Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS compliant: Multi Audio Channels(+midi)

edited August 2019 in Market Place

Do we have a list of interfaces iOS compliant that have multi channels? (More than a stereo pair) input?

Steinberg
What others?

Also, do any of those have midi?

A lot to ask I know.

Lastly, midi box for usb/5pin that is iOS.

Comments

• iConnectivity

• edited August 2019

I’ve been using an Apogee Quartet, but it’s not 100% compatible at the moment. 4 in, 8 out, USB MIDI host (for one device, no hubs)...

Edit: it is not 100% functional with the USB-C interface. It’s possible to use it fully if one is willing to connect it to another lightning-compatible device (like my phone) to adjust some settings. Tedious, but it works. Hopefully the rumoured update happens soon.

• Focusrite and Behringer boxes see individual inputs/outputs not just pairs.

• Arturia Audiofuse - 2 mic/line ins (with inserts), 2 extra regular line ins, ADAT in and Out, phono inputs, 2 monitor sends, 2 headphone outputs, 5 pin MIDI in and Out, 3 USB ports, probably a couple of other things I missed....class compliant across the board: iOS, W10, OSX, Linux...

• edited August 2019

Behringer XR18: 16 mic/line ins (2 of them Hi-Z), 2 additional line ins, 8 outputs, plus a headphone out. It has a pretty flexible routing matrix, effects, snapshots. You can use the 5-pin MIDI port as a regular MIDI to USB interface or to control basic mixer levels or snapshot recall with Program Change messages. For full mixer control you need the app which connects via network (ethernet or wifi) or send your own OSC messages (which I did with StreamByter)

• @jipumarino said:
    Behringer XR18: 16 mic/line ins (2 of them Hi-Z), 2 additional line ins, 8 outputs, plus a headphone out. It has a pretty flexible routing matrix, effects, snapshots. You can use the 5-pin MIDI port as a regular MIDI to USB interface or to control basic mixer levels or snapshot recall with Program Change messages. For full mixer control you need the app which connects via network (ethernet or wifi) or send your own OSC messages (which I did with StreamByter)

Thumbs up

• @arktek said:
    Arturia Audiofuse - 2 mic/line ins (with inserts), 2 extra regular line ins, ADAT in and Out, phono inputs, 2 monitor sends, 2 headphone outputs, 5 pin MIDI in and Out, 3 USB ports, probably a couple of other things I missed....class compliant across the board: iOS, W10, OSX, Linux...

Forgot~

• @mistercharlie said:
    K-mix

Isn't that a midi controller
    ?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@mistercharlie said:
    K-mix

?

Nop.

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/

• @RUST( i )K said:

@mistercharlie said:
    K-mix

?

It’s both a midi controller and a mixer and audio interface

Stand alone (no computer needed)
    Class compliant
    Bus powered

Multiple ins multiple outs
    Breakout midi expander

$599

Overkill for some. Everything in one for others.

• Yeah, l don't use the midi part much, but I like how the lights on the sliders update when you move a slider in Logic.

For audio, it's super flexible. The touch sliders aren't as nice as real knobs and faders though.

• @jipumarino - I had a look at the specs on the Behringer website and was wondering are you able to access the effects in there from a DAW send in iOS? eg aux send from Auria or AUM or somewhere similar? That would be really cool. Also, do you find the need for an external monitor controller? How do you use it in your setup? Super curious. I have an Arturia Audiofuse and the useful part I find is the touchy feely knobs...the down side is the need to configure it in Windows or OSX when you need to change internal configurations, not that I need to do that much...
    I think the XR 18 has a unique selling point with it’s iOS integration. Do you find any issues with it all being software controlled or do you just get the gain structure set up and then not need to worry after that?

@RUST( i )K have you seen this page? http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces
    Not completely up to date, but might give you some ideas....how are you planning to use it?

• @arktek: disclaimer: I sold the XR18 a while ago, only because I was generally downsizing ("I'm not a real musician/producer" and all that) and wanted the seamless integration between computer and iPad that the iConnectAudio provides (not to mention the size). That said…

You can definitely use the internal effects as sends, by setting up a stereo pair to receive from, say, USB 3-4, and use that as a send channel output in AUM (as opposed to your regular "master" which would typically use USB 1-2). You can then choose to send the output of that XR18 channel directly to the mixer's output or route it back to your iPad/computer.

I did miss the knobs a bit, but since it had so many inputs (and thus the inputs always received from the same instruments/mic) I didn't need to mess that much with the gain structure. The ipad or computer app is good enough for that, and since it works via wifi you don't need to actually connect it to your computer, as you do with your Audiofuse and others with similar routing features such as the Focusrites. I did use a few snapshots that I selected via OSC with StreamByter, which can roughly be described as "Live", "Studio" and "Sampling", but those were basically just muting/unmuting channels, not adjusting levels.

Take a look at the X18 as well, I believe it's internally the same, and the send outputs are TRS instead of XLR (which I would have preferred), though I don't know what the max size is for its iPad surface. Also, be careful because smaller mixers, such as the XR16, do not provide separate USB channels.

• @jipumarino Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. The thing I find is it’s greatest strength is it’s integration with iOS and the ability to use it’s DSP. Maybe we’ll see more of this from manufacturers as time goes on.
    One last question: how many channels can you send to and from each device through the iConnect? I’ve been chasing up potential USB to ADAT converters, but that might be a better option.
    Cheers.

• It’s pretty configurable as regards to USB audio channels -

• Focusrite interfaces are rock solid and sound great, but if you want to use the internal mixer built in (to monitor audio for example) you will have to hook them up to a mac or pc, configure the mixer you want, and "save to device", it will then work as configured on the iPad.

I really like their interfaces (the quality for the money is pretty astonishing) but i wish they would publish a iOS editor for them...

• @arktek: @[Deleted User] posted the options above, I currently have it set up like this:

iPad inputs
    1: Guitar
    2: Mic
    3-4: Digitakt
    5-6-7-8: Mac 1-2-3-4

Mac inputs
    5-6-7-8: iPad 1-2-3-4

I may change things when Overbridge is released for Digitakt, but for now this is doing everything I want.

I used to have a Focusrite 18i20 with a USBStreamer through ADAT which kinda achieves the same thing. I tried to sell the USBStreamer without luck, so I can send it your way for free if you want to give it a shot.

• edited August 2019

Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK works great with multiple in and outs... No midi though.
    It always sends audio to the USB channels (pre-EQ, etc), so it is a great way to grab recordings of multiple hardware channels.
    After a long search, I found it to be one an excellent mixer/interface for iPad audio.

Here it is in iOS13 in AUM.

• @DYMS said:
    Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK works great with multiple in and outs... No midi though.
    It always sends audio to the USB channels (pre-EQ, etc), so it is a great way to grab recordings of multiple hardware channels.
    After a long search, I found it to be one an excellent mixer/interface for iPad audio.

Here it is in iOS13 in AUM.

Very Cool, maybe they will add midi in a future version. I like that.

• @jipumarino Thanks for the offer, I think I need to have a better look at the iConnect. It could cut down on the number of boxes required to make things work during the creation stage and maybe keep the Audiofuse for mixing purposes or something...if I had a Mac I could complicate it all further and have both the iConnect and Audiofuse connected as aggregate devices. It seems that the iConnect fills the dream of being able to move audio around between boxes like having a good patchbay...without having to depend too much on software...
    Thanks @[Deleted User] I should have just looked up the manual which you motivated me to do and it does look very configurable and useful.

• @arktek said:
    Arturia Audiofuse - 2 mic/line ins (with inserts), 2 extra regular line ins, ADAT in and Out, phono inputs, 2 monitor sends, 2 headphone outputs, 5 pin MIDI in and Out, 3 USB ports, probably a couple of other things I missed....class compliant across the board: iOS, W10, OSX, Linux...

have used this with no issues.. great buy

• @arktek

Thanks @[Deleted User] I should have just looked up the manual which you motivated me to do and it does look very configurable and useful.

no problem, it really has completed my home set-up. I wack a powered midi hub into the ICA4+ host port to run 8 USB midi devices too. Also it runs at low audio latency while doing all this routing. I'm a total fanboy for this device!

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @arktek: @[Deleted User] posted the options above, I currently have it set up like this:

iPad inputs
    5-6-7-8: Mac 1-2-3-4

Mac inputs
    5-6-7-8: iPad 1-2-3-4

I may change things when Overbridge is released for Digitakt, but for now this is doing everything I want.

I used to have a Focusrite 18i20 with a USBStreamer through ADAT which kinda achieves the same thing. I tried to sell the USBStreamer without luck, so I can send it your way for free if you want to give it a shot.

@NoiseFloored
    Have you ever tried streaming 8 (individual) tracks of the Digitakt to Focusrite 18i20 via ADAT, using the USBStreamer?
    Thanks!

• @dean88 I never did, when I had all the 18i20 and USBStreamer the Digitakt didn't have multiout. In any case, the Digitakt relies on Overbridge so I can imagine something like this would work, though it would need software to connect the Digitakt outs to the 18i20:

Digitakt ←[USB]→ Computer ←[USB]→ 18i20 ←[ADAT]→ USBStreamer ←[USB]→ iPad