Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• Thanks for the fantastic update @burns_audio.

Did any of the cc > parameter assignments change? Just asking since if they did I need to update the parameter randomizer Mozaic script.

• Loooove the update! Fantastic work!

• If anyone is wondering where the parameters for lfo and envelope sources and amounts are, I found them under Matrix (rules 1-4). A bit confusing, but I'm so happy I can now map everything to my controller and sequence several instances with automation etc.

I love these instruments so much!

• Overall I love the update...
    ...hope the polyphony (ie. sometimes notes won't play properly) issues will get sorted out, I'll try to do my best to find a repeatable procedure but it ain't easy, pretty 'random'.

• @Samu said:
    Overall I love the update...
    ...hope the polyphony (ie. sometimes notes won't play properly) issues will get sorted out, I'll try to do my best to find a repeatable procedure but it ain't easy, pretty 'random'.

Does it happen when you select blank preset?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

Not initially, it's after that patch has been tweaked the drop-outs start to happen but as said not always.
    It's somehow feels like that not all voices get the same settings?!
    (Meaning the voicing parameters for each voice are not in sync).

I always start with the Blank preset, then head over to the AMP tab to adjust the envelope.

When the 'bug' happens I just save the patch I'm working on in AUM, unload the Spectrum AUv3, load it again and load the preset and voila voices are back...

• @Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Samu said:

Not initially, it's after that patch has been tweaked the drop-outs start to happen but as said not always.
    It's somehow feels like that not all voices get the same settings?!
    (Meaning the voicing parameters for each voice are not in sync).

I always start with the Blank preset, then head over to the AMP tab to adjust the envelope.

When the 'bug' happens I just save the patch I'm working on in AUM, unload the Spectrum AUv3, load it again and load the preset and voila voices are back...

Same here, always happens after some tweaking, probably after switching algorithm. Posted a vid a few pages back of the Modal engine, where certain notes sound different to the others.

I've had the dropouts in lots of situations though, starting from the Init or Blank presets, loading a project or preset in AUM, loading a project in NS2.

• Guys is there a way to share presets? Sort of like the way Mosaic is set up to share scripts?

• edited August 2019

Presets are on the roadmap, but best bet is to use AUM presets for now.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys is there a way to share presets? Sort of like the way Mosaic is set up to share scripts?

As far as I know not yet but it's something I think is in the making once all the bugs are squashed :)
    Only way I know for now is to share a AUM session with a few Spectrum instances running...

I for one would love to see numerical feedback on the mod depths and numerical input for the parameters.
    A uni-polar option for the LFO waveform (even though modulation amount can be + and - the LFO wave it self is still bi-polar making it tricky to do precise modulation). For added 'punch' a log/exp curve option for the envelopes could be handy.

The LFO graphics is already so I guess it's a matter of time before the Envelope Shape gets a similar treatment?
    And well more LFOs and Envelopes, it's software after all :)

Once I've gotten to know the synth it's quite easy to tweak a sound from the blank patch...

• A visual representation of the wave form in the main screen would be realy appreciated...

I know i am spoiled.. you listen music with your ears... but somehow my brain wants to see what my ears hear for conformation.

• @Bachus said:
    A visual representation of the wave form in the main screen would be realy appreciated...

I know i am spoiled.. you listen music with your ears... but somehow my brain wants to see what my ears hear for conformation.

Yeah, oscilloscopes are handy, I would be happy if we could 'switch' between the X&Y pad and an Oscilloscope.
    @burns_audio is this something that could be added?

Currently I just load the apeMatrix oscilloscope AUv3 to an effects slot to view the waveform.

• Thanks for all the kind comments :)

Regarding oscilloscope I would rather spend my time making impossible things possible, like full MPE and patch sharing.

Using another AU for oscilloscope seems like a good solution.

Will spend some time on that dead voice issue. Might try writing a fuzzer that just spams MIDI notes and detects when a voice stops making audio, although it seems related to parameter changes as well.

Does anyone think they were modifying amp envelope settings right before a voice died?

• After bugs fixes I am looking forward to MPE and preset management! IMO the simple GUI was one of the strong points of the app along with low CPU. I believe moving/busy graphics tend to increase CPU usage/spikes on ios AU music apps.

• @burns_audio said:

Does anyone think they were modifying amp envelope settings right before a voice died?

I've tried to mess with the amp envelope to provoke the 'dead voice syndrome' but without any consistent or repeatable problems :(

I don't know if all the voices are 're-inited' when changing the synthesis model?

One issues could be that the parameters the poly voices use are not in sync...
    (ie. when does the app 'set/re-set' the parameters for the voices? Do they 'retain' the old parameters while in allocation cue? or are they all reset when changing the model?).

As I've understood the polyphony is a bit of a hack so I really do suspect 'parameter/value sync' as one of the issues...

I can only guess the potential source for the issue since I can not reproduce the problem step by step.

• @wim no CC changes! Thanks again for the randomization script :)

The polyphony isn't really a hack, it's just simple and it's how to take many monophonic voices and make them play polyphonically. I don't actually think it's that code because that code got rewritten for 0.4 to support per-channel modulation (a precursor to MPE) and the problem persists. I suspect it's either the envelope is getting stuck, or the Plaits engine is getting stuck. Of course that's classic programmer "it is likely one of these two pieces I didn't write", and since they were written by someone way better at this than me, I'm probably wrong haha :D

• @burns_audio said:
    I suspect it's either the envelope is getting stuck, or the Plaits engine is getting stuck. Of course that's classic programmer "it is likely one of these two pieces I didn't write", and since they were written by someone way better at this than me, I'm probably wrong haha :D

Ok, so one way I've managed to recover the voice when it goes awol is to change the polyphony to one, trigger a few notes and then increase the polyphony again.

When doing the decrease polyphony trick the remaining voice stays quiet for a few trigs and after that it recovers, totally weird stuff happening here. Need to find a truly repeatable pattern as to what causes it as it's driving me nuts.

Fastest way to recovery is to save the preset, unload Spectrum and re-load the plug-in and preset...

• Hi, are the CCs still all different between modules? Would it be feasible (or wanted) to uniform them so an external controller can control all the modules?

• @SimonT said:
    Hi, are the CCs still all different between modules? Would it be feasible (or wanted) to uniform them so an external controller can control all the modules?

Just use your AU host to map them to whichever midi CCs you prefer.

• @burns_audio said:
    Will spend some time on that dead voice issue. Might try writing a fuzzer that just spams MIDI notes and detects when a voice stops making audio, although it seems related to parameter changes as well.

Just got the dead voice issue to happen while I was screen recording, will PM you the video. It seems like switching the algorithm to chord mode killed some of the voices.

• edited August 2019

I'd like to see the MIDI CC assignment for Timbre changed to something other than 10, as this conflicts with Track panning in Garageband. LFO Rate and Panning also both seem to be assigned to CC 18 within Spectrum.

(7 also conflicts with Track Volume, but remotely controlling the Pitch knob is not so important to me. Also, just in case you've forgotten, the CC Map in the documentation is now out of date.)

Love the latest update!

• @mogue said:
    I'd like to see the MIDI CC assignment for Timbre changed to something other than 10, as this conflicts with Track panning in Garageband. LFO Rate and Panning also both seem to be assigned to CC 18 within Spectrum.

(7 also conflicts with Track Volume, but remotely controlling the Pitch knob is not so important to me. Also, just in case you've forgotten, the CC Map in the documentation is now out of date.)

Love the latest update!

Wah

• @mogue said:

Love the latest update!

You can switch to disable midi cc and assign your own midi cc to parameters currently.

• anyone else finding that midi mappings of Algorithm, Harmonics, Timbre, and Morph aren't saving in AUM? (the first subfolder of exposed parameters) As far as I can tell the other mappings are all good, but those first four need to be remapped each time I open a project.

also: while I really like the more organized approach of using subfolders for the parameters in AUM, it's not always intuitive to find what you're looking for (for example the two subfolders titled "main"

• edited August 2019

@palm said:
    anyone else finding that midi mappings of Algorithm, Harmonics, Timbre, and Morph aren't saving in AUM? (the first subfolder of exposed parameters) As far as I can tell the other mappings are all good, but those first four need to be remapped each time I open a project.

also: while I really like the more organized approach of using subfolders for the parameters in AUM, it's not always intuitive to find what you're looking for (for example the two subfolders titled "main"

Hey man, what ios are you currently on? I agree the second tier on the main folder could be removed and expose all the parameters.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@palm said:
    anyone else finding that midi mappings of Algorithm, Harmonics, Timbre, and Morph aren't saving in AUM? (the first subfolder of exposed parameters) As far as I can tell the other mappings are all good, but those first four need to be remapped each time I open a project.

Hey man, what ios are you currently on? I agree the second tier on the main folder could be removed and expose all the parameters.

• @palm said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@palm said:

I have the same issue on iospad beta.

• edited August 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@mogue said:

Love the latest update!

You can switch to disable midi cc and assign your own midi cc to parameters currently.

Is this possible in GarageBand?

I also just noticed @burns_audio saying there were no MIDI CC changes, so maybe the differences that I've noticed from the documentation are a bug.

I think it would at least make sense to adhere more closely to MIDI standard mappings, for example Volume on 7 and Pan on 10, if not avoiding those numbers entirely.

• I think a good idea here would be to use the 'Undefined' CC's as much as possible to avoid collisions...
    https://nickfever.com/Music/midi-cc-list

• edited August 2019

@mogue said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@mogue said:

Love the latest update!

Is this possible in GarageBand?

I also just noticed @burns_audio saying there were no MIDI CC changes, so maybe the differences that I've noticed from the documentation are a bug.

I think it would at least make sense to adhere more closely to MIDI standard mappings, for example Volume on 7 and Pan on 10, if not avoiding those numbers entirely.

Yeah i know nothing about garageband and why/how it would send midi information to the app. I use AUM so i can just disable spectrum midi cc and assign midi cc myself and it works great... except for the recall bug 🐛 on 4 parameters. I agree that little default changes to make midi cc 7 for volume makes sense.