Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to remotely control *any* iOS app!

13»

Comments

• edited July 2019

@TheDubbyLabby I think you have to set GarageBand itself, to have Ableton Live behavior on clip launch:

Tap on loop grid settings on lower left corner then select your loop (you can select multiple loops by holding one loop and tap on other loops to apply a setting on all selected loops), then tap settings and set play mode on retrigger. To stop a loop, midi learn a blank loop slot like the green circled one on the upper right corner, this will stop any loop in the row.

Scenes also have those play mode settings.

Let me know if that works, I will try myself later.

• edited July 2019

@Janosax said:
    @TheDubbyLabby I think you have to set GarageBand itself, to have Ableton Live behavior on clip launch:

Tap on loop grid settings on lower left corner then select your loop (you can select multiple loops by holding one loop and tap on other loops to apply a setting on all selected loops), then tap settings and set play mode on retrigger. To stop a loop, midi learn a blank loop slot like the green circled one on the upper right corner, this will stop any loop in the row.

Scenes also have those play mode settings.

Let me know if that works, I will try myself later.

I will check but I think it has been setup like this since it works with the finger but makes something strange when I use the recipe way. Could you share the button config and recipe (gadget) for just two buttons? Maybe it's something related to Garageband against Gadget as you point...

I'm going to look into your advice and check if I'm silly xD

Edit: if I put in Launch/stop mode it works as expected but I'm still intrigued by the fact it works sightly different from finger to recipe in the retrigger mode... when I use just the finger it makes a rettriger but when I use the recipe since it makes stop the first row sometimes (like missing touches or ghost touches). I set firstly one single tap and it didn't work... then double tap and work but this way... ATM IDK if I has single or double tap but changing the mode made it work... I'm nuts XD

Thanks mates! You are amazing! <3

• edited July 2019

@TheDubbyLabby that works perfectly with GarageBand here, another GREAT use of that @rs2000 trick !!!!

Here are some settings (same as those in the first post of this thread):

:smile: Don’t forget to record gesture in fullscreen :smile:

• yeah all seems ok so maybe it's related to recording gesture (tap vs double tap) against trigger mode.

Thanks a lot to clear things so I can figure by myself what I'm doing wrong.

<3

• edited July 2019

@TheDubbyLabby I forgot to mention: I didn’t even used retrigger mode, but default play/stop mode. And I record a single tap (very short) gesture in fullscreen mode (wait for 10s until recording is finished). My 7 Plus is under iOS 12.3.1.

@rs2000 do you know if that works with virtual port too? I use a custom script in MidiFire for my BlueBoard for multiple taps.

Edit: answer is no, virtual ports don’t work :-(

Also, is there a way to add new gesture to a recipe? It seems that there is no add option.

• edited July 2019

@Janosax said:
    @TheDubbyLabby I forgot to mention: I didn’t even used retrigger mode, but default play/stop mode. And I record a single tap (very short) gesture in fullscreen mode (wait for 10s until recording is finished). My 7 Plus is under iOS 12.3.1.

@rs2000 do you know if that works with virtual port too? I use a custom script in MidiFire for my BlueBoard for multiple taps.

I have not tried but you can always enter multiple taps, swipes etc. as one gesture!
    I've done this when mapping the little Bluetooth game controller to my iPhone navigation system for use on the motorcycle.

• edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@Janosax said:

I have not tried but you can always enter multiple taps, swipes etc. as one gesture!
    I've done this when mapping the little Bluetooth game controller to my iPhone navigation system for use on the motorcycle.

Nice use :smile: lot of things are possible. BlueBoard will still be limited to 4 physical buttons even with complex gestures. MidiFire allows me to send various midi notes or CC with single, double, triple, hold, etc physical buttons taps. 24 actions with 4 buttons. But I will not be able to use it with switch control. For now I’m more interested in real-time composition in Gadget with NKS, but gigging with GarageBand with a pedalboard while recording sax is interesting too, perhaps a pedalboard with more buttons will be needed if it’s worth it. Have to experiment :smile:

• @Janosax said:

@rs2000 said:

@Janosax said:

Nice use :smile: lot of things are possible. BlueBoard will still be limited to 4 physical buttons even with complex gestures. MidiFire allows me to send various midi notes or CC with single, double, triple, hold, etc physical buttons taps. 24 actions with 4 buttons. But I will not be able to use it with switch control.

Does that still feel intuitive? :D

For now I’m more interested in real-time composition in Gadget with NKS

Interesting! What would you like to achieve?

• @rs2000

Yes it’s still intuitive. I don’t use all 24 actions, only 14 :smile: Actions are organized, button 1 and 2 for backing loops triggering + effects switching on those loops, button 3 for looper actions (rec/overdub, play/stop, delete, reverse, undo, redo) , button 4 for effects switching on the sax.

My goal with Gadget or any other app (I also use Grouptheloop beta on iPhone) is to create a song in real-time, then improvise the sax, create sax loops, trigger instrumental loops to create a real-time arrangement while playing. BlueBoard mostly for trigger loops/looper/effects and Nanokey Studio to play/record drums, bass, keys and leads.
    Gadget is really super efficient in loop mode for that kind of stuff, ideal with a prepared set to build something without stopping music. The ability to use scenes switching/record triggering with switch control was what was missing for me. I will perhaps need to buy a new pedalboard with more buttons because of virtual ports limitation.
    GTL is another possibility. It’s already a killer looper with unique features. It’s also very challenging to loop on the groups with the sax, a whole new experience really, XXL looping!! I’m also experimenting how to record various AU from Audiobus inside GTL for real-time composition but I find harder to not use midi quantize at some point, especially on drums and bass parts. And if I use midi at a stage, I have to record midi loop then record audio in GTL, these are too much steps for real-time composition IMO, which is hard enough of a challenge in itself. BTW GTL doesn’t need switch control as it has nice midi control options.

Need to experiment all of this for quite a while :smile:

• edited July 2019

@Janosax said:

Thanks, that's kind of info I need it. In fact it worked properly when all of this has been done. <3

@Janosax said:
    For now I’m more interested in real-time composition in Gadget with NKS, but gigging with GarageBand with a pedalboard while recording sax is interesting too, perhaps a pedalboard with more buttons will be needed if it’s worth it.
    Have to experiment :smile:

@Janosax said:
    @rs2000

Yes it’s still intuitive. I don’t use all 24 actions, only 14 :smile: Actions are organized, button 1 and 2 for backing loops triggering + effects switching on those loops, button 3 for looper actions (rec/overdub, play/stop, delete, reverse, undo, redo) , button 4 for effects switching on the sax.

My goal with Gadget or any other app (I also use Grouptheloop beta on iPhone) is to create a song in real-time, then improvise the sax, create sax loops, trigger instrumental loops to create a real-time arrangement while playing. BlueBoard mostly for trigger loops/looper/effects and Nanokey Studio to play/record drums, bass, keys and leads.

That was my old idea (with keytar/beatboxing/sample slicering... but...

GTL is another possibility. It’s already a killer looper with unique features. It’s also very challenging to loop on the groups with the sax, a whole new experience really, XXL looping!! I’m also experimenting how to record various AU from Audiobus inside GTL for real-time composition but I find harder to not use midi quantize at some point, especially on drums and bass parts. And if I use midi at a stage, I have to record midi loop then record audio in GTL, these are too much steps for real-time composition IMO, which is hard enough of a challenge in itself. BTW GTL doesn’t need switch control as it has nice midi control options.

Need to experiment all of this for quite a while :smile:

...but I ended just using all of this as backtrack for singing/playing over. Maybe a bit of looping (vocals or some easy stuff) to show to the audience where I came from but not true necessity at all. Music first, gimmicks later could be my mantra.

So I'm a bit excited finally Garageband capable of mini-Ableton-esque performance but I have GTL (release for iPhone is going to be a huge improvement) and also my Digitech trio+ which deserves more love from me and also puts that extra stability/simplification point that hardware forces.

• edited July 2019

Also Gadget can’t do all of this alone, as there is no looper with overdub capabilities in gadgets. So that means using it with other looper app for at least sax stuff. That means latency. Using GTL or any other looper with Audiobus and various AU also means latency. Using real-time monitoring with effects on the sax, latency has to be lower than 128. BTW GTL is incredibly stable and crackle free at 64 buffers, better than all other apps in that regard, I can certainly feel the difference in sax rhythmic playing. I try my best to do everything on the iPhone only as part of the challenge, but I will perhaps need a second iDevice, one for sax one for real-time composition, with different latency settings. Then if using Gadget on one and GTL on the other, I will have to sync scenes and groups triggering, another whole tricky techy topic :smile:

• edited July 2019

@TheDubbyLabby yeah that’s so personal you know, each one of us know why he like to do things in music. Having fun doing them is the most essential, no universal rules here. What is true for you is not necessarily too for others. Gimmicks give me inspiration in playing sax in a more musical way. Always feel free in music :smile:

• edited July 2019

@Janosax said:
    Also Gadget can’t do all of this alone, as there is no looper with overdub capabilities in gadgets. So that means using it with other looper app for at least sax stuff. That means latency. Using GTL or any other looper with Audiobus and various AU also means latency. Using real-time monitoring with effects on the sax, latency has to be lower than 128. BTW GTL is incredibly stable and crackle free at 64 buffers, better than all other apps in that regard, I can certainly feel the difference in sax rhythmic playing. I try my best to do everything on the iPhone only as part of the challenge, but I will perhaps need a second iDevice, one for sax one for real-time composition, with different latency settings. Then if using Gadget on one and GTL on the other, I will have to sync scenes and groups triggering, another whole tricky techy topic :smile:

Yeah I see you... in fact GTL for iPhone means iPad for backing track loops in GarageBand/Launchpad/Gadget whatever... but again I feel a bit overwhelmed about all... just simplifying my songs until 4 stems (for GTL) or use Prime and forget about live looping (but mess with song parts since it has multitrack support and cue from midi) so and so...

I'm just last days wondering and wondering... (need to build myself half of the setup isn't helping in my mood...) but just an instrument, a backtrack device, foot control and a playlist should be enough... it must to be! (screaming at myself for therapy concerns)

XD

• edited July 2019

@Janosax said:
    @TheDubbyLabby yeah that’s so personal you know, each one of us know why he like to do things in music. Having fun doing them is the most essential, no universal rules here. What is true for you is not necessarily too for others. Gimmicks give me inspiration in playing sax in a more musical way. Always feel free in music :smile:

Yes that's why I said my mantra. I know everyone has its needs and goals. I see myself in the past but I know my present isn't your future per se. I try to be:
    half paternalist
    half GFY
    and
    100% GFmyself about loopers xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Just sharing sadness not trying to convince anyone... if you are happy go for it bráhs!

<3

• At least amazing to have friends like you to share/ask. When I started live looping 16-18 years ago I didn't have anyone to ask. Just research and research on Ableton forums and messing with wanky loopstations...

• edited July 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    At least amazing to have friends like you to share/ask. When I started live looping 16-18 years ago I didn't have anyone to ask. Just research and research on Ableton forums and messing with wanky loopstations...

I was on Ableton Live version 1 too. The concept was there. I agree it’s cool GarageBand gains extended capabilities with switch control, that trick is just amazing. BTW, GTL is even more powerful than Ableton Live for pure looping IMO, pretty unique app.

• Agreed. I love how GTL is growing as app...

• edited August 2019

New to this thread. Thanks to @Hmtx for pointing me to this and thanks to @rs2000 for making it known and writing the tutorial. I think it's going to change my life!

• edited August 2019

@blowhole2 said:
    New to this thread. Thanks to @Hmtx for pointing me to this and thanks to @rs2000 for making it known and writing the tutorial. I think it's going to change my life!

I'm happy to hear that! Good luck!
    Note: The current iOS 12.3.1 and 12.4 versions do accept both MIDI Notes and CCs when learning a new external switch, but only MIDI Notes will actually work. So this bug is not fixed by Apple yet.

I recommend using a different Recipe for each app and properly plan ahead which functions to control on which screen because some gestures might overlap and have a different effect on a different screen. Including a "menu switch" or "screen switch" gesture in the recipe can help making gestures more distinct. Another field for creativity :smiley:

• Annoyingly this doesn't seem to work that well anymore. I can only create a single tap switch. If I create another one with a different midi note it delete's the first. This is on 17.3.1

• @broppie said:
    Annoyingly this doesn't seem to work that well anymore. I can only create a single tap switch. If I create another one with a different midi note it delete's the first. This is on 17.3.1

I've never tried double taps ... did it work on earlier iOS versions?

• @rs2000 said:

@broppie said:
    Annoyingly this doesn't seem to work that well anymore. I can only create a single tap switch. If I create another one with a different midi note it delete's the first. This is on 17.3.1

I didn't mean double taps, I meant it won't let me create more than one switch if it's a tap one.

• @broppie said:

@rs2000 said:

@broppie said:

I didn't mean double taps, I meant it won't let me create more than one switch if it's a tap one.

😮
    Can you please report this to Apple?
    They don't usually respond but it will usually get fixed anyway, the faster the better.

• @rs2000 said:

@broppie said:

@rs2000 said:

@broppie said:

😮
    Can you please report this to Apple?
    They don't usually respond but it will usually get fixed anyway, the faster the better.

Will do. Maybe it's just a bug on my pad somehow. Would be good if someone else could check with 17.3.1.

• Just realised there's a workaround (or I wasn't setting up correctly originally). When choosing switches you don't just have to select 'tap', you can select the other types (select item, move to next item etc) but still give them custom tap gestures. That way you can have multiple tap switches.

• @broppie said:
    Just realised there's a workaround (or I wasn't setting up correctly originally). When choosing switches you don't just have to select 'tap', you can select the other types (select item, move to next item etc) but still give them custom tap gestures. That way you can have multiple tap switches.

Good to know. Thanks for the update!
    Adding these remote control tap gestures is not for the faint of heart, but it's a powerful feature to control almost any app.