Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elektron digitakt workflow

Is there any sequencer app that comes close to the specific workflow of the digitakt?

Toyed around with it, and its incredible how you can edit for example the synth parameters for a single note, or add some randomness to a note making it audible in for example 30% of all trigers..

Sadly i don’t have the cash right now for a digitakt, but there is allways room for another app..

Comments

• edited August 2019
  • As suggested GR-16 is the one that comes closest and when Drambo drops that'll be the app to aim for :D

• Try this video showing the techniques in action -

• Thanks will look into this..

• I have a feeling you’ll like Drambo.*

*when it finally comes out

• @SonicNeutronic said:
    Try this video showing the techniques in action -

I learned a ton in this video! Groove Rider really is a great app.

• A little more work to set up but Quantum has almost infinite amounts of per-step magic.

• edited August 2019

For step sequencing, StepBud is be best. All Quantum's magic in AU form.

• @auxmux said:
    For step sequencing, StepBud can't be best. All Quantum's magic in AU form.

Thanks.. didn’t know it developed that much.. nice..

• If you ever decide to go hardware, take a look at the Elektron Digitakt. It has a very similar workflow to a lot of the apps mentioned in this thread.

Oh wait.... ;)

• @auxmux said:
    For step sequencing, StepBud can't be best. All Quantum's magic in AU form.

StepBud is awesome but it doesn't really even approach that madness that is Quantum.

• @Tarekith said:
    If you ever decide to go hardware, take a look at the Elektron Digitakt. It has a very similar workflow to a lot of the apps mentioned in this thread.

Oh wait.... ;)

:)

If it only had MIDI Instrument definitions available in the sound browser, it would basically rule. Setting up each track and each control each time (short of copy/paste shenanigans)... it's a drag.

• StepBud and Quantum are both MIDI-only though, not sample-based.

• Patterning 2 almost completely replaces my Digitakt. You can load almost any sample into the 8 channels, and then those steps can have many of the same types of trig modifiers that the Digitakt has, and some that it doesn't, like the rotation of the steps, etc. I would give it a look.

• Lots of great recomandations.. lots of choice

Thats why i like the ipad so much

• edited August 2019

Drambo is going to be your friend here, believe me.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

If it ever ships ;)

• edited August 2019

I'm creating my own version of the Digitakt using a number of apps: AUM, Octachron, AudioLayer along with FX etc.

Ultimately, this will be faster workflow for me. Plus the fun of designing a solution with apps I already have and not buying something else. I have a Rytm MKI already. Progress below. I'm hoping to add more videos as I get further.

AUM is the mixer with midi mapping for hands on control as well as preset management.

Octachron for sequencing. It includes polyrhythms and velocity control, etc. In this video, I'm varying up hihat samples using velocity layers in AudioLayer triggered via Octachron. So, almost like P-locks in Elektron devices. You can also have 8 midi cc per track in Octachron.

I prefer StepBud for melodic sequencing, so that'll be a separate on another iPad i.e. Digitone companion.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

If it ever ships ;)

Not far now. Baring in might the subjectivity of the term 'far'.

• I am sold, the app is incredible fun

Anyone got some good advice for a midi pad comtroller?
    Looking into arturia beatstep now..
    I guess i might want some sliders too, 16 pads, 8 encoders, 8/9 sliders?

Any advice is welcome

• edited August 2019

@Bachus said:

I am sold, the app is incredible fun

Any advice is welcome

Digitakt? ;)

• @mistercharlie said:

@Bachus said:

Any advice is welcome

Digitakt? ;)

• edited August 2019

@syrupcore said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Bachus said:

Any advice is welcome

Digitakt? ;)

Haha.

@Bachus Glad to hear you’re having fun with GR-16. It’s a great app.

• edited August 2019

@Bachus said:

Any advice is welcome

It's really fast to change presets and/or MIDI channel on the Beatstep. Hit 'Recall' or 'Chan' and tap one of the 16 pads to recall a preset or switch MIDI channels. Dead easy/fast. And they're cheap used.

You could set up several presets; one for 16 vols, one for 16 pans, one for 16 sends, one for synth controls where you switch MIDI channels to control different tracks.

Or, one preset with the first few controls dedicated to volume, pan and send and the remaining ones for synth controls. Then, you just switch the MIDI channel on the BS to control a different track.

For MIDI channel based control (MIDI channel == target track), set MIDI In Mode to 'Poly'. Manual link

• edited August 2019

now with the updates, the model samples doesn't even need the hacks in this video

features are one thing, but when the workflow reaches the heights of a wonderful feature itself

• it's the small things that make me a lover of Elektron, like on the Model Samples you've got probability and trig conditions per step already, but even so they implemented the chance knob.... I don't know of another dev that would have done that and it makes a huge difference. Another thing is how the control all doesn't effect steps with trig conditions set on them.... another tiny thing that is so useful in production or live performance for making alternative melodies , arps and a host of other uses

• Dammit. Making me GAS for a model samples. A few on reverb for $315, shipped.

• @kobamoto said:
    it's the small things that make me a lover of Elektron, like on the Model Samples you've got probability and trig conditions per step already, but even so they implemented the chance knob.... I don't know of another dev that would have done that and it makes a huge difference. Another thing is how the control all doesn't effect steps with trig conditions set on them.... another tiny thing that is so useful in production or live performance for making alternative melodies , arps and a host of other uses

I don’t have the Modal Sample but I do have a few other Elektron’s, I have said it in another thread but they are super addictive. They really turned me back to a hardware person.

• @syrupcore said:
    Dammit. Making me GAS for a model samples. A few on reverb for $315, shipped.

yeah man I couldn't resist, running the model samples class compliantly through whatever on the iPad (turnado)/aum and monitoring back through the model samples is perfect especially when out on the go and wanting to sequence your iPad apps