Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• edited August 2019

@_ki said:
    @bleep, @pejman

I will share the Cubasis project, when it's running without glitching :)

Thanks @bleep and @_ki
    @_ki Very thanks for explanation .
    i am waiting for your Cubasis project . 🙏 i hope that helps.

• I agree, @_ki, advanced scripts which require some routing is better suited for hosts that are more flexible than Cubasis.

• @brambos , thank you for all your hard work!
    Is it possible to use mozaic to send midi to different audio instruments in audiobus? And how if possible?
    For example I want to play one midi track on multiple audiounits simultaneously

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@clowm said:
    @brambos , thank you for all your hard work!
    Is it possible to use mozaic to send midi to different audio instruments in audiobus? And how if possible?
    For example I want to play one midi track on multiple audiounits simultaneously

You don't need Mozaic for that. Just load multiple audio units in the output position.

Unless you mean you want them to respond to different MIDI channels. In that case you don't need Mozaic either, really, but you can use it. All you need is something like mfxStrip, which can filter out different channels. If you need screenshots or Audiobus presets for further help, then please give a little more detail what you're trying to do.

• @bleep and @pejman
    I posted the 'Multi Channel Midi routing and scripts' Cubasis project in another thread containing setup instructions

• @wim thank you! I didn’t know you can select one midi out for more then 1 audio ☺️

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@clowm said:
    @wim thank you! I didn’t know you can select one midi out for more then 1 audio ☺️

No problem. 👍
    The only thing is if you need to filter only certain channels for each app it gets trickier since Audiobus doesn’t have built-in filtering like AUM has. But, there are ways around that, such as by using the super-useful Midi Filter and Transpose Mozaic script by @_ki.

• @_ki said:
    @bleep and @pejman
    I posted the 'Multi Channel Midi routing and scripts' Cubasis project in another thread containing setup instructions

Thanks @_ki for help and explanation and nice project plan . Very nice 👍👍👍

• edited August 2019

Status update:

• Sysex is coming along nicely
    • Sending Sysex is working (including checksum handling)
    • Receiving Sysex is a massive pain, but it's getting there

:)

I'm considering keeping Sysex completely separate from the "normal MIDI" handling.
    i.e. sysex won't trigger an OnMIDIInput event and won't respond to SendMIDIThru etc.

It's just too cumbersome and different to include it. So it'll get its own OnSysex event.

• @brambos said:
    Status update:

• Sysex is coming along nicely
    • Sending Sysex is working (including checksum handling)
    • Receiving Sysex is a massive pain, but it's getting there

:)

I'm considering keeping Sysex completely separate from the "normal MIDI" handling.
    i.e. sysex won't trigger an OnMIDIInput event and won't respond to SendMIDIThru etc.

It's just too cumbersome and different to include it. So it'll get its own OnSysex event.

Cool!

• Regarding sysex, perhaps it's worth looking into what midi 2.0 might offer, preparing for the future. I see they mention sysex supporting json data for exchanging properties between devices.
    https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

• Been digging into Mozaic, and while I’m not sure what I want to code with it yet, the growing library of presets is really incredible.

I just discovered the Use Motion Sensors preset; that’s what I’ve been waiting for!
    It sends gyroscope info from to midi cc 13, 15 and 17.

I’m trying to send that midi data from AUM on my iPhone to AUM on my iPad via a Network Session in AUM. It all looks good except my iPad and iPhone won’t connect via Bluetooth!
    Anyone else ever try using Network Session with iPad and iPhone?

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

You don’t use Network Session with BlueTooth. Network session is for wireless, and it requires apps that support it. Timing is usually pretty bad over the network session in my experience. Bluetooth works well, though.

To use BlueTooth to go between iOS devices, go to the AUM settings on one of them and scroll down until you see the bluetooth midi settings. Select peripheral, then turn on Advertise MIDI Service. Now go to the AUM bluetooth settings on the other device and go to “Central”. You should see your other device. Tap it and wait for a few seconds and you should then see “Connected”.

Now go to the midi routing. You’ll see the other device as a routing source. Remember you need to route on both AUMs. For instance, on the phone you would route the iPad to the synth you want to play, and on the iPad you would route the keyboard or AU Midi app to the iPhone.

You may still want to keep WiFi on because Link operates over WiFi, not Bluetooth.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @winconway said:
    Can anybody modify @brambos round robin script for me, I need a note offset dial.
    So if it receives a C4 and it is set to two notes round robin it plays C4/C4# but if it receives a C4# it would then play D4/D4# and so on.
    Thanks for any help.

I can probably add it without too much trouble if I can find a moment

• @wim said:
    You don’t use Network Session with BlueTooth. Network session is for wireless, and it requires apps that support it. Timing is usually pretty bad over the network session in my experience. Bluetooth works well, though.

Thanks, that makes sense.

To use BlueTooth to go between iOS devices, go to the AUM settings on one of them and scroll down until you see the bluetooth midi settings. Select peripheral, then turn on Advertise MIDI Service. Now go to the AUM bluetooth settings on the other device and go to “Central”. You should see your other device. Tap it and wait for a few seconds and you should then see “Connected”.

This is where I’m hitting a block - when I iPhone link, it’s says Commecting, then Not Connected - it’s refusing the connection for some reason, probably a draconian Apple security protocol somewhere.

In fact I think I got a Network Session working yesterday, but today I’m only seeing it on AUM on the iPhone and it won’t show up on the iPad. They’re both on the same wifi network so not sure what the issue is. Hoping to figure it out though so I can use the phone as a wireless gyroscopic controller.

• @sketcherazzi said:

@wim said:

Thanks, that makes sense.

This is where I’m hitting a block - when I iPhone link, it’s says Commecting, then Not Connected - it’s refusing the connection for some reason, probably a draconian Apple security protocol somewhere.

In fact I think I got a Network Session working yesterday, but today I’m only seeing it on AUM on the iPhone and it won’t show up on the iPad. They’re both on the same wifi network so not sure what the issue is. Hoping to figure it out though so I can use the phone as a wireless gyroscopic controller.

Probably not a draconian Apple anything.

You might want to download the free MIdiMttr app for establishing the Bluetooth connection.

What are the two iDevices and OS versions you are connecting?

• @sketcherazzi midimittr is a good free app dedicated to making the MIDI BLE connection, written by someone who now works for Ableton.

http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/

• @espiegel123 said:
    You might want to download the free MIdiMttr app for establishing the Bluetooth connection.

@mojozart said:
    @sketcherazzi midimittr is a good free app dedicated to making the MIDI BLE connection, written by someone who now works for Ableton.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check that out now.
    I’m just trying to send midi from my iPhone to my iPad, either by Bluetooth or Network Session. I’ve tried with AUM and also with Model 15, so far no success. But midimttr might do the trick!

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@sketcherazzi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mojozart said:
    @sketcherazzi midimittr is a good free app dedicated to making the MIDI BLE connection, written by someone who now works for Ableton.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check that out now.
    I’m just trying to send midi from my iPhone to my iPad, either by Bluetooth or Network Session. I’ve tried with AUM and also with Model 15, so far no success. But midimttr might do the trick!

There has to be a reason the normal way isn’t working. I wonder what the issue is. If midimittr works then great. But it should work anyway. I’ve set it up like this with three different devices and in multiple hosts.

Are you sure you followed the steps I posted? I didn’t specifically say to leave the “peripheral” screen open and with the option enabled while connecting from the “central” screen on the other device. If you closed that screen before the connection was made, maybe it’s worth a try with it left open. I know it defaults to off, so maybe it reverts to not advertising if you close that screen.

• My first Mozaic “app” (two connected scripts) called “Frazer” is ready for prime time (I think. No doubt there will be untested bugs.). Here’s the description of Frazer in my documentation:

What is Frazer?

Frazer is a Mozaic application. The simple description is that Frazer records series of notes and assigns each to a trigger. When the trigger is then received on MIDI in, the phrase is sent on MIDI out. It was developed using AUM as the host, and Xequence2 to record and playback MIDI received and sent by Frazer. The suite of MIDI tools by Victor Porof has one app, MIDI Route that is helpful to the Frazer app as well.

There are two scripts in the app. Frazer_phrase is the functional module. All processing is done in Frazer_phrase. Frazer_player is used exclusively for scheduling phrase output to A MIDI destination. Multiple iterations of Frazer_player are needed because one phrase can still be playing when another is triggered. The player uses @OnTimer to schedule MIDI notes, so there is one copy of Frazer_player for each timer needed, up to 16.

The phrases recorded and used by Frazer_phrase are not polyphonic. A single phrase cannot play multiple notes at once. But since many (up to 16) phrases can be playing at once, the output of the total app is polyphonic.

A MIDI channel can be assigned to a phrase along with a trigger. As with other apps, you can filter different channels to different synths by using channel filtering in AUM.

The app has several operating modes, selectable by pressing a FUNCTION toggle button (a Mozaic pad).

=============================================================================

What is the preferred way to provide the AUM Project file for Frazer, along with the documentation?

I’m going to close my eyes and post this now. YIKES!

Thanks!

• Both devices are running iOS 12.2, and on the same network.
    On the second device (iPad) when I scroll down to central and see the iPhone, labeled “not connected”. I tap that, it shows a spinning icon and “connecting”’ then back to “not connected”.
    Midimittr also doesn’t work - the iPad is shown as advertising its presence but it’s showing as “offline” on the iPhone.

It’s odd because I also use an op-z which connects immediately to Bluetooth, no problem. (It’s not connected now though)
    And Network Session is showing up in AUM, but routing it to any apps doesn’t show any result. I’ve got Mozaic on the phone sending to network session, then on the iPad I’ll send network session to apps, and none will receive any signal.
    AirDrop is working, so the iPhone and iPad can see each other; it’s just Bluetooth or Network session that don’t work.
    Really stumped!

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

It’s not surprising that network session doesn’t work. That takes special circumstances. Although most apps show it, most don’t work with it. You have to use something like MidiFire that specifically initiates the network session using IP addresses. Works like crap anyway. Best to forget that route.

Bluetooth should work though. I’m stumped on that one. You’re positive Bluetooth is enabled on both devices I suppose.

One thing to try. Go to IOS (not AUM) Bluetooth settings on both devices. If either device shows up there, then tell it to forget the device. Then try again in AUM.

• Ok a light on the horizon - thought I’d try Audiobus instead of AUM, and as soon as I launched Audiobus the midi notes from my phone started going through Audiobus to AUM on the iPad!
    It’s ironic; I almost never use Audiobus and always do everything with AUM - I spend more time on this forum than I have using Audiobus. Now I have to figure out how this works!
    The cool news is I’ve got the gyroscopes on the phone driving different parameters on the iPad via Mozaic’s awesome Use Motion Sensors plug-in - really fun using the phone as a controller like this.

• @motmeister said:
    My first Mozaic “app” (two connected scripts) called “Frazer” is ready for prime time (I think. No doubt there will be untested bugs.). Here’s the description of Frazer in my documentation:

What is Frazer?

Frazer is a Mozaic application. The simple description is that Frazer records series of notes and assigns each to a trigger. When the trigger is then received on MIDI in, the phrase is sent on MIDI out. It was developed using AUM as the host, and Xequence2 to record and playback MIDI received and sent by Frazer. The suite of MIDI tools by Victor Porof has one app, MIDI Route that is helpful to the Frazer app as well.

There are two scripts in the app. Frazer_phrase is the functional module. All processing is done in Frazer_phrase. Frazer_player is used exclusively for scheduling phrase output to A MIDI destination. Multiple iterations of Frazer_player are needed because one phrase can still be playing when another is triggered. The player uses @OnTimer to schedule MIDI notes, so there is one copy of Frazer_player for each timer needed, up to 16.

The phrases recorded and used by Frazer_phrase are not polyphonic. A single phrase cannot play multiple notes at once. But since many (up to 16) phrases can be playing at once, the output of the total app is polyphonic.

A MIDI channel can be assigned to a phrase along with a trigger. As with other apps, you can filter different channels to different synths by using channel filtering in AUM.

The app has several operating modes, selectable by pressing a FUNCTION toggle button (a Mozaic pad).

What is the preferred way to provide the AUM Project file for Frazer, along with the documentation?

Thanks!

@motmeister Sounds pretty complex script, did you post yet ?

• @winconway said:
    Can anybody modify @brambos round robin script for me, I need a note offset dial.
    So if it receives a C4 and it is set to two notes round robin it plays C4/C4# but if it receives a C4# it would then play D4/D4# and so on.

Just so I understand right... If there is an offset <> 0 the script should send out 2 notes, the second note at the specified offset, correct?

• edited August 2019

Hi @brambos
    I just found this:

• Load a script that sets a short name for itself to display in the AUM rounded icon
    • Load a different script that does not set a short name for itself

Result: Short name of the previous script is still displayed.

All versions actual to todays store versions, no betas involved.

Maybe you can have a look at this for one of the next updates.

• edited August 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@motmeister said:
    My first Mozaic “app” (two connected scripts) called “Frazer” is ready for prime time (I think. No doubt there will be untested bugs.). Here’s the description of Frazer in my documentation:

What is Frazer?

Thanks!

Not yet. There are two pieces, the AUM project file and the pdf documentation. How do people usually “post”? I’ll read back through this topic for hints.

Well, complexity is relative. There’s a lot of code, but I can understand it, so perhaps it’s not THAT complex. :)

It looks like scripters are using patchstorage (sometimes). I just signed up. I’ll post code over there too. In the meanwhile, maybe i’ll Link to the two pieces of stuff for the “app” in my Dropbox.

The AUM Project:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/354tcjzljlte94q/Frazer.aumproj?dl=0

The Documentation pdf:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg6di861jdz9a82/Frazer_Documentation.pdf?dl=0

• edited August 2019

@motmeister said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@motmeister said:

What is Frazer?

Thanks!

Not yet. There are two pieces, the AUM project file and the pdf documentation. How do people usually “post”? I’ll read back through this topic for hints.

@motmeister The Mosaic script depository is on Patchstorage.com.

You could put links on there for all the items, if not probably the best place for the other bits would be the Mozaic wiki on AB forums.

I'm sure @brambos could advise.

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.