Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Thom Yorke album

What do people think?

I’ve listened to it once (last night while going to sleep) and was struck by some great sounds and sound design. Lots of very basic repeating one bar sequences (I like that kind of thing) and a kind of layer of a post rave thing going on behind the obvious Thom Yorke top layer.

Lots of beats and lots of low fi. It felt like the kind of stuff you could imagine making with some iOS apps (no idea what he actually used).

I loved the last Radiohead album and generally love anything TY does.

Interested in what any others on here think...

Comments

• edited August 2019

I was a bit obsessed with TY in the past but i’m not digging this album so far. Gear wise he has a lot of it, he is an elektron fan too.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    What do people think?

I’ve listened to it once (last night while going to sleep) and was struck by some great sounds and sound design. Lots of very basic repeating one bar sequences (I like that kind of thing) and a kind of layer of a post rave thing going on behind the obvious Thom Yorke top layer.

Lots of beats and lots of low fi. It felt like the kind of stuff you could imagine making with some iOS apps (no idea what he actually used).

Haven’t heard much of the new one, but I love what he does, and the Suspirium stuff was lovely. Need to check out the new one, he’s very inspiring.

What do people think?

Do I recall correctly that Thom Yorke worked with the mighty Robert Hood on some stuff? That would seem to go some way to explaining the majestic 'basic repeating one bar sequences' that you describe.

• @audio_DT said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    What do people think?

Do I recall correctly that Thom Yorke worked with the mighty Robert Hood on some stuff? That would seem to go some way to explaining the majestic 'basic repeating one bar sequences' that you describe.

Dunno, but he’s worked with a lot of people.

• @MonzoPro said:

What do people think?

Haven’t heard much of the new one, but I love what he does, and the Suspirium stuff was lovely. Need to check out the new one, he’s very inspiring.

Have to admit I’d not heard the Suspirium album but have just found it on Spotify so will have a listen. Thanks.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I was a bit obsessed with TY in the past but i’m not digging this album so far. Gear wise he has a lot of it, he is an elektron fan too.

Oh really? From my sleepy recollection of listening through last night it seemed really fresh sounding, but then again I like it when he goes all minimal and electronic.

Anyway I’ve been busy all day but I’m looking forward to having another good listen through tonight.

@MonzoPro said:

What do people think?

Have to admit I’d not heard the Suspirium album but have just found it on Spotify so will have a listen. Thanks.

Some good live vids on the ‘tube, the title track is particularly beautiful:

• I've only seen the Netflix video released a few weeks ago - I think it has 4 songs from it. It was interesting. I only really liked the last song on the video.

• I haven't fully digested the album so far, but I have enjoyed listening to it. A bit more dance-y than I was expecting. Dawn Chorus is absolutely beautiful.

• Not sure if it’s kosher to post from another forum but this is the interview TY did recently with the folks over at Elektronauts. It’s a pretty interesting read, and ya he’s definitely an Elektron guy.

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/482

• Yeah, I love this album a lot. Thom Yorke is great, Radiohead or no Radiohead.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Yeah, I love this album a lot. Thom Yorke is great, Radiohead or no Radiohead.

Your crazy kitten smile 😸

What do people think?

Huge TY and Radiohead fan here! Anima is maybe his most consistent solo work to date (but everything he does is)
    Enjoyed listening to this interview :

• I like almost everything about his material and his approach and I find the lofi stuff very liberating to be honest...

• Brilliant work and gorgeous production. Check out the film if you have Netflix. https://www.netflix.com/title/81110498?s=i&trkid=0

• Big Radiohead fan here. Great production on the album. I love some of the tracks, not the news being my favorite so far.
    Some of them have to grow though. Have to give it some more listen. Since my expectations are always quite high, I need some time to connect to new RH/TY stuff.
    Moon shaped pool was glorious.
    Suspiria and Unmade utterly beautiful

• Radiohead is my favorite band. I hated this album on first listen. I waited. I went back in a different headspace and boom... it opened up. By the time I hit Dawn Chorus I was completely on board. Beautiful album that deserves several listens before it sinks in.

• @JoHe said:
    Big Radiohead fan here. Great production on the album. I love some of the tracks, not the news being my favorite so far.
    Some of them have to grow though. Have to give it some more listen. Since my expectations are always quite high, I need some time to connect to new RH/TY stuff.
    Moon shaped pool was glorious.
    Suspiria and Unmade utterly beautiful

Moon Shaped Pool is great I think. One of my favourite RH albums.

• His new album is inspiring and wonderful. It makes me think of a zen master painter...a few strokes expertly placed on canvas when viewed each time reveals more truth and passion of the human condition.

He’s found a balance both lyrically and compositionally which feels right and revelatory to me personally and I’m thankful that he continues to peruse his solo work.

Super inspiring to an aspiring musician as well...lots of goodness to unpack with each listen.

• Loving this album. Thanks for the heads up.

• Just saw this in my feed. Going to read later, but it seems like it will be a great read and learning moment:

Web Site for non Twitter users:
    https://reverbmachine.com/blog/thom-yorke-synth-sounds

• @SanMateo said:
    Not sure if it’s kosher to post from another forum but this is the interview TY did recently with the folks over at Elektronauts. It’s a pretty interesting read, and ya he’s definitely an Elektron guy.

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/482

Thank you for this. Great read.

• @JanKun said:

What do people think?

Huge TY and Radiohead fan here! Anima is maybe his most consistent solo work to date (but everything he does is)
    Enjoyed listening to this interview :

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed watching it this morning.

• edited August 2019

@echoopera said:
    Just saw this in my feed. Going to read later, but it seems like it will be a great read and learning moment:

Very cool.

So does anyone know what closest iOS app we have to a prophet 5 emulation?

What did the Volt dev say he based the Volt sound/architecture on, was that a Prophet? Or am I getting confused?

@echoopera said:
    Just saw this in my feed. Going to read later, but it seems like it will be a great read and learning moment:

Very cool.

What did the Volt dev say he based the Volt sound/architecture on, was that a Prophet? Or am I getting confused?

Edit: actually presumably the iProphet app!

Think Volt is a bit more modelled on the OB-X maybe?

• I've found his solo stuff to be kind of underwhelming. It's fine, but, you know, it's not "Kid A."

"Anima," however, is pretty great. And it does remind me of "Kid A." Very impressed.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I've found his solo stuff to be kind of underwhelming. It's fine, but, you know, it's not "Kid A."

"Anima," however, is pretty great. And it does remind me of "Kid A." Very impressed.

N00b.

:)

What amazes me about RH/him is how little else there is in the same box, but how many folks like what's in there (self heavily included)...

@echoopera said:

Very cool.

Edit: actually presumably the iProphet app!

Think Volt is a bit more modelled on the OB-X maybe?

To round this off...

On further investigation... iProphet is actually an emulation of a different type of Prophet synth it seems. It’s very digital sounding.

Synths that I have that are closer to that Prophet 5 style are Volt, iSem and, interestingly, Phoenix inside Gadget.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I've found his solo stuff to be kind of underwhelming. It's fine, but, you know, it's not "Kid A."

N00b.

What amazes me about RH/him is how little else there is in the same box, but how many folks like what's in there (self heavily included)...

Ah, maybe that’s because he/they keep changing boxes.

There’s been lots of stuff trying to ape Kid A since it came out.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

N00b.

They have that ‘re-invention’ thing that most of my favourite bands/artists have. Keeps everything fresh and interesting.

I remember buying Kid A when it came out - no idea what it was going to sound like, but after the first few seconds of ‘Right Place I was sold.