Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FM Tines or FM player 2?

I loved FM Tines when it came out a few weeks back, and now FM player got upgraded! Both sound Amazing. I can’t seem to choose my favourite, although FM player does support midi program change, but FM tines seems to play a little nicer from my keyboard. I wondered if anyone had any technical knowledge over Ram or Cpu efficiency of them? I owned one of the first DX7’s in the UK. Cost me about £1,100 if I remember rightly in the early 80’s, now we have these amazing apps for next to nothing! Whats your DX7 preference app?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

FM Tines weighs in at over 10x the size (3.5gb) over FM Player (320mb), if storage space is any consideration.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

FM Player 2 currently has mixdown issues in some hosts.

• edited August 2019

Both have their positives and full of FM goodness, but depends on what you're looking for. Tines is primarily for Electric Piano and related sounds whereas FM Player covers a wider variety of (synth) sounds.

I like and have both, but I prefer KQ Dixie because it's the best emulation of an DX7 and it can load sysex patches of the original of which there are thousands plus you can design your own patches. Also, now you can stack parts for multi-timbral sounds.

• @wim, what hosts? I used FMP in Cubasis and the project went blooey.... froze up. Could that have been FMP?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, what hosts? I used FMP in Cubasis and the project went blooey.... froze up. Could that have been FMP?

NS2 rendering problems. Confirmed by @dendy to crash Cubasis. Other than that, I don’t know.

• Wow KQ Dixie - why did I not know about this - perfect! Most of my apps seem to be romplers now, using ram resources, this is great. Thank you @auxmux

@auxmux said:
    Both have their positives and full of FM goodness, but depends on what you're looking for. Tines is primarily for Electric Piano and related sounds whereas FM Player covers a wider variety of (synth) sounds.

I like and have both, but I prefer KQ Dixie because it's the best emulation of an DX7 and it can load sysex patches of the original of which there are thousands plus you can design your own patches. Also, now you can stack parts for multi-timbral sounds.

• The nice thing about FM Player 2 is the ease of getting to really great patches. As a test, last night I tried taking a few FMP2 DX patches that sounded good, and then diving into my huge library of DX patches in KQ Dixie to see if I could find the patch, or any that sounded as good. It took forever, and I was usually still much happier with the FMP2 patch.

I really love KQ Dixie, but find FMP2 as a great way to get results in less time. Sometimes that's what I need, and others I just want to mess with altering patches to taste. I'm glad I have them both.

• Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’m loving programming kq dixie and the very light cpu and its multi timbres is like putting a TX816 in my rig!

• For KQ Dixie, add some Eventide Blackhole👌

Totally, @rhaley re TX816 emulation. If only it supported FB01 and TX81Z patches, then I could sell some of my old racks. My TX802 is already jealous.