Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Omnisphere for ipad replacement?

edited August 2019 in General App Discussion

Now i don’t think omnisphere will ever come to the ipad

But what sound app lets me use deep wavetable synthesis combined with high end multi layered sampled sounds and is able to create virtual analogish sounds.

Has a high end modulation matrix with a slew Of resources and many build in effects

Oh and granular synthesis on top?

I agree that sounds a bit over the top, but so far i haven’t been able to find that single sound design Valhalla app..

So wha would you advise me? (As long as we don’t have a full version of Synthmaster 3.0 yet on ipad)

Comments

• Would be nice, but not likely. Can you change the click bait discussion title please. Maybe just place a ?. ?

• with good Ipad (pro), AUM and few synths (layr, pure, mito) it could sound similar

• Gadget ? by having all tracks/Gadgets mapped to the same MIDI Input it becomes a massive synth with many synthesis options ;)

• edited August 2019

@gsm909 said:
    Would be nice, but not likely. Can you change the click bait discussion title please. Maybe just place a ?. ?

Ok, so that’s what ‘click bait’ is... Got me..🙂

• @gsm909 said:
    Would be nice, but not likely. Can you change the click bait discussion title please. Maybe just place a ?. ?

Wise words, check the new topic title

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Gadget ? by having all tracks/Gadgets mapped to the same MIDI Input it becomes a massive synth with many synthesis options ;)

That would go for AUM or Audiobus as well

But Omnisphere is more then just layering oscilators.. there are a lot of options for interaction between the layers/oscilators

Which doesn’t work in Gadget.. altough i love most of the gadgets and wish Korg would make all gadgets available as sepperate AuV3 units

• @MAtrixplan said:
    with good Ipad (pro), AUM and few synths (layr, pure, mito) it could sound similar

Same answer as for gadget, a 4 oscilator synth is something different then layering 4 oscilators.. there will be no interaction and shared stuff between the layers in AUM..

• Still leaves me with the question, which current ipad Synth comes closest to omnisphere?

• @Bachus said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Gadget ? by having all tracks/Gadgets mapped to the same MIDI Input it becomes a massive synth with many synthesis options ;)

That would go for AUM or Audiobus as well

But Omnisphere is more then just layering oscilators.. there are a lot of options for interaction between the layers/oscilators

Which doesn’t work in Gadget.. altough i love most of the gadgets and wish Korg would make all gadgets available as sepperate AuV3 units

Good point. I'll go back to sleep now :D

• In AUM you can build literally the same soundscapes as in Omnisphere... using multiple synths/fx processing and there can be interaction between layers via midi control.
    But: you have to set up all by yourself, while in Omnisphere you can browse a ton of presets ;) o:)

• Maybe Factory with its flexible modulation matrix, the wavetable synthesis, granular processing, FM and the rest?

Of course, it is still probably a far way off from Omnisphere (never used that one).

• The biggest challenge IMHO is the samples included in Omnisphere. We have great wavetable and subtractive synths but no available iOS ROMpler, be it SampleTank, Pure Synth or the GarageBand/Cubasis/Auria/Ns2 etc. factory samples comes close to what Omnisphere offers.
    Probably easier to sample your favorite Omnisphere presets into SF2 or EXS24 programs.

• I can't think of anything that comes close to Omni on iOS sadly.

• Only hope is that Eric P gets inspired to support iPadOS one day.

• @realdawei said:
    Only hope is that Eric P gets inspired to support iPadOS one day.

Personally i don’t see this happening any time soon, these huge apps seem to be to expensive for ipad, who would ever pay €100 for an app? Not many.. and nobody would pay €400 or more..

• @rs2000 said:
    The biggest challenge IMHO is the samples included in Omnisphere. We have great wavetable and subtractive synths but no available iOS ROMpler, be it SampleTank, Pure Synth or the GarageBand/Cubasis/Auria/Ns2 etc. factory samples comes close to what Omnisphere offers.
    Probably easier to sample your favorite Omnisphere presets into SF2 or EXS24 programs.

Din’t know pure synth platinum 2 yet... thanks for the tip
    Looks indeed like something very usefull

• Pure Synth Platinum 2 and D1 are the closest thing to rompler synths on iOS. They like Omnisphere are inspired by Roland's D50 and JV/XV line of synths, which Eric Pershing also worked on.

• Yes PSP2 probably your best bet.
    But a long way shy of Omnisphere (also long way shy of its price!!)

• @Bachus said:

@realdawei said:
    Only hope is that Eric P gets inspired to support iPadOS one day.

Personally i don’t see this happening any time soon, these huge apps seem to be to expensive for ipad, who would ever pay €100 for an app? Not many.. and nobody would pay €400 or more..

Not soon, but I would hope for a scenario where omnisphere’s massive library could be broken up into a series of epic IAPs. Maybe in 2 years or so

• I would second that there may not be a single synth but a combination of synths and effects in more of a modular synth fashion.

• edited August 2019

Closest thing was mentioned above, Mitosynth. Overlaps with another one from same dev, Grain Science. Throw in Crystal, by a guy that went on to work for the Omnisphere people.

In the case of Mitosynth, store your Omni-sized 50gb of sample files in the Files app or in app :)

Unfortunately all IAA only

• From the build your own simulacrum category.

SYNTHS
    I’d pick from the following:

Wave table
    WaveGenerator
    Most easy approach if you (really) want to understand the depth of wavetable synthesis.

Infinite
    Puts these sounds into a wider modulation context that's unique to PPG and not available in any other synth (at least in IOS).

Granular
    Quanta
    Spacecraft

*love mitosynth and many other apps but I’m trying to stay AU for easy of routing

Analogue
    Layr
    Only choice for this because of its mix of layered analogue sounds and it’s internal mixing and routing of sounds

Rompler
    AudioLayer
    BS-16i
    Beathawk

Put the in ape matrix to blend/transition between the voices with the built in oscillators.
    Use FX routing inside ape matrix or use mobius lab.

Want to draw curves to modulate stuff try CC PAL by HAPPY CODING UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
    There are other but this one is 99¢

• you wanna emulate Omni.... take all of the other apps listed in the thread and throw Synthtronic on top of it all. workflow, and fun is another story.

• @auxmux said:
    Pure Synth Platinum 2 and D1 are the closest thing to rompler synths on iOS. They like Omnisphere are inspired by Roland's D50 and JV/XV line of synths, which Eric Pershing also worked on.

I wouldn’t call the omnisphere a rompler
    It probably has the most versatile synth engine of all software
    A rompler is a sample based instrument used to play presets with minimal user edditing options

• @Bachus said:

@auxmux said:
    Pure Synth Platinum 2 and D1 are the closest thing to rompler synths on iOS. They like Omnisphere are inspired by Roland's D50 and JV/XV line of synths, which Eric Pershing also worked on.

A rompler is a sample based instrument used to play presets with minimal user edditing options

A few years ago, I read an interview with Eric Persing where he bemoaned that so many people that use it, don't realize that it isn't a ROMpler. I think most people (even pros) get a synth and basically press buttons and turn knobs with little interest in what the buttons and knobs do or what a synth's architecture is.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Bachus said:

@auxmux said:

A few years ago, I read an interview with Eric Persing where he bemoaned that so many people that use it, don't realize that it isn't a ROMpler. I think most people (even pros) get a synth and basically press buttons and turn knobs with little interest in what the buttons and knobs do or what a synth's architecture is.

Well he puts so many amazing presets in there it overwhelms the rest of the product....you can have Omnisphere for years and never actually get through all the presets — most of which are instantly useable.

• @Bachus said:

@auxmux said:

Taking a look at architecture of Omnisphere and JV2080, they are very similar. Rompler isn't used negatively here, but by definition a synth with oscillators that are samples is a rompler. That term has been used by purists that way but yes both are great synths.

• @auxmux said:

@Bachus said:

@auxmux said:

Taking a look at architecture of Omnisphere and JV2080, they are very similar. Rompler isn't used negatively here, but by definition a synth with oscillators that are samples is a rompler. That term has been used by purists that way but yes both are great synths.

In addition to the "ROM" waveforms, omnisphere does other types of synthesis, too. It does FM, hard-sync, etc.

ROMpler generally implies that the "oscillators" are simply pcm players.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Bachus said:

@auxmux said:

I get what he said but bemoaning that many synth users are preset junkies is like criticizing that not everybody has the time, patience and interest to learn how to program a synth.
    I prefer creating my own presets over scrolling through endless lists but I can perfectly understand everybody who doesn't. And even I prefer to start from a preset that sounds similar to where I want to go, unless the synth has a huge preset chaos.
    Omnisphere has a great preset organization with categories / tags so even with 1000s of presets, it's quite possible to find what I'm looking for.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bachus said:

@auxmux said:

I get what he said but bemoaning that many synth users are preset junkies is like criticizing that not everybody has the time, patience and interest to learn how to program a synth.
    I prefer creating my own presets over scrolling through endless lists but I can perfectly understand everybody who doesn't. And even I prefer to start from a preset that sounds similar to where I want to go, unless the synth has a huge preset chaos.
    Omnisphere has a great preset organization with categories / tags so even with 1000s of presets, it's quite possible to find what I'm looking for.

In the end Omnisphere probably is anything you want it to be..

You want it to be a module with 1000’s of presets.. it works great for you

You want it to be your go to source for sound creation.. it works oerfect for you

You want it to be your live gigging maschine.. add any keyboard and rock around the clock

Espescially with the addition of keyscape, it can be everything a keyboardist denands with the exception of organ simulation.. playing it from my Nord stage 3 also solves that..