Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convolution reverb in Rooms! is now free

Comments

• The third beta (version 6.4 0.92) is out. It makes the parameters accessible to the host app. I also fixed a race condition which I think was responsible for occasional crashes (visible symptom: the app did not start reliably; sometimes the user needed several trials to get it running).

I received a crash report which happened during unpacking of a zip file. It seems that the zip file was broken in a way the SSZipArchive library cannot handle. There is a newer version of SSZipArchive, but I am reluctant to update because it contains very many changes, and the old version did so far work fine for me. For testing, it would be helpful if the user who has experienced the crash could supply the critical zip file.

Best regards,
    Markus

• @polaron_de Tried the update but while I'm able to see the parameters and can map them in AUM, the sliders are not moving on the screen. The right side of AU UI flickers when I move the parameters via midi control.

• edited August 2019

Does it work with GarageBand on the same device? Then I think I need to get AUM (or another host app that shows the same problem) for further testing.

• I could easily spend more money on host apps for testing than I will make revenue with the app extension, but AUM was a good investment. I think it is a better reference host than GarageBand.

But where are the host controls for the AU parameters? I see only a Dry-Wet control, which is the one parameter that I marked as an overview parameter, and this works well. I do not see host controls for the other parameters.

• Ah, you are talking about MIDI controls, don't you? These come in via an event list. I already have included code for that, but did not activate it because I've had no way to test.

• @polaron_de said:
    I could easily spend more money on host apps for testing than I will make revenue with the app extension, but AUM was a good investment. I think it is a better reference host than GarageBand.

But where are the host controls for the AU parameters? I see only a Dry-Wet control, which is the one parameter that I marked as an overview parameter, and this works well. I do not see host controls for the other parameters.

I think what you are seeing is the fact that Aum can assign only one au parameter to a manual control knob that sits next to the mix fader.. there should be a way to select one of yr other parameters there but its a while since i used Aum,, Apematrix may have been a better purchase as you see the whole list of parameters and can lfo all of them.. that said there may be more people actually using aum as its been around longer so might be the better choice for bug testing??
    i’ll have a poke around and see if i can recall how to select the other parameters for that knob..

• @RockySmalls said:

@polaron_de said:
    I could easily spend more money on host apps for testing than I will make revenue with the app extension, but AUM was a good investment. I think it is a better reference host than GarageBand.

I think what you are seeing is the fact that Aum can assign only one au parameter to a manual control knob that sits next to the mix fader.. there should be a way to select one of yr other parameters there but its a while since i used Aum,, Apematrix may have been a better purchase as you see the whole list of parameters and can lfo all of them.. that said there may be more people actually using aum as its been around longer so might be the better choice for bug testing??
    i’ll have a poke around and see if i can recall how to select the other parameters for that knob..

ah! its at the bottom of the channel.. if you long press on the channel name you get a window and down at the bottom is the parameters for yr Rooms plug in,, they are all there btw. :)

• edited August 2019

@RockySmalls said:

@RockySmalls said:

@polaron_de said:

ah! its at the bottom of the channel.. if you long press on the channel name you get a window and down at the bottom is the parameters for yr Rooms plug in,, they are all there btw. :)

you have to select the parameter in the list then press on that knob icon next to the RANGE 0%-100% tab. it will turn green

• @RockySmalls said:
    you have to select the parameter in the list then press on that knob icon next to the RANGE 0%-100% tab. it will turn green

Thanks, yes I know. I also managed to configure a draw knob of my Nektar keyboard in AUM and use it to control AU parameters via the event mechanism. This will be available in the beta 4 version.

• Nice, great news!

• Is there any way to organize the files within IR sets by name? At least for me that would be a huge help when importing larger collections into rooms.

Love the auv3 so far!!! Fantastic work!

• @polaron_de said:

Contact host developers. Most will provide coupon codes to plugin developers. While AUM
    is probably the best single reference, AU/host issues vary from host to host. You will want Auria Pro, Cubasis and Nanostudio in your test bed along with GarageBand and AUM.

• I have learned a great deal from devnotes.kymatica.com/auv3_parameters and happily paid something back by purchasing AUM.

Version 6.4 is now waiting for the Apple review. Thanks for your comments on the beta. I hope most points are addressed in the 6.4 release. Those that are not have to wait for a later version.

Markus

• Cool! Adjusting parameters in AUM was working for me in latest beta. Congrats on release.

• It turned out that the AudioUnit IAP is currently not available in the release version. My guess is that it was deactivated when I stopped the beta test. Well, I made it available again in App Store Connect. Still it does not show up, not even after a waiting time. I opened a support case in App Store Connect. To be continued...

• Love the new sorting options for the IRs! The auv3 sounds great and isn’t too taxing on the cpu. This is a good one!

• @ohwell said:
    Love the new sorting options for the IRs! The auv3 sounds great and isn’t too taxing on the cpu. This is a good one!

Thank you for giving me the idea for the sorting function. Concerning the IR handling / sorting, I implemented some speed optimisations in the release version compared to the last beta, but better stay at the beta at least until the AudioUnit IAP problem is sorted out. The IAP is still not available, and I am still waiting for response from Apple support.

• edited August 2019

@polaron_de Thanks for this release! @flo26 @McD the AUv3 IR loader is here! Tellallurfriends

• I don't know why, but now the AudioUnit IAP is shown in the App Store app, and it is available in the app. It is still not visible at the page https://apps.apple.com/app/id572894725 with Safari on macOS, but that may change, too.

On a related note: The "View in App Store" function in Rooms! 6.4 does not work. The developer screwed up the creation of the App Store URL.

• edited October 2019

@polaron_de said:
    The price of the Convolution Reverb in-app purchase in https://apps.apple.com/app/id572894725 has dropped to 0. This includes using the reverb via Audiobus or IAA. The plan for the upcoming version 7.0 of the app is to introduce a new in-app purchase which makes the convolution engine available via AUv3.

Best regards,
    Markus

Good afternoon, U.K time.

I deleted the Rooms app and reinstalled it and
    now the Convolution in App purchase has gone.
    Is it possible to reactivate it and if so how?

Edit. Thank you in advance.

• @Gravitas said:

@polaron_de said:
    The price of the Convolution Reverb in-app purchase in https://apps.apple.com/app/id572894725 has dropped to 0. This includes using the reverb via Audiobus or IAA. The plan for the upcoming version 7.0 of the app is to introduce a new in-app purchase which makes the convolution engine available via AUv3.

Best regards,
    Markus

Does the AUv3 in-app purchase work reliably?

And how does the latest version look as an AUv3?
    I can't see it in the AppStore screenshots.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

@polaron_de said:

Best regards,
    Markus

The IAP worked fine for me. The AUv3 aesthetic is very much like the standalone's. Simple and functional.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

@polaron_de said:

Best regards,
    Markus

In my experience, yes. However, the usual Apple stupidity applies. I purchased the IR IAP on the iPad. When I opened Rooms! AU on the iPhone, it said I needed to do the IAP purchase in the standalone. So I went there and hit the Purchase/Restore button. Apple, as with other apps, makes you go through the whole process just as though you are being charged, then at the very end informs you that you already purchased it. but this is only after it looks for all the world like you are being charged. That's Apple though, not anything wrong with the app.

Not the prettiest app, but gets the job done.

Note: some of the controls that affect the AU can only be managed from the standalone. I'm not sure why that's the case, and it led me to think that these controls weren't there. But they are.

• Aah good, thanks a lot @wim and @espiegel123 👍🏼

• @rs2000

I don't know.
    I wasn't impressed by it.
    I used it in IAA not Auv3, a misunderstanding on my part for sure.
    I couldn't get on with the interface.
    The file organising didn't make sense,
    the interface is not the most pleasing to the eye
    and it kept on coming up with an error.
    You can see how it looks without purchasing it when you
    run it as an Auv3 in AUM for instance, it simply won't process sound.

I deleted Rooms soon after this thread got on it's way.
    Nothing personal, it simply isn't one of my go to tools.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

File management is fine for me. Don't care how it looks as long as it works. And it's universal, as opposed to Impulsation. For that reason alone it gets more use since I can freely alternate between iPhone and iPad.

But yeh, ugly, and it bugs me when developers use super-low contrast color choices. Dark red on black background? Why?

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

I don't know.
    I wasn't impressed by it.
    I used it in IAA not Auv3, a misunderstanding on my part for sure.
    I couldn't get on with the interface.
    The file organising didn't make sense,
    the interface is not the most pleasing to the eye
    and it kept on coming up with an error.
    You can see how it looks without purchasing it when you
    run it as an Auv3 in AUM for instance, it simply won't process sound.

I deleted Rooms soon after this thread got on it's way.
    Nothing personal, it simply isn't one of my go to tools.

For me, it has worked great. The process of getting IRs into it is slightly clunky BUT, so far it is the only app I have that lets me use true stereo IR pairs which I am enjoying since I have a few AltiVerb IRs on desktop that I've wanted to use in iOS and now I can.

• @wim said:
    File management is fine for me. Don't care how it looks as long as it works. And it's universal, as opposed to Impulsation. For that reason alone it gets more use since I can freely alternate between iPhone and iPad.

But yeh, ugly, and it bugs me when developers use super-low contrast color choices. Dark red on black background? Why?

I haven't gone for Impulsation yet and I may not.
    If Rooms was a set and forget app then I wouldn't be bothered
    as it isn't the gui starts to become irksome.

I also have no idea why some developers choose their colour schemes.
    That is one of my bug bears with Jens Guells apps but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    If he could state save the colour slider then I would be so happy.
    But I think that's a limitation of Auv3's not the developers for sure.

Both developers should have a chat with some gui designers,
    and as we know the simpler the gui the less strain on the system
    I like AUM's approach of using vectors.
    Minimum gui usage, maximum cpu and memory availability.

As iOS matures as a music system unless Apple does something silly,
    I think it will attract more gui designers who will invest into the environment.

Also methinks that some of the indie developers
    could communicate between each other better.

• @espiegel123 said:

The process of getting IRs into it is slightly clunky BUT, so far it is the only app I have that lets me use true stereo IR pairs which I am enjoying since I have a few AltiVerb IRs on desktop that I've wanted to use in iOS and now I can.

That was my point about the filing system.
    Clunky.
    Thank you for finding the appropriate description.

Now that I didn't know.
    I'll redownload it and start again.

Though I love the sound of Altispace the developer is concentrating
    on his synths and he has a new app coming out later this year
    so it's a bit of a dead end at the moment.

I like the Jens Guell apps, I like his approach as much as anything else.

Though Rooms is ,'functional', looking, true stereo is the one.
    Also he's a straight communicator no phaff.

• @Gravitas : for some apps , the cost of paying a graphic designer would exceed any additional revenue the nicer GUI would bring. For me, if an app does what it does well and the functionality is something I need, I don't hold the u.i. against it.