Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TAQS.IM Synth v1.4: Makam, Raga & Western Scales + More Rhythms

Hi Everyone!

We just released v1.4 of our TAQS.IM iOS Synth

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/taqs-im-synth/id1457405203

Here are the main changes:
Added Preset Scale Browser - World, Makam & Raga Scales
Additional Rhythms and Variations - 32 Rhythms!
Re-written Real-Time Scale Converter
Show scale on the main keyboard
Fixed IAA Rhythm Crash
UI Updates and Minor Fixes

Here's the updated list of scales included:

• Beyati
  • Çargâh
  • Hijaz (Modern / Arabic)
  • Hijaz Ascending (Turkish)
  • Hijaz Descending (Turkish)
  • Hüseyni (Modern / Arabic)
  • Hüseyni Ascending (Turkish)
  • Hüseyni Descending (Turkish)
  • Huzzam
  • Kurdi (Arabic and Turkish)
  • Nihavend (Arabic and Turkish)
  • Rast (Arabic)
  • Rast Ascending (Turkish)
  • Rast Descending (Turkish)
  • Sabâ (Arabic and Turkish)
  • Natural Minor (classical/jazz ascending minor, aka Aeolian)
  • Harmonic Minor
  • Melodic Minor (classical/jazz descending minor)
  • Dorian (variant of Minor)
  • Phrygian (variant of Minor)
  • Major (aka Ionian)
  • Locrian (diminished type scale)
  • Lydian (variant of Major)
  • Mixolydian (variant of Major)
  • Raag Marwa (hexatonic)
  • Raag Bhairav (heptatonic)
  • Raag Bhairavi (similar to Kurdi)
  • Raag Pahadi (folk mode)

Here are the updated list of rhythms included:

• Baladi (Traditional / Modern)
  • Bandari
  • Beguine (Traditional / Modern)
  • Ciftetelli (Traditional / Modern)
  • Curcuna (Traditional / Modern)
  • Halay (Traditional / Modern)
  • Malfouf (Traditional / Modern)
  • Maksoum (Traditional / Modern)
  • Rumba (Traditional / Modern)
  • Syrto (Traditional / Modern)
  • Tsiftetelli
  • Zeibekiko
  • Yarkhustha
  • 6/4 (Traditional / Modern)
  • 6/8 (Traditional / Modern)
  • 7/8 (Traditional / Modern)
  • 9/8 (Traditional / Modern)

Comments

• Sounds very nice. I am interested with such kind of instruments but it is very important for me to have the possibility to host all my synths in AUv3 format as I am not using IAA anymore. Any chance you will implement this ?

• Yes... I may still buy it, but I don’t want to pay again when you create the AUV3 version. Please consider making that change.

• Hi @taqsim. I think you should explain the meaning of the name! (Been there many times!)

• Great sounds, but not many. :'( Needs AU3.

• It’s sample based?

• Are the scales in 12et, or do they conform to the folkloric intonations?

• @taqsim Hello there. Thanks for the update. Enjoying this in AUM. One question, can you tell me what BPM the drums are playing at (having trouble looping them etc). Thanks!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Are the scales in 12et, or do they conform to the folkloric intonations?

iTunes page says

"Learn about quarter tones and microtones found in Middle Eastern and Raga scales."

• Dev site says it's built on the Audiokit framework:

https://taqs.im/synth/

As we know, the Audiokit peeps just added AUv3 to D1 and are adding it to Synth One. Presumably this work will include changes to the Audiokit framework that will make it easier for 3rd party devs to modify their apps for AUv3 support.

There is also Audiokit Tuneup, which presumably is utilized in this app as well.

• edited August 2019

I’m having some glitches using it in AUM... I would only ever use it in AUM, so I can’t use it quite yet. Note sent to dev about a problem with notes being held even when the feature is off .

And when I switched back to it just now after writing this, it crashed. :(

I can’t seem to get it to work in AUM. It just continually crashes.

• Hi All! Like GovernorSilver said, it's built on the AudioKit framework - we're waiting for AUv3 to get implemented in AudioKit to implement it. GovernerSilver, like you said - the AudioKit instruments are starting to roll out with AUv3 so we're hopeful. It will be a free update.

In terms of the other questions, it is sample based and supports the real-time microtonal scale adjustment - along with being able to learn various scales through the presets it shipped with. On the scales keyboard, if you select the key it automatically detunes it -50 cents (quarter-tone). This is how "oriental" synthesizers work.

For the BPM, we're currently working on switching the rhythms to be adjusted by BPM and not by percentage. Here's the list in the meantime:

Anatolian
    - Ciftetelli Traditional - bpm: 82
    - Ciftetelli Modern - bpm: 82
    - Curcuna Traditional - bpm: 150
    - Curcuna Modern - bpm: 150
    - 7/8 Traditional - bpm: 120
    - 7/8 Modern - bpm: 120
    - 9/8 Traditional - bpm: 140
    - 9/8 Modern - bpm: 140

Caucasus
    - 6/8 Traditional - bpm: 120
    - 6/8 Modern - bpm: 120
    - Yarkhushta - bpm: 104
    - Bandari - bpm: 126
    - Rumba Traditional - bpm: 100
    - Rumba Modern - bpm: 100
    - Haley Traditional - bpm: 110
    - Haley Modern - bpm: 110

Mediterranean
    - Syrto Traditional - bpm: 77
    - Syrto Modern - bpm: 77
    - Tsiftitelli - bpm: 127
    - Zeibekiko - bpm: 120
    - 6/4 Traditional - bpm: 110
    - 6/4 Modern - bpm: 110
    - Beguine Traditional - bpm: 92
    - Beguine Modern - bpm: 92

Oriental
    - Ayoub Traditional - bpm: 100
    - Ayoub Modern - bpm: 100
    - Beledi Traditional - bpm: 110
    - Beledi Modern - bpm: 110
    - Maksoum Traditional - bpm: 125
    - Maksoum Modern - bpm: 125
    - Malfouf Traditional - bpm: 80
    - Malfouf Modern - bpm: 80

For the AUM issues, we are currently looking into it - that's our top priority. Thank you!

• Will this export scales in Scala format?

• I got a quick response from taqs indicating that they’re looking into the problems using it in AUM. Great support!

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

iTunes page says

"Learn about quarter tones and microtones found in Middle Eastern and Raga scales."

I've been ripped off before. It's a lot of extra work to tune each scale, and I'd like to know if the app contains the results of the necessary work or not.

• edited August 2019

@GovernorSilver said:

iTunes page says

I've been ripped off before. It's a lot of extra work to tune each scale, and I'd like to know if the app contains the results of the necessary work or not.

Fair enough. I checked out Doug's demo today and he doesn't try any of the microtuned scales. I haven't seen a video yet demoing the microtuned scales.

I'm sure I'll buy this app in the near future. If the scales don't sound microtuned as advertised, I'll report.

• edited August 2019

Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr and GovernerSilver - the real-time scale converter works. When you play Beyati the second is detuned a quarter-tone (-50 cents). You can see it in action in the app preview video in the app store. On the accompanying demo track you can hear it as well. The Sound Test Room video is from our initial version 1 and does not have any of the microtonality built in. Unfortunately you can not export the scales in scala format.

• Thanks for the info @taqsim
    Have plenty of options in Wilsonic and will take a look at this app once my wallet recovers!

• BlueGreen - no worries! Our app is modeled after the "Oriental-style" keyboards with real-time scale converters (e.g. Yamaha A-3000, Korg PA4X Oriental and the like).

• @taqsim said:
    Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr and GovernerSilver - the real-time scale converter works. When you play Beyati the second is detuned a quarter-tone (-50 cents). You can see it in action in the app preview video in the app store. On the accompanying demo track you can hear it as well. The Sound Test Room video is from our initial version 1 and does not have any of the microtonality built in. Unfortunately you can not export the scales in scala format.

Ragas are played in JI, with some notes adjusted. Each note in each raga needs to be tuned to the appropriate JI ratio for that particular raga.

• Currently on sale in the US for $5.99

• @taqsim Hi. Have been interested in this app since it came out. Two questions:

1. You said you were working on converting the rhythms to BPM. Any news?

2. In August you said that version 1.5 would introduce new sounds. App is still on version 1.4 - any news?

Thank you.

• how to change tempo to the right tempo with this dirty and not accurate knob?