Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 and AUi Automation Question

Just bought NS2 on sale. Super easy, neat and clean! I loaded a few AU instruments and with each it appears there are 10 possible AU automations, X, Y and 8 knobs all preassigned to specific parameters. Is there a way to reassign those knobs to different AUi parameters? Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2019

Check facebook, i replied to your question there ;-)

• quick recap, in case anybody other will be in trouble to figure this too...

• tap hamburger icon, macros got blue
    • tap macro
    • select param in right list

to save your mappings as default at left side scroll to bottom, choose "all macros" and tap save defaults on right - now, next time you load this plugin, it loads with your definitions...

• @dendy said:
    Check facebook, i replied to your question there ;-)

Very helpful, thanks!

• I’m a NS2 ‘noob’ but has it been requested that a macro knob would be able to control multiple AUParameters at once with different value ranges per parameter?

I’ve fallen hard for the ‘slider’ in The Eventide AUv3’s and the easy way to set the knob ranges...

• edited August 2019

I’m a NS2 ‘noob’ but has it been requested that a macro knob would be able to control multiple AUParameters at once with different value ranges per parameter?

yeah it was, by me personally :-))) After other more prio tasks will be done i have plans to start bothering matt with this again :-)) Thid would make sense, especially because Obsidian macros are working that way..

• @dendy said:

I’m a NS2 ‘noob’ but has it been requested that a macro knob would be able to control multiple AUParameters at once with different value ranges per parameter?

yeah it was, by me personally :-))) After other more prio tasks will be done i have plans to start bothering matt with this again :-)) Thid would make sense, especially because Obsidian macros are working that way..

Cool, I especially love the way the plug-in ui in the Eventide stuff can be used to set the value ranges while auditioning the effect of the changes, no need to do ‘menu diving’, super handy!

• edited August 2019

@Samu said:

I’ve fallen hard for the ‘slider’ in The Eventide AUv3’s and the easy way to set the knob ranges...

I did a little experiment with KRFT controlling NS2 a while ago and you can set up dials to have custom ranges for sending midi cc to control NS2 macros and then you just overlap multiple knobs to send at the same time.

It really is an amazing companion app for NS2. It integrates so well. Really looking forward to getting back into it.

• You automate more than 8 MIDI CCs in one song? What are you automating?

• @GovernorSilver said:
    You automate more than 8 MIDI CCs in one song? What are you automating?

The thing with KRFT is that you can easily lay out all of your songs automatable parameters on one screen. All synth macros, all mixer settings, all internal fx etc. What I described was more about ‘Chaining’ which can be done by overlapping dials so you can adjust a filters freq and q at the same time with one dial. KRFT also has modifiers (lfo etc) so you can send to the same midi cc in different ways. So it is not so much about breaking out of the 8 midi cc limit of a single synth but simultaneous automation access across the board. Plus you can trigger and loop little sequences of notes etc too.

• @GovernorSilver said:

Not MIDI CC but I a do record a lot of automation of knobs and other UI elements especially with Model 15, Ripplemaker and iVCS3 as AUs.

• Is there ever going to be any updates to this app ?

• @Turntablist said:
    Is there ever going to be any updates to this app ?

Sounds like it.

• @philowerx said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Not MIDI CC but I a do record a lot of automation of knobs and other UI elements especially with Model 15, Ripplemaker and iVCS3 as AUs.

Oh, I didn't realize AU parameter automation is not the same as MIDI CC.

Do you have something online I can listen to ? It must be wild hearing all that AU param automation going at the same time, especially with those particular apps.

• edited August 2019

Rergarding MIDI CC - in "External MIDI" instrument yuo can actually automate all 127 available MIDI CC, so you can have teoretically 127 automation lanes inside single MIDI instrument track ... So for example if you load Model 15 as standalone APP instead of AU and you controll it from NS using "External MIDI" instrument, you can automate 127 parameters of Model 15 :)

Anyway.. never automated more than 4-5 parameters per single instrument .. i have usually from 15 to 35 instrument tracks in my project but most of them usually automate just 1-2 params in average ..

• @Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Last, pretty huge update was released 14th may - thats 2 and half months ago .. Matt strategy with NS1 was always 1 or max 2 big updates per year, not many minor updates, he likes doing it this way ...

• @dendy said:

Rergarding MIDI CC - in "External MIDI" instrument yuo can actually automate all 127 available MIDI CC, so you can have teoretically 127 automation lanes inside single MIDI instrument track ... So for example if you load Model 15 as standalone APP instead of AU and you controll it from NS using "External MIDI" instrument, you can automate 127 parameters of Model 15 :)

>

While that's cool when NS2 launched I was expecting to be able to browse the AUv3 for parameter tree and choose which one to draw the automation for but was faced with the 'map to macro knob' mayhem...

Anyway.. never automated more than 4-5 parameters per single instrument .. i have usually from 15 to 35 instrument tracks in my project but most of them usually automate just 1-2 params in average ..

True, but having to choose the parameter in advance can sometimes 'kill the mood' and always leaves me with a big WTF ;)

In for example iMPC Pro 2 I can just pick an AU parameter and I instantly get an automation lane for it so I don't see why something like this can't be implemented in NS2 as well?!

• @dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Last, pretty huge update was released 14th may - thats 2 and half months ago .. Matt strategy with NS1 was always 1 or max 2 big updates per year, not many minor updates, he likes doing it this way ...

What was in the big update ?
    Everything that was missing upon release for my usage, is still missing.

• @Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

It wasn't a big update. The strategy though is to make them that way, ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Ok when he said huge I thought I had missed something.

• @Turntablist said:

@AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

• @Turntablist said:

@AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Coming off of the release was likely exhausting I imagine.

• @AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Thanks for the list, definitely not expecting any more updates for this if thats a pretty huge update.
    Back to AUM ;)

• @Turntablist said:

@AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@AudioGus said:

@Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

Thanks for the list, definitely not expecting any more updates for this if thats a pretty huge update.
    Back to AUM ;)

Oh SNAP! You di-unt!

• @Turntablist said:

@dendy said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes of course.

You can see for yourself in the App Store

Unfortunate. The good news is you are currently using something today that probably has what you need or you’d already be using something else. Seems like you are good with where you are. Maybe NS2 or some other app will do whatever it is something else is doing, but until then you’ll probably be more happy elsewhere.

• @dendy said:

That sounds more reasonable to me than over 10 params per instrument.

Anyway, he said he is not using MIDI to automate params in Model 15 and so on, which I didn't expect.

So can you automate Model 15 from NS2 without MIDI? Or is there a misunderstanding?

• edited August 2019

@AudioGus said:

List of features and fixes in 2.0.1 .. i think call this "big update" is correct ;) .. yes, no popular features like audio tracks, but .. quite impressive list for approx 3 months of work

• Now supports Audiobus for main mix output and sampling input
    • Display layout has been optimized for all iPad Pro models
    • Added modulation wheel controller to AU instrument
    • Fixed discovery problem for some MIDI FX AUs (eg. Step Poly Arp)
    • Effects with alternative MIDI and non-MIDI versions are now enumerated
    • List of external MIDI/Audio AU effects is now sorted alphabetically
    • Fix for beat sync issues with some AUs
    • Removed animation from AU minimize/maximise due to slow UI resizing
    • AU Instrument: Fixed bug where bank list A-Z shortcut would not always work
    • AU Instrument: Reduced the chance of parameter automation unnecessarily setting the
      project to 'modified'

• AU Instrument: Fixed bug where the default macro controller mappings were not always
      using the Audio Unit's overview (most important) parameters.

• Various fixes and workarounds for reported AU issues

• Added Bluetooth pairing dialogue to Settings/MIDI page
    • Added a virtual MIDI input port
    • Note release responds to sustain (hold) pedal controllers
    • Added modulation wheel controller to External MIDI instrument
    • Fixed bug where MIDI controller mappings for track and send volume/pan controls were not
      saved with the project

• Added a small deadband around the pitchwheel centre position to handle external hardware
      controllers which don't always return to the exact centre when the wheel is released

• Added 'Save Selection' to ACTIONS menu (or 'Save As' if no selection is made)

• Double tap on ACTION command button trims the current selection
    • Selection length now shown in bottom left panel using current time units
    • Now handles hardware sample rate changes during recording
    • Touches on the vertical keyboard will audition MIDI notes
    • Octave up/down drag handle buttons are no longer shown when velocity editor is visible
      due to the lack of vertical space

• Muted parts are not included in MIDI export

• Automation recording: Improved accuracy of recorded points when recording real-time
      controller movements

• When exporting a single MIDI clip to a file, the filename defaults to the clip's custom name if
      it has one

• Fixed bug where drag handle could sometimes get stuck when a second touch is initiated

• Fixed playback bug when looping, where new note on messages from the loop start were
      sometimes sent after the note offs from the loop end rather than before them

• Automation Editor: Fixed bug when editing AU automation, where the param's current value
      was shown instead of the selected points' values.
      Mixer and Effects

• Real-time rendering is performed at current hardware sample rate

• Track FX list: Effects are given a number suffix if the same type occurs multiply in the list
    • Internal effects: Fixed bug where the default patch was not loaded by a new effect (if one
      was saved)

• Double tapping on a macro control knob restores it to the patch's original value

• Osc Phase knob is now greyed out when the sample or noise oscillator types are selected
      (phase only applies to oscillators which generate periodic waveforms)

• Fixed overflowing text in modulation list for long destination names

• Fixed bug where formant filter could sometimes go unstable at 96kHz mixdown sample rate
    • Added spectrum analyser to bus EQs
    • Touch velocity mode is now available in all layout types (ie. all pad sizes)
    • Fixed bug where D2 did not go to infinity (as labelled) in One-Shot mode
    • Fixed bug where minimized pads weren't always updated when changing between
      instruments

• Improved legibility of small fonts

• Status Bar: Tapping on the metronome icon toggles the metronome play mode
    • On-screen piano keys: Increased the octave range for all instruments which use it
    • File browser: Contents are refreshed when NanoStudio is returned to the foreground to pick
      up external file changes (eg. those made using the iOS Files app).

• File browser: Fixed a bug where importing a single file (eg. from Dropbox) would place the
      file in the parent folder rather than the current folder

• Settings page: Fixed bug where the UI wasn't updated to show the current Track Mute Style

• Help page: Fixed bug where status bar dropdowns would not respond to touches if the help
      page was visible
  • edited August 2019

@dendy said:

@AudioGus said:

List of features and fixes in 2.0.1 .. i think call this "big update" is correct ;) .. yes, no popular features like audio tracks, but .. quite impressive list for approx 3 months of work

• Now supports Audiobus for main mix output and sampling input
    • Display layout has been optimized for all iPad Pro models
    • Added modulation wheel controller to AU instrument
    • Fixed discovery problem for some MIDI FX AUs (eg. Step Poly Arp)
    • Effects with alternative MIDI and non-MIDI versions are now enumerated
    • List of external MIDI/Audio AU effects is now sorted alphabetically
    • Fix for beat sync issues with some AUs
    • Removed animation from AU minimize/maximise due to slow UI resizing
    • AU Instrument: Fixed bug where bank list A-Z shortcut would not always work
    • AU Instrument: Reduced the chance of parameter automation unnecessarily setting the
      project to 'modified'

• AU Instrument: Fixed bug where the default macro controller mappings were not always
      using the Audio Unit's overview (most important) parameters.

• Various fixes and workarounds for reported AU issues

• Added Bluetooth pairing dialogue to Settings/MIDI page
    • Added a virtual MIDI input port
    • Note release responds to sustain (hold) pedal controllers
    • Added modulation wheel controller to External MIDI instrument
    • Fixed bug where MIDI controller mappings for track and send volume/pan controls were not
      saved with the project

• Added a small deadband around the pitchwheel centre position to handle external hardware
      controllers which don't always return to the exact centre when the wheel is released

• Added 'Save Selection' to ACTIONS menu (or 'Save As' if no selection is made)

• Double tap on ACTION command button trims the current selection
    • Selection length now shown in bottom left panel using current time units
    • Now handles hardware sample rate changes during recording
    • Touches on the vertical keyboard will audition MIDI notes
    • Octave up/down drag handle buttons are no longer shown when velocity editor is visible
      due to the lack of vertical space

• Muted parts are not included in MIDI export

• Automation recording: Improved accuracy of recorded points when recording real-time
      controller movements

• When exporting a single MIDI clip to a file, the filename defaults to the clip's custom name if
      it has one

• Fixed bug where drag handle could sometimes get stuck when a second touch is initiated

• Fixed playback bug when looping, where new note on messages from the loop start were
      sometimes sent after the note offs from the loop end rather than before them

• Automation Editor: Fixed bug when editing AU automation, where the param's current value
      was shown instead of the selected points' values.
      Mixer and Effects

• Real-time rendering is performed at current hardware sample rate

• Track FX list: Effects are given a number suffix if the same type occurs multiply in the list
    • Internal effects: Fixed bug where the default patch was not loaded by a new effect (if one
      was saved)

• Double tapping on a macro control knob restores it to the patch's original value

• Osc Phase knob is now greyed out when the sample or noise oscillator types are selected
      (phase only applies to oscillators which generate periodic waveforms)

• Fixed overflowing text in modulation list for long destination names

• Fixed bug where formant filter could sometimes go unstable at 96kHz mixdown sample rate
    • Added spectrum analyser to bus EQs
    • Touch velocity mode is now available in all layout types (ie. all pad sizes)
    • Fixed bug where D2 did not go to infinity (as labelled) in One-Shot mode
    • Fixed bug where minimized pads weren't always updated when changing between
      instruments

• Improved legibility of small fonts

• Status Bar: Tapping on the metronome icon toggles the metronome play mode
    • On-screen piano keys: Increased the octave range for all instruments which use it
    • File browser: Contents are refreshed when NanoStudio is returned to the foreground to pick
      up external file changes (eg. those made using the iOS Files app).

• File browser: Fixed a bug where importing a single file (eg. from Dropbox) would place the
      file in the parent folder rather than the current folder

• Settings page: Fixed bug where the UI wasn't updated to show the current Track Mute Style

• Help page: Fixed bug where status bar dropdowns would not respond to touches if the help
      page was visible

Huge list! I would trade it all in for one item: audio tracks. (Or AUfx automation) ;)

Also, I thought this was 6 months work (you said it was three)? Although, OK, there was probably a break in there. Not that I am dumping on it at all. Seems like a great maintenance update but like you said it was not a ‘popular feature’ update which is what I would call big or huge. Just semantics. Looking forward to the goods as they arrive.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

We got the ability to load NS2 in Audiobus / AUM / etc.
    I'd trade iPhone compatibility and Audio tracks for that, so I'm a happy camper. I hardly used NS2 before that, and I use it all the time now.

• edited August 2019

@wim said:
    We got the ability to load NS2 in Audiobus / AUM / etc.
    I'd trade iPhone compatibility and Audio tracks for that, so I'm a happy camper. I hardly used NS2 before that, and I use it all the time now.

Yah I could see that being useful. It helped me for when some AUs didnt play well on mixdowns.

• edited August 2019

@AudioGus said:
    Also, I thought this was 6 months work (you said it was three)? Although, OK, there was probably a break in there.

yeah, update was release in half of may, it's work approx from half of january to end end of april, may was mostly about testing and details finetunimg, core of work was done feb-apr.. so approx 3.5 months...

for me major thing in that update is "save selection as" in audio editor.. reduced my worktime ten times when i'm working on multisample patches...