Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are you reading? Is it not bad?

edited August 2019 in Other

Don’t think we’ve had one of these yet? Audiobooks are books too 🙂

Doing a revisit of The Stormlight Archives series by Brandon Sanderson. Highly recommend if you enjoyed GOT or similar things. Audiobook version is excellent.

Always dipping into “Designing Sound” by Andy Farnell. Not cheap but it’s very comprehensive!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9572760-designing-sound

Comments

• Leonard Susskind - The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Hole-War-Stephen-Mechanics/dp/0316016411

dope stuff

• edited August 2019

Looks good but I think my brain might explode while reading that! @dendy

• Was looking the other day for something like Netflix for audiobooks and thought maybe Audible.com but it looks like you have to still buy the audiobooks even after subscribing?

I would just love to plunk down for a subscription and jump around a bunch of audiobooks to listen to.

• The Space Trilogy by CS Lewis. Incredible!

• I’ve been reading the comic The Invisibles. It is pretty good.

• edited August 2019

Audible has a good selection, you can buy extra books. The subscription gives you one credit (one book). There are different memberships options which offer better value if you read a lot.

In my experience if you were to cancel the subscription due to poverty they usually offer a very special price for a few months!

Lots of libraries let you “borrow” audiobooks nowadays. I would check that option first @AudioGus

I hadn’t heard of that trilogy, added to the list. Thanks @mjcouche

Is that the series from Grant Morrison? @JackDwyerburger

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Audible has a good selection, you can buy extra books. The subscription gives you one credit (one book)

In my experience if cancel due to poverty they usually offer a very special price for a few months!

Lots of libraries let you “borrow” audiobooks nowadays. I would check that option first @AudioGus

Woah, good call, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

Woah, how cool is that? They have an app with books and magazines too. This is sweet! Thanks again!

• I’m reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Love her writing.

Had audible for a bit but cut back on it after a while. However, if you do get it, try Oryx and Crake by M. Atwood. It’s excellent.

• edited August 2019

I’m in the middle of War and Peace and it is very much not bad. Incredible, really.

• @murky_fish said:
    I’m in the middle of War and Peace and it is very much not bad. Incredible, really.

One day i shall read that one, the Russians can sure write.
    Im grinding through schoenberg’s functions of harmony, slow going.

• I just finished Friday Night Lights (the book). Well written and melancholic. Good insight into today’s America, written many yesterdays ago.

• edited August 2019

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Looks good but I think my brain might explode while reading that! @dendy

Yeah, mine was in superposition of exploded and nonexoloded state during reading :)) Enlightening experience :))

• @BlueGreenSpiral yeah it’s the Grant Morrison series

• Just finished the third book of the S.A. Corey series that The Expanse is based on. If you’re into science fiction at all, this is monumental. If you liked The Expanse, this is off the charts better.

• edited August 2019

‘The Fan Man’ by William Kotzwinkle, again, for the laughs 😂

• YouTube has a great assortment of audiobooks. Caveat: check comments to make sure book was not posted by a sadist who does include the end!

Aztec, Gary Jennings (Cortes, Moctuzuma)
    Creation, Gore Vidal (5th century BC, Darius, Xerxes, Zoroaster, Buddha Confucius)
    The Sun Rises, Charles Liss (19th century Japan Meiji, end of Samurai)

Guess I like historical novels.

• Jerusalem (the full volume), by Alan Moore. It’s going to take a while.

• Nightstand 82419

• Started reading a comic called Black Hammer. So good!

• edited August 2019

The book that I always recommend but not reading at the moment. (Although I try to reread once every couple of years) is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves

Also, for on a less serious book note I would highly recommend the Beastie Boys autobiography as an audiobook. So many guest speakers on it, and a great history of music for that time period.

• I got halfway through that series a long time ago, reading on the pc wasn't optimal.
    Thanks for the reminder @JackDwyerburger

I've had the cliffhanger experience with YouTube audiobooks before @LinearLineman
    Checking the comments is actually recommended for once!

I started Jerusalem but it didn't grab me @MonzoPro
    Think it was about 50 hours long so that was a bit daunting, should give it a second chance.

Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear
    This sleep deprived fool has been searching for a book called "Nightstand 82419" for about ten minutes 🤦‍♂️

The Maddaddam trilogy from Margaret Atwood is going to be my next listen @kinkujin

Will be checking out the recommendations, thanks for sharing @murky_fish @ALB @wim @Paul16

• Range: Why generalists triumph in a specialized world, David Epstein

It’s not bad.

• @AudioGus said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Woah, how cool is that? They have an app with books and magazines too. This is sweet! Thanks again!

No worries, I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a thing. Can't remember the location but there's a library that lets you borrow hardware synthesisers!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@AudioGus said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

No worries, I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a thing. Can't remember the location but there's a library that lets you borrow hardware synthesisers!

Mmm, yes, saw that one. Wouldn’t that be amazing?

• >

I started Jerusalem but it didn't grab me @MonzoPro
    Think it was about 50 hours long so that was a bit daunting,

That’s exactly why I like it.

• I just checked, it’s actually 60 hours!!
    Narrator is very good and I’m a big fan of Alan Moore so will give it another go @MonzoPro

• Range sounds like something I would find very useful from reading the description and reviews.

Cheers for that! @ecamburn

• edited August 2019

Ah house of leaves!! Love it @SanMateo

The only book that could get you put in an asylum if you were to read it in a public place 😂

I borrowed my copy to someone who is “nearly finished” since 2008!
    Might just get it on Amazon

Beastie boys audiobook sounds amazing, someone delete this thread please.
    Too many quality recommendations!!

• @ALB said:
    I just finished Friday Night Lights (the book). Well written and melancholic. Good insight into today’s America, written many yesterdays ago.

It is superb.
    Anything that can captivate me and deals with small towns, Texas, and football (three of my least favorite things) must be outstanding.
    Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show possesses the same magic.