Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Save Patterns In Fugue Machine?

Is there a way to save created patterns in FM? I waited a long time to get this app. It is much more versatile than I had imagined. I may be spending a lot of time with it. Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2019

Just press on the '+' in the standard presets zone. You will then be able to record your pattern. To be noted that it will only be available on a per host base (AU limitation)

• Thank you @cuscolima! That is great.

• edited August 2019

Hey, just want to point out that you can move patterns between instances/hosts/standalone via copy/paste.

To copy/paste in the AU:
    Go to Fugue Machine's More Menu, scroll down, and hit copy or paste.

To copy/paste in the standalone:
    Go to More Menu > Patterns, and swipe-right.

Since this uses iOS's universal Pasteboard, you can copy/paste between instances in the same host, different hosts, between standalone and AU, and even between different devices. So, for example, you could come up with patterns on your iPhone in the standalone app, then copy/paste them into a host on your iPad.

• edited August 2019

Thanks, @Alexandernaut. So great to be in direct contact with the dev. My requests... a longer loop and ability to draw different note values. Wonderful machine! Thank you.

• @cuscolima ... dumb question! How do I get to the screen you are showing?

• edited August 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @Alexandernaut. So great to be in direct contact with the dev. My requests... a longer loop and ability to draw different note values. Wonderful machine! Thank you.

Thanks for the requests :]. And just to be sure, you can currently change the Loop Length to up to 8 measures. This parameter is a slider located at More Menu > Loop Length.

Also, what do u mean exactly by "draw different note values"?

Lastly, did you start this post because you were interested in saving patterns within the standalone app? If so, the way to do that is...
    1. Go to More Menu > Patterns
    2. Tap the "Save To" button in the bottom toolbar
    3. Tap the slot you'd like to save the pattern to.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any more questions.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @cuscolima ... dumb question! How do I get to the screen you are showing?

First, open Fugue Machine (I assume you have loaded the AU version in AUM), then simply press here

• @LinearLineman said:

You can have up to 8 bars, but since you also set playhead speed, you can get longer phrases as compared to your song's tempo / meter. Granted this reduces the resolution of your shortest notes, so if you want lots of measures full of short notes, that might not work. But I would argue that isn't the most successful way to use Fugue Machine.

When you place a note you can drag right and set the length. There are also gestures for lengthening, moving, copying and adjusting velocity for individual notes or groups of notes (selected by bounding box or individually).

• @cuscolima, I don’t use AUM. I routed thru Audiobus into Cubasis.

• @Alexandernaut - I use FM frequently and love it. Here is a track I made w/ it:

Feature Request: Can we get swing someday? Much love...

• @Alexandernaut said:
    Hey, just want to point out that you can move patterns between instances/hosts/standalone via copy/paste.

Came to here to say this.

Also, I believe that the number of presets for an AU are only limited by memory. So, you can combine Fugue Machine banks (128 presets per bank) in AUM, for example. Nothing is sadder than realizing you have a preset in another bank that complements one the current bank. (work around longer FM patterns and then brace four bars and move the brace around).

The 128 presets per bank limitation is the only thing I wish I could change, other than the absence of a Tip Jar, so we can reward Alex more for his genius.

• @Alexandernaut MIDI CC control of each device's parameters would be amazing. 🙏

• @Alexandernaut .... my first FM track with a lead soprano line from iSymphonic on top.

• @Alexandernaut said:

Thanks for the requests :]. And just to be sure, you can currently change the Loop Length to up to 8 measures. This parameter is a slider located at More Menu > Loop Length.

Also, what do u mean exactly by "draw different note values"?

Lastly, did you start this post because you were interested in saving patterns within the standalone app? If so, the way to do that is...
    1. Go to More Menu > Patterns
    2. Tap the "Save To" button in the bottom toolbar
    3. Tap the slot you'd like to save the pattern to.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any more questions.

thank you!

• @Alexandernaut, the lengthening Of notes is limited, no? You can’t draw a 16th note, for example.
    Sorry if my understanding is limited here. Also, for saving you have to highlight a slot first... is that correct? If you make a pattern then highlight a slot the pattern is lost.

I figured out how to use Audiobus to record the individual playheads. 👍

I just can’t seem to get to the screen @cuscolima shows above. CHow do I open it in the standalone, please?

Also, should I be able to open FM in Cubasis as an AU? Thanks!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Alexandernaut, the lengthening Of notes is limited, no? You can’t draw a 16th note, for example.
    Sorry if my understanding is limited here. Also, for saving you have to highlight a slot first... is that correct? If you make a pattern then highlight a slot the pattern is lost.

I just can’t seem to get to the screen @cuscolima shows above. CHow do I open it in the standalone, please?

The window @cuscolima showed is the AUM preset list. In the standalone, tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner. Then tap on Patterns.

FM is available in Cubasis as a MIDI Effect.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Alexandernaut, the lengthening Of notes is limited, no? You can’t draw a 16th note, for example.

The default grid is a 1/16th note. You have to drag to make something longer.

But, of course, the played length of the note is dependent on the speed of the playhead. That 1/16th note on the score only plays as a 1/16th note if your playhead is set to a speed of x1. Set the playhead to x2 and you hear them as 1/32nd notes. Set the playhead to /2 and you hear them as 1/8th notes, etc.

At the fastest playhead speed (8x) with 8 bars in Fugue Machine, you get 1 bar of "real, song time" with up to 1/128th notes.
    At the slowest playhead speed (/64 dotted) it will take 768 measures of "real, song time" to traverse those 8 Fugue Machine measures (and the fastest note will take 6 real measures of song time to complete)

Which version? Stand-alone, select Save (to write over the current preset location) or Save To to allow yourself to select a different location. In either case you're given the name dialog to set the name and either write or cancel.

For the AU versions, it uses the Host save system, so it depends on what you're using.

@cuscolima showed the AUM preset manager. If you're not using AUM it doesn't apply.
    In Audiobus open the Preset Manager (the box right above the keyboard in the middle) and press Save. Then enter the name.
    In the stand-alone version, press the three dots in the top right corner and then the Patterns sub-menu.

• @Aplourde, thank you very much. You know your stuff! The note length explanation was terrific.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Aplourde, thank you very much. You know your stuff! The note length explanation was terrific.

You're welcome. I have a great fondness for Fugue Machine. It's an incredibly well designed and "playable" sequencer that really invites you to explore how a simple motif can be re-contextualized into a full piece of music.

• @aplourde, indeed! You can really improvise in real time with it. That was a surprise. Have you posted any FM tracks? Please do!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @aplourde, indeed! You can really improvise in real time with it. That was a surprise. Have you posted any FM tracks? Please do!

Well, since you asked ;)

I have a couple of other FM tracks waiting in the wings; just need to find time to record them....

• edited August 2019

Really excellent @aplourde. seems like a lot of planning and setup went into the first. Your patterns are simple but you get a lot out! I will post a screenshot of Blue Fugue for you. You'll laugh! Rs2000 sent me some piano roll pictures in Cubasis. I guess you could do that with FM as well. And the videos are very interesting.

• @cuscolima said:
    Just press on the '+' in the standard presets zone. You will then be able to record your pattern. To be noted that it will only be available on a per host base (AU limitation)

How do you mean with "record". You mean that I can record patterns from let say a virtual or connected keyboard into fugue?! How if it´s so?!

• @aplourde.... can you make a Shepherd's Tone with FM?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Really excellent @aplourde. seems like a lot of planning and setup went into the first. Your patterns are simple but you get a lot out! I will post a screenshot of Blue Fugue for you. You'll laugh! Rs2000 sent me some piano roll pictures in Cubasis. I guess you could do that with FM as well. And the videos are very interesting.

Thanks. There's a bit of planning but it's also improvisation; I've developed some strategies for working with Fugue Machine so I know how to structure phrases, know what the playhead relationships are and can then spend time playing it.

Really, the music comes together rather quickly, it's the orchestration of other elements, performing and capturing to video that takes time! But that's my trip; I got tired of trying to compose songs on the computer, I wanted to have the feeling, for myself, of performing, but since I don't have time to practice on real instruments, I play sequencers; and then I want the presentation of the results to be half-decent!

@LinearLineman said:
    @aplourde...lol!

Awesome! I tend to focus on short phrases with unidirectional curves so I know how different playheads will work and can build up or drop down the section. I really should try out more chordal, harmonic approaches.... but my proclivity is towards pop music sensibilities and traditional song structure.

• Yeah, I don’t have any concept when I start out. This started with a single note and I kept going till it was enough. I know i’ll Always have weird spots when improvising. Just now starting to fool with midi correcting, but I accept the rough edges as part of the fun. I am trying something now more along your lines.

Is there a way to halve those drawn notes? I don’t mean by doubling the speed. I think on the onboard patterns there are. Have to look again. Fun to talk about this app!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Is there a way to halve those drawn notes? I don’t mean by doubling the speed. I think on the onboard patterns there are. Have to look again. Fun to talk about this app!

You mean change the duration from, say, 1/4 note to 1/8th note (a)? Or split a 1/4 note into two 1/8th notes (b)?

Not directly: if all your notes are the same length, you can select all notes with a bounding box and use the 3 finger pan to shorten the notes to half their length and get (a).

If you then press the Option button and use a 2 finger pan you can create copies of the notes and place them after for (b).

Just remember that the smallest grid is 16th note, and length changes are in steps of 1/16th note. So trying to do this with notes that are of different lengths won't work right. Also, if your notes are uneven multiples of 1/16th note you can't halve them.

• Thanks @aplourde. These things run deep as always!

• @marcuspresident said:

@cuscolima said:

How do you mean with "record". You mean that I can record patterns from let say a virtual or connected keyboard into fugue?! How if it´s so?!

No sorry, I have used the wrong word. I meant "save" your pattern.

As far as I know, there is unfortunately no midi in. This would be great !