Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone output to UCA222 input levels issue

When I record my iPhone with my laptop using Behringer UCA222 audio interface, there is an issue with audio levels.

• iPhone has volume output set to max, with for example Noir with Maxima in AUM and output at 0 dB (for test purpose in AUM).
  • iPhone is connected to UCA222 with lightning to jack adapter and jack to RCA cable.
  • UCA222 is connected to laptop with USB running Asio4all driver (bypassing Windows audio settings).
  • In Ableton Live, iPhone recording is around -8db.

So it’s not possible to mix Ableton sounds and iPhone sounds in real-time easily with that 8db difference.

I suppose it’s related to line levels differences?

How to manage this? Using a preamp?

For those who record iPad/iPhone on laptops/desktops, what are your solutions to manage levels?

Thinking about buying another audio interface.

Comments

• With my UMC 404hd I plug my iPhone into the 3/4 input and in aum I have to add a gain just to hear the input correctly. Hope that helps. I don't know of any other way to boost the volume to correct volume.

• edited August 2019

@Janosax

Get a sound generator app, for instance I use ,'Signal Generator'.
    Set the output signal to 0db from your iPhone with the iPhone volume at max.
    In the laptop monitor the input via your UCA222 and set the input
    volume level to -12db which gives you plenty of headroom.
    Not the channel dB, the actual signal level.
    Check the peak levels of the sounds you need to record and if
    there is ample headroom turn up the input on the laptop to reduce channel noise.
    With -12db you could set it and forget it.
    Depending upon what I'm recording I will either use -12db or -6.9db.
    Others use -6db but that's another story.

Here's a screenshot of the settings I use for calibrating inputs.