Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Howl: A formant synthesizer by Daniel Clelland is free right now

Has Audiobus support, not Auv3!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1067562312

Description:

HOWL is a simple vocoder/synthesizer. It uses formants to simulate the human voice and a pitch-space keyboard to help you find interesting melodies.

Features:

• Simple synthesizer (just a sawtooth wave nothing too complicated okay)
• Simple vocoder (four parallel bandpass filters, a bit like the Klatt engine)
• Audiobus support, so you can pipe your own audio through the vocoder and/or send the output to other software
• Adjustable pitch-space keyboard
• Cool FX (bitcrush, reverb, vibrato and tremolo)

Download it today!

HOWL is also open source (check out the code at https://github.com/dclelland/HOWL).

Comments

• Doug's test run a few years ago:

• Looks cool, but no AU?

• @auxmux said:
    Looks cool, but no AU?

It came out 4 years ago. AUs didn't even exist then. Last update was Jan 2018.

It's free, it's fun.

• @Simon said:
    It's free, it's fun.

All that needs to be said!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Simon said:
    It's free, it's fun.

All that needs to be said!

It IS fun. Nice bit of work. Had hoped it would carry on, but imagine the dev didn;t get enough traction to warrant etc. Still, something different and worth the fiddle.

• Doesn’t work in Audiobus 3 here, could be an iPadOS issue ?
    Just get the magical zzzz, sender or filter.

• @Turntablist said:
    Doesn’t work in Audiobus 3 here, could be an iPadOS issue ?
    Just get the magical zzzz, sender or filter.

It is broke AB and IAA, doesn’t load properly.
    The dev knows, but is too busy to fix it.
    Maybe some day, but the app going ‘free’ makes me doubt it will get fixed anytime soon.

• edited August 2019

New version that fixes AudioBus problem just dropped. Still free.

Thank you Daniel!

• @Simon said:

Thank you Daniel!

+1!!

• @Simon said:

Thank you Daniel!

That is great.
    I had an older version on my iPad2 that still worked in Audiobus, but I kind of hate using my iPad2 these days.

• Reviews indicate that at least at some point this worked inside AUM. It currently does not. I can’t get it to load, even trying all the “reload” tricks. I pulled it out of the toolbox to take another look at it today, and I can get it to make sound in AB3 and route it to AUM, but no way to get AUM audio to play through it as far as I can see...

• @motmeister said:
    Reviews indicate that at least at some point this worked inside AUM. It currently does not. I can’t get it to load, even trying all the “reload” tricks. I pulled it out of the toolbox to take another look at it today, and I can get it to make sound in AB3 and route it to AUM, but no way to get AUM audio to play through it as far as I can see...

It works in the latest version of AUM on a 2019 iPad Air 3 running iOS 13.2.3. You do have to manually launch Howl as it will not work if you try to load it from within AUM. Once Howl is launched manually, it loads up for me within AUM and works.

• @InfoCheck said:

@motmeister said:
    Reviews indicate that at least at some point this worked inside AUM. It currently does not. I can’t get it to load, even trying all the “reload” tricks. I pulled it out of the toolbox to take another look at it today, and I can get it to make sound in AB3 and route it to AUM, but no way to get AUM audio to play through it as far as I can see...

It works in the latest version of AUM on a 2019 iPad Air 3 running iOS 13.2.3. You do have to manually launch Howl as it will not work if you try to load it from within AUM. Once Howl is launched manually, it loads up for me within AUM and works.

I have manually launched it first. It still doesn't load in AUM. Just to remove doubt, this was after a full reboot of the iPad.

• @motmeister said:

@InfoCheck said:

@motmeister said:

I have manually launched it first. It still doesn't load in AUM. Just to remove doubt, this was after a full reboot of the iPad.

You might want to delete the app and reinstall it.

• @InfoCheck said:

@motmeister said:

@InfoCheck said:

@motmeister said:

You might want to delete the app and reinstall it.

OK, I'll try that... :(

• some cool sounds to be had in there, shame on the lack of midi

• I managed to get a promo code for this when it was released. It makes some nice sounds and i would still use it from time to time if it were an AU.

Definitely worth it for free or even paid if lack of AU is not a problem and this seems interesting to you.