/experience on the preamps? And is a computer needed for any parts of the configuration or can the iPad handle it all?

• @ipadbeatmaking
    Only been using it a few months, but I like it very much so far. 👍I’m not a gear expert, but everything about seems to be solid and quality. Used for mostly vocals, haven’t tried guitar yet. So far has worked equally well on computer and ipad. It is combo interface, mixer, and controller. Haven’t tried the control surface part on iPad yet, and not sure if everything is implemented as much as desktop. But I’d say that one could do everything on ipad. Preamps seem excellent. From website:
    Audio Interface:
    USB Bus Powered
    Ultra-Low Noise µPre™ Preamps
    High-End AKM Converters
    32-bit Floating Point Signal Path
    8-in/10-out Audio

• @haulin_notes said:
    @ipadbeatmaking
    Only been using it a few months, but I like it very much so far. 👍I’m not a gear expert, but everything about seems to be solid and quality. Used for mostly vocals, haven’t tried guitar yet. So far has worked equally well on computer and ipad. It is combo interface, mixer, and controller. Haven’t tried the control surface part on iPad yet, and not sure if everything is implemented as much as desktop. But I’d say that one could do everything on ipad. Preamps seem excellent. From website:
    Audio Interface:
    USB Bus Powered
    Ultra-Low Noise µPre™ Preamps
    High-End AKM Converters
    32-bit Floating Point Signal Path
    8-in/10-out Audio

I also see it’s a 100$ off at guitar center right now also with the coupon ‘dayoff’. Wish they stocked em locally so I could check it out.

• Anyone have any experience with the Focusrite scarlet (gen 3) stuff?

• edited September 2019

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Anyone have any experience with the Focusrite scarlet (gen 3) stuff?

Update. I’m in south Florida about to be hit by Hurricane Dorian and didn’t wanna wait for any shipping (everything is pushed back at least a week even amazon) so I decided to see what GC had in stock.

I was curious so I just grabbed a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (generation 3) since the price was so cheap ($160 US) and they were in stock. So far I have to say this is pretty nice for the price. The ‘air’ features for the preamps and the modern feature set for the price are kinda amazing. All the buttons for 48V and direct monitoring are all on the unit, unlike apogee so it’s truly plug and play. No external power needed. Also, it’s usb-c which nice so no adapters required.

Only problems are that it doesn’t seem to work with a hub and sometimes the iPad won’t see it so I need to restart the iPad and pray the two see each other, whenever I disconnect it

Anyways. I’ll update as things progress but please, continue to make suggestions in this thread on audio interfaces, I’m still curious on the other ones and have 14 days to swap lol