Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@_ki said:
    @wim Hmm, using several AB3 session the organizer could collect them and save them to local presets. But using this workaround the contributors can‘t name their presets. And for final distribution 26 instances in AB3 with presets are not enough (and i don‘t know if we‘ll get an out-of-AU-memory error).

Yeh, it’s a kludge. But if each “preset” shared was one instance of Spectrum and was named with the name of the preset, then they could be discretely saved, and then used with the Add function in Audiobus.

This would work with AUM sessions as well. But Audiobus has the advantage of online sharing, so the result could just be a list of links rather than a zip file. Easier for distribution IMO.

I guess another low-tech/clumsy way would be to simply share screenshots.

• Augh ok you guys made your case for preset management :D

• @wim said:

@_ki said:
    @wim

I guess another low-tech/clumsy way would be to simply share screenshots.

I think grandpa calls those patch sheets. 😬

• @burns_audio said:
    Augh ok you guys made your case for preset management :D

Who? Us? No hidden agenda here. Why, the thought never crossed our minds. o:)

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2019

@burns_audio said:

That would be cool - IMHO, it would be best to ‚create an app-folder‘ visible in the files app and sub-folders for each plugin variant, maybe even using different extensions *.modal, *.spectrum etc) .
    For load / save use the system file selector with a starting path to your app-folder. Support of sub-folders enables the user to further categorize the patches in their main folders.
    For rename/delete/import etc management we then can use the files app, no need to duplicate this functionality inside the plugin with own functions.

But there is a drawback - IIRC one needs to apply a special trick to use the system file selector from an AU.

It is possible, as the AU versions of:

• LayR uses it for preset im/export
    • BeatHawk supports iCloud export of samples
    • SpaceCraft & apeMatrix Sampler & Mood & Egoist support iCloud sample import

all of them using the systems file selector. Another drawback is that all the file-selectors (called from AUs) were shown inside their AU window, which maybe too small for phones.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ditto for iCloud and Files app support. Def the most convenient. Wish Blackhole had this.

• @burns_audio said:

gofundme for this?

• @espiegel123 said:
    gofundme for this?

nah nah it's all good, I incur no additional cost to eventually build that feature and it's clearly necessary. Just gotta find the time!

• Hi, any more news on this thread?

• I'm working on an update, although dev is a lot slower in the summer as I spend most free time at the park and beach with my family.

Next update is a lot of internal changes, some new features, some bug fixes. Probably out late Aug / early Sept.

After that will be MPE and preset management

• @burns_audio said:
    I'm working on an update, although dev is a lot slower in the summer as I spend most free time at the park and beach with my family.

Best thing you can do, enjoy it !

• @burns_audio said:
    I'm working on an update, although dev is a lot slower in the summer as I spend most free time at the park and beach with my family.

Next update is a lot of internal changes, some new features, some bug fixes. Probably out late Aug / early Sept.

Awesome News! Enjoy the time with your family :)

If I could sneak in a request it would be to have numerical entry using they keyboard for the values.
    (I know, I'm OCD when it comes precise value entries, but with a complex and deep synth such as these are it's needed).

But no need to rush, I'm enjoying Spectrum as it is ;)

• Having a small issue controlling Granular with midi cc (using mosaic in AB3). Most parameters respond as expected from the midi cc map (https://burns.ca/spectrum.html), but not all: eg pitch doesn't seem to respond to cc 18 at all. Are there settings internal to Granular that override the cc messages? Is the midi cc map on the burns website still accurate?

• @ohwell said:
    Having a small issue controlling Granular with midi cc (using mosaic in AB3). Most parameters respond as expected from the midi cc map (https://burns.ca/spectrum.html), but not all: eg pitch doesn't seem to respond to cc 18 at all. Are there settings internal to Granular that override the cc messages? Is the midi cc map on the burns website still accurate?

Sounds like a bug, I'll take a look. It should work. Are others than pitch broken?

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@burns_audio said:

@ohwell said:
    Having a small issue controlling Granular with midi cc (using mosaic in AB3). Most parameters respond as expected from the midi cc map (https://burns.ca/spectrum.html), but not all: eg pitch doesn't seem to respond to cc 18 at all. Are there settings internal to Granular that override the cc messages? Is the midi cc map on the burns website still accurate?

Sounds like a bug, I'll take a look. It should work. Are others than pitch broken?

Pitch is responding to cc 18 as it should for me from my Mozaic script.

• Looks like Mozaic noob error on my end. When using Rozeta LFO instead of Mozaic cc18 works fine. (Still not sure what’s wrong within mozaic but that’s for another thread (@wim was using the midi cc Randomizer v2.0, actually.))

Sorry for the false alert!

• @ohwell said:
    Looks like Mozaic noob error on my end. When using Rozeta LFO instead of Mozaic cc18 works fine. (Still not sure what’s wrong within mozaic but that’s for another thread (@wim was using the midi cc Randomizer v2.0, actually.))

I'll check out the cc randomizer to be sure it's not something wrong there.
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out the spectrum specific randomizer script instead: https://patchstorage.com/spectrum-parameter-randomizer/. (Note that pitch randomization is disabled by default in that one, but can be enabled with one of the knobs.)

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@wim said:

@ohwell said:
    Looks like Mozaic noob error on my end. When using Rozeta LFO instead of Mozaic cc18 works fine. (Still not sure what’s wrong within mozaic but that’s for another thread (@wim was using the midi cc Randomizer v2.0, actually.))

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the spectrum specific randomizer script instead: https://patchstorage.com/spectrum-parameter-randomizer/. (Note that pitch randomization is disabled by default in that one, but can be enabled with one of the knobs.)

It's a bug in the cc randomizer script 2.0 (not the spectrum randomizer script). It seems I'm one cc off when setting custom cc's. I'll get a fix out right away.

[edit] Fixed with v2.01 uploaded to patchstorage.com just now.

• @wim said:

@wim said:

@ohwell said:

It's a bug in the cc randomizer script 2.0 (not the spectrum randomizer script). It seems I'm one cc off when setting custom cc's. I'll get a fix out right away.

[edit] Fixed with v2.01 uploaded to patchstorage.com just now.

Sweet! Thanks!!

• @burns_audio said:

Well, I was just asking for feedback and debate in the thread, of course family is the 1st priority ;-)

• edited August 2019

I have been such a great time with this. Enjoying the organic sounds I'm getting. Jamming along in AUM I just can't avoid pressing the record button (which is something very unusual in me).

https://soundcloud.com/tiantong/ripplenator

Anyway, I've found this while playing and thought I'd share. Sorry if this has been posted already, I cannot check all 20 pages of this thread and search sucks. Sure it's been, in that case, just ignore the message.

Resonator FX: glitchy sounds, low notes even on high pitches
    Modal FX: no sound at all
    Granular FX: Env 1 to volume kills the sound even on 0 value or 12 o'clock.
    in spectral mode no audible effect. After that no audible effect on any mode so I have to remove from FX slot and add again.

Instruments, Modal. Distorted sound on init, buggy, glitchy.

Resonator: MAGIC, wonder, eternal exploration, discovery, mental diving,
    Spectrum: YEAH, amusement, joy, oh

Please, no critic or pressure intended. Just posted FYI. Enjoy the park and beach.

• @tiantong said:
    I have been such a great time with this. Enjoying the organic sounds I'm getting. Jamming along in AUM I just can't avoid pressing the record button (which is something very unusual in me).

Anyway, I've found this while playing and thought I'd share. Sorry if this has been posted already, I cannot check all 20 pages of this thread and search sucks. Sure it's been, in that case, just ignore the message.

in spectral mode no audible effect. After that no audible effect on any mode so I have to remove from FX slot and add again.

Please, no critic or pressure intended. Just posted FYI. Enjoy the park and beach.

Some of this is just quirks of the original modules/designs.

• @tiantong said:

Dev is working on some fixes but is finding it hard to get off the beach 🏖 at the mo 😉 some of the fx issues (effect turns off etc..) are known as mentioned in posts above and will be resolved as they are bugs 🐛

• Nice sounds!

For the resonator and modal FX, are you sending them MIDI notes? You should. MIDI notes will still set the pitch of the resonator or granular FX, and the MIDI gate is needed to trigger the envelopes.

The resonator pitch is otherwise quite low, in a future release I'll set it to something more sane as a default. And if modal FX is in "env" input mode, then you need to trigger the envelope with a MIDI note to open the amp envelope.

IIRC the granular envelope might be busted in the release version, so even if you send it MIDI notes it won't trigger. Fixed in the next release, but you could try sending it MIDI notes.

Spectral mode / pitch shifting mode on granular is just plain broken on the current release, will be fixed next release.

The only thing that I don't have a good fix / rationale for is the modal sound quality. If I make the exciter section quieter then it doesn't trigger the resonator. I'll walk through the code again probably after the next release and see if anything explains it.

• the Granular LFO is doing nothing when Random is selected. Is this a know bug?? Thanks @burns_audio !!!

• @tiantong said:

Loving the sounds in the track mate.

• This is awesome, thank you @burns_audio !

• Thanks @supadom & @burns_audio

Sending MIDI notes? Hmmm, I guess I did. The effect is in the FX slot In AUM, some synth as sound generator (I believe it was Mersenne) which is receiving notes from either my Linnstrument in standard midi mode (ie non MPE) or a sequencer (Rozeta Rhytm). Is this what you mean by sending MIDI notes?

Keep up the good work, and please find some time to go to the beach 🏝

• ^Try to also route midi notes to the effect AU (either these or some other notes ...).