Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a way to make a complete song using AUM and AU’s

It feels like there is something missing. Is there not an AU that I can easily connect to AU’s running in AUM. Maybe something that can trigger scenes, something with a song mode? I haven’t been looking out much for the last 6 months so maybe I’ve missed something?

Edit: I guess it can be IAA as long as you can use it alongside AUM

Comments

• Not a single days passes that someone wouldn't ask for a scene triggering app / AU :smiley:
    For scene-based, ableton-like sequencing : no. But if you don't mind classic linear sequencer, there are many options. I would start with Xequence 2, that's probably currently the most advanced and most used sequencer for AUM.

• I agree, Xequence 2 is a great place to start. Modstep for a pattern / scene based approach (if you're up for the challenge of learning it, and don't mind that it hasn't been updated for a long time.)

Stagelight is a good hybrid, though not for working with AUM, but for hosting AU's within itself. It still has definite limitations though. No AU FX automation, no AU midi support, and midi-out is broken. But it's still the closest thing to Ableton-like workflow on iOS.

• I haven't tried, but Modstep (sending midi to AUM instead of hosting AUs) or Imaginando's LK with MIDI out seem like good alternatives for an Ableton-like workflow.

• Modstep is your best bet for a sophisticated pattern sequencer to be your meta controller. It's also great for its namesake: modulation.

If you don't need direct control of selecting pattern groups on the fly and want some randomness, Senode is great as a meta-sequencer. Senode is great for "controlled randomness" so you can, for example, have it select between a few different pattern options for your "verse", but always go to the same "chorus" patterns.

Finally, there are some Mozaic scripts that try to be this meta-sequencer. I haven't had time to try them out....

• @wim said:
    I agree, Xequence 2 is a great place to start. Modstep for a pattern / scene based approach (if you're up for the challenge of learning it, and don't mind that it hasn't been updated for a long time.)

Stagelight is a good hybrid, though not for working with AUM, but for hosting AU's within itself. It still has definite limitations though. No AU FX automation, no AU midi support, and midi-out is broken. But it's still the closest thing to Ableton-like workflow on iOS.

Unless I’m misunderstanding, stagelight definitely has au fx automation

• I'm exploring these:

Xequence 2 to gather and edit MIDI data into a complete song/composition
    Mozaic scripts to start/stop MIDI patterns to play AUM-loaded synths, with Xequence 2 capturing the MIDI data for later reuse. There's a bunch of step sequencers now written in Mozaic.

• Yup, Xequence.

• edited August 2019

Zequence 2 does look good but it’s linear, I was looked for clip launching. I’ve tried Modstep and LK, neither are great. I’m really surprised an AU MIDI Processor hasn’t been released yet for this. Looks like the Atom dev said he’d be working on one but reading through discussions this seems to have gone quiet.

• edited August 2019

No such thing as Zequence 2, but there's a similar sounding app that starts with an X

Maybe this Mozaic script can be used to launch something scene-like? Just a wild guess from the name of the script.

https://patchstorage.com/scenic-sequencer/

Tons of results when selecting "Sequencer" as a category
    https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/?search_query=&tax_platform=mozaic&tax_category[]=sequencer&tax_post_tag=&orderby=modified&wpas_id=search_form&wpas_submit=1

• @gregsmith said:

@wim said:
    I agree, Xequence 2 is a great place to start. Modstep for a pattern / scene based approach (if you're up for the challenge of learning it, and don't mind that it hasn't been updated for a long time.)

Unless I’m misunderstanding, stagelight definitely has au fx automation

You're right. My bad. I assumed that because the parameter's weren't reflecting the changes coming from my controller in the UI that they automation wasn't working. It does receive and record automation for AU FX. Good to know. :smile:

• @sdesign said:
    Zequence 2 does look good but it’s linear, I was looked for clip launching. I’ve tried Modstep and LK, neither are great. I’m really surprised an AU MIDI Processor hasn’t been released yet for this. Looks like the Atom dev said he’d be working on one but reading through discussions this seems to have gone quiet.

I think I understand what you’re after. I keep waiting for some kind of multi-out/multi-clip AU recorder/player but nothing yet.

• It's not the easiest to use but this is the idea I had behind Orchestra, a Mozaic script.

16 scenes
    each scene consists of 16 loops, one per each midi channel
    each loop is up to 16 bars long, and sends 1 midi event per bar. Use it for program changes, CC automation.

https://patchstorage.com/orchestra/

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/673365

• edited August 2019

I find krft to be almost perfect for this and completely underrated. I use it solely as a midi sequencer in conjunction with AUM and for launching sequenced midi scenes no other app compares imo, especially not anything hosted within aum.
    Pic related is my default template. Each of the colored cubes is a bank of sequences routed to separate aum channels, each segment of each cube being a sequence that can be as short or long as you wish it to be. You can add and edit as many parts as you like, it's very flexible, this is just what I start with. The triangles in the bottom left are routed to Patterning 2 so I can start/stop and advance forward and back between Patterning sequences. The bottom right oval is just a click track using a sample within krft to make sure it's in sync with aum.
    Using this setup is the closest I've found to using something like my digitakt. I can set everything up in aum, create sequences in patterning and krft then when ready to record I never have to leave krft and can trigger an endless number of sequences in whatever order I wish.
    I just wish it was still being updated, but even as it is I could be happy only ever using it and nothing else.

• edited August 2019

@lairdhenn said:
    I find krft to be almost perfect for this and completely underrated. I use it solely as a midi sequencer in conjunction with AUM and for launching sequenced midi scenes no other app compares imo, especially not anything hosted within aum.
    Pic related is my default template. Each of the colored cubes is a bank of sequences routed to separate aum channels, each segment of each cube being a sequence that can be as short or long as you wish it to be. You can add and edit as many parts as you like, it's very flexible, this is just what I start with. The triangles in the bottom left are routed to Patterning 2 so I can start/stop and advance forward and back between Patterning sequences. The bottom right oval is just a click track using a sample within krft to make sure it's in sync with aum.
    Using this setup is the closest I've found to using something like my digitakt. I can set everything up in aum, create sequences in patterning and krft then when ready to record I never have to leave krft and can trigger an endless number of sequences in whatever order I wish.
    I just wish it was still being updated, but even as it is I could be happy only ever using it and nothing else.

KRFT IS SO VERY UNDERRATED! NS2 is awesome with KRFT. The macro / AU param / midi cc setup of NS2 and the midi sending of KRFT... good lord... so good.... I wish I could split off a parallel dimension version of myself that just spent the next year working with only KRFT and NS2.

PS: havent thought of KRFT / AUM but now I need to take a quick look... Is there a way to assign AU params to midi cc in AUM?

• @AudioGus PS: havent thought of KRFT / AUM but now I need to take a quick look... Is there a way to assign AU params to midi cc in AUM?

This is very easy in AUM. Open an AU audio channel, click to edit and press the little faders icon. You should see parameters for each AU in that channel - choose a parameter and select the required cc number. Don’t forget to assign your MIDI source to the channel.

• @Trueyorky said:
    @AudioGus PS: havent thought of KRFT / AUM but now I need to take a quick look... Is there a way to assign AU params to midi cc in AUM?

This is very easy in AUM. Open an AU audio channel, click to edit and press the little faders icon. You should see parameters for each AU in that channel - choose a parameter and select the required cc number. Don’t forget to assign your MIDI source to the channel.

Oh hey! Didnt know the name of an AU was tappable, thanks for opening up a whole new portal!

• @AudioGus said:

@Trueyorky said:
    @AudioGus PS: havent thought of KRFT / AUM but now I need to take a quick look... Is there a way to assign AU params to midi cc in AUM?

Oh hey! Didnt know the name of an AU was tappable, thanks for opening up a whole new portal!

Woah... yah OK, I think KRFT and AUM could be an amazing combo now, particularly with two ipads. Hubba hubba...

• Great idea using KRFT together with AUM...will try it out by myself. :smile:

• Works great with AudioBus too, and makes app switching easier.

• @sdesign said:

Maybe try Gadget and the Taipei Gadget? You can only launch scenes and not individual clips and its not an au but you can definitely use it to sequence audio units in Aum. If you dont already have it I dont know if id buy it just for that alone but if you already have it give it a shot.

• edited August 2019

@AudioGus
    Confession
    I almost always wanna call you GusGus (damn you Disney - shakes fist)

Plea
    More please.

• 2021 and still not good, just bought 10 sequencers. Yes Xequencer 2 is close, but what if you want to use it together with Rozeta midi plugins and grooveboxes?

• @CyberLuke said:
    2021 and still not good, just bought 10 sequencers. Yes Xequencer 2 is close, but what if you want to use it together with Rozeta midi plugins and grooveboxes?

You can route Xequence to anything inside AUM, and anything inside AUM to Xequence (for recording) using AUM's MIDI Matrix (squiggly line button at top right). If you have a particular thing you want to do, let me know and I'll try to help!

• KRFT looks the best. kRFT plus Xeuence 2 would be the best solution, but KRFT is dead. Not available in EU app store.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    No such thing as Zequence 2, but there's a similar sounding app that starts with an X

Maybe this Mozaic script can be used to launch something scene-like? Just a wild guess from the name of the script.

https://patchstorage.com/scenic-sequencer/

Tons of results when selecting "Sequencer" as a category
    https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/?search_query=&tax_platform=mozaic&tax_category[]=sequencer&tax_post_tag=&orderby=modified&wpas_id=search_form&wpas_submit=1

Great idea. I was looking for something similar that allows multi cc on one button to trigger multiple mutes command. And each cc group assigned to a note so by drawing monophonic note change on a timeline of a sequencer will create a song arrangement.