Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

4 AUM Tips | TheAudioDabbler

Comments

• Loving your videos my man. Keep it up :)

So... I didn’t want to bring this up on your YouTube comments or Discchord, but point #2 seems off to me. As far as I understand bus sends in AUM, the order of the send makes no difference actually on the processing of the audio. If AUM had “inserts” then that would be different, because the signal would go out and come back to the original channel. But that’s not how the AUM sends work, unless I’m missing something (which I can attest I am missing many things, just not sure about this particular thing).

• Thanks for you videos!

For Effect sends, should those be set as post or pre? I always get those mixed up. Thanks!

• edited August 2019

@Hmtx said:
    Loving your videos my man. Keep it up :)

So... I didn’t want to bring this up on your YouTube comments or Discchord, but point #2 seems off to me. As far as I understand bus sends in AUM, the order of the send makes no difference actually on the processing of the audio. If AUM had “inserts” then that would be different, because the signal would go out and come back to the original channel. But that’s not how the AUM sends work, unless I’m missing something (which I can attest I am missing many things, just not sure about this particular thing).

The order of sends doesn't matter, if you only use send nodes. It makes difference if there's a track fx between sends or depending on your pre/post configuration.

@gmslayton said:

👍

One tip I would add, just because I often see people say AUM doesn't recall midi routings on project load. You just have to make sure that the midi port available when routings loaded, to do that:

• make sure all previously assigned hardwares attached before loading project
    • arrange your midi tracks / virtual midi sources, so they are in front (somewhere to the left) of their destinations. Since AUM loads tracks from left to right, this way you force AUM to load midi sources first.
      Edit: I'd swear it used to help fixing midi troubles on load.
  • @Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks for you videos!

For Effect sends, should those be set as post or pre? I always get those mixed up. Thanks!

Depends what you want to achieve.
    In most cases post - meaning, signal sent to bus, post volume fader, which makes sense when used with f.e reverb or delay on the bus channel, because if you f.e drop the volume on your source track (dry signal), you would want your wet signal to drop as well.

Pre is useful f.e if you need submixes or using effects on bus channel that are sensitive to dynamics/gain like f.e distortion, compressor etc.

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks for you videos!

It depends what you wanna achieve. Try the following: create a channel, put a soundsource on it (synth, audio etc) and set the fx slot to mixbus 1. create another channel an assign mixbus 1 to it and put a fx in it (eg. a reverb) and set it to 100% wet. Now head back to your synth channel strip, mute it and play around with post and pre within your „send to mixbus 1“ slot.

If set to pre you should hear the sound of your synth but only through your reverb. If set to post you should hear no signal at all.

Within pre mode you can only control the amount of volume/gain of the signal with the small circular fader left of it. No matter whether you have muted your signal or not, no matter whether your channel fader is set to 0 dB or - xy. The volume of the the signal sent will stay the same.

If set to post the channel fader will also have an impact of the signals send channel. If set to 0db the signal processed on your mixbus will be louder than if set to -20db.

Pre (-fader): your big channel fader has no impact because the send signal will be routed to the mixbus before it passes the channel fader.

Post (-fader): your big channel fader will change the Volume of the Signal you are sending to the mixbus.

Edit: recccp was faster. :)

• Thanks guys!

Insert effects on the channel or or post?

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks guys!

Edit: Deleted because my answer was wrong. :smile: Sry but I am way too tired from work right now discussing signal path pre & post further with you guys.

This won’t be helpful at all right now. I don’t wanna confuse anybody. Maybe recccp will chime in again. :smile:

Heck I’m getting old...

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks guys!

Doesn't matter in most cases.
    But same principle applies. Depends how hot signal you want to send into your fx and where in the chain you want to have control over your gain.

• Thank you both !

• Just got an ipad pro...and curious about some aum parameters readings.

Project: Sunrizer with an ez Modulator ,sequence midi driven by Atom. ( Motu M2 audio interface)

Dsp says 60%

Audio session: sample rate 44100
    buffer size 256
    buffer duration 5.80ms
    device Input latency: 1.02ms
    roundtrip latency 14.17 ms

output latency 1.54ms
    compensation 0.00ms
    total 1.54ms

For this setup...is that dsp appropriate ?

• @Sergiu said:
    Just got an ipad pro...and curious about some aum parameters readings.

Project: Sunrizer with an ez Modulator ,sequence midi driven by Atom. ( Motu M2 audio interface)

Dsp says 60%

Audio session: sample rate 44100
    buffer size 256
    buffer duration 5.80ms
    device Input latency: 1.02ms
    roundtrip latency 14.17 ms

output latency 1.54ms
    compensation 0.00ms
    total 1.54ms

For this setup...is that dsp appropriate ?

Is this the newest Pro? You need to take into account that the Pro models in particular can require some more load in order to kick them out of CPU throttling. My workaround is to always keep a window with RE-1 open (even if not connected to anything). For some reason that seems to prevent throttling completely and reduce the DSP reading consistently (and thus prevent audio dropouts)

• yes, 2019 pro. Thank you....is there any reason why RE-1? is that app ligt on cpu?

• @Sergiu said:
    yes, 2019 pro. Thank you....is there any reason why RE-1? is that app ligt on cpu?

2018 but yeah it's the same I have. I honestly have no idea, my very wild guess is that the UI animation adds steady CPU load (as opposed to regular audio-driven CPU load which comes in bursts), and that is enough to prevent throttling altogether. At some point I tried the same thing with other plugins, but I don't remember which now, since use RE-1 pretty much all the time.