Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help wanted - Jam maestro/Gadget 2

Hello. I was hoping someone may be able to help me as I’m not very technologically savvy and can barely use midi!

Currently I sketch all my song ideas on Jam Maestro and once I have an initial draft I transfer the tracks to other apps to build on them. This includes drums. Recently I have bought Gadget 2 and the Gladstone Drum machine. I want to transfer the Midi drums from Jam Maestro to Gadget to work on but don’t really know how to.

The only way I have managed to do this is by exporting the midi track to drop box from Jam Maestro and then importing the file as midi into Gadget but the problem I have is that half of the cymbals don’t come through or link to toms instead and it is a proper ball ache to change them all around!

Surely there is a better way?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@FesteringMike said:
    Hello. I was hoping someone may be able to help me as I’m not very technologically savvy and can barely use midi!

Currently I sketch all my song ideas on Jam Maestro and once I have an initial draft I transfer the tracks to other apps to build on them. This includes drums. Recently I have bought Gadget 2 and the Gladstone Drum machine. I want to transfer the Midi drums from Jam Maestro to Gadget to work on but don’t really know how to.

The only way I have managed to do this is by exporting the midi track to drop box from Jam Maestro and then importing the file as midi into Gadget but the problem I have is that half of the cymbals don’t come through or link to toms instead and it is a proper ball ache to change them all around!

Not really. The problem is Jam Maestro is putting out notes mapped to the General MIDI (GM) drum specification, but Gadget doesn't follow that. Gadgets are set up with notes running chromatically from C2 (or C3, I forget).

The only ways around this are to move the notes around after import, or to have a script plugin doing the translation and sending midi through that script to be recorded in Gadget.

I have a script I've been working on that can convert GM to Gadget. But to use it you'd need to purchase Mozaic and understand how to use it, and how to connect Jam Maestro through it to Gadget, and how to record the result. That doesn't seem like a good path for someone not adept with MIDI and not technologically savvy, so I don't recommend it. I think you're better off just making the needed adjustments to the notes.

• @wim said:

@FesteringMike said:

Not really. The problem is Jam Maestro is putting out notes mapped to the General MIDI (GM) drum specification, but Gadget doesn't follow that. Gadgets are set up with notes running chromatically from C2 (or C3, I forget).

The only ways around this are to move the notes around after import, or to have a script plugin doing the translation and sending midi through that script to be recorded in Gadget.

I have a script I've been working on that can convert GM to Gadget. But to use it you'd need to purchase Mozaic and understand how to use it, and how to connect Jam Maestro through it to Gadget, and how to record the result. That doesn't seem like a good path for someone not adept with MIDI and not technologically savvy, so I don't recommend it. I think you're better off just making the needed adjustments to the notes.

Bugger. I was hoping that wasn’t the case. It’s a shame as I find Jam Maestro drums easy and intuitive to write but the sound quality of Gadget is far superior.

• @eim I’d be interested in generalizing this script for other apps as well, not just gadget.

• @mjcouche said:
    @eim I’d be interested in generalizing this script for other apps as well, not just gadget.

Working on it. Making the maps is tedious, so I run out of patience pretty quickly.

To be clear about how it works: It maps each General Midi note to one of the available sounds in the target app that seems the most appropriate to me. This is somewhat disappointing many times because there are 49 possible GM sounds, and usually only 8 or 16 in the target app. So, for instance, all the cymbals get mapped to a single cymbal sound, or even to an open hat, depending on what's available in the target app. Then you have apps like iElectribe where there's no fixed sounds for tom's, etc.. In short, it's a kludge, but a time saver.

If you want to list the apps you'd like to see mapped, I'll see about including them.

• @SevenSystems : you should consider a drum remapping AU based on the database of drum pads that you’ve got. I imagine a number of people would find it useful to remap from one drum map to another.

• I actually had that same idea when I read the thread... the problem is though that there is no way to create a mapping between two maps because the names of the pads are not "standardized".

But it's certainly feasible technically if all maps used the same names for the same drums.> @espiegel123 said:

@SevenSystems : you should consider a drum remapping AU based on the database of drum pads that you’ve got. I imagine a number of people would find it useful to remap from one drum map to another.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

I was originally thinking of that for the Mozaic script I'm working on. Translating from GM to various apps is easy enough, but going from one app to another is much more problematic, so I'm only focusing on GM > app mappings now.

• edited August 2019

I'll make a movie of the way I do it. However just a few notes for some reason I can't get Jam Maestro to send midi to Gadget when the midi setting in Gadget is set to "advanced" so make sure it in easy mode.

There's already a Gadget midi map which will allow you to play all the sounds but the drum icon in Jam won't match the sound it plays but it easy to change the notes are the icons you will see what I'm referring to in the movie.

Use the same procedure for Gladstone or whatever gadget Drum module you like.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

BRILLIANT! I didn’t realize you could remap the outbound notes in Jam Maestro, @hacked_to_pieces. (BTW, you can do it in advanced mode, but you need to set the MIDI input in Gadget to “Gadget”, not “Jam Maestro”.

Sorry for the bad info @FesteringMike

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

Shoulda done my homework before answering...
    MIDI related stuff starts at 10:30.

• @wim said:
    @hacked_to_pieces. (BTW, you can do it in advanced mode, but you need to set the MIDI input in Gadget to “Gadget”, not “Jam Maestro”.

Lol yep, I was picking Jam M.

• Even if you're just mapping 8 or 16 pads, devs should stick to GM mapping :lol:
    I just hate it when people don't follow standards :tongue:
    I have a work in progress that's GM Drum notes in a spreadsheet
    And i'm taking notes for each app that doesn't match it without further configuration

• @hacked_to_pieces That’s awesome. I’ll check it all out properly really soon but thanks so much for taking your time out to answer in such a detailed way.

@wim No worries. It wasn’t deliberate bad info! That’s why I love this forum. Everyone tries to be helpful and even the most advanced music creators learn new things!