Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 - ? on editing MIDI, saving Patterns, and re-using Scenes

REALLY looking forward to the BM3 book from @tk32. :wink:

Hoping someone can help me with a few BM3 questions.

1. Is it possible to edit and save MIDI patterns that have been loaded into BM3? For example, I have some MIDI drum sequences where the slots don't match up to my current pad setup.

I'd like to save these MIDI sequences after I've edited them to the BM3 pad structure so I can reuse them later. Is this possible? I can't seem to figure out how to Transpose these properly either. The MIDI file by default imports sounds on Pads 36-42 and 52-54, but seemingly not in any consistent fashion across MIDI files. I'd like to get all the sounds producing MIDI notes onto pads 1-16.

If it's not possible, is there a good App to open and edit MIDI like this?

1. On a similar note, is it possible to save an individual Pattern or Scenes? Or can I move a Scene between projects? I have a few different loops in one project that I'd like to add to a different project, but can't figure this out either. Same goes for Patterns. Can a Pattern itself be saved and imported into other projects?

If I can simply save the Pattern after I edit it to reload it elsewhere, that would suffice.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Comments

• edited August 2019

There is a way to do what you want, but it requires a slight hack (ie exporting/importing an empty bank that serves as a transfer host for your midi patterns)

I'm traveling at the moment, but will reply properly with the steps required later on.

Glad you're excited about the book too ;)

• @tk32 said:
    There is a way to do what you want, but it requires a slight hack (ie exporting/importing an empty bank that serves as a transfer host for your midi patterns)

I'm traveling at the moment, but will reply properly with the steps required later on.

Thank you, kind sir!

FWIW, I'm an instructional designer and educator in my 9-to-5, so if you'd be interested in getting any feedback from that perspective before publishing, I'd be happy to help. I've developed more instructional guides and job aids than I care to remember.

• @eyesunderground said:

@tk32 said:

Thank you, kind sir!

FWIW, I'm an instructional designer and educator in my 9-to-5, so if you'd be interested in getting any feedback from that perspective before publishing, I'd be happy to help. I've developed more instructional guides and job aids than I care to remember.

A very kind and generous offer. Instructional design is an area I am very interested in. It's also (kind of) my 9-5 too.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

• edited August 2019

Almost forgot my promise...

Ok, here goes. I’m currently away from my ipad, so please excuse any mistakes.

Exporting patterns from one BM3 project to another (in 3 steps)

Step 1 - Moving the patterns for export into a new blank bank

1. Create a new empty bank and switch to Song mode.
    2. Make the bank with the patterns you want to export ‘active’ and open the track helper by tapping the mini song overview in the top left corner of the screen.
    3. On the track helper you will see a list of all patterns for the current active bank. Find the patterns you want to export and drag them onto the timeline in the song lane for the empty bank.
    4. Dragging patterns onto a different banks makes a replica in that bank, so if you make your empty bank active and open the track helper you will see a copy of your original pattern.
    5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 (above) for each one of the patterns you want to export.

Step 2 - Exporting the blank bank with all the patterns

1. Switch to Bank or Edit view and make the empty bank active.
    2. Using the 3 dot menu ‘...’ choose the export bank command. If given the option (i can’t quite remember) make sure you choose to include midi patterns in the export (obviously!) :)
    3. Choose a name for your exported bank. It will be saved into your Banks subfolder, but you can use the BM3 file browser to move it elsewhere if you have a different housekeeping/file system preference.

Step 3 - Loading the ‘pattern bank’ in your other project

1. Load your ‘other’ project (the one you want to import patterns into)
    2. Create a new blank bank to load your pattern bank into, then open the file browser and load the pattern bank, making sure to include patterns when loading the bank by ticking the appropriate box on the bottom bar before loading the bank
    3. Once you have loaded the bank, and all it’s patterns, simply repeat step 1 but this time you are moving patterns from the empty bank into the song lanes of existing banks in your project.
  • @tk32 said:

This is excellent! Thank you.