Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Flow - multi-track midi sequencer/looper for Mozaic - UPDATE w/CC automation, strumming & ratcheting

edited September 2019 in General App Discussion

Hi all, I've just uploaded my little creation to PatchStorage.

https://patchstorage.com/flow/

Flow is a 7-pattern, multi-channel, 16x8 step midi looper & sequencer.

Featuring:

• 16 steps with 8 subdivisions (parts) each
  • 6 voice polyphony per part
  • 7 patterns, with midi channel configurable per pattern
  • From 1/32 to 2 bar step length giving 1/2 to 32 bar patterns
  • Live & step recording
  • Live recording stores note duration and timing for (almost) exact playback
  • Individual step / part editing, including voices, probability and duration
  • Note probability & duration can be set per part
  • Transpose mode
  • Patterns play solo or multi - easily toggle patterns ON/OFF for live performance
  • 3 quantization modes for live recording - None (as played), per part, per step

I created Flow because I got so frustrated after having played around with the OP-Z of a friend. The iOS ecosystem has so many great synths, effects, and sequencers but nothing comes even close to the efficient workflow of the OP-Z sequencer.

So, I set out to create a sequencer that facilitates a straightforward workflow - enabling me to control several synths from the same sequencer, and easy manipulation of steps, parts, voices and notes with just my fingers on both iPad and iPhone.

Please check it out and tell me what you think. I've versioned it 1.0, but that might be a bit optimistic as I'm sure there are still bugs left to iron out.

Apologies for the terrible beat in the intro video.

Many thanks to @brambos for creating the absolutely epic Mozaic!

Comments

• Great, good work!

• Thanks. Gonna have a play later on.
    Never enough ways to sequence :smiley:

• @Peblin
    (Keanu voice) Whoa

• Wow this is so amazing!

• Adding to the list, so many MIDI goodies these days. Thanks!

• Looks fantastic
    Will try tonight
    Great work
    😁

• Thanks a lot for the interesting script. I must admit didn‘t try it out yet, but instead skipped through the code :)
    Looks very clean, well structured and documented with lots of comments.

I like the naming conventions, i‘ll probably adapt to that too. And noticed your usage of figlet comments to separate the script parts B)

The feature list is impressive, i‘ll try later to record and replay something. The video gave a good first look on how your sequencer works, and how to use it.

• Really great. Thanks

• I can't keep up with all the amazing releases on Mozaic these days. But I'm definitely setting aside an evening to get into this one! Sounds like it's gonna be awesome!

• Thanks for the kind words all, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I have a lot of ideas for further development but want to collect your impressions before running to far off on a tangent :)

I've just uploaded a small patch that tries to address double note triggers when quantizing to a future step. It also mutes midi thru when step editing now.

@_ki glad you liked the code. Scripts of that size (~1300 loc) are really hard to navigate on the iPad so I added figlet comments to ease navigation. Let's share other thoughts on discord or on the Mozaic megathread, I believe that one's a bit more for the techies :)

• @Peblin Really great stuff, could this be the mythical iOS looper everyone is wishing for. First five mins play I like a lot but need to dive deeper to understand what I’m actually doing !

• @Peblin said:
    Thanks for the kind words all, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I have a lot of ideas for further development but want to collect your impressions before running to far off on a tangent :)

I've just uploaded a small patch that tries to address double note triggers when quantizing to a future step. It also mutes midi thru when step editing now.

@_ki glad you liked the code. Scripts of that size (~1300 loc) are really hard to navigate on the iPad so I added figlet comments to ease navigation. Let's share other thoughts on discord or on the Mozaic megathread, I believe that one's a bit more for the techies :)

Unbelievable!
    I hoped for something like this popping up in the future but this one exceeds what I dared to hope for.
    Really well done.

• Man, we are spoilt. Thank you!

• edited July 2019

@Peblin said:
    Thanks for the kind words all, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I have a lot of ideas for further development but want to collect your impressions before running to far off on a tangent :)

@Peblin :Does this do pretty much what the OP-Z does, sans sampling and the photo thing? Also how do I get it ? Buy Mozaic and then...........?

• edited July 2019

First off... thanks for this @Peblin ! and all of the awesome Mozaic script developers! Mozaic, along with all these cool scripts have actually saved me dough. Every time I feel like I need a new iOS app fix, I just browse for a new script to try out. :)

One thing I'm not clear on is the function of the Midi CH dial. Could someone flesh that out a bit?

Also, does the x/y pad do anything at all? If not, it'd be a lot cooler if it did. :)

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Telstar5 said:

Also how do I get it ? Buy Mozaic and then...........?

First, pat yourself on the back for making one of the wisest purchases you ever made, then ...

Follow the link to the patchstorage.com page at the top of the thread. Click the download link. If Safari says "Open in "Mozaic" then do so. If not, click "More..." or the Share icon, and find "Copy to Mozaic". Mozaic standalone will open, but will not yet have loaded the patch. close the standalone app. Load up Mozaic AU in the host of your choice, then select Load. You should see the script listed under "User Patches".

If you already had Mozaic loaded in a host when you downloaded the patch, and the patch doesn't appear, then quit the host and come back in; you should then see it.

• @skiphunt said:
    First off... thanks for this @Peblin ! and all of the awesome Mozaic script developers! Mozaic, along with all these cool scripts have actually saved me dough. Every time I feel like I need a new iOS app fix, I just try out a new script to try out. :)

One thing I'm not clear on is the function of the Midi CH function. Could someone flesh that out a bit?

Also, does the x/y pad do anything at all? If not, it'd be a lot cooler if it did. :)

The Y axis controls the volume on my TV and the X access adjusts the thermostat. pretty cool.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:
    First off... thanks for this @Peblin ! and all of the awesome Mozaic script developers! Mozaic, along with all these cool scripts have actually saved me dough. Every time I feel like I need a new iOS app fix, I just try out a new script to try out. :)

One thing I'm not clear on is the function of the Midi CH function. Could someone flesh that out a bit?

The Y axis controls the volume on my TV and the X access adjusts the thermostat. pretty cool.

noice

• @wim said:

@Telstar5 said:

Also how do I get it ? Buy Mozaic and then...........?

First, pat yourself on the back for making one of the wisest purchases you ever made, then ...

Follow the link to the patchstorage.com page at the top of the thread. Click the download link. If Safari says "Open in "Mozaic" then do so. If not, click "More..." or the Share icon, and find "Copy to Mozaic". Mozaic standalone will open, but will not yet have loaded the patch. close the standalone app. Load up Mozaic AU in the host of your choice, then select Load. You should see the script listed under "User Patches".

If you already had Mozaic loaded in a host when you downloaded the patch, and the patch doesn't appear, then quit the host and come back in; you should then see it.

Thank you. Really appreciate this. Off to buy the Moz.

• @wim : Thanks so much

• Thanks @wim : Done

• @wim said:

In the latest update I've added a refresh-button in the preset window. Most of the time pressing this will be enough to show the new preset and you won't need to quit the host :)

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Peblin :Does this do pretty much what the OP-Z does, sans sampling and the photo thing? Also how do I get it ? Buy Mozaic and then...........?

I wouldn’t say that - but it does give you a lot of the efficiency of the OP-Z workflow with both live recording and step editing. Flow also has the ”multi-track” aspect of OP-Z - super-easy to control several tracks/synths from the same sequencer.
    But OP-Z is deeper with its step components and several ways to affect pattern lengths/playback.

@skiphunt said:
    One thing I'm not clear on is the function of the Midi CH dial. Could someone flesh that out a bit?

The Midi CH controls the output channel of the selected pattern. So if you set up your instruments to listen to Flow on separate midi channels, you can then just use the Midi CH dial to control which instrument a pattern plays. It’s really fun and you can do creative stuff like connecting an S&H LFO to the Midi CH knob to have a pattern switch instruments randomly.

The X/Y pad doesn’t do anything at the moment - it’s part of the faders view in Mozaic and can’t be disabled. That view is currently only used when editing the voices of a part, and I’m not sure how X/Y would help there - but suggestions are very welcome :)

• edited July 2019

@gmslayton Hey Mich would love to see you do a video on this great Mozaic sequencer if you own the app. It’s pretty deep once you get into it and a video of setting it up is badly needed.

No offence to @Peblin great video but an audio commentary would make this easier to understand.

• edited July 2019

@Peblin,Thank you very much for this great achievement! This was the sequencer I was waiting for. I can’t wait to test the (un)quantized midi looping feature. Also thanks for Bram Bos for creating this wonderful scripting environment.

• This is a great plug-in @Peblin
    A couple questions:
    1. Can you adjust the timing per Pattern? Right now it appears to be global. If i adjust it on 1 Pattern, all Patterns inherit the timing. I want Pattern 1 set to 1/4, Pattern 2 set to 1/16, Pattern 3 set to 1 bar...etc...
    2. Is there anyway to make the Midi Channel, and any per Pattern value sticky? Right now the value remains on whatever it was last set to instead of reflecting what it is actually set to. The values appear to reflect correctly in the Edit Note view when invoked via Press+hold + Shift.
    3. What do the values 0000001, etc represent after entering notes? Can you just reflect the Notes by default without having to Press+Hold the note to see its actual Note?

Anyway...this is a magical plug-in you’ve made. Loving it so far...it’s crazy fun 👊🏼™️💕

• @echoopera said:
    This is a great plug-in @Peblin
    1. Can you adjust the timing per Pattern? Right now it appears to be global. If i adjust it on 1 Pattern, all Patterns inherit the timing. I want Pattern 1 set to 1/4, Pattern 2 set to 1/16, Pattern 3 set to 1 bar...etc...

Timing is currently global. Per-pattern is on my todo-list, as well as other ways of playing a pattern (UP/DOWN/RANDOM etc). I’m missing it too! :smile: It requires me to rework how the timing works though so a bit of effort.

1. Is there anyway to make the Midi Channel, and any per Pattern value sticky? Right now the value remains on whatever it was last set to instead of reflecting what it is actually set to. The values appear to reflect correctly in the Edit Note view when invoked via Press+hold + Shift.

I thought the Midi CH was sticky - will check if I forgot something. I’ll make the rest of the parameters ”per pattern” as well and make them sticky!

1. What do the values 0000001, etc represent after entering notes? Can you just reflect the Notes by default without having to Press+Hold the note to see its actual Note?

The values represent the number of voices per part in a step. So in your example part 8 has one voice active. 30004000 might mean that there’s a triad chord on part 1, and a maj7 on part 5.

I’ve really been struggling to come up with something clever to show on the pads. I’d love to show actual notes, but string manipulation in Mozaic is not supported and pads only show some 8 characters. So for ~3 voices the pad label would truncate like ”C3...4#” which is not very useful.

For part labels, the pad displays something like ”C3:3”. That means that voice1 is C3, and there are 3 voices in total for the part.

Anyway...this is a magical plug-in you’ve made. Loving it so far...it’s crazy fun 👊🏼™️💕

• This is amazing! Very impressive and well thought-out script! :)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @gmslayton Hey Mich would love to see you do a video on this great Mozaic sequencer if you own the app. It’s pretty deep once you get into it and a video of setting it upon is badly needed. No offence to @Peblin great video but an audio commentary would make this easier to understand.

Aw Hell yeah!!!!

• @Jumpercollins thanks man for the recommendation. I do not currently have this app, but I will look into it. I do prefer video with audio commentary as well, I tend to turn off a video if I have to set there and read the words. I am usually doing about 10 things at once so...