Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PhaseDelayArray by Neon Silicon (FREE)

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1472910992

PhaseDelayArray is an Audio Unit, or AU, for iOS. This application is simply a container for the Audio Unit and also serves as the documentation for the AU. PhaseDelayArray must be used in some sort of Audio Unit host or DAW application.

PhaseDelayArray is a bit of a strange effect. O.K, so, what is it? PhaseDelayArray has three effect units chained together in an interesting configuration, and one of these units is just a little bit twisted. The first unit consists of a sequential array of vibrating (oscillating) reverberation sections. The oscillations can be tiny or huge. The reverb depth can be tiny or huge. The overall effect can be subtle or HUGE. It can create a wide range of sounds. The second section is a modulation unit. It takes the output of the PhaseDelays and whips it around, or up-and-down or back-and-forth. The final section is a feedback unit with the possibility of a lot of delay (up to 2 seconds). The mix section allows you to tap into all this strangeness in four different places. PhaseDelayArray can be used in mono-to-mono, mono-to-stereo, or stereo-to-stereo settings. Several of the features work best with a stereo output.

Comments

• Sounds pretty cool from the description

• Oooo a quick 2 min play (only checked 3 presets so far) ... and it sounds pretty cool indeed! Wonder why it's free? Easily worth a couple bucks. Awesome!

• Amazing and free thanks to the dev and @White for bringing it to our attention.

• amazing plug and free!:)
    thank you!

• Very nice app Neon Silicon - thank you!

• Ah. The guy(s) who gave us CuSnP, which is also free. Weirdness, yummy yummy weirdness.

• Hi and thanks for all the nice comments!

To answer the question as to why it's free, everything I've put out so far is a port of AU's I wrote a long time ago for OS X. Since I've moved my own personal live audio playing over to iOS, I wanted to have these to use for myself. Also, I've been doing this to experiment with the App store and programming on iOS. So, so far at least, basically a learning experience for me.

• @NeonSilicon Thank you for these wonderful gifts!

Man, all these apps are super powerful for being free. I'm impressed, sir, and having a ball over here. Keep up the excellent work.

• @NeonSilicon
    is there any chance to share with us the osx plugs too!?
    especially PhaseDelayArray...:)
    thank you sir. fantastic tools!!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:
    Thank you for these 4 wonderful effects and dynamic processors. Cannot believe that they are free.

GyroVibe and PhaseDelayArray combine multiple effects into one intuitive effects plugin. Can get wild too.
    And if you like the resonator in Mutable Instruments Rings and Elements (or Spectrum AU), then CuSnP is worth a look.

https://apps.apple.com/developer/neon-silicon/id1409314093

They are all great FX.
    Awesome!!!

• @waka_x said:
    @NeonSilicon
    is there any chance to share with us the osx plugs too!?
    especially PhaseDelayArray...:)
    thank you sir. fantastic tools!!!!

It's not really possible to release the old OS X AU's for these. The code is old enough that it won't compile under current versions of Xcode.

With the new compatibility with UIKit on the upcoming release of macOS though, it might be reasonable to port the iOS plugins back to macOS. I'm actually looking into this now with the beta builds of macOS and Xcode. It's looking pretty doable.

• Has anyone been able to control the parameters of any of these AUs (PhaseDelayArray, GyroVibe, etc.)?
    I can assign controls to them, but they don't seem to have any effect.

@NeonSilicon Wonderful little effects and thank you for releasing them; it would be fantastic if they could be automated!

• @NeonSilicon thank you so much for these great plugs!

• @aplourde said:
    Has anyone been able to control the parameters of any of these AUs (PhaseDelayArray, GyroVibe, etc.)?

@NeonSilicon Wonderful little effects and thank you for releasing them; it would be fantastic if they could be automated!

At this point, none of my effects respond to MIDI to parameter mappings like in AUM. All of the parameters are exposed to the host, so a host could directly automate the parameters, but I don't know if any iOS hosts do this.

The reason they don't respond to the MIDI automation is because I haven't implemented the AU parameter event interface in my AU's. I haven't added this to them because for most of the parameters, the results aren't very satisfying. The AU's I have out so far use SIMD processing pretty heavily. This doesn't mix very well with ramping parameter changes because the data is processed a frame at a time with all the filter coefficients or delay parameters set for the whole frame.

Having said that, I have actually added MIDI to parameter mapping to LRC5, PhaseDelayArray, and GyroVibe for the versions that I have in testing. It works fine with mapping some parameters and not great with others. Linear mapping of a MIDI CC (0 to 127 in steps) with controls that are designed to be, or naturally are, nonlinear like frequency or volume level in dB is pretty rough. Right now, I am leaning towards releasing these versions and letting people decide for themselves if they want to use the results. It doesn't really impact the effects in any negative way outside of the parameter automation.

I'm also working on a set of AU's right now where the whole point is parameter automation and MIDI CC control, hopefully those will be more fun to use this way.

• Nice! Looking forward to the updates and new apps. @NeonSilicon Had fun recently putting PhaseDelayArray on hihats.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@aplourde said:
    Has anyone been able to control the parameters of any of these AUs (PhaseDelayArray, GyroVibe, etc.)?

At this point, none of my effects respond to MIDI to parameter mappings like in AUM. All of the parameters are exposed to the host, so a host could directly automate the parameters, but I don't know if any iOS hosts do this.

The reason they don't respond to the MIDI automation is because I haven't implemented the AU parameter event interface in my AU's. I haven't added this to them because for most of the parameters, the results aren't very satisfying. The AU's I have out so far use SIMD processing pretty heavily. This doesn't mix very well with ramping parameter changes because the data is processed a frame at a time with all the filter coefficients or delay parameters set for the whole frame.

Having said that, I have actually added MIDI to parameter mapping to LRC5, PhaseDelayArray, and GyroVibe for the versions that I have in testing. It works fine with mapping some parameters and not great with others. Linear mapping of a MIDI CC (0 to 127 in steps) with controls that are designed to be, or naturally are, nonlinear like frequency or volume level in dB is pretty rough. Right now, I am leaning towards releasing these versions and letting people decide for themselves if they want to use the results. It doesn't really impact the effects in any negative way outside of the parameter automation.

I'm also working on a set of AU's right now where the whole point is parameter automation and MIDI CC control, hopefully those will be more fun to use this way.

Maybe use non-linear response for parameters that are naturally non-linear?

• edited August 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@aplourde said:

That would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't get to control this. The mapping of the MIDI input to the parameter control is done by the host. The controls in the UI are non-linear and the parameters are tagged as non-linear (eg, dB, Hz, or fader) so that hosts like GarageBand will use them correctly in their generic UI, but I don't think this is being used by hosts for the MIDI to parameter automation stuff.

• @auxmux said:
    Nice! Looking forward to the updates and new apps. @NeonSilicon Had fun recently putting PhaseDelayArray on hihats.

Cool! The original demo samples for PDA were percussion that a friend recorded for me. You can get some fun stuff with drums through extreme delay effects.

• Dude, this is bad ass right here!!
    Thanks man!!
    Can't believe it's free 😲

• @NeonSilicon said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@aplourde said:

That would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't get to control this. The mapping of the MIDI input to the parameter control is done by the host. The controls in the UI are non-linear and the parameters are tagged as non-linear (eg, dB, Hz, or fader) so that hosts like GarageBand will use them correctly in their generic UI, but I don't think this is being used by hosts for the MIDI to parameter automation stuff.

You might want to contact @Michael , @j_liljedahl or @brambos to see if they can share some knowledge about this. I recall seeing a discussion in the past about correct setting of flags forming-linear response.

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@aplourde said:

You might want to contact @Michael , @j_liljedahl or @brambos to see if they can share some knowledge about this. I recall seeing a discussion in the past about correct setting of flags forming-linear response.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe they are using the "display" parameter flags to set this. I'll do some playing around with it. Thanks for the hint!

• edited August 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@aplourde said:

Yep, the display parameter flags do actually do the trick, at least in AUM they do. Now all I have to do is figure out the right combination of flags for every parameter I have. The available flags probably won't yield exact matches to what I have internally, but I'm guessing they'll be close enough.

Thanks again for the tip @espiegel123.

Edit: Well, I spoke a bit too soon. It seems to only respond to one mapping and that one isn't quite right. Looks like I haven't found the magic combination yet, but there is progress. It does look like it's at least possible. It could be that things are just a bit broken because I'm working in the betas of Xcode and iPadOS.

Anyway, there should be an update coming fairly soon for the AU's that supports automation.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    Edit: Well, I spoke a bit too soon. It seems to only respond to one mapping and that one isn't quite right. Looks like I haven't found the magic combination yet, but there is progress. It does look like it's at least possible. It could be that things are just a bit broken because I'm working in the betas of Xcode and iPadOS.

Anyway, there should be an update coming fairly soon for the AU's that supports automation.

Thanks for the explanation. Certainly no expectations of perfect behavior, but any type of control would be appreciated!

• @reasOne said:
    Dude, this is bad ass right here!!
    Thanks man!!

Just wanted to say this again! Thanks for this effect!! I'm having a great time with it on layr synth, they are like bread n warm butter

• @reasOne said:

@reasOne said:
    Thanks man!!

Just wanted to say this again! Thanks for this effect!! I'm having a great time with it on layr synth, they are like bread n warm butter

Thanks for the comment. You made my day! I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying it.

• Thank you 😊 really looking forward to these 😁👍

• @NeonSilicon said:

@reasOne said:

@reasOne said:
    Thanks man!!

Thanks for the comment. You made my day! I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying it.

Absolutely man! It's very good and stands out as an original effect! I've never really used phase effects cuz never been able to get em to fit in my mix but this.... Just the default patch alone is sounding amazing

• edited August 2019

Just bumping this thread, because I'm digging this fx. Tremelo delay verb all in one and more. Also, now had MIDI cc/automation support. So much greatness, so free!

• @auxmux said:
    Just bumping this thread, because I'm digging this fx. Tremelo delay verb all in one and more. Also, now had MIDI cc/automation support. So much greatness, so free!

Thanks!

I've enabled MIDI parameter automation on all of my effects. But, they aren't optimized for this. Some parameters work great, some less so. So, "your milage may vary." It can definitely help to use the host's range limiter for the mapping to make some of these parameters more usable with MIDI CC, especially things like frequency parameters that have a large non-linear range.