Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Listing of all the commonly used abbreviations and acronyms with their meanings?

I'll try and list at least some of the ones I see, but there are so many I get confuselated, maybe there is a list of them somewhere? Sorry for the newbishness.

ABF
AB
AU
AUM
AUv3
IAA

And that's simply a quick glance at a few posts, while keeping to just the first station of the alphabet.

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

Good question - best i'll write my answer into the forum wiki.

The first batch of entries can now be found at commonly used abbreviations , others can just add to the table :)

(I just had a glance at topics of the first 10 forum pages)

• edited August 2019

ABF = AudioBus Forum
    AB = AudioBus (This very forum's eponymous app!)
    AU = Audio Unit (a plugin format for Mac and iOS)
    AUM = Audio Mixer. An app.
    AUv3 = Audio Unit version 3 (a plugin format for iOS; v3 is the current/latest version)
    IAA = Inter App Audio. A technology developed by Apple to route audio and MIDI signals between various iOS apps. Increasingly becoming legacy as AUv3 is rising to become the new standard.

smh (shaking my head)
    jk (just kidding)

:)

• Don’t forget BS.

• Thanks so much, I guess I should start collecting the b's and the c's... but how the hell do you recall all of them unless you use them all with great regularity? Does everyone on this forum work in IT for a living and thus excessive and constantly changing jargon is par for the course?

• I just make mine up..
    iS iF BH CB RC275 and so on down the road. But don't forget the most important, RAM! lol.

• You gotta watch this, it will help

• People keep recommending GTFO to me, but it doesn't seem to be in the App Store.
    ???

• You've been chastened Mr. Chasteen.

• edited August 2019

ROTFLMFAO
    The greatest sound ever

MIDI musical instrument digital interface
    is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, and electrical connectors that connect a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers, and related audio devices for playing, editing and recording music.

CCK camera connection kit
    It’s just a fucking dongle not a “kit” - 🙄 marketing

PC program change
    Patch Change, a type of MIDI message used for sending data to devices to cause them to change to a new program. Program Changes messages are channelized so they will only affect a device on a specific MIDI channel

• BM2/BM3 - Beatmaker 2 &3 (apps)
    NS2 - Nanostudio 2

• edited August 2019

Dupe post.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    People keep recommending GTFO to me, but it doesn't seem to be in the App Store.
    ???

Maybe you should RTFM.

• I added all contributions (and several more) to the Wiki Page

• Extricate the quadruped from the vehicle
    And constabulate it into something nutritious.
    And, when the aurora rises in the heavens,
    I will return and compensate thee amply.

• CC - Control Change
    CV - Control Voltage
    LFO - Low Frequency Oscillator
    OSC - Oscillator
    VCA - Voltage Controlled Amplifier
    VCF - Voltage Controlled Filter

• @Daveypoo CC and other midi command (AT, PB, PC) are already in the wiki - i'll add the synth related stuff in about 5 hours (also ADSR, ENV, SEQ, ARP, MOD) if nobody else adds them :)

• UI, GUI, UX... User Interface. Too lazy to find out the other two, but I think they’re the same and that works for me.

• edited August 2019

BRILLO - Kind of pad, very bright. :#

• Done, all suggestions are added to the wiki page :)

The table now contains 43 music related and 5 general abbreviations.

@Lady_App_titude Okay, okay - i'll water the horse ;)
    (i didn't know that one, had to google the back story)

• Good work @_ki. Thanks for doing that.

• @LinearLineman said:
    UI, GUI, UX... User Interface. Too lazy to find out the other two, but I think they’re the same and that works for me.

GUI = graphical user interface.

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@StudioES Wow, long list and many new candidates - I'll add them tomorrow, but it will take some time to find good short definitions and/or wikipedia link for each.

Only a few of these (MPE, AM,FM,RM ) were already in the table. Some like ROM, RAM, SSD seem more computer than audio or music related. BTW: I never heard or read ADD as abbreviation for additive synthesis, but it probabbly won't hurt adding it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You forgot CBT, it takes a bit of time to get used to but the results are life changing 🙂

• @_ki said:
    Done, all suggestions are added to the wiki page :)

The table now contains 43 music related and 5 general abbreviations.

@Lady_App_titude Okay, okay - i'll water the horse ;)
    (i didn't know that one, had to google the back story)

We used to memorize little phrases like that (and stuff like Gilbert and Sullivan lyrics) and recite them as fast as possible, just to be pedantic and annoying to grownups when we needed to be. Another one was:

"If the fresh skin of an animal, cleaned and divested of hair, fat, and other extraneous matter, be immersed in a dilute solution of tannic acid, a chemical combination ensues. The gelatinous tissue of the skin is converted into an imputrescible substance, impervious to, and insoluble in, water. This, sir, is leather. "

:D

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve actually got a PCMCIA wireless card, found it when I cleaned house :smiley:

I must rush to the museum and donate it :wink: