Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MIDI between iPads

I had this working, and it seemed really simple. Now it doesn't and I don't know why.

I have a Novation LaunchControl plugged into iPad 1, controlling AUM. That works fine. I want to also control AUM on iPad 2. In iPad 1 AUM MIDI Routing, I sent LaunchControl to MIDI Control and to Network Session 1. On iPad 2, I sent Network Session 1 to MIDi Control. That worked, too. I think that's all I did.

I updated the iPads to 11.3.1, and now it doesn't work. I don't know if that's coincidence.
I also had MIDIFire talking between the iPads, and that no longer works.

Am I doing something wrong, or did 11.3.1 break it?

Comments

• I don’t know what you’re doing wrong, but this is an interesting topic.
    I have two 12,9 iPad Pros and an iPad Air. If I could get them to play together... BLISS!

• I am pretty sure you need to use MidiFire if you do not have a computer involved to host the WiFi network session. I have SoundPrism going through MidiFire network on an iPad 2, connected to MidiFire network running on an Air 2 (11.3.1). It is working.

• edited May 2018

So reading your description of your setup, I suggest creating a MidiFire Network Session.

On iPad 1 create a MidiFire in Node connected to a Network out node. In AUM, Send LaunchControl to MidiFire instead of Network 1. Keep the Launchpad to Midi Control connection the same.

On iPad 2, create a Network in node connected to a MidiFire out node. In AUM, send MidiFire to Midi Control.

In MidiFire, when setting up the WiFi Session, pay close attention to the IP address setting on both iPads. The small yellow text beneath the text box tells you the iPad address for that iPad. If this number matches the one in the text box, this iPad is the host for the session. All other iPads should have the same IP address as this host to connect to the hosted session.

Other than that, make sure you have your channel numbers matched up, I guess.

If you are still having problems, I can try testing something with AUM involved. That is the main difference between my setup and yours. I can see if I also have problems.

• @Kühl said:
    I don’t know what you’re doing wrong, but this is an interesting topic.
    I have two 12,9 iPad Pros and an iPad Air. If I could get them to play together... BLISS!

Did the above help you?

• All of the above, and it's working. I don't remember putting the IP addresses into MIDIFire before, but I guess I must have. I know I tried a lot of variations.

Rather than run the MIDI through AUM 1, I'm sending LaunchControl to iPad 2 in MIDIFire, but other than that, following CracklePot's recipe. Thank you, sir.

Can I use named devices instead of IP addresses, so I don't have to redo this every time I'm on another network?

• @Kühl said:

LINK is the easiest

• @nottooloud said:
    I had this working, and it seemed really simple. Now it doesn't and I don't know why.

I've been confused by all the other responses, because yes it is really simple. I just tested it with two iPads and the AUM built-in keyboard can send notes to the second iPad. For your use you should just be able to do the same with the Novation MIDI as I do with built-in keyboard.

In AUM just open up the menu and "MIDI ROUTE" which opens up the grid of sources and destinations for MIDI

On the iPad with your LaunchControl, set it to send to Network session

On the second iPad, set Network session as the source with destination being whatever synth, control, etc

• That's what I thought I did, but when I went back it didn't work. I'll have to try it again.

• My iPad-A is on 11.x.?

But iPad B is latest 11.3.1 so it should work.

• Also might help to connect all your midi before you open up AUM on either iPad.

• Does it work the other way around? It looks like the MIDI information isn't leaving my iPad 1 without assistance from MIDIFire. Link does work, though. The two AUM's share tempo.

• @htmx. That is interesting. I tried that first, a long time ago, but could never get it to work. Someone advised about the Desktop session host requirement, and said it won’t work between two iPads alone. But I have seen it stated other places that what you are suggesting does work.
    Then MidiFire came out, and the first video showed how it could connect two iPads through Bluetooth. It seemed like a unique feature, and a big deal to have this ability. I thought the connecting of the iPads was the big feature, but maybe it was just the BT aspect. I see how BT eliminates the need for a WiFi Network, so I suppose that was all it was.
    Anyway, I have MidiFire now, and was able to connect my iPads through WiFi for the first time. I will try that simple, straightforward method you showed, too.

• @nottooloud said:
    Does it work the other way around? It looks like the MIDI information isn't leaving my iPad 1 without assistance from MIDIFire. Link does work, though. The two AUM's share tempo.

huh, I'll test this. at the moment, iPad-A is downloading iOS11.4 beta so I won't be able to replicate your test exactly but... we'll see.

• @CracklePot said:
    @htmx. That is interesting. I tried that first, a long time ago, but could never get it to work. Someone advised about the Desktop session host requirement, and said it won’t work between two iPads alone.

yeah, its always a shot in the dark, with iOS having no MIDI/Audio settings page. But for sure the Network MIDI wifi session is established between two iPads on the same wi-fi network. There is no desktop involved in the session.

I think there must be some protocol for initiating the Network MIDI session and some iOS apps get it right and others don't. ...and it looks like AUM on iOS 11.3.1 does not get it right...

• so I did a bit more testing. It seems to me that AUM version 1.2.5 does not correctly send MIDI to AUM on another iOS device over Network MIDI (wi-fi). @j_liljedahl may want to look into this.

Earlier I had AUM (some earlier version) sending built-in keyboard notes to AUM 1.2.5 on another iPad. Now I've updated all devices to AUM 1.2.5 and cannot seem to get any of the iOS devices to send Network MIDI (to AUM) on another iOS device. This is irrelevant to iOS version (tried on 11.4 beta and 11.3.1 and 11.2.6)

Interestingly, AUM 1.2.5 is actually sending the MIDI over network. On a second device, the MIDI log in MIDI Designer Pro reports incoming note data. The problem is somehow related to the way AUM (on second iOS device) receives the data that AUM 1.2.5 is sending.

Anyway, yep for now it looks like a third-party app like MIDIFire is needed as a workaround.

• Thanks for digging in to that.

• @CracklePot said:

@Kühl said:

Did the above help you?

I’m sure it’s gonna help when I try it.
    Been away with ,y motor home studio this weekend, just got home :)
    Thanks for elaborating on the topic.

• @1nsomniak said:

@Kühl said:

LINK is the easiest

Link is incredible, but there are of course limits.
    My favourite synth iMS-20 doesn’t have it

• @Kühl said:

@CracklePot said:

@Kühl said:

Did the above help you?

I’m sure it’s gonna help when I try it.
    Been away with ,y motor home studio this weekend, just got home :)
    Thanks for elaborating on the topic.

:)

• Gee I'm glad I stumbled across this... saved myself some serious dough after I was told the only way to functionally connect two ipads involved buying iConnectivityMidi4+ ... I'm an iOS newbie and gullible anyway so I was just about to shell out near $400 dollars when I got to thinking about bluetooth and networks and AUM and the like - went for a google and here you are ... works a treat ... I can now control two ipads with one keyboard ... can have two instances of AUM running parallel - chockers with everything (having better than doubled the available memory) ...can't hear any evident latency either. Now I can buy more some more (utterly essential) apps! Whoopee!!

Isn't AUM a handy little critter? As you are yerselves. Many thanks.

• @Kühl said:

I came across this topic when searching for any topics on controlling AUM from a different iPad. I’m using the iConnectivity Audio 4+ with two iOS devices and no computer. I’m disabled with paralyzed fingers, so I depend on iOS devices as a touch controller . I’m not sure as many people are using these devices, without , typically, having some sort of hardware controller. It is my hope to use and iPad Pro 12.9 as my main performance DAW, controlled by and iPad. Any thoughts or recommendations?

• @DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

I came across this topic when searching for any topics on controlling AUM from a different iPad. I’m using the iConnectivity Audio 4+ with two iOS devices and no computer. I’m disabled with paralyzed fingers, so I depend on iOS devices as a touch controller . I’m not sure as many people are using these devices, without , typically, having some sort of hardware controller. It is my hope to use and iPad Pro 12.9 as my main performance DAW, controlled by and iPad. Any thoughts or recommendations?

If you have Audiobus 3, try connecting your iPads, iPhones, or iPods through Bluetooth Midi.
    I just started messing around using my iPod Touch to send Midi to my iPad, using the Bluetooth Midi feature in Audiobus, and it works really well.

Actually, it did crash a couple of times, but it was probably my fault, as this is my first time using BT Midi. I strongly suggest you give it a shot.

• @CracklePot said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

If you have Audiobus 3, try connecting your iPads, iPhones, or iPods through Bluetooth Midi.
    I just started messing around using my iPod Touch to send Midi to my iPad, using the Bluetooth Midi feature in Audiobus, and it works really well.

Actually, it did crash a couple of times, but it was probably my fault, as this is my first time using BT Midi. I strongly suggest you give it a shot.

Yeah I tried the Audiobus Bluetooth and it works magically good with my iPad Pro as my main device, and controlled via Bluetooth with my old iPad Air.

• @DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

iPads are great tools for disabled people. I know from my own experience. I got a rare muscle illness 5 years ago, so I had to change my guitars out with writing music on iPad. It’s great to have the ability to still express oneself musically. I wish you a great future with your “instrument”, and here’s a handshake 🤝 from a Norwegian ;)

• Handshake > @CracklePot said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

@Kühl said:

@CracklePot said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

Yeah I tried the Audiobus Bluetooth and it works magically good with my iPad Pro as my main device, and controlled via Bluetooth with my old iPad Air.

@Kühl said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

iPads are great tools for disabled people. I know from my own experience. I got a rare muscle illness 5 years ago, so I had to change my guitars out with writing music on iPad. It’s great to have the ability to still express oneself musically. I wish you a great future with your “instrument”, and here’s a handshake 🤝 from a Norwegian ;)

Thanks guys. I’ve been so focused on AUv3 that I completely spaced about using audiobus and Bluetooth. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I’m always down to meet Other disabled electronica music producers.

• You’re welcome. :)
    Hope this works out well for you.
    I really think it will.
    BT Midi is pretty awesome.

• @DWP510 said:
    Handshake > @CracklePot said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

@Kühl said:

@CracklePot said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

@Kühl said:

@DWP510 said:

@Kühl said:

Thanks guys. I’ve been so focused on AUv3 that I completely spaced about using audiobus and Bluetooth. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I’m always down to meet Other disabled electronica music producers.

We should form a band... band name anyone?? :smiley:
    Hurry, we’re on a mission from God 🎥 🍿 🎸🎺🎺🥁🚓🚓🚓 😎 🎤 😎 🎤

• Like the Blues Brothers 😎 😎

• A good few years back midi between ipads just happened to me accidentally via network and thanks to loopy.

Having a midi interface connected to each and wired together seems like the easiest way but wonder if there's ever simpler wired method using a hub or something?

• @CracklePot said:
    You’re welcome. :)
    Hope this works out well for you.
    I really think it will.
    BT Midi is pretty awesome.

I wonder how bt midi works in live environment with other bt devices roaming and trying to connect. I've heard of bt getting 'confused'