Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain: The Missing Manual

edited August 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

I made a tutorial for Tardigrain, the granular synth from Erik Sigth.

'Tardigrain' is a pun on tardigrade, which is the name given to a near-microscopic animal typically found grazing on moss or lichens. 'Tardigrade' is Latin for 'slow stepper', which seems a pretty apt name for a granular synthesizer.

Tardigrades are known colloquially as moss piglets, or water bears, from the original German kleiner Wasserbär. They were in the news recently because the Israeli moon lander Beresheet was carrying a bunch of them when it crashed into the moon in April. Tardigrades are virtually indestructible, so they are almost certainly still alive.

Originally conceived as a contender for the Lunar X Prize, the Beresheet lander was known as Sparrow until shortly before its launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 in February 2019. Just saying.

Comments

• edited August 2019

Thank you for your time, Mark. I enjoyed your video tutorial and look forward to checking out the rest of your 'Synth Stuff' on YouTube. All the best!

• @MarkH said:

'Tardigrain' is a pun on tardigrade, which is the name given to a near-microscopic animal typically found grazing on moss or lichens. 'Tardigrade' is Latin for 'slow stepper', which seems a pretty apt name for a granular synthesizer.

Tardigrades are known colloquially as moss piglets, or water bears, from the original German kleiner Wasserbär. They were in the news recently because the Israeli moon lander Beresheet was carrying a bunch of them when it crashed into the moon in April. Tardigrades are virtually indestructible, so they are almost certainly still alive.

Originally conceived as a contender for the Lunar X Prize, the Beresheet lander was known as Sparrow until shortly before its launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 in February 2019. Just saying.

weird coincidental wheels within wheels!! sparrow, tardigrades, granular au plugins now stranded on the moon!
    i wouldn’t be surprised to hear they crashed the lander into the Schrödinger crater!!

• @MarkH said:

Thank you! Out of SpaceCraft, Quanta and Tardigrain, this one was always my least intuitive that I struggled most with in order to get some good vibe going.

• @RockySmalls said:
    weird coincidental wheels within wheels!! sparrow, tardigrades, granular au plugins now stranded on the moon!
    i wouldn’t be surprised to hear they crashed the lander into the Schrödinger crater!!

I found it hard to resist introducing this as 'a tutorial for the granular Sigth' B)

• Hawkwind t-shirt!

Nice to have a tutorial for this one, it’s been a bit neglected by me since I bought it.

• @MarkH said:

Amazing. Thank you very much.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Hawkwind t-shirt!

Nice to have a tutorial for this one, it’s been a bit neglected by me since I bought it.

Exactly, exactly, precisely.

Thank you!

• Thanks so much have been puzzling over this app!

• Enjoyed using this last night, wish they’d sort out the user sample import though, it’s a real faff. Got some great sounds from it though.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Enjoyed using this last night, wish they’d sort out the user sample import though, it’s a real faff. Got some great sounds from it though.

You can add samples like this ...

• @[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Enjoyed using this last night, wish they’d sort out the user sample import though, it’s a real faff. Got some great sounds from it though.

I can't, when I click the icon next to the sample display it only gives me the option to paste audio, if it's copied.

How did you do that?

• @MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

I can't, when I click the icon next to the sample display it only gives me the option to paste audio, if it's copied.

How did you do that?

I made a video for you 👍

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h4v7uq3hvo4tbh/RPReplay_Final1566300374.mov?dl=0

• @[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

You can add samples like this ...![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/mj/elrhvmhllb39.

Amazing thanks. It’s better and faster technique

• @[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

How did you do that?

I made a video for you 👍

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h4v7uq3hvo4tbh/RPReplay_Final1566300374.mov?dl=0

Ahh...clever stuff - thanks Trevor!

• @Hkor @MonzoPro 👍 i learnt this method from master @Samu

• edited August 2019

I'm still puzzled by some aspects of Tardigrain and there's no indepth manual to dig into so...
    What does this little circled icon do?

Apparently sets the loop point when recording....

• @Samu said:
    I'm still puzzled by some aspects of Tardigrain and there's no indepth manual to dig into so...

I mentioned that from about 27:00 in my video. It looks like some kind of over-dub feature.

• @MarkH said:

@Samu said:

I mentioned that from about 27:00 in my video. It looks like some kind of over-dub feature.

Thanks, also I think I've found a bug. If one sets the dacay time to 0.00 it get's 'stuck' to the vertical attack line and can no longer be moved...

• @[Deleted User] said:
    @Hkor @MonzoPro 👍 i learnt this method from master @Samu

Ah ok, thanks @Samu too!

This is a bit of a revelation to me now. I've had this app since release but never really got into it, but realised it's capable of some massive sounds, and having that file browser open really helps the workflow. Good stuff!

• @MonzoPro said:
    Ahh...clever stuff - thanks Trevor!

Just checked the app and noticed that I have imported some user samples... no idea how I did that. I just know that it didn't envolve the files app...🙃

• edited August 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @Hkor @MonzoPro 👍 i learnt this method from master @Samu

Ah ok, thanks @Samu too!

This is a bit of a revelation to me now. I've had this app since release but never really got into it, but realised it's capable of some massive sounds, and having that file browser open really helps the workflow. Good stuff!

I think Tardigrain is really special. If you put some nice samples into it, Tardigrain can add musical granularity to the sound.

• ELSA by the same developer still remains as one of my favourite AUv3's :)
    (I created a custom INIT patch that removes all the effects and stuff so the sample plays as is when imported).

• edited August 2019

Can you post me that patch please Samu? Tardigrain could do with an initial patch too. A MPE factory patch would be handy for Tardigrain.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Can you post me that patch Samu? Tardigrain could do with an initial patch too. A MPE factory patch would be handy for Tardigrain.

I'll see if I can find a good way to share patches from the ELSA AUv3...(They are not exposed to Files.app).
    And there seems to be no way to share/sync presets between stand-alone an AUV3 :(

But in short zero everything Envelope(except sustain level), LFO, Reverb, Bit Crusher, Filter, Disable the Arp, Disable Pitch Length compensation and loop and set keygroup to use one sample for all octaves and notes and set gain to taste at 100% playing multiple notes at once can cause clipping.

After that it's just a matter of loading the init, record a sample or drag'n'drop it to the elsa window, adjust the envelope to taste and enjoy :)

• edited August 2019

Hmmm, seems to be a crash-fest with my Tardigrain session tonight.

First it crashed when I loaded a third AU instance (in AUM), and when reloaded they’d all lost the samples and settings I’d used. Then two of them were stuck with zero decay. Reloaded the samples and it crashed again, before crashing a third time, for who knows what reason, and then I gave up. CPU meter says it was at 35 - 40%.

I think this is one to record solo into my desktop DAW, I can’t cope with flighty AU behaviour.

• @MonzoPro said:

First it crashed when I loaded a third AU instance (in AUM), and when reloaded they’d all lost the samples and settings I’d used. Then two of them were stuck with zero decay. Reloaded the samples and it crashed again, before crashing a third time, for who knows what reason, and then I gave up. CPU meter says it was at 35 - 40%.

I think this is one to record solo into my desktop DAW, I can’t cope with flighty AU behaviour.

Shame about that 😔 i never use more than one instance due to the ios ram limits.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

Shame about that 😔 i never use more than one instance due to the ios ram limits.

Yeah, probably the reason. I had another go and it didn’t crash this time, and after ejecting/reloading the stuck instance that started working again too, but I’ll stick with just one or two instances from now on.

• @MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeah, probably the reason. I had another go and it didn’t crash this time, and after ejecting/reloading the stuck instance that started working again too, but I’ll stick with just one or two instances from now on.

Spacecraft i stick with two instances max, that app is solid but still i don't trust ios to push it further. I wonder if there could be a way the host like AUM could indicate RAM usage?

• Does anyone know if it's possible to get Tardigrain to respond to Velocity? It's not one of the inputs available in the modulation menu.

BTW, I found you can set a filter (LP/HP/BP) manually. There is an X/Y pad in the modulation menu and it's active even if you don't assign the filter to any modulation source. Not sure why it's here instead of on the main screen.

• Just been going through all my old 5 minute doodles when testing ios apps... one way back from Tardigrain

volume a bit low

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0vsl6r86xkuhh2/Tardigrain-trimmed.wav?dl=0